Starting all over again in Thailand - what would you do different?

flyDelight

Live a simpler life. Wouldn't of bought things I don't need such as a couple of houses, a condo, and 4 cars.

Would of made sure I understood the difference between......Do I want it.....compared to..... Do I need it.

After 20 plus years in Thailand, the more you have doesn't equal a happier life.

Apart from that.... I've had rather a good run. Nothing else I would change..

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would have bought a condo in a newer building. Also would have given more thought to the management of the condo.

Still, buying has been worth the money, endless rent for 11 years would have been money down the drain.

All in all, moving here has been very successful and interesting.

Most people who endlessly complain, have made brainless decisions, and would have ended up with the same problems in their own country.

Each to their own...I <deleted!> love it here....my wife and my child are gods blessings...nobody told you something is for free...nobody told you it will be easy...nobody told you you haven't work for it...the go home( somewhere else) phrase it you don't like it... Not from me

Everything i ever did in Thailand i was happy with

no regrets

EXCEPT 1

I would have built a shack instead of a 5 star home

now occupied by the parents living in it with a pig in

what used to be our bedroom, a waste of effort and

money.

I think that the only thing that I would do differently would be not to get involved with buying property here.

I would have done the exact opposite.. I have been coming to Thailand since 1973, I did buy several properties/built our home when the exchange rate was in the 40s (USD). I wish I had tracked the baht and taken advantage when it was in the 50s. If I had known I would still be married to the same women for 42 years. I would have purchased lots of land. It was almost nothing 40 years ago....

Decades in Asia, I've still time but wish I'd seen more of the world. Patagonia, NZ, Mongolia, parts of India, remote mtns in China, Myanmar -bunch of places. Many ruined now.

Maybe live in Japan or China teaching and hosing uni students and office milfs.

Spent more time in remote areas snorkeling reefs cuz there all gone now.

Been in the stock market more 2009 to date.

Paid for some really top first class talent before I got married.

Spent less time in harsh sun, wrinkles. Cest la vie

Established bank acct in hkg and sin without the hassles

Bought serious amount of gold at us400oz.

Few regrets honestly. Pretty happy in my marriage.

Wish I'd worked five years longer, wasn't possible.

Wish I knew how to do home renovation and build. Basic electrical stuff.

Wish I went on to grad school, couldn't afford it. Should have gone into diplomatic corp.

As for Thailand I'd actually thought of writing a book about how to really do it right.

I came over here fairly young, it was crazy and good times. Nice to be 35-40 and have the women all over you cuz the old farts are generally not to appealing. Now I'm an old fart with wife fifteen years my Jr.

Edited by Rocketsurgeon

I wouldnot have tried to get immersed in Thailand and Thai culture,or get married or buy a house of which I bought 2. Probably would have used taxis and not even bought a car.

I would have taken a long lease on a house or condo or townhouse in Bangkok or Pattaya and lived the irresponsible single mans life. Finding the best restaurants and staying active varied activities. Basically live here but not invest or care be in a position to leave on the next plane in a whim.

I am reasonably happily married , have a beautiful wife of compatible age , if much younger both are grandparents . I have renovated my wife's home to a comfortable gentleman's residence and helped to build another house for her son and grandchildren . My wife's family are kind and friendly and not a financial drag on me . I love my wife even though she doesn't see much need for intimacy . We live in rural Thailand , where I find that local culture has little relation to western European culture . After nearly ten years I am bored to tears ; my wife complains that I spend all day at the computer , but it is the only way to keep my sanity . I think if I had my time again , I might not have settled in Thailand

Jesus, this is a sad post........

I am reasonably happily married , have a beautiful wife of compatible age , if much younger both are grandparents . I have renovated my wife's home to a comfortable gentleman's residence and helped to build another house for her son and grandchildren . My wife's family are kind and friendly and not a financial drag on me . I love my wife even though she doesn't see much need for intimacy . We live in rural Thailand , where I find that local culture has little relation to western European culture . After nearly ten years I am bored to tears ; my wife complains that I spend all day at the computer , but it is the only way to keep my sanity . I think if I had my time again , I might not have settled in Thailand

But often a recurring one I'm afraid.

Lots of expats stuck here with the realisation that more so village life is terribly mundane and a far cry from the paradise that was once experienced at some of the kingdoms many tourist areas many moons ago.

Being fed 35 baht noodle soup and sai gok Issan sausage while all the time longing for corned beef hash or shepherds pie and a pint of Guinness.

Edited by stoneyboy

If not happy then he should leave, with or without the wife. Sounds as if he's already done alot to help and could relocate without any guilt.

Many jump the gun and build what they see as a future in the country, before they have a complete picture of what life will be like. He should have made the move long ago.

It is sad.

..... We live in rural Thailand , where I find that local culture has little relation to western European culture . After nearly ten years I am bored to tears ; my wife complains that I spend all day at the computer , but it is the only way to keep my sanity .

I'm impressed and amazed that you lasted 10 years; I couldn't stick rural Thailand for 10 days.

I think that the only thing that I would do differently would be not to get involved with buying property here.

I would have done the exact opposite.. I have been coming to Thailand since 1973, I did buy several properties/built our home when the exchange rate was in the 40s (USD). I wish I had tracked the baht and taken advantage when it was in the 50s. If I had known I would still be married to the same women for 42 years. I would have purchased lots of land. It was almost nothing 40 years ago....

I did buy property 40 years ago, and I've bought more since, but not here. I did very well out of it, with my original purchase now worth well over 20 times what it cost when I bought it.

But I see very little that is attractive about the Thai property market, which I think is best described as an unregulated den of thieves and liars.

Oh my goodness, you need to pop round to Kens.

Easy.

+ Played around just a bit more before settling down with Thai Wife.

+ Secured job as "Female Interviewer" at Spanky's in Nana Plaza.

+ Certified all girls at "Naughty Girls" on Soi See, Sukhumvit.

+ Got that beautiful girl's number that crazy night @ Tawandang.

+ Found sooner the special "All-You-Can-Eat-Tacos" at Sunrise Tacos in Terminal 21.

+ Dated that rich woman longer in Chiang Mai.

+ Learned how to IMPORT BUD Lite into Thailand.

OK. Enough of my dribble.

I'm pretty happy!!