After 13 November------single entry in Vientiane still possible?

I do projects in Holland and when each project is finished I visit Thailand until the next one comes along and Fly back to Holland.

I arrived back in Thailand on the 23rd of september on a 30 days permit. I bought another 30 days just last week at Chiang Mai immigration so I am good until the 22nd of november. I did not get a tourist visa as, when I left, my next project would start december 1 so I not needed it.

Now I just have been informed that the starting date for the new project has been put back to february 1 2016. As this is not the first time this is happening I bought a return ticket with, within some restrictions, a flexible returning date (must use the ticket before march 1 2016) . I now have the possibility to stay about 2 months more. The last time this happened I went to Vientiane after the original 60 days were over and I asked and got a single-entry tourist visa. This was issued on the 17th may of this year. I not fully used it as I left the 23rd of june already back to Holland for my next project.

My question is.................can I do this again ?. Reading so much about the possible changes on 13th of november make me a bit worried.

Should I try to get a single entry tourist visa at Vientiane for the two months or should I fly out before november 22 to Singapore and return 3 days later for another 30 days permit (and use again the 30 days extension ). That would also give me what I need but I am in doubt if this will work.

Please advise.

Thanks

p.s. Next time I will apply for the 5000 multiple-entry visa in Holland as I understand that you can only apply for it in your own country.

You should have no problem getting a single entry tourist visa in Vientiane after the 13th.

Even the few locations that have posted the requirements when the METV goes into effect still show the single entry visa as being available.

I can't wait till Nov 13 and we will see tv single entry pretty much everywhere and the METV available at all consulates like Vientiane that were previously offering double tv etc. Of course it's all guess but seriously .........You can only obtain an METV in your own country??? Won't happen. If it does then immigration has a much bigger agenda. Hope you didn't buy a condo. Can always get married. AGAIN !

I can't wait till Nov 13 and we will see tv single entry pretty much everywhere and the METV available at all consulates like Vientiane that were previously offering double tv etc. Of course it's all guess but seriously .........You can only obtain an METV in your own country??? Won't happen. If it does then immigration has a much bigger agenda. Hope you didn't buy a condo. Can always get married. AGAIN !

" If it does then immigration has a much bigger agenda. Hope you didn't buy a condo. "

The "agenda" would appear to be to make tourist visas available to tourists and the issuance of visas falls under the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, not immigrations.

If you bought a condo with the intention of using it for the winter months, shouldn't be a problem to get the METV in your home country and spend winter in Thailand. If you're not really a tourist, but want to stay here permanently, then there are options to do that available that don't involve pretending to be a tourist or student.

Quite often the government "agenda" is in response to abuse of the system. Unfortunately there may be some innocents who are inconvenienced because of the serial abusers.

" If it does then immigration has a much bigger agenda. Hope you didn't buy a condo. "

The "agenda" would appear to be to make tourist visas available to tourists and the issuance of visas falls under the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, not immigrations.

If you bought a condo with the intention of using it for the winter months, shouldn't be a problem to get the METV in your home country and spend winter in Thailand. If you're not really a tourist, but want to stay here permanently, then there are options to do that available that don't involve pretending to be a tourist or student.

Quite often the government "agenda" is in response to abuse of the system. Unfortunately there may be some innocents who are inconvenienced because of the serial abusers.

What time limit in a country changes the tag tourist to something else. Where is it stated in immigration act that there is a limit to back to back tv. Where is it stated that, for example, a foreigner can only spend so many months of any given year in Thailand. I live in Thailand and I am a tourist.

The existing single entry tv will still be available back to back after Nov 13 and the new METV , IMO, will be also available back to back and you won't need to go back to your own country to obtain. Happy days.

Edited by jacksam

What time limit in a country changes the tag tourist to something else. Where is it stated in immigration act that there is a limit to back to back tv. Where is it stated that, for example, a foreigner can only spend so many months of any given year in Thailand. I live in Thailand and I am a tourist.

The existing single entry tv will still be available back to back after Nov 13 and the new METV , IMO, will be also available back to back and you won't need to go back to your own country to obtain. Happy days.

You must have missed the point that many countries are restricting METV's to nationals or those with residence in the country, so while you may not have to go back to your own country to obtain a METV you will probably have to go a long way for one.

It seems pretty clear that one of the purposes of the METV is stop, or reduce, the abuse of the tourist visa system.

