Majority supports Prayut's "close country" remark: Poll

rooster59

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Given the amount of different sujects each week (Including today) on the PM's latest utterances leads me to the following sad conclusion.

On another thread I mentioned I had never seen a single episode of the weekly fireside chat. I actually believe it constitues brain......g of the population. You know the old addage 'If you keep repeating things as often as possible, people believe it is reality'.

I often try to think what would have happened if Mrs Thatcher or Tony Blair (to provide balance) felt they needed to speak on TV to the multitude for perhaps an hour each week. How would they invent new subjects to address?.

No, I think by embarking on this weekly dialogue with the Thai population, the PM seems to be either making it up at times, or his advisers have to scamble about for 'new' subjects each week - just like a soap opera.

Just look at this weeks menu on the TVF.

Close country

Household debt

Save money

Social Order

Saving Thai culture.

Lets make a guess. Say 80 weeks since the coup and that many weekly homilies, containing perhaps one or two different promises or directives to this or that government department.

No, I think he should really consider another way of doing things. I seem to remember a decision had been taken to reduce these weekly TV shows.

It just seems so juvenile - but then, I can't put myself in the mind of the average Thai.

The Khmer Rouge had similar ideas.

The Khmer Rouge under Pol Pot's guidance wanted to eradicate the elite and the educated.

The Thai government under Prayut C-O can say they want to eradicate poverty. but they can't & won't say they want to eradicate the poor.

That's a good idea, add galloping inflation to the mix. smile.pngsmile.png

There doesn't seem to be galloping inflation in most of the countries using quantitave easing. The trick is to stop before inflation takes hold.

Not sure they'd manage that here though.

I'm not sure they are not already doing it,

Most of the 1000thb notes i use daily seem brand new

Unless they started ironing them before they're going into the atm I suspect they are already printing new money.....

You're lucky with a fistful of 1000s.

Many poor, rural Thais rarely see them let alone get their dirty hands on them. Much market business is conducted in 100s and 20s.

Likewise the banks remove soiled banknotes out of respect for the person whose picture is on them.

And what exactly does he mean by "close the country " ?

They will kick us out plain and simple. That will be subject of a future poll.
Prayut are you a puppet? Whose really pulling the strings? Kick out foreigners? Adjust you attitude Prayut. Your foot is in your mouth.

Prem and his cronies are pulling the strings as they have been doing for years. Prem hates the Thaksin clan so told Mr.P to take over the country and squash the stupid democracy b/s forever.

Given the amount of different sujects each week (Including today) on the PM's latest utterances leads me to the following sad conclusion.

On another thread I mentioned I had never seen a single episode of the weekly fireside chat. I actually believe it constitues brain......g of the population. You know the old addage 'If you keep repeating things as often as possible, people believe it is reality'.

I often try to think what would have happened if Mrs Thatcher or Tony Blair (to provide balance) felt they needed to speak on TV to the multitude for perhaps an hour each week. How would they invent new subjects to address?.

No, I think by embarking on this weekly dialogue with the Thai population, the PM seems to be either making it up at times, or his advisers have to scamble about for 'new' subjects each week - just like a soap opera.

Just look at this weeks menu on the TVF.

Close country

Household debt

Save money

Social Order

Saving Thai culture.

Lets make a guess. Say 80 weeks since the coup and that many weekly homilies, containing perhaps one or two different promises or directives to this or that government department.

No, I think he should really consider another way of doing things. I seem to remember a decision had been taken to reduce these weekly TV shows.

It just seems so juvenile - but then, I can't put myself in the mind of the average Thai.

To be frank, I don't think that the average Thai takes a blind bit of notice of his program.

Prayut are you a puppet? Whose really pulling the strings? Kick out foreigners? Adjust you attitude Prayut. Your foot is in your mouth.
Prem and his cronies are pulling the strings as they have been doing for years. Prem hates the Thaksin clan so told Mr.P to take over the country and squash the stupid democracy b/s forever.

So whose pulling Prem's strings?

I've just won a bet with my wife. After Big Chief Five Rivers came out with his announcement about possibly staying on, followed by denials from his minions that he meant what he said, I told the missus that I feared this was just another bit of kite flying which would almost certainly be followed by news of one of those all-too-familiar surveys showing that a majority of Thais supported the idea.

This is one bet I wish I would have been happy to lose. Poor old Thailand.

I've just won a bet with my wife. After Big Chief Five Rivers came out with his announcement about possibly staying on, followed by denials from his minions that he meant what he said, I said this was a piece of kite flying which would almost certainly be followed by news of one of those all-too-familiar surveys showing that a majority of Thais supported the idea.

Ever had that feeling you are sorry you won?

