Stolen Koh Tao Ipad GPS signal leads Phuket police to electronic card skimmer suspects from Brazil,

rooster59

Stolen Koh Tao Ipad GPS signal leads Phuket police to electronic card skimmer suspects from Brazil, France

1446341349_1.jpg

PHUKET: The GPS tracking signal of an Ipad reported stolen recently on Koh Tao led Phuket police to a house on the south of the island early this morning, where they found and arrested three suspects in possession of the stolen item along with electronic cards and skimming equipment believed to have been used to target 'many tourists over several years'.

Acting on a tipoff from the Koh Tao Police in Surat Thani, Phuket Police at 1am early this morning (November 1) tracked the stolen Ipad GPS signal to a house on Soi Sai 1 in Chalong.

Police identified three foreign suspects, all foreigners travelling together by motorbike who entered the house, prompting police to move in and identify themselves before raiding the house, where they found the stolen Ipad and a number of other items.

The suspects were named as 21-year-old Juan Pablo Da Costa Varao, a French national of Latin descent; 26 year-old Phellipe Andre Dias and 24-year-old Lucidio Firmino da Silva Junior, both Brazilian nationals.

Police seized a notebook computer, Ipad, two Iphones, three skimming devices, two Visa electronic cards and one Mastercard electronic card, and charged the suspects with "joining together and possessing equipment for duplicating or copying electronic card data belonging to others" and "theft of valuables belonging to others".

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/stolen-koh-tao-ipad-gps-signal-leads-phuket-police-to-electronic-card-skimmer-suspects-from-brazil-france-54771.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-11-01

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A country with 25 million tourist a year, some of them will be bound to the bad kind' is just that Thailand

with lack luster relaxed attitude toward non drugs foreign criminal operating in Thailand

only encourage them to come here and ply their tricks and crime...

I don't see any skimming devices on this photo.

Only three magnetic stripe readers that are not illegal to possess.

That is not correct to call those devices "skimmers".

There are many legal uses of this equipment.

It still needs to be proved that these guys were involved in credit card fraud.

I would suggest that you take a few minutes and click on the link to the original article.

I wish the RTP would start a campaign to advertise the wonderful jail conditions for jailed foreign card skimmers, drug mules, and other felons in order to act as a deterrent to these 'Richard'-heads.

Suggested logo: Vacation in Thailand, but Commit Crimes in Your Own Country

post-87058-0-22112200-1446360389_thumb.j

don't steal iphone, iPad, ... these gadgets are locked with a password and can be detected from another phone or pc.

a stolen iPhone / iPad protected with find my phone is totally useless and you can be caught.

now they can rest for 5 years in a Thai prison. would have been cheaper to buy their own iPad.

Edited by VIPinthailand

I am sure these Scum will be thankful for your support. If the Boys in Brown are astute, you can expect them to be knocking on your door to enquire how you seem to know a fair bit about "Skimming".

The problem with long term thieves is that they steal for a living so eventually they do something stupid and get busted.

Can someone here tell me for a fact the following.

Do you get reimbursed by a Thai bank for unauthorized use? I don't like that kassikorn splash warning.... It makes it look like that will not pay in case of fraud.

How much jail time do these people get? Or do they just get deported?

All this stuff frightens me, so a couple years ago I shifted all my savings out of accounts with ATM cards, now I have to enter a bank and withdraw money OTC using my passport as ID. I don't find it inconvenient at all and I feel secure that scumbags such as these here cannot steal my savings.

Instead of always going for the headline hits wht doesn't TVF do a follow up on the sentencing.This may deter,some scammers but i doubt it.At least it will give us something to whinge about.

because in Thailand they arent allowed to, but the judges are perfect so its not a problem

The problem with long term thieves is that they steal for a living so eventually they do something stupid and get busted.

Do you get reimbursed by a Thai bank for unauthorized use? I don't like that kassikorn splash warning.... It makes it look like that will not pay in case of fraud.

My understanding of it is in LOS you will not get reimbursed by a Thai bank.

nobody knows but they probably have the option of paying a large sum of money and maybe even being able to stay, its happened many times before

Thanks.

Another reason not to have any money here even the marriage extension money. I am sure a good connected thief could steal a condo if I buy one. Really behind times on everything.

All this stuff frightens me, so a couple years ago I shifted all my savings out of accounts with ATM cards, now I have to enter a bank and withdraw money OTC using my passport as ID. I don't find it inconvenient at all and I feel secure that scumbags such as these here cannot steal my savings.

Wait until the bank staff doblink.png

Correct - no chance of any reimbursement. They would not even supply me with the video from the ATM, had to be a report to the police and let the police see the video - just a complet joke and waste of time. I suppose the bank has to protect themselves from claims, but in the case of a documented skimming scam then they should compensate - but I dream on yet again ...

don't steal iphone, iPad, ... these gadgets are locked with a password and can be detected from another phone or pc.

a stolen iPhone / iPad protected with find my phone is totally useless and you can be caught.

now they can rest for 5 years in a Thai prison. would have been cheaper to buy their own iPad.

What do you recommend we steal?

Wait until the bank staff doblink.png

Good point - there have been some reported cases where bank staff have been involved in unauthorised withdrawals from the bank book ...

Edited by LivinginKata

Barin,you seem to be very knowledgeable on "equipment" used for criminal activities !!

I know something about skimming, there is a lot of information available on Internet.

I used to work part-time at the Cyber Crime department of Police in my home country.

Goody Two Shoes!!!!!!

I have banked in Thailand for over 10 years without any issues. But I have more than one account. One I use as my deposit account for direct transfers from my US bank. The other I use at ATMs. I simply go online and do a free transfer from one account to the other then withdraw that money at the ATM only leaving at most 1,000 Baht in my ATM account. A bit easier than having to go into the bank to withdraw cash, then store it in your house, which may get broken into.