Prayut warns he may stay longer in office if opposing political groups refuse to stop fighting

webfact

He is right....better than having some red mob burning downtown Bangkok again.

Better less democracy than deads on the street.

You can’t just keep kicking out elected Government who have millions supporting them, and then suddenly turn around and be surprised that violence erupts.

Eerrr apparently you can - it is called normal Thai politics...

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The lives of 70 million Thais are not impeded at all except for the few that want to flaunt the authority that is keeping order and trying to improve Thailand. there are no concentration camps with thousands of political prisoners. Those who flout the regime and engage in politics are taken in and questioned. Thai people go to work every day or go to their shops and business and conduct themselves the same way as they did before the coup. As I mentioned previous Thai Television still shows discussions on various topics pro and con. The newspapers are relatively free but without different political camps attempting to fool people into believing they will actually do something.. Shall we return to the street demonstrations; seizing of portions of downtown Bangkok and burning of buildings . All the Thai people I know like the quiet.

U really are in dreamland.

If the election happens and ptp wins, which side do you think will be first to protest? Will the army stop it no.

If the dems win, with reds protest, probably, with the army stop it, yes.

But, likelihood is that ptp with win. So watch this space because then the fun is really going to start.

It's you that's in dreamland if you actually think PTP would win after the last corrupt ending Amnesty an illegal vote,----think about it they only got to govern last time when they were bursting with glee, and got a miserable 35% and had to beg a coalition------what % now all has been revealed. NO CHANCE your dream.

I think you're wrong and that your opinion has more to do with hatred of Thaksin than rationality.

But I imagine we'll see in due course. because the current jester-in-chief is heading for an epic fall. Either by his own hand or that of his enemies.

Or that of his friends. I suspect the latter.

Better to have your heroes Suthep & Co. massacring innocents, raping women and smashing dozens of children with the tanks ?

Edited by max72

The lives of 70 million Thais are not impeded at all except for the few that want to flaunt the authority that is keeping order and trying to improve Thailand. there are no concentration camps with thousands of political prisoners. Those who flout the regime and engage in politics are taken in and questioned. Thai people go to work every day or go to their shops and business and conduct themselves the same way as they did before the coup. As I mentioned previous Thai Television still shows discussions on various topics pro and con. The newspapers are relatively free but without different political camps attempting to fool people into believing they will actually do something.. Shall we return to the street demonstrations; seizing of portions of downtown Bangkok and burning of buildings . All the Thai people I know like the quiet.

If the election happens and ptp wins, which side do you think will be first to protest? Will the army stop it no.

But, likelihood is that ptp with win. So watch this space because then the fun is really going to start.

It's you that's in dreamland if you actually think PTP would win after the last corrupt ending Amnesty an illegal vote,----think about it they only got to govern last time when they were bursting with glee, and got a miserable 35% and had to beg a coalition------what % now all has been revealed. NO CHANCE your dream.
The PTP will continue to win since for the farmers of the North/North East there is no alternative. Voting ( when the generals graciously allow it) for the Dems is like voting for continued old elite rule and that they certainly won't do.

One could dream about a new political movement arising that's neither red nor yellow, and with leaders that actually cared about the country and the population but I just don't see it happening. Unfortunately it's not part of Thainess and that's why things won't change for the foreseeable future.

Edited by MZurf

I think you're wrong and that your opinion has more to do with hatred of Thaksin than rationality.

But I imagine we'll see in due course. because the current jester-in-chief is heading for an epic fall. Either by his own hand or that of his enemies.

Or that of his friends. I suspect the latter.

yes he is lying. The LEAST corrupt government in Thai history was that of Thaksin, according to Transparency International.

After he was removed illegally and against the Constitution (Sonthi words, he admitted it), the corruption index rose dramatically.

There is no pleasing some people. When Bangkok was locked down and burning, the economy was in tatters and corrupt rice schemes were raping the coffers, this column was full of complaints. Now it is relatively peaceful and it s still full of whinging readers! At least he has brought some stability and if he stops waffling on about corruption, mafias and the economy and gets on with it, I really don't care how long he stays. Democracy is not for all countries and I have a business to run.

Well as long as your business is running I guess everything is ok. God forbid a trivial matter like a people's right to self-determination get in the way of that. Stability? It's a veneer conjured up through the threat of being forcibly silenced. I wonder what the families of the Erawan victims would have to say about the current stability.

If the PM really wanted to fight corruction, so how it is possible that 10 times more expensive that a 10 years old kid could buy in a normal shop? How it is possible that people die when in custady and no authopsie is done? people falling out of the window when police want to arrest them, very strange!

what about the Koh Tao case? PM said it s the best police work ever. Cash rewards to police! Accusing former goverment and arresting

red shirts leaders, but no others!