• Like 2

Not necessarily. They just may wish to replace double and triple with METV. Makes sense. Also we are yet to hear what the consulates nearby will be providing for nonresident folk

They will not provide METV to non-residents, that much is known already. I think it would be good if people, at least on this forum, come to terms with the fact that the METV is bad news for tourists.

Edited by paz
  • Like 2

Not necessarily. They just may wish to replace double and triple with METV. Makes sense. Also we are yet to hear what the consulates nearby will be providing for nonresident folk

They will not provide METV to non-residents, that much is known already. I think it would be good if people, at least on this forum, come to terms with the fact that the METV is bad news for tourists.

Explain please why the METV "is bad for tourists" .

Millions of tourists arrive every year, most setting out from and returning to their home countries.

It's not known already but I suspect they won't.

Genuine tourists won't be affected, only those trying to live or live/work in Thailand using tourist visas.

It's not known already but I suspect they won't.

Genuine tourists won't be affected, only those trying to live or live/work in Thailand using tourist visas.

Letting aside the subjective distinction between "genuine tourists" and not, often made here by judgeful, self-entitled individuals which hold a and heavy grudge against anyone that is not them exactly..

Anyone will be negatively affected affected by the by the changes coming up Now 13th, because to obtain the same privileges, one will have to either pay more, present more documents, or be denied because of stricter retirements. Very simple to understand really.

Edited by paz
  • Like 1

Millions of tourists arrive every year, most setting out from and returning to their home countries.

Here are reasons it could be bad. 1). Many people like to travel with no particular agenda or a lot of advance planning. the METV requires at least of course getting the visa in advance, which means planning a fairly detailed itinerary, booking your hotel in advance, going to or mailing your passport to some embassy or consulate. A lot of people change or vary or make up their agenda while on the holiday. Maybe decide to take a side trip to Cambodia or someplace else. And it is usually better to book and pay for those side trips while in Thailand. I would never book a flight from say BKK to Phenom Pem while still in the USA. I would never book and pay for a hotel in advance. I have learned to see the rooms first before paying. 2) Many people take somewhat spontaneous trips and it is not feasible to plan a detailed trip in advance. I personally can't because I never know when my contracts stop. I get zero notice. The beauty of Thailand was I could jet there at almost any time. Stress free, worry free travel, simple 30 day visa exempt on arrival and it was easy to stay another month or two if I decided with a simple visa run. I am simply a tourist that decided to stay a bit longer and spend a bit more money in country. Now they are making it more challenging and certainly less easy to do so.

• Like 2

Here are reasons it could be bad. 1). Many people like to travel with no particular agenda or a lot of advance planning. the METV requires at least of course getting the visa in advance, which means planning a fairly detailed itinerary, booking your hotel in advance, going to or mailing your passport to some embassy or consulate. A lot of people change or vary or make up their agenda while on the holiday. Maybe decide to take a side trip to Cambodia or someplace else. And it is usually better to book and pay for those side trips while in Thailand. I would never book a flight from say BKK to Phenom Pem while still in the USA. I would never book and pay for a hotel in advance. I have learned to see the rooms first before paying. 2) Many people take somewhat spontaneous trips and it is not feasible to plan a detailed trip in advance. I personally can't because I never know when my contracts stop. I get zero notice. The beauty of Thailand was I could jet there at almost any time. Stress free, worry free travel, simple 30 day visa exempt on arrival and it was easy to stay another month or two if I decided with a simple visa run. I am simply a tourist that decided to stay a bit longer and spend a bit more money in country. Now they are making it more challenging and certainly less easy to do so.

No. Just submit an itinerary. Book some bogus hotels with site like booking .com that with no upfront expense then cancel. Basically get savy. Not brain surgery

Visa exempt entries will still be available as will tourist visas from nearby Thai Embassy's!

What are you complaining about?

That is not correct. That has not been confirmed yet.

The Thai embassy in the US only requires you have a visa not just residency. I think they just want proof that your are in the US and not attempting to mail in an application from outside the states. That is the same as for other visas and nothing new.

Most of the embassies that posted the residency requirements were already doing that for other visas.

Singapore and Cambodia have put up the residency requirement but they were only doing single entry visas for non residents already.

The Thai embassy in the US only requires you have a visa not just residency. I think they just want proof that your are in the US and not attempting to mail in an application from outside the states. That is the same as for other visas and nothing new.

