Thai embassy website - METV requirements starting 13th Nov 2015

Amazing. Does ANY country on earth have requirements this strict for a multiple entry visa application?

Also, what I've heard elsewhere is one must show proof of 200,000 baht in one's bank account...how does that become $8,000 USD (285,000 baht) here? Similarly, supposedly the price of a single-entry visa is 1,000 baht, and the METV 5,000, yet the prices listed here of $40 USD and $200 are considerably higher as well...I wonder whose pocket the extra is going into?

• Like 1

I could be wrong but it seems that all the countries that don't offer a DE are now offering the METV and this has been announced on their websites, meanwhile the countries that offer DE are yet to announce what the future will hold regarding METV

That has been posted before. In fact it was one of the first.

PP only did single entry visas before so not a surprise that they would not do the metv.

Hi ubonjoe

Are you referring to the private email that was pasted here from a forum member - Or has someone already posted this change from the Embassy website - If this is a dupe of the website post, my apologies.

I saw that valuable guidance email posted very early on and have since been monitoring the website to identify if they would make a commitment on a public statement rather than a private comment.

I could be wrong but it seems that all the countries that don't offer a DE are now offering the METV and this has been announced on their websites, meanwhile the countries that offer DE are yet to announce what the future will hold regarding METV

What do you mean with "DE"?

Double Entry,

Again I could be wrong but countries that before did not offer Double Entry are now offering the METV and this is announced on their Embassy websites,

Meanwhile countries that offer Double Entry's at the moment are yet to make announcements re what will happen after the 13th

Happy to be proved wrong if this is not the case,

• Like 2

Double Entry,

Again I could be wrong but countries that before did not offer Double Entry are now offering the METV and this is announced on their Embassy websites,

Meanwhile countries that offer Double Entry's at the moment are yet to make announcements re what will happen after the 13th

Happy to be proved wrong if this is not the case,

Mnnnn - Actually that is a very smart observation - Good way of looking at this puzzle - Since it could be the case that some might hold onto existing products while some will more than likely announce different criteria in the delivery of the new products.

There is already a post about it

It was the second embassy after Italy to release their requirements.

Hi aneliane

Thanks for that - Can you post the link to the post that identified this new announcement on the embassy in Phnom Penh website for METV.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/862991-new-metv-available-in-cambodia-for-cambodians/?hl=cambodia

• Like 1

There is already a post about it

It was the second embassy after Italy to release their requirements.

Hi aneliane

Thanks for that - Can you post the link to the post that identified this new announcement on the embassy in Phnom Penh website for METV.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/862991-new-metv-available-in-cambodia-for-cambodians/?hl=cambodia

Thanks UbonJoe - However this does not identify the New announcement - On the embassy in Phnom Penh website for METV.

Amazing. Does ANY country on earth have requirements this strict for a multiple entry visa application?

Also, what I've heard elsewhere is one must show proof of 200,000 baht in one's bank account...how does that become $8,000 USD (285,000 baht) here? Similarly, supposedly the price of a single-entry visa is 1,000 baht, and the METV 5,000, yet the prices listed here of $40 USD and $200 are considerably higher as well...I wonder whose pocket the extra is going into?

Singapore has exactly same requirements!

but the visa is a little bit cheaper.

wow;

so for a US citizen they need show, 6. A copy of bank statement or evidence of adequate finance for the last 6 months with a minimum balance of $7,000 (every months) (The name of the applicant must clearly appear on it)

While a Cambodian or Singaporean needs show, Multiple-Entry Tourist Visa: $8,000 per person (6 months of financial statements)

and its the same price Visa Processing Fees: 200 USD

and for both u need be employed

LOL

• Like 1

I think the 200k baht number may be what the MFA has set. Then embassies are using there own exchange rates. The 8,000 number wound be at 25 baht to the dollar which is the same rate used to convert the 5000 baht fee to $200. The embassy in DC has $7000 on their website.

There is no way that the consulates previously offering double and even triple entry tv will not just replace those to METV available to most nationalities. Pack your bags for Vientiane or wherever. Just be ready for a long wait.

I have to admit, from the start i had thought the METV would have taken a similar route to what has so far been announced, in that the double/triple entry TVs would be phased out and the issue of the visas would only be from your native country. Also the increase (?) in cost to cover the six month period.

What seems to be a common thread from the different countries consulates/embassies that have announced their intentions for the issue of the METV is that the applicant needs proof of employment and in most cases proof of funds. That i didn't see coming.

The funds i can understand, but the criteria for employment seems very strange as i cannot name that many jobs which would allow for a six month break at any given time to fully utilise the visa, even using the multi-entry part of it.

I have visions of this being dropped from requirements in the near future.........................wink.png

• Like 1

Here's The Word from the Thai Embassy in Washington, D.C.

http://thaiembdc.org/tourist-visa-category-tr-multiple-metv/

Tourist Visa Category “TR” Multiple (METV)

Tourist Visa Category “TR” Multiple (METV)

*** officially launched to tourists of all nationalities and from Friday 13 November 2015***

*** replace the tourist visas previously issued for two and three entries which will be no longer available by 13 November 2015***

Purpose of Visit: This type of visa is issued to applicants who wish to enter the Kingdom for tourism purposes.
Documents Required:

1. Your actual Passport or Travel Document. (Passport or Travel Document must not expire within 6 months and contain at least ONE completely empty visa page).
2. One visa application form completely filled out (Download)
3. Two passport-size photographs (2″x2″) (photocopy or photo taken from Photostat will not be accepted). Photographs must have a light color background with a full- face view of the person without wearing a hat or dark glasses and covering up shoulders Photos must be taken within 6 months.
4. Flight confirmation/reservation (The name of the applicant must clearly appear on it)
5. Hotel reservation confirmation (The name of the applicant must clearly appear on it)
6. A copy of bank statement or evidence of adequate finance for the last 6 months with a minimum balance of $7,000 (every months) (The name of the applicant must clearly appear on it)
7. For non-US citizen, a copy of permanent resident alien card or a copy of valid US visa
8. An employment verification
9. For students, full-time student status proof
10.For self-employed, business license or business registration indicating the applicant’s name.
11.For minor under 20 years old, copy of a birth certificate, copies of mother and father’s passports/ID and copy of Marriage Certificate if any, letter of consent from mother and father for the minor to travel abroad in case not accommany with the child (have to be notarized) . in case of sole custody, a copy of court order must be provided

Processing time : (with completed documents)
In person 2-5 business days
By mail minimum 15 business days

***We do not offer expedited service***

Visa Processing Fees: 200 USD
Payable in money order (only) made payable to “Royal Thai Embassy”.
NO CASH, NO PERSONAL and BUSINESS CHECKS ACCEPTED

Period of stay: not exceeding 60 days

Validity of a visa: The Validity of a visa is 6 months.

***A visa becomes effective from the date of issuance***

Submitting application:
1. In person

between 9am.-12pm. , no appointment needed
Consular Office
Royal Thai Embassy
2300 Kalorama Rd., N.W.
Washington,D.C .20008-1623

2. By mail

application must include self-addressed return envelope only by these following mail service
” USPS (US Postal Service) Express Mail ” use only flat rate mailing envelope with $19.99

postage stamp (Metered stamps will not be accepted)
Mailing address:
Consular Office
Royal Thai Embassy
2300 Kalorama Rd., N.W.
Washington,D.C 20008-1623

***The Royal Thai Embassy do not accept any responsibility for any damage or loss***

Extension of stay: Those who wish to stay longer or may wish to change their type of visa must file an application for permission at the Office of Immigration Bureau located on Soi Suan Plu, off South Sathorn Road, Bangkok 10120, Tel (662) 287-3101 to 10 or at http://www.immigration.go.th The extension of stay as well as the change of certain type of visa is solely at the discretion of the Immigration officer.

Please note: Consular officers reserve the right to request additional documents as deemed necessary and also reserve the right to reject any application without having to provide reason.
Consular
Royal Thai Embassy
2300 Kalorama Rd., NW
Washington, DC 20008
Tel. (202) 640-5658 / (202) 640-1439
Fax. (202) 459-9536
Email: [email protected]

I thought the Immigration at Soi Suan Plu closed, and everything at huge Gov. Complex at Chang Wattana since years ago.

Does that old Suan Plu office still serve a purpose ?

(Sorry to throw thread post off, just didn't want to see anyone take a ride there for nothing.)

There is no way that the consulates previously offering double and even triple entry tv will not just replace those to METV available to most nationalities. Pack your bags for Vientiane or wherever. Just be ready for a long wait.

If you are correct (I am hoping you are), and the requirements are similar, one "last" double-entry tourist visa will allow time to "season" a requiste balance in a Thai account for 6 months, avoiding any "language barrier" issues with bank-docs provided to Vientiene. I usually only keep a bit here at a time, and xfer twice monthly. I would suggest folks set up a separate account with no debit-card on it to hold significant sums, for safety.

Not sure how they would verify "self-employment" documents for foreign-businesses, though - if that requriement is included in their specs.

Edited by Maestro
corrected terminology

Retirees, eg, not employed, need not apply. And, check the bank balance requirement!

4. Flight confirmation/reservation (The name of the applicant must clearly appear on it)

5. Hotel reservation confirmation (The name of the applicant must clearly appear on it)

6. A copy of bank statement or evidence of adequate finance for the last 6 months with a minimum balance of $7,000 (every months) (The name of the applicant must clearly appear on it)

7. For non-US citizen, a copy of permanent resident alien card or a copy of valid US visa

8. An employment verification

Mac

Hi everyone! I am new to this forum. I found a lot of useful information here. Especially now, when I'm trying to put all information about METV together to apply for one. I'm frequently visiting Thailand and wanna also share my experiences with other people on the forum.

I see that (the question if it is confirmed or not) in Lao or Cambodia METV is available only for residents. I spoke to the Thai Embassy in Poland today and they confirmed that METV will be available from Nov 13th, it costs there 580 PLN (150 USD). I have never had any problem in that embassy with visas. My passport with visa was always ready on the next day, no additional questions, no any papers besides visa application need. Unfortunately I'm not there and have no plans to go there in next months, so I need to apply for METV somewhere in South-East Asia. It will be so useful to me, after I support immigration finances with a few thousants bats, they maybe leave me alone and make no problems to enter Thailand whenever I want during 6-months visa validity.

If anyone has confirmed information where METV will be available for EU passport holders, please share. As soon as I get one, I will also post report with advices.

No one has definitive info which thai consulates will issue METV after Nov 13.

But rest assured there will be some.

Also you will not require proof of funds. The earlier poster (Jack) that suggested opening a thai bank account, I think that's a good tip.

Edited by jacksam

I guess all of them knows if they gonna accept non-residents of the country where the embassy is, just two weeks left to Nov 13. So they have to know regulations. As they told me on the phone in Thai Embassy in Poland, they will not only issue METV starting on Nov 13th, but also accept any passport. No matter if from polish citizen/resident or foreigner. I think it should be the same regulation in every Thai embassy no matter where..