If he really wanted to change something than he is driving in the wrong direction. His exit is clear a totalitary state with no rights for his people.

That is good news and good to hear. I hope he stays for ten more years. The country is actually functioning, well, at least as well as can be expected here. Sure as heck better then under the so called "democracies" that paraded through here the last 20 years. Screw the western govts and their opinions, they should look to their own broken govts before telling others how to run theirs. Some groups don't work well nor actually want nor need "democracies". This country worked quite well in the 1970's and 80's under the various Generals in charge, well, enough to take off as an "Asian Tiger". People tend to forget that. Things only went pear shaped when so called "democracy" was implemented and one corrupt and purchased "democratic" govt after another took charge and raped the populace. Keep the Generals, the people are happier and the place actually works.

Good post, couldn't have put it better myself!!

Sociopaths Unite!

They will be there are thereabouts to form the next govt. I don't see why the rural voters will give a damn about the amnesty issue. They might make a coalition, but the dems haven't formed a govt from an election for a long time.

"The lives of 70 million Thais are not impeded at all." Apart from the awesome consummate ineffable folly of this phrase, how have you arrived at knowing that the lives of 70 million Thais are not impeded? Have you communicated with 70 million Thais? That would be the only way your sentence is not total rubbish. As to "All the Thai people I know like the quiet". There's always an element in every society that loves a police state, including the LOS.

The country has been running better than when under Yingluck & prior"democratic" Gov'ts & PM Prayut has & is doing a good job.

Realistically,there has been little change to day to day living & in some respects has improved.

Yes, I know, the "naysayers" will say,"keep taking the medicine" !!

Can you give a single example of how the country is "running better"?

The economy is far far worse. Infrastructure projects STILL haven't taken off. Thai airlines are being investigated and blacklisted. Thai fishing is being investigated and blacklisted. The government is sending journalists to attitude adjustment for not writing what they want. Students are being arrested for eating sandwiches. The internet is being <deleted> with. Corruption is still rampant. The work of Prayut-appointed legislative bodies has thus far gone no where. Thai universities rankings continue to fall. Thai business rankings continue to fall. No progress has been made in the South.

but hey, we got Chinese tourists

intheclub.gif

The issue of the economy is not limited to Thailand & not know of any economies in better shape than they were 1 -2 yrs ago. Can you name any?

All the items you mention have been that way for many years & doubt there is a quick fix. Do you imagine the country would be any better under Yingluck's Gov't, the rot had already started & the Junta inherited a basket case. The Gov't paid out the rice farmers immediately, doubt that would have occurred w/ prior Gov't. Sure there's a lot to fix & get on with, but it's a more stable environment than previously & that was my point. I try to have a positive outlook, not wallow in negativity; life too short. Enjoy!!

Don't you think it suspicious that all the banks refused Yingluck the money to pay the rice farmers, but as soon as the army took over the money was immediately available. To me this indicates that the military used the the banks to refuse the rice farmers for political expediency, knowing that they would be able to have the money when they wanted it. So they made the rice farmers suffer, several committing suicide. Nice man Gen Prayuth.

It reminds me a bit of America during a Carter presidency, when those hoping Reagan would be elected (and needed him to appear 'tough' to win the election), held up military trasporation for the Iran-hostages, so that they could make Carter look weak, and then supplied the needed transportation immediately when Reagan won the election. The cheers for Reagan at the time, signaled the beginning of the end for unions and the middle-class in America. Except, this is sped up greatly in Thailand's case, for there not even being the pretense of a democracy anymore.

"All the Thai people I know like the quiet."

Yes, that is what you hear.

Because it is illegal to speak out against "the quiet".

Thaidream, Get 'your' Thai people to call 'my' Thai people and we'll 'do lunch'. Just don't bring any sandwiches... wai.gif

Up north 'the quiet' is because many talk in whispers now, and my Thai friends remind me that in Thailand, a silent smile can mask many many emotions.

I'm told by my landlady that I'm the first falang to live in the village. And since I'm trusted, I assure y'all that all 3,000 quietly loathe the current administration. ThaiDream is too busy arranging the deck-chairs on the Thaitanic to know there's a silent iceberg waiting for him

Two simple questions then:

Why did the opposition ensure that the 2014 election was trashed, if they were certain to win it?

Why won't the current junta government hold an election, if they or there favoured faction are certain to win it?