As a UK citizen I can stay in the US for 90 days without a visa so it seems they are looking for more than just being present in the country.

The fact that you must have a visa would suggest they are looking for the person to have at least some kind of semi permanent stay.

US Embassy website

7. For non-US citizen, a copy of permanent resident alien card or a copy of valid US visa

Most of the embassies that posted the residency requirements were already doing that for other visas.

Singapore and Cambodia have put up the residency requirement but they were only doing single entry visas for non residents already.

Correct. I wasn't referring to the US, but most of Europe, Laos, and the others you have mentioned.

Edited by paz

Correct. I wasn't referring to the US, but most of Europe, Laos, and the others you have mentioned.

You failed to mention the line in my post about the embassies in Europe that were only doing visas for residents before the METV Go to their websites and read their requirements for a single entry tourist visa.

Laos has not posted their requirements yet. The ones in the region that are only doing single entry visas will certainly not be doing the METV.

The Thai embassy in the US only requires you have a visa not just residency. I think they just want proof that your are in the US and not attempting to mail in an application from outside the states. That is the same as for other visas and nothing new....

On this point, as a US Citizen, I am curious. None of the thus-far published restrictions indicates US citizens must "be residing in the USA" at the time of application. No "entry stamp" is necessary when a US-Citizen re-enters the USA.

Perhaps a US Citizen could to go to Cambodia, Fed-Ex their US-Passport back to family in the States, whereupon they submit it by mail to a US Consulate (with the required documentation), get it back with the METV, then Fed-Ex it back to the US Citizen (still in Cambodia).

This guide, from the US Passport Service, states no US laws are violated ...

http://www.us-passport-service-guide.com/is-it-legal-to-be-in-a-foreign-country-and-mail-your-passport-back-to-us-for-visa-to-another-country.html

... and I seriously doubt a possession of a copy of main page and entry-stamp would be a problem in Cambodia. Cambodian immigration has your fingerprints, and knows who you are. One could even get a local drivers license for 'id' purposes.

The only hitch I see is that the passport received at the Thai consulate would show an entry to Cambodia without an exit. One could reside in a Casino district, and avoid the Cambodian entry-stamp, but this violates Cambodian law, resulting in a fine upon one's delayed-receipt of a Cambodian Entry stamp.

• Like 1

Laos has not posted their requirements yet. The ones in the region that are only doing single entry visas will certainly not be doing the METV.

NOT TRUE

Cambodia /Singapore only ever issued a single tourist visa (or non O /Non B)

and according to their websites will be doing the METV starting nov 13th

• Like 1

NOT TRUE

Cambodia /Singapore only ever issued a single tourist visa (or non O /Non cool.png

and according to their websites will be doing the METV starting nov 13th

It is true considering they will only do them for citizens and residents. I was posting to people I assume are not residents or citizens of those countries.

Malaysia will be the same I think since the were only doing 2 entry tourist visa for citizens and residents. Apparently Kota Bharu were on occasion doing a 2 entry for some people but have now said they will not be doing them.

got ya

only question really is

will Laos be different

Correct

Or any of the locations that were doing 2 or 3 entry visa.

The consul for Bali has informed me he has not been told by the embassy in Jakarta yet as to what their requirements will be.

Even the MFA website has nothing on it yet. What they put up will make it all clearer.

• 2 weeks later...

As being the one who started this post I thank all members for answering so fast and giving me valid information.

I've been reading many posts regarding Vientiane/Single entry Tourist visa after 13 november. (now here on a 30 days exemption with 30 days extra)

I will start my run next weekend as I have to leave 22nd of november according to the stamp in my passport. I will fly back to Holland the 20th of january 2016(return ticket is set definite on that date) . Applying on the 23rd and, if all goes well, returning to Thailand on the 24th will give me enough (60 days) to stay until the 20th without going( and paying again ) for the 30 days extension.

I would like you members to look at my checklist....did I miss something ?

- passport

- 2 pictures

- 1.000 Baht

- copies of my picture page and of both leaving stamp Thailand and entry stamp/visa Laos-pages(can do on sunday 22nd in my hotel)

- copy return ticket 20 january

- 20.000 baht in case they ask

- copies of bookings for 24 nov-until 20 january (not complete but have 1 Udon, 2 Pattaya and 1 Bangkok-booking)

Thanks for looking

-

Edited by nuckyt77