Prayut warns he may stay longer in office if opposing political groups refuse to stop fighting

webfact

"Take it your backing up Lhanna Guy. just the usual reply I would expect from a PM hater on TVF ( it is general on TVF if you do not hate the PM your deemed as being a lover of) ridiculous. MY first 5 words has nothing to do with this love you talk about. grow up if you cannot contribute better than this."

Ginjag, welcome to my reply post. Please 'take a number' and I will be with you shortly after I have run your above response through 'Google Translate' to understand it...

I understand you love the PM, unconditionally. Please understand that many of us have well reasoned arguments why you and your team are firmly on the 'wrong side of history'. What is most worrying is that the vast majority of pro-army supporters don't seem to be able to demonstrate much in the way of independent thinking, you in particular even 'sound' like the PM, hence my 'juvenile' response. By the way 'Lampoon' is not a province in Thailand. No doubt that humble attempt at wit will also sail over your head like the BTS.

Do continue, I've watched all the John Oliver episodes about Thailand on youtube, and could use a good cackle.

There are John Oliver episodes about Thailand? Thanks for the heads-up, I'll look for them.

BTW, you've pegged ginjag perfectly--unconditional love for PM, combined with a rejection of facts and lessons of history.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You sir have no idea about me at all. I have been here for 50 years and my family owns property in several provinces as well as homes and cars.I have a Thai wife, children and grand children who all want a future. I have plenty to lose and I have plenty of past experiences with several coups and governments in Thailand. I still stand by my statement that the expatriate in Thailand and their family members should have no fear because there is a military government. They should be very afraid should the Shin clique return to power.and there is a civil war which the Shin clique would advocate as they believe they have numbers of support. What are you afraid of- please tell us.?

The life of the Expatriate in Thailand has not been impeded by the Junta at all. We come and go as we please. We still enjoy the weather, the beaches, nightlife or whatever Thailand has to offer. No one is running up to us asking who we support or do not support and keeping score. No foreigner has been taken to a dark place and questioned as to their political leanings. Those of us who watch Thai TV still see different opinions being offered. We still get our letters and packages from abroad without being censored. If anything, our life has improved. There are no street demonstrations obstructing traffic and business. We can still complain about everything without fear of censorship on this board. Stop wishing this place was like New York, London or Singapore.

Yes, the life of the "expatriate", lager louts and sexpats make up the majority most likely, has not been impeded. How about the lives of 70 million Thais?

The Junta's main goal that way I read it is to rid Thailand of the Shin Clan and its brand of money politics as well as preserve Thailand's traditions which in the mind of many were under attack from the Shin Clan. Rewriting the Constitution and the organic laws to do this is a huge undertaking but to accomplish the goal of stopping the ability to buy elections it has to be done. Looking back at past military and civilian administrations a few stand out. The Prem government is responsible for the huge growth in GDP in Thailand and the opening of tourism and liberalized Visa rules If you think extension of stay is bureaucratic now- you should have seen what it was 40 years ago. The Kukrit Pramoj Government ordered the departure of US Forces from Thailand which stabilized its relationship with other Asian Nations. the Anand Government liberalized business and opened the country to more overseas investment which created jobs for Thais. It is interesting to note that 2 our of the 3 were military type government as the result of a coup. However, none of the governments were able to tackle the insipid corruption that permeates the country.

While I do not think military governments are the wave of the future as the military normally does not have the expertise to do the job. However, I see the current Prime Minster as bringing into his cabinet experts to handle things like Finance and Foreign Affairs and others. that is what a good leader does. You are only as good as your support staff. The job he has undertaken is so incredibly difficult it will be a miracle if he can completely succeed. We all know what the problems are..He has only been in power 18 months nowhere near enough time to solve the problems that prior governments could never solve. He does have Section 44 but every time he uses it he is criticized for using it. Unfortunately, he is using it for some of the minor things.

How he will transition from a military government to an elected one is really going to be difficult. I really don't see any leaders out there who could be elected and make any difference. Thailand needs a young, energetic type person who can rally the electorate to him/her and push all the reforms needed. He may go to an interim civilian leader to do this before a vote. I hope he succeeds. A return to the Red Shirt-Yellow Shirt days will be chaos. I rather like the calm.

]

"The Junta's main goal that way I read it is to rid Thailand of the Shin Clan and its brand of money politics as well as preserve Thailand's traditions which in the mind of many were under attack from the Shin Clan."

You mean the tradition of having the same old elite controlling everything?

Good to hear…...

Never mind the bossy Yanks shouting about democracy. They should mind their own business.

An Election here would be a disaster as all the crooks, corrupt cronies and the Square Head Mafia would be back just as before.

The poor people of Issan control the winner of any election and that's not good ….. regardless of democracy.

