Where to buy a helmet in Hat Yai?

nrasmussen

As I occasionally get a ride around town with a friend or a motorcycle taxi I would like to have a somewhat decent helmet. That is, one that doesn't feel like it's made of cardboard and that fits a head slightly larger than the average Thai's.

So far I haven't found one, so if anyone could give me some pointers, I'd really appreciate it.

Yeah, how much do you want to spend ? And what style ?

The most helpful guy is Motozilla, do you know where kiss channel is ? Stand with your back to it at the x-road .. Take the road going into town facing you, the shop is on he right hand side - he stocks HJC and shark the models he has on display maybe too expensive and too much for your needs but ask to look at his catalogue .. He will order a good open face with a retractable visor for you.

He's open in the afternoon / evening - send me a pm if you don't find anything there I know a couple of other spots too.

Thanks a lot! It seems to be rather close to where I'm staying.

I found his website now, and you're right that most of his helmets are too much for my casual use.

I was thinking about getting an open face model and wouldn't mind paying a couple of thousand baht or even more. I'll go and talk to him.

Sorry for being a bit vague but on the Diana side of the road, maybe three hundred meters towards where you turn right for Central Festival there's a fairly decent bike accessory shop. Everything from eggshell helmets up to real protection.

Go at the weekend if you don't speak much Thai as the daughter is there, she's pretty fluent and a lovely girl.

If you're spending a couple of thousand, get a Real Helmet (Real being the brand).

If you can't find this shop try https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jsr-Helmet-for-You/667388633272982

They look like they have everything from 300 baht to 40,000 baht helmets.

Edited by schondie

Sorry for being a bit vague but on the Diana side of the road, maybe three hundred meters towards where you turn right for Central Festival there's a fairly decent bike accessory shop. Everything from eggshell helmets up to real protection.

Go at the weekend if you don't speak much Thai as the daughter is there, she's pretty fluent and a lovely girl.

If you're spending a couple of thousand, get a Real Helmet (Real being the brand).

If you can't find this shop try https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jsr-Helmet-for-You/667388633272982

They look like they have everything from 300 baht to 40,000 baht helmets.

FYI .. He's moved ..

Stand with your back to Dianna and the road right leads up to the Sadao road. Follow this road and like you say his old shop used to be on the right next to some boutique hotel .. Keep on going straight, for 1km and on your left you will see a big temple, he's just past the temple under a block of apartments.

I used to like the shop until I realized how bad "real" equipment was - I wanted to buy a jacket for my wife and his wife refused to let my wife try one on ( very weird situation ) so I never go back there .. It's the same Chinese junk I can buy from 320sp.

Bro' his daughter is like 15 years old ..

Edited by recom273

Thanks a lot! It seems to be rather close to where I'm staying.

I found his website now, and you're right that most of his helmets are too much for my casual use.

I was thinking about getting an open face model and wouldn't mind paying a couple of thousand baht or even more. I'll go and talk to him.

Ahh .. Yes he has a Facebook page.

You can see - he only stocks full face, but go try on for size and then let him order from the HJC book. I would say, the cheapest FF is 3500 so 2000 should get you a open face job with visor goggles that slide back into the helmet - stop you getting scratches.

He's a nice and helpful chap, with good English ..

Another place is Siri racing .. Back to Diana turn left and follow the road, it's on one of the side roads to your right, just moved, a big red building.

If you keep on going you will see KTM, alpine stars and Siri big bike in your right, turn around and check again.

The problem you will have is they all stock full face helmets for the sensible rider. Very few locals are going to spend 2000b for an open face helmet when they can get one for less than 500b in bigC or steal one from the bike park of BigC.

I know my size and buy on mail order from helmet2home in Chiang mai or wait or if I'm after something very expensive, fly to Bkk.

If you aren't sticking about in hat Yai and end up with something decent, there are a couple of FB groups in hat yai, just sell it if you move on.

Edited by recom273

So I dropped by Motozilla today. Very nice guy, that's true.

I decided on a Life and Custom Merlin open face helmet which he had in stock in my size. Only downside was the price, 3850 baht, but it's a very nice helmet and it fits me perfectly, so I'm happy.

So I dropped by Motozilla today. Very nice guy, that's true.

I decided on a Life and Custom Merlin open face helmet which he had in stock in my size. Only downside was the price, 3850 baht, but it's a very nice helmet and it fits me perfectly, so I'm happy.

Hell !! That's a lot of money .. Look after it. Ahh .. Life and Kustom .. Like the retro biker shop ? Does he stock anything else in that brand, t-shirts or anything ? Edited by recom273