I agree with you about that, but the economy is going down fast. I know of several medium sized companies that have economic problems because buyer and investor confidence is low. One, a Japanese company is talking of moving to Singapore.

How long can that carry on?

The poor are getting more and more in debt. How long will they accept this without protesting or rising up?

Edited by petedk

He may stay longer in office if:

1. The drought continues in Issan

2. There continues to be attacks on citizens in S. Thailand.

4. Bangkok continues to sink under water.

5. Smog blankets Chiang Mai.

6. The Cambodians test the Thai/Cambodian border.

7. Thaksin is still alive.

8. Tourist trade is below normal

9. He stumps his toe while entering a Buddhist Temple

10. Someone says boo.

Breaking news: New elections scheduled in the year 2525. There is a song about that somewhere.... crazy.gif

Was this a shock to anyone out there in TV land??? The emperor is in his glory wielding a big 44 stick nobody can stand in his way. When he looks in a mirror all he sees is a benevolent leader feeding a few crumbs to the poor and down trodden and he has things sewed up. The elite are singing "Happy Days Are Here Again" He is just a small cog in a big world wide wheel where this same game is being played out in one shape or another but they are interlinked. Another couple years of this and he will believe he can part the Red Sea. And the few shall dominate the many.

Quite a collection of BS offered there ' half jokingly ' said he might have to stay on, ' never entertained the idea of staying longer in the office ' and ' just wanted to stay in the office as necessity warrants '.

Let's try this again Mr. PM and this time with more sincerity. cheesy.gif

He carries a big stick forget sincerity.

Why didn't this logic apply when the reds were in power? The yellows were very keen on the right to protest a few years ago... what happened to that? Thailand could have peace if the yellows accepted (elected) red government.

And when the Democrats were in power the red did worse....didn't accept that "elected" government.

You can't have civil war....Better Prayut without democracy than civil war or the Shinawatras (in my opinion....you may prefer the Shinawatras)

I agree with you about that, but the economy is going down fast. I know of several medium sized companies that have economic problems because buyer and investor confidence is low. One, a Japanese company is talking of moving to Singapore.

How long can that carry on?

The poor are getting more and more in debt. How long will they accept this without protesting or rising up?

That is a big problem and I don't see any measurements from Prayut to stop that.

That might be his downfall.

Terrible news. My only hope is that Gen P does not use the countries money to fund a personal PR campaign aimed at convincing the feeble minded/gullible that only Gen P cares for them, is good enough for them, and is the only one they will accept as ruler. This sort of machiavellian behavior has caused the country endless grief over the last 15 years or so.

If only Switzerland or Norway could annex Thailand and implement the necessary reforms. How sad there is not a single person living here that is capable of putting the country before himself.

Forget living here there are none on the planet who will put country before self. Do they build a big mausoleum library here to shout your praises to the roof tops after you have moved on? You can go and visit Romping Ronnies and see the big plane that ferried him around the world. How will you and I be remembered hmm let me think on that. I watched the Babylonians on the debate last night babble on about this and that but nothing concrete was uttered except to knock the media moderators. I guess you use that weapon when all else fails including yourself. In all honesty the media moderator was terrible/sucked but decorum should have reigned. After all the debate was a cash machine for CNBC so why expect to much take the money and run.

Why didn't this logic apply when the reds were in power? The yellows were very keen on the right to protest a few years ago... what happened to that? Thailand could have peace if the yellows accepted (elected) red government.

And when the Democrats were in power the red did worse....didn't accept that "elected" government.

You can't have civil war....Better Prayut without democracy than civil war or the Shinawatras (in my opinion....you may prefer the Shinawatras)

Better an election and see where the cards fall....

One side calling for elections

Other side calling for a coup

One side shot in the streets

Other side with army guards

He may stay longer in office if:

1. The drought continues in Issan

2. There continues to be attacks on citizens in S. Thailand.

4. Bangkok continues to sink under water.

5. Smog blankets Chiang Mai.

6. The Cambodians test the Thai/Cambodian border.

7. Thaksin is still alive.

8. Tourist trade is below normal

9. He stumps his toe while entering a Buddhist Temple

10. Someone says boo.

Or takes a selfie with a bottle of Singha

The old traditions I am talking about have nothing to do with lack of education or the rural poor. Please read between the lines as to my actual meaning.