The situation here is unique and the General PM knows it.

EnglishJohn, is that you matey?

"The poor people of Issan control the winner of any election and that's not good ….. regardless of democracy."

John, did you forget to add "stupid" in that sentence?

The lives of 70 million Thais are not impeded at all except for the few that want to flaunt the authority that is keeping order and trying to improve Thailand. there are no concentration camps with thousands of political prisoners. Those who flout the regime and engage in politics are taken in and questioned. Thai people go to work every day or go to their shops and business and conduct themselves the same way as they did before the coup. As I mentioned previous Thai Television still shows discussions on various topics pro and con. The newspapers are relatively free but without different political camps attempting to fool people into believing they will actually do something.. Shall we return to the street demonstrations; seizing of portions of downtown Bangkok and burning of buildings . All the Thai people I know like the quiet.

Edited by Thaidream

Regarding the poster who commented about the elite continuing to control misses the point. There are those who want to come to power and destroy old traditions and Thai culture. They are the ones who want to stay in power forever using money politics /The Junta wants to preserve those things af the past that make Thailand unique . Unfortunately, some of our rural friends do not understand this concept and are being brainwashed by a megalomaniac-who by the way is also a convicted criminal.

The life of the Expatriate in Thailand has not been impeded by the Junta at all. We come and go as we please. We still enjoy the weather, the beaches, nightlife or whatever Thailand has to offer. No one is running up to us asking who we support or do not support and keeping score. No foreigner has been taken to a dark place and questioned as to their political leanings. Those of us who watch Thai TV still see different opinions being offered. We still get our letters and packages from abroad without being censored. If anything, our life has improved. There are no street demonstrations obstructing traffic and business. We can still complain about everything without fear of censorship on this board. Stop wishing this place was like New York, London or Singapore.

You are speaking like a 3 month tourist. Many expats have much more vested in the future of the country than days at the beach and a bit of nightlife.

Many have family, businesses etc and as such are much more at stake than someone like you, who comes for a 3 month holiday, has nothing vested in the country and can dissapear to somewhere like Phillipines to get your kicks should it go pear shaped here.

It's inevitable that it will go pear shaped..the in equality of income and opportunity is too great. Hi so privilege is entrenched and they are disparaging of the less well off ( rural poor).

I am indifferent to the politics since the first coup I experienced in the 80's.( choonawan).

But one thing has changed the Shins have upset the balance ( mostly for their own benefit) and the genie is now out of the bottle.

Thailand has always had under currents of violence..it is now on the surface..

Philippines isn't an alternative.

Juntas don't work...that's obvious..but what is the alternative at this point.

You must have a plan B, but you should have had one when you first started having a family and other interests. Thailand has never been stable for decades..

" don't put your eggs all in one basket" comes to mind...something most foreigners seem to completely ignore..even as a young man here in the early 80's it was obvious then to keep your initial investments in a place you know and has a rule of law..and then buy here..

Whether Khun prayut stays or goes, or who is in power...you need a strategy..an exit strategy..as with all investments..

Edited by huawei

You sir have no idea about me at all. I have been here for 50 years and my family owns property in several provinces as well as homes and cars.I have a Thai wife, children and grand children who all want a future. I have plenty to lose and I have plenty of past experiences with several coups and governments in Thailand. I still stand by my statement that the expatriate in Thailand and their family members should have no fear because there is a military government. They should be very afraid should the Shin clique return to power.and there is a civil war which the Shin clique would advocate as they believe they have numbers of support. What are you afraid of- please tell us.?

If the military holds on to power too long I think there is a distinct possibility of a civil war, or the kind of repression seen in Burma used to stifle dissent.

Do you think there would be a civil war if elected governments were allowed to stay in place until the next election? In other words, if the military and Democrats actually respected election results?

He is right....better than having some red mob burning downtown Bangkok again.

Better less democracy than deads on the street.

The problems will start when PTP win the election. Why would the reds burn anything down if their party wins?

As I recall, the people who burned down Bangkok (by which they mean one building which was soeculated to be an insurance scam and burned down by the owners anyway) were never found.

I don't suppose the cops consulted the junta-huggers ion TV though... would have been easy convictions if they had...

The lives of 70 million Thais are not impeded at all except for the few that want to flaunt the authority that is keeping order and trying to improve Thailand. there are no concentration camps with thousands of political prisoners. Those who flout the regime and engage in politics are taken in and questioned. Thai people go to work every day or go to their shops and business and conduct themselves the same way as they did before the coup. As I mentioned previous Thai Television still shows discussions on various topics pro and con. The newspapers are relatively free but without different political camps attempting to fool people into believing they will actually do something.. Shall we return to the street demonstrations; seizing of portions of downtown Bangkok and burning of buildings . All the Thai people I know like the quiet.

