Stolen Koh Tao Ipad GPS signal leads Phuket police to electronic card skimmer suspects from Brazil,

rooster59

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with long term thieves is that they steal for a living so eventually they do something stupid and get busted.

Can someone here tell me for a fact the following.

Do you get reimbursed by a Thai bank for unauthorized use? I don't like that kassikorn splash warning.... It makes it look like that will not pay in case of fraud.

How much jail time do these people get? Or do they just get deported?

My understanding of it is in LOS you will not get reimbursed by a Thai bank.

No, I think that is wrong.

The problem with long term thieves is that they steal for a living so eventually they do something stupid and get busted.

Do you get reimbursed by a Thai bank for unauthorized use? I don't like that kassikorn splash warning.... It makes it look like that will not pay in case of fraud.

No, I think that is wrong.

When have you ever read or heard of a customer being reimbursed by a Thai bank? I never have in the over 10 years I've had Thai Bank accounts. My bank in the US, no problem... Thailand, big problem!

Barin,you seem to be very knowledgeable on "equipment" used for criminal activities !!

I know something about skimming, there is a lot of information available on Internet.

I used to work part-time at the Cyber Crime department of Police in my home country.

Ah... a University of Google degree in criminology and a part time job with the Police. And in spite of that you still don't even half half a clue of what you are talking about.

The three white devices are indeed card readers, they read card information which can be stored on a laptop or PC. 'Skimming' bank cards is the act of surreptitiously recording the details in the magnetic strip - so these devices can correctly be described as devices used for skimming. The smaller black devices on the laptop I'm pretty sure you will find are for recording the skimmed info onto another card.

I think you need to wake up and smell the coffee Barin.... Whilst I'm fully in support of 'innocent until proven guilty', I'm staggered that anyone could seriously believe that these three 'gentlemen', already caught in possession of a stolen iPad, and a laptop containing numerous bank card details, might have a lawful reason to be carrying around such equipment....

don't steal iphone, iPad, ... these gadgets are locked with a password and can be detected from another phone or pc.

a stolen iPhone / iPad protected with find my phone is totally useless and you can be caught.

now they can rest for 5 years in a Thai prison. would have been cheaper to buy their own iPad.

As long as the IOS device doesn't have network to check that it's stolen and needs to broadcast its location it's safe to disable the password and reset the device.

AFAIK it doesn't do MAC or other identification.

More about IOS security on http://www.apple.com/business/docs/iOS_Security_Guide.pdf

Instead of always going for the headline hits wht doesn't TVF do a follow up on the sentencing.This may deter,some scammers but i doubt it.At least it will give us something to whinge about.

There's enough whingeing on here as it is 555

I don't see any skimming devices on this photo.

Only three magnetic stripe readers that are not illegal to possess.

That is not correct to call those devices "skimmers".

There are many legal uses of this equipment.

It still needs to be proved that these guys were involved in credit card fraud.

Well surely a magnetic stripe reader can skim too?

But personally I have no use for a card reader while enjoying a holiday on a tropical island.

So what legal use do you suggest they have them for?

i have a Bangkok Bank ATM card with a chip in it, a couple of times i have tried to make a purchase and the "swipe" machine will not recognise it, i have to use cash, so in my eyes the card is "bandit" proof, (or is it ?)

I have one of those, it only works in BKB atms so more secure than the older cards I guess.

The guys in the picture obviously spent their ill gotten gains on fancy wardrobe........NOT!

Edited by riceyummm

They should get 10 years , What is wrong with these people stealing people bank accounts is a really low act .

Not reading all, I just hope somebody says good work boys, lucky or not in finding but figuring things out..

Correct - no chance of any reimbursement. They would not even supply me with the video from the ATM, had to be a report to the police and let the police see the video - just a complet joke and waste of time. I suppose the bank has to protect themselves from claims, but in the case of a documented skimming scam then they should compensate - but I dream on yet again ...

do, please, name for me 1 country in which a bank would give private citizen access to atm cctv cameras.

it would seem your sense of entitlement is not shared by others.

Foreign criminals are very easy to spot. Sadly at the airport and land border crossings even with a passport check they welcome them right in. These three stooges Moe ,Larry and Curly have criminal written all over them.

Confession: I see slimy faces like this all the time, but often think to myself that I'm being too judgemental. I guess I'll give myself a small nod of approval.

All this stuff frightens me, so a couple years ago I shifted all my savings out of accounts with ATM cards, now I have to enter a bank and withdraw money OTC using my passport as ID. I don't find it inconvenient at all and I feel secure that scumbags such as these here cannot steal my savings.

Wait until the bank staff doblink.png

Good point - there have been some reported cases where bank staff have been involved in unauthorised withdrawals from the bank book ...

What's the alternative? In order to live here on my retirement extensions I must keep 800,000THB in a Thai bank. So I have no choice. But my 800,000THB is locked in a fixed-term deposit, so it's safe from the ATM skimmers and I should image being in a fixed-term account it's as safe as could be from dishonest bank staff.

I would like like to see a link too. I remember my ex Thai never got refunded for 30,000 baht that just disappeared from her bank account. My current gf confirmed the same... Basically tough luck. I'd like to hear from TV posters.

30,000 must be a lucky number for Thais?

I have been asked for loans for this amount twice. One even ring and say she was in hospital and needed 30k to settle the bill.

Also a friend loaned 30k to a gf for business but never get back.

In farangs case they cab easy add on 00's, get to 3 million and have a free house the farang cant even own.

Always farangs getting busted for this.

After all, Thais dont have to take any risk.

Easier to send wife,gf, daughter to Pattaya and find some idiot farang to buy a house. When payed for they will start plans to make him wanna go home.

Completely legal and like taking candy from a baby.

LoL

I can vouch for the non-reimbursement. My missus had 15,000 skimmed and is still fighting the bank after 4 months. Even had one dear in the bank suggest that her son may have been responsible and bought games on line, all without any evidence, of course. She reported the loss in the week she noted it, after they skimmers took three lots of B30 to test if they could get away with it, they then took 5 separate lots of B3,000 over one day.

Has now contacted head office, the excuse for the delay in giving the money back, they are trying to trace the money trail. A total lot of BS, doesn't take that long and wait for it, despite knowing the bank from where it was taken, they never checked the video, which we have since found out was deleted after three months. My guess, nothing will come back and she will have to put it down to experience. However, she now has texts to inidicate every withdrawal, so hopefully no more dramas but who knows..

Thai bank accounts are said to be insured up to, 50 million, (correct me if Im wrong)

What exactly does the insurance cover?

Wrong amount - I think it's only up to 1 million baht (used to be only 500K baht) and that government insurance only covers if the bank company collapses. Nothing to do with individual account losses.

I don't see any skimming devices on this photo.

Only three magnetic stripe readers that are not illegal to possess.

That is not correct to call those devices "skimmers".

There are many legal uses of this equipment.

It still needs to be proved that these guys were involved in credit card fraud.

Presumably if they had valid reasons they would have explained them to the police and they may have avoided arrest?

I am curious, though, what sort of legitimate use do you think these three could have made of 3 magnetic stripe readers that they had in their home?

The magnetic stripe readers are used by many companies and individuals to prevent unauthorized access to computers and files.

Just possession of a magnetic stripe reader may not be an indication of any illegal activity.

"Innocent until proven guilty".

Except that this forum isn't a court of law.