There is no doubt that the rural areas need to be attended to. There is a lack of education and too many poor Thais that need to be assisted. Part of the reason that this never happens is that by some estimates 30% of the National budget is stolen via corruption. This has been going on forever. Do we really need that type of government in Thailand. In fact, the Shin governments did provide some funds to rural areas simply to keep them quiet just like Western governments do and curry their votes. None of this is sustainable long term. In addition, the power of the land was usurped by the Yingluck government who tried to destroy Thailand's rice crop by trying to corner the market. Why is everyone so sure that the current military government will not be able to develop a long term strategy to bring investment into Thailand and into Issan? The PM knows a lot more about Thailand than you or I and I am sure he has a complete picture of what needs to be done to move away from the 'old days' and bring Thailand into the 21st Century. I just don't want Thailand to become like the US, UK or Singapore- .

As far as the poster stating that Thai people cannot express their viewpoint. They can and do. I read letters all the time of Thais complainig about this and that. They just cannot engage in politics- not yet anyway.

"Part of the reason that this never happens is that by some estimates 30% of the National budget is stolen via corruption. This has been going on forever."

Yes, it's been going on during military and civilian rule. If the junta wanted to change it they would actually implement rules, such as transparency, that would make it much more difficult. However the junta has made it clear that they don't like transparency. It is as corrupt as every other government.

However as recent events in Guatemala and Honduras indicate, when people in a democracy get tired of corruption the politicians have to take note. People protesting corruption under military rule doesn't work, it just makes things bloody.

"In fact, the Shin governments did provide some funds to rural areas simply to keep them quiet just like Western governments do and curry their votes. None of this is sustainable long term."

Prior to Thaksin's election as PM 90% of Thailand's public spending went to benefit Bangkok. http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21595453-both-sides-stand-must-back-down-or-risk-their-countrys-disintegration-way-out This was unsustainable. The government served Bangkok and ignored the rest of the country. While Bangkok was being fitted with modern infrastructure the north and northeast lived a third world existence.

After Thaksin was elected more money was spent in the poor areas, though by 2012 72% of public spending was still benefiting Bangkok. http://www-wds.worldbank.org/external/default/WDSContentServer/WDSP/IB/2012/05/09/000333037_20120509003158/Rendered/PDF/685510ESW00PUB0y0Note0master0120501.pdf The roads, schools and clinics built in the north and northeast greatly improved quality of life, and guaranteed Thaksin would have won another election if the 2006 coup had not intervened.

The true crime Thaksin committed in the eyes of the elite was in showing the Thai people that with democracy they could have a government that served all of Thailand, not just Bangkok. This was unacceptable to the traditional elite, which has been trying to ensure real democracy will never again take hold in Thailand. However now that the people know that real democracy means their kids can go to university instead of the fields and brothels, they will never again be satisfied with anything else. That is untraditional, but it's a good thing.

"the power of the land was usurped by the Yingluck government who tried to destroy Thailand's rice crop by trying to corner the market."

Huh? That is the weirdest take on the rice subsidy I've read.

"Why is everyone so sure that the current military government will not be able to develop a long term strategy to bring investment into Thailand and into Issan?"

Because none of the many prior military government's did so, and this government isn't impressing anyone with its economic skill.

"The PM knows a lot more about Thailand than you or I and I am sure he has a complete picture of what needs to be done to move away from the 'old days' and bring Thailand into the 21st Century."

The PM has spent his entire life as an officer's child then in the self-serving factionalism of the officer corps of the Thai Army. His words and deeds show that he hasn't a clue about running a country. He is treating the country like it's a military unit under his command, and it's not working.

"As far as the poster stating that Thai people cannot express their viewpoint. They can and do. I read letters all the time of Thais complainig about this and that."

Yes, but they can't criticize the junta or the coup, they can't call for elections, they better not ask Prayut how he got so rich, and then there's the subject that can't be mentioned at all.

The Democrats? Elected? Good one!clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

"....you may prefer the Shinawatras)" Well, the people of Thailand certainly do.

Look what junta apologism has sunk to: the I'm Alright Jack brigade with their "business to run" and their 'better no democracy for a quiet life...'

The spineless, the suckers, the morally bankrupt.

Absolutely correct response - typical self-centred, selfish individuals who don't give a fig for the poor or under-privileged. Be interesting to trace their family's ancestral history. How did they gain their current wealth and privilege? Did their predecessors have to fight for it or was it inherited in some way?

Growing rice in Thailand is akin to building a brewery in Saudi Arabia for domestic consumption only!!

Is it surprising that the poor don't improve their lot when their primary income consists of growing something that loses them money and requires government subsidies of every tax payer's money to help them and their families survive.

Why don't they try something else and stop being liabilities for the nation. They could then afford to buy rice from India, Vietnam etc: to provide for their families.

I am not being heartless, just realistic given the circumstances.

I'd say observations like these need help really, more than anything, with a number of issues.