Regarding the poster who commented about the elite continuing to control misses the point. There are those who want to come to power and destroy old traditions and Thai culture. They are the ones who want to stay in power forever using money politics /The Junta wants to preserve those things af the past that make Thailand unique . Unfortunately, some of our rural friends do not understand this concept and are being brainwashed by a megalomaniac-who by the way is also a convicted criminal.

Detention without charge for exercising free speech is ok? The newspapers are relatively free? Democracy will destroy old traditions and Thai culture?

You post too much BS to respond to.

He is right....better than having some red mob burning downtown Bangkok again.

Better less democracy than deads on the street.

The problems will start when PTP win the election. Why would the reds burn anything down if their party wins?

As I recall, the people who burned down Bangkok (by which they mean one building which was soeculated to be an insurance scam and burned down by the owners anyway) were never found.

I don't suppose the cops consulted the junta-huggers ion TV though... would have been easy convictions if they had...

Point is, if the opposition to the reds honour any possible victory they have in an election their won't be any protests..... If ptp wins, it won't be the reds who cast the first stone.

I don't think there will be a civil war at all. If an elected government comes into place without the dinosaurs of the past in any position of power, it will be accepted. This is going to be difficult unless they ban all of the former politicians on both sides and crush the money politics of the past. As long as no one from the Shin Clan can ever hold power- things should go as smoothly as possible with the gives and takes of any government.

You have been here 50 years and in that time Thailand has changed beyond all recognition. Modern societies move forward, create institutions that support all citizens not just a privileged few.

Fortunately the rural poor are now being given a voice and so they should. Unfortunately it took a less than ethical individual to do that, but history is full of these characters.

Education hasn't progressed at all upcountry..is that a tradition you want to preserve.

Old traditions..just look at Songkran..etc..

I don't think there will be a civil war at all. If an elected government comes into place without the dinosaurs of the past in any position of power, it will be accepted. This is going to be difficult unless they ban all of the former politicians on both sides and crush the money politics of the past. As long as no one from the Shin Clan can ever hold power- things should go as smoothly as possible with the gives and takes of any government.

A civil war is inevitable. It won't be in Bangkok.

"All the Thai people I know like the quiet."

Yes, that is what you hear.

Because it is illegal to speak out against "the quiet".

The Junta's main goal that way I read it is to rid Thailand of the Shin Clan and its brand of money politics as well as preserve Thailand's traditions which in the mind of many were under attack from the Shin Clan. Rewriting the Constitution and the organic laws to do this is a huge undertaking but to accomplish the goal of stopping the ability to buy elections it has to be done. Looking back at past military and civilian administrations a few stand out. The Prem government is responsible for the huge growth in GDP in Thailand and the opening of tourism and liberalized Visa rules If you think extension of stay is bureaucratic now- you should have seen what it was 40 years ago. The Kukrit Pramoj Government ordered the departure of US Forces from Thailand which stabilized its relationship with other Asian Nations. the Anand Government liberalized business and opened the country to more overseas investment which created jobs for Thais. It is interesting to note that 2 our of the 3 were military type government as the result of a coup. However, none of the governments were able to tackle the insipid corruption that permeates the country.

While I do not think military governments are the wave of the future as the military normally does not have the expertise to do the job. However, I see the current Prime Minster as bringing into his cabinet experts to handle things like Finance and Foreign Affairs and others. that is what a good leader does. You are only as good as your support staff. The job he has undertaken is so incredibly difficult it will be a miracle if he can completely succeed. We all know what the problems are..He has only been in power 18 months nowhere near enough time to solve the problems that prior governments could never solve. He does have Section 44 but every time he uses it he is criticized for using it. Unfortunately, he is using it for some of the minor things.

How he will transition from a military government to an elected one is really going to be difficult. I really don't see any leaders out there who could be elected and make any difference. Thailand needs a young, energetic type person who can rally the electorate to him/her and push all the reforms needed. He may go to an interim civilian leader to do this before a vote. I hope he succeeds. A return to the Red Shirt-Yellow Shirt days will be chaos. I rather like the calm.

It is nice to see a pro-PM response that is coherent and draws upon fact.

However, applauding the few, sporadic, and piecemeal changes past junta/governments ushered in is not an excuse for running a 21st century dynamic asian country based on the 'Serfdom' model. That is at the root of all the issues the country faces today.

A continued failure to even be able to talk about these dynamics, will eventually lead to the breakup of the nation as we know it.

"All the Thai people I know like the quiet."

Yes, that is what you hear.

Because it is illegal to speak out against "the quiet".

Thaidream, Get 'your' Thai people to call 'my' Thai people and we'll 'do lunch'. Just don't bring any sandwiches... wai.gif

Up north 'the quiet' is because many talk in whispers now, and my Thai friends remind me that in Thailand, a silent smile can mask many many emotions.