I've just won a bet with my wife. After Big Chief Five Rivers came out with his announcement about possibly staying on, followed by denials from his minions that he meant what he said, I said this was a piece of kite flying which would almost certainly be followed by news of one of those all-too-familiar surveys showing that a majority of Thais supported the idea.

Careful, you'll have the old bill knocking the door as betting is illegal. thumbsup.gif

Probably be like N. Korea....

What a dumb reaction, you think thailand can go back to the level of N korea? They are far too spoiled for that. Internet will never close, how will the Thai keep contact with their family abroad if it was closed?

Also all investors will disappear, (bet they are shocked to hear this plan in Japan or the US allready).

I also will stop thinking of any business at all in Thailand, i should be happy if i still can come here. From now on i will keep a nice condo abroad for emergency.

He means to say that he don't give a dime about what the EU-USA or any other nation thinks or wants from Thailand. They can all go F themselves and he's right in that.

I'm happy here as long as there is no more war in BKK, no more shootings/bombings/blocking roads. And for tourists i also don't care.

But if i'm not welcome here anymore then we sell our property and move to the EU....Spain is also nice and cheaper then BKK. My wife even can wear a small bikini there all day, can't wait for that!tongue.png

Probably be like N. Korea....

What a dumb reaction, you think thailand can go back to the level of N korea? They are far too spoiled for that. Internet will never close, how will the Thai keep contact with their family abroad if it was closed?

Also all investors will disappear, (bet they are shocked to hear this plan in Japan or the US allready).

I also will stop thinking of any business at all in Thailand, i should be happy if i still can come here. From now on i will keep a nice condo abroad for emergency.

He means to say that he don't give a dime about what the EU-USA or any other nation thinks or wants from Thailand. They can all go F themselves and he's right in that.

I'm happy here as long as there is no more war in BKK, no more shootings/bombings/blocking roads. And for tourists i also don't care.

But if i'm not welcome here anymore then we sell our property and move to the EU....Spain is also nice and cheaper then BKK. My wife even can wear a small bikini there all day, can't wait for that!tongue.png

She could wear that in pattaya and nobody would notice :)

It is rather worrying if this 'poll' is a harbinger of the junta's intentions. Let us hope not.

If you look at past polls relating to the junta or gov pretty much all of them have supported what the gov wants and many of them have been used to give support to the gov ideas. Kind of like testing the water before you jump in. It would not surprise me if P deciced for national security that he needed to close thailand the same way N. Korea did. The same way he is tryin to get a single gateway to control what thais see and say online. Only time will tell thougg what is really on the gov agenda. Lets hope that whatever happens it doesnt turn into a miny china or N. Korea

You actually think Prayuth might close Thailand like N Korea ?.

Man, you have no idea what's going on do you ?.

You understand nothing but think you do. Like the average North Korean actually. Do you really have any clue at all about why countries have international internet gateways ?.

I have seen nothing from Prayuth which leads me to doubt his intention to tackle the cause of things like the amnesty disgrace and a Parliament full of cronies before returning to whatever form of Thai-style democracy we have next.

The biggest danger to Thailand right now is if something happens to Prayuth and someone else gets to use article 44. That's the No.1 reason to get reforms in place and hold elections as quickly as possible.

"The biggest danger to Thailand right now is if something happens to Prayuth and someone else gets to use article 44. That's the No.1 reason to get reforms in place and hold elections as quickly as possible."

Do you tape your duck?

Prayuth was put in place, and they have over 5000 other generals to choose from. Thanks for the laugh.

cheesy.gif

Majority supports Prayut's "close country" remark: Poll

I hate to say I told you so, but look what happened three days later. . .

Quite a collection of BS offered there ' half jokingly ' said he might have to stay on, ' never entertained the idea of staying longer in the office ' and ' just wanted to stay in the office as necessity warrants '.

Let's try this again Mr. PM and this time with more sincerity. cheesy.gif

It's called flying a kite. Wait for the next move - another of those gob-smacking surveys which will show 99.9 per cent in favour of Big Chief Five Rivers bossing the wigwam for as long as he deems necessary.

My apologies for getting the percentage wrong.

Careful, you'll have the old bill knocking the door as betting is illegal. thumbsup.gif

For some reason, she wouldn't put money on me being wrong!

It is rather worrying if this 'poll' is a harbinger of the junta's intentions. Let us hope not.

If you look at past polls relating to the junta or gov pretty much all of them have supported what the gov wants and many of them have been used to give support to the gov ideas. Kind of like testing the water before you jump in. It would not surprise me if P deciced for national security that he needed to close thailand the same way N. Korea did. The same way he is tryin to get a single gateway to control what thais see and say online. Only time will tell thougg what is really on the gov agenda. Lