Do you worry about safety?

oval

i use to ride in Los Angeles, put 36,000 miles on a kawasaki 1500 vulcan in one year. had close calls but no crashes.

when you ride a bike it MUST be done on the defense!! you can not let down your defenses. always pay attention to the other drivers around you and always have an out option.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you drive anything in Thailand, don't expect the other drivers to be like the drivers back home. Thais have their own rules of the road and its up to you to understand them if you want to stay healthy. It's dangerous out there so be alert and stay safe.

Minimum is wear a helmet of course but few people wear all of the protective gear, simply because of the heat I think, that me included. So, if you have a fall you are going to suffer form some road rash for sure.

I think the trick is dont ride like a bat out of hell. Ride defensively as if the whole world is out to get you. Don't undertake at high speed, dont split lanes in fast moving traffic etc, etc,, but for me what keeps me safe is always give myself time and space.

If you do these simple things you will reduce the chances of you having an accident dramatically.

But bat out of hell style riding simply means its a matter of time before you have some kind of accident.

Vary sad to hear about your neighbours, I have seen many accidents here and almost always its bad riding, either too fast, high risk maneuvers, drunk or just careless. Saw one just a few weeks ago, guy on the left lane want to cross the lane of oncoming traffic to turn into a Soi,, had no patience, opened his throttle up and an oncoming car hit him side on and threw him about 10 feet in the air. Really nasty foot injury (he was wearing flip flops) but he was very lucky because although he hit his head on the way down no serious head injuries, just badly cut. (he was not wearing a helmet)

Luckily the guy was ok (apart form his mangled foot was clearly never going to be the same).. Seeing these things keeps me focused.

Before a stroke sidelined me, I was doing once a month 4-6 day "road trips" on my CBR. I have a damn good (expensive) helmet and full "body armor" that I won't pull out of my driveway without it being on securely. I did some minor racing in my younger days, so I know how important that stuff is. I've run 150 - 160 kph at times, but only on long straights where I can clearly see the road and everything on both sides. Otherwise, it's 110-120 kph.

The stroke has sidelined me for 2 years now, but I'm looking at buying a new CB300f or CB500f, and hitting the road again come January. My wife thinks I'm nuts, but she also understands my need to "just ride". I never plan a trip, just get on the bike and go. Stay at cheap hotels, eat cheap food, take tons if pictures, meet a lot of nice people, and just have a ball. I'll do it till I can't get my leg over the seat anymore.

Good for you fella, love the fact that you don't plan any trips, I need to try that. I have only ever planned.

Be safe,,

You wanna ride a bike then do it.

If you live your life in fear, you're already dead.

Being on a motorcycle is like truly living in this world.

It rains, you get wet,

it's hot, you sweat,

it's cold, you shake,

you want to listen to a song, you have to sing it yourself,

you have to be crazy enough to enjoy all of that, and I guess I'm crazy enough, I love all the "inconveniences" motorcycles have.

Thailand is unsafe for any mode of transportation...especially a motorbike...few follow the rules of the road...and you need eyes on the side and back of your head to dodge unruly drivers...

I will say this...it is an intense experience...the reward of which is arriving at your destination safely...only to have to go back home and run the gauntlet once again...

Do not even consider getting a buzz-on and trying to drive...recipe for disaster...

i'VE BEEN RIDING FOR 48 years. I've had 3 accident in that time. All up I must be getting close to the 2 million kilometer mark on motorcycles. I ride defensively but I don't think about accidents or safety.....I ride the way I ride. I look for the 'tell' from other drivers and riders. The 'tell' can be subtle so it can take a few years to learn all the different things people do before they make a change in their vehicle. I focus on hot spots:Busy intersections, blind corners & intersections, laneways where a bike could pop out, soi with little kids and dogs. Always ready to brake as swerving can be dangerous. And I leave some space in front of me in traffic, ride the white lane dividing line and never pass big trucks on the left side. All in all I am comfortable with my riding technique, but always willing to admit I don't know everything! Yes, I am still learning after 48 years! wink.png

Of course I worry about safety that is why i wear safety gear and don't ride like an idiot. However it still is risky but i still feel the rewards outweigh the risks. If I were to use my car all the time id spend half of my life waiting for traffic.

In the end its all about how much risk your willing to take and what your comfortable with. You can die of so many things but riding a motorbike is dangerous.

At least 26,000 people killed in road accidents every year in Thailand, up to 80% are motorcyclists. Yes, you could say riding a bike is risky.
that figure could be hugely reduced if people used proper head protection in thailand

Or it could be trippled if you added the accidents in which the people died in hospital later IE only death at the scene recorded.

I've stopped riding here. I enjoyed my bikes in UK but it is impossible to predict how drivers and other riders will react here making the roads very dangerous on a bike.

Bought a bike when I moved to Chiang Mai. Never ridden one before. My Thai friends told me I could afford a car and should sell. One said the only reason Thais ride bikes is because they can't afford a car! In the last 6 months I know of 5 Thais that have had accidents (one fatal).

I get the sense from theses posts that most of the posters enjoys recreational bide riding. I'm just interested in safe transportation.

Rode a bike for 10 years but sold it last year after it slipped out from under me on a rain slick hill and I slid 150 feet into the guard rail. There were four other bikes in the rail art the same time. This was the 14th incident on the bike and I felt I was pushing my luck. Car for transport 100% now although I ride a bicycle for exercise and short errands. But been rear ended twice and had my mirror brushed by cars a couple of times on the bicycle as well.

14 accidents on a bike???? Hell, I raced motocross for 3 years and never had that many! You should have given up long before then!

Before a stroke sidelined me, I was doing once a month 4-6 day "road trips" on my CBR. I have a damn good (expensive) helmet and full "body armor" that I won't pull out of my driveway without it being on securely. I did some minor racing in my younger days, so I know how important that stuff is. I've run 150 - 160 kph at times, but only on long straights where I can clearly see the road and everything on both sides. Otherwise, it's 110-120 kph.

The stroke has sidelined me for 2 years now, but I'm looking at buying a new CB300f or CB500f, and hitting the road again come January. My wife thinks I'm nuts, but she also understands my need to "just ride". I never plan a trip, just get on the bike and go. Stay at cheap hotels, eat cheap food, take tons if pictures, meet a lot of nice people, and just have a ball. I'll do it till I can't get my leg over the seat anymore.

Good for you fella, love the fact that you don't plan any trips, I need to try that. I have only ever planned.

Be safe,,

Planned trips are boring. lol. First one I did here, I got on my old style CBR 150, hit highway 11 around 10 am. 10 pm I ended up in Chum Phae, about 70 kilometers from Khon Kaen. Since I don't like to ride at night, I found a hotel, showered, ate, slept, and at 7 a.m. I was on my way to Khon Kaen. Gradually worked my way back to Chiang Mai. Had a blast.

Since then I've been to every major, and not so major, city in the North and North East. Only one time have I had a problem. Prae to Payao, an idiot in a pick up came around a blind curve in my lane. Had to take it off the road. Nothing major, but it took 6 friendly Thai to help me get the bike (250) back up on the road. Relaxed for a while, had a smoke and Black Tea, and took off again.

Sorry to be a downer, but my neighbour had a crash on his bike (er6n in central BKK) 2 nights ago and passed away, his wife still in ICU. Fairly young guy, an only son taking care of his elderly mother. A very sad story, and something that has got me thinking.

Do you guys worry about death and injury on your bike? Riding bikes is, without a doubt, the most dangerous thing any of us do on a daily basis. I find that stories such as these give me pause and make me wonder whether I should quit while I'm ahead. Then, inveitably, after a few days the worry leaves my mind and I begin zipping around town like a bat out of hell again.

Do others have thoughts of quitting?

I am all new to this and riding a cb650f now for 2 months. I rarely drive more then 120km/h with it but I know this is enough to get killed. But on the other side you can also get crushed under a truck with a honda scoopy....
A scoopy is a bike too.

I don't think he was arguing the point that Scoopy isn't a bike, the Scoopy is like 110cc.

i'VE BEEN RIDING FOR 48 years. I've had 3 accident in that time. All up I must be getting close to the 2 million kilometer mark on motorcycles. I ride defensively but I don't think about accidents or safety.....I ride the way I ride. I look for the 'tell' from other drivers and riders. The 'tell' can be subtle so it can take a few years to learn all the different things people do before they make a change in their vehicle. I focus on hot spots:Busy intersections, blind corners & intersections, laneways where a bike could pop out, soi with little kids and dogs. Always ready to brake as swerving can be dangerous. And I leave some space in front of me in traffic, ride the white lane dividing line and never pass big trucks on the left side. All in all I am comfortable with my riding technique, but always willing to admit I don't know everything! Yes, I am still learning after 48 years! wink.png

great post and all so true.

I have ridden bikes and driven trucks/cars on a daily basis for the last 8 years here and have only had a few self-inflicted low speed spills on a bike....I did my bike test in the UK around 15 years ago and riding big powerful bikes...the training you get in the UK really is a big advantage for when you get here, you get taught the basics that stick with you for life eg. road condition, hazard perception, "life saver" etc etc all the boring (life saving) stuff.

Is it dangerous? Yes, of course it is to a degree BUT you can put the odds in your favour eg. assume every driver after 11pm is drunk, assume that driver who doesn't have a licence IS going to pull out at that junction, assume that driver IS going to jump that red light by 3 seconds etc etc.

Would I stop riding, no...I like riding a bike! However, would I want to ride the same bikes I rode in the UK here? No. The reason being, is having a powerful sports bike here is slightly boring, you spend all your time concentrating on the road/hazards and not taking in what is around you. If you come off, it hurts more plus you tend to wear more protective gear, which in this weather means you sweat like a pig etc etc.

Edited by kjhbigv

Currently touring, 'cause sometimes, you just gotta go. Started in Chiang Mai, then to Nakhon Thai, Phetchabun, Maha Sarakham, Yasothon, Amnat Charoen, Udon Thani, and currently in Nakhon Ratchasima. Stopped by Roi Et again. I'd been there before. Really like that town. Highway 2331 north of Phetchabun about 50KM is a gas, by the way. Contrary to another's post, if I hadn't planned this trip, I'd never have found that road.

Riding 40 years, myself. One significant accident, some 20-25 years ago now. Still have the asphalt under the skin to show you if you want. Still don't know what happened to cause that accident. It just shouldn't have happened at all. But boom. Down. Wore leather for all a long time after, but stopped when I moved to Thailand. Too stinking hot. Still, boots, gloves, full coverage decent brain bucket, at a minimum.

Onliest accident I've had in Thailand was in my pickup truck when, stuck on a crowded highway going 0KPH, a Thai woman decided she could squeeze past me in the fifth lane of that three lane stretch of highway. She couldn't, and was found at fault. Admitted her fault, actually.

My primary rule for riding a motorcycle is something told to me many many years ago, somewhere: "It doesn't matter if you were right or wrong when you're laying in the road dead." Secondary rules are derivative. Full coverage, quality brain bucket, down to the chin always. Proper footwear and gloves. No riding at night, because you can't see anything through the bugs on the faceplate anyway, and a significant number of other drivers will have been drinking (but that's also true in the daytime here as well). Try to stay to the left side of the road, because that's the law here, and other drivers don't care if you're in the way when they cross the double yellow line on that curve to pass whomever. But no, I do not use the shoulder... Too often, there's no shoulder to use at all, or the ice cream man is coming straight at you with his trike and that huge umbrella above. Or worse, a car or truck. But really, it's been my experience that car, trucks and motorbikes can come straight at you in any lane, left or right. Have seen it many times. And of course, never pass on the left! That's the law here anyway. (In brief: all vehicles of all kinds must stay to the left. And all vehicles of all kinds must pass on the right.)

I could go on. I really do feel safer on the bike than I do in the truck. Less likely to have any accident. I hate driving a four wheeled vehicle here on those little sois that were never intended for more than oxcarts. Bought it new, but the truck has so, so many dings now. The bike has none.

Problem is, the bike is far less forgiving. You don't get so many chances to make mistakes. And too, there are different skill levels, different abilities/ways of thinking. Not to slight anyone! But if you're no good on a bike (if you're not safe, you know it) then get rid of it. But understand that your lack of riding ability doesn't mean everyone else lacks that ability.

Like I said, "It doesn't matter if you were right or wrong when you're laying in the road dead." Let the kids without helmets on Sonics talking on the mobile phones go 120KPH between the cars and trucks. You don't gotta.

Oh hey... By the way, saw some gal go by the hotel here this late afternoon in Nakhon Ratchasima on a crotch rocket. Said "Repsol" on the side, all orange and red and everything, so thinking that's a Honda 250 or above? But hey... She had on a halter top and SHORT short shorts and sandals and sunglasses, and that was it. Must have been about 20-22 years old. I was instantly in love, of course. Waited and waited, but she never did come back by. I'd never have noticed her if she'd been all wrapped in protective gear. Just sayin'...

Edited by RedQualia

No fears from me.

At 60, not long left, no matter how I go.

Could live to 80 or more. How would you like to spend the next 20 or so years as a vegetable or a paraplegic?

If i hear what defects the old guys have at certain ages I rather be dead. Better to burn out then to fade away.

And living as a paraplegic I would certainly consider euthanasia. (but that is just me life should be worth living not living for the sake of getting old)

Thailand is unsafe for any mode of transportation...especially a motorbike...few follow the rules of the road...and you need eyes on the side and back of your head to dodge unruly drivers...

I will say this...it is an intense experience...the reward of which is arriving at your destination safely...only to have to go back home and run the gauntlet once again...

Do not even consider getting a buzz-on and trying to drive...recipe for disaster...

Most DO follow the rules,but the other few % are on a death wish,selfish DELETED

Most DO follow the rules,but the other few % are on a death wish,selfish DELETED

I have to agree, most drivers / riders follow the rules the % of idiots not following the rules is just higher here but by no means a majority. Unlike what most of the foreigners like to think there are a lot of good drivers they just don't catch your attention because they don't do stupid things. Its the stupid / dangerous ones that catch our attention.

Haven't had time to read through the other posts, so I have no idea of the trend of the thread and whether I'm letting myself in for a p###-take. But as I posted before, Thailand is perfectly safe to ride in, providing you don't focus on 'should' with local drivers/riders. I still get miffed at some behaviour, but haven't had an accident in the 8 years I have been riding around Thailand. I am not a patient man, and as the old lady will testify, ride around at a fair pace, on both a proper bike and a moped.

"Thailand is perfectly safe to ride in". The thousands who die each year might disagree with you.

And the hundreds of thousands who have some bike nouse and know what I'm talking about might agree with me.

If, as a large proportion of posters do, you rely on 'should' as the basis of your opinion, then you have the spirit of the age and I am out of step.

Those of us riders, whom the comment was directed at, i.e the OP, who enjoy riding here understand the point. The OP was asking for a qualified opinion. I gave it.

Those unqualified to give an opinion, who don't ride, will focus on those who couldn't or were exceptionally unlucky.

While the numbers are most definitely stacked against motorcycle riders in Thailand it doesn't stop me riding. Accidents can happen anywhere if one become complacent or, like myself in Melbourne, someone else does the same.

I guess you just have to weigh up wether you feel the chance of having to deal with the consequences is worth your passion for rifding.

Me? I feel it's totally worth it. I not relocating to Thailand because it's safe, that's for sure. But, in the same thought, neither will I give up one of the passions that keeps me sane.

And trust me, I've paid the consequences to understand exactly what they are.

Edited by MadMuhummad

While the numbers are most definitely stacked against motorcycle riders in Thailand it doesn't stop me riding. Accidents can happen anywhere if one become complacent or, like myself in Melbourne, someone else does the same.

I guess you just have to weigh up wether you feel the chance of having to deal with the consequences is worth your passion for rifding.

Me? I feel it's totally worth it. I not relocating to Thailand because it's safe, that's for sure. But, in the same thought, neither will I give up one of the passions that keeps me sane.

And trust me, I've paid the consequences to understand exactly what they are.

post-240358-0-03605000-1446172188_thumb. Edited by MadMuhummad

Had a recent crash due to poor road/motorway conditioning and ultimately my lack of experience of riding on that particular road i guess. 90kmph,quiet'ish motorway due to an early morning ride luckily I cam away with bruised knees, elbows and heels... wearing helmet gloves and armored jacket.

Now I ride my CB650 with armored leather/mesh jacket, gloves, helmet, shin high fast road/race boots.

Overkill maybe?

I took my first crash as a warning.

Had a recent crash due to poor road/motorway conditioning and ultimately my lack of experience of riding on that particular road i guess. 90kmph,quiet'ish motorway due to an early morning ride luckily I cam away with bruised knees, elbows and heels... wearing helmet gloves and armored jacket.

Now I ride my CB650 with armored leather/mesh jacket, gloves, helmet, shin high fast road/race boots.

Overkill maybe?

I took my first crash as a warning.

Whilst never having had an accident here, I have had a multitude of near misses in similar conditions. Good quality, full body armour, full face crash hat, boots and gloves are the absolute minimum gear for every ride (I hesitate at the jacket airbags that are now available). The Old Lady grumbles a bit, but I force her to wear same. Ultimately she gets the point, but it has to be reiterated from time to time, especially in hot weather.

I won't say here what my average speed is on the main roads, because of the saints who would judge me, but I don't hang about.

Haven't had time to read through the other posts, so I have no idea of the trend of the thread and whether I'm letting myself in for a p###-take. But as I posted before, Thailand is perfectly safe to ride in, providing you don't focus on 'should' with local drivers/riders. I still get miffed at some behaviour, but haven't had an accident in the 8 years I have been riding around Thailand. I am not a patient man, and as the old lady will testify, ride around at a fair pace, on both a proper bike and a moped.

"Thailand is perfectly safe to ride in". The thousands who die each year might disagree with you.

And the hundreds of thousands who have some bike nouse and know what I'm talking about might agree with me.

If, as a large proportion of posters do, you rely on 'should' as the basis of your opinion, then you have the spirit of the age and I am out of step.

Those of us riders, whom the comment was directed at, i.e the OP, who enjoy riding here understand the point. The OP was asking for a qualified opinion. I gave it.

Those unqualified to give an opinion, who don't ride, will focus on those who couldn't or were exceptionally unlucky.

The statement that Thailand is perfectly safe to ride in is just not true, the facts prove that. You can argue otherwise until you're blue in the face, but it doesn't change the facts.

From OP;

Do you guys worry about death and injury on your bike?

Always aware of possible consequences , but "worry"?

NO, never have done, never will do.

Nothing at all to be gained from worrying

Agreed, if you worry maybe you are endangering those around you as well as yourself, you know, the overly cautions type doing 40 on an 80 road etc..