The old traditions I am talking about have nothing to do with lack of education or the rural poor. Please read between the lines as to my actual meaning.

There is no doubt that the rural areas need to be attended to. There is a lack of education and too many poor Thais that need to be assisted. Part of the reason that this never happens is that by some estimates 30% of the National budget is stolen via corruption. This has been going on forever. Do we really need that type of government in Thailand. In fact, the Shin governments did provide some funds to rural areas simply to keep them quiet just like Western governments do and curry their votes. None of this is sustainable long term. In addition, the power of the land was usurped by the Yingluck government who tried to destroy Thailand's rice crop by trying to corner the market. Why is everyone so sure that the current military government will not be able to develop a long term strategy to bring investment into Thailand and into Issan? The PM knows a lot more about Thailand than you or I and I am sure he has a complete picture of what needs to be done to move away from the 'old days' and bring Thailand into the 21st Century. I just don't want Thailand to become like the US, UK or Singapore- .

As far as the poster stating that Thai people cannot express their viewpoint. They can and do. I read letters all the time of Thais complainig about this and that. They just cannot engage in politics- not yet anyway.

No doubt that the Thai smile can mean many things and you are right- Thai people speak in whispers but that is the point- they were screaming at each other before. I don't know about having lunch- you and I would probably be Ok but getting a bunch of Thais in the same room with different opinions would probably not be prudent unless alcohol and guns were banned.

The country has been running better than when under Yingluck & prior"democratic" Gov'ts & PM Prayut has & is doing a good job.

Realistically,there has been little change to day to day living & in some respects has improved.

Yes, I know, the "naysayers" will say,"keep taking the medicine" !!

Funny what can really change when you have a hammer over the peoples heads called article 44. Kind of puts a one way slant on things. Yes you were right on one point keep taking the medicine. Your still in the running for the foreigner Junta Poster Boy. All you had to do is peel the layers back on this onion and you know the smell would linger and you would break out in tears.

U really are in dreamland.

If the election happens and ptp wins, which side do you think will be first to protest? Will the army stop it no.

If the dems win, with reds protest, probably, with the army stop it, yes.

But, likelihood is that ptp with win. So watch this space because then the fun is really going to start.

The old traditions I am talking about have nothing to do with lack of education or the rural poor. Please read between the lines as to my actual meaning.

There is no doubt that the rural areas need to be attended to. There is a lack of education and too many poor Thais that need to be assisted. Part of the reason that this never happens is that by some estimates 30% of the National budget is stolen via corruption. This has been going on forever. Do we really need that type of government in Thailand. In fact, the Shin governments did provide some funds to rural areas simply to keep them quiet just like Western governments do and curry their votes. None of this is sustainable long term. In addition, the power of the land was usurped by the Yingluck government who tried to destroy Thailand's rice crop by trying to corner the market. Why is everyone so sure that the current military government will not be able to develop a long term strategy to bring investment into Thailand and into Issan? The PM knows a lot more about Thailand than you or I and I am sure he has a complete picture of what needs to be done to move away from the 'old days' and bring Thailand into the 21st Century. I just don't want Thailand to become like the US, UK or Singapore- .

As far as the poster stating that Thai people cannot express their viewpoint. They can and do. I read letters all the time of Thais complainig about this and that. They just cannot engage in politics- not yet anyway.

The establishment had 75 years in Bangkok to bring development to North and North East.

How is it working out so far. Still 20mn farmers supplying a protected oligopoly of mega companies who take zero risk and periodically allow farmers to be completely at the vagaries of the climate.....

A civil war is inevitable. It won't be in Bangkok.

Agreed. A continued failure to even be able to talk about certain dynamics, will eventually lead to the breakup of the nation as we know it.

The situation that has existed here since forever can be allegorized as trying to get a 4x4 selectable drivetrain vehicle out of quicksand without even being able to suggest the driver engage the 4x4 drivetrain OR the cable winch.

I seriously doubt there will be a PTP or a Democratic Party in the next election. All new parties with all new faces and new ideas. Those of the past are the dinosaurs. Those of the future will lead. One of the purposes of the coup is to rid Thailand of money politics.

I doubt the military would let the country split up. They still hold onto the Southern Muslim Provinces

Edited by Thaidream

The self elected one has never had any intention to leave his plum job , he was most probably planning to become PM two years before his retirement !

You could have a point its funny how he went from retirement right into this office directly. Kismet? A star alignment? Preplanned? Its not just Thailand people world wide are loosing their rights left and right. The IMF keeps coming out with some weird stuff lately one world economy, legalize all drugs (keep the masses sedated.) one world currency all electronic and the list goes on. We are under attack subtly yes but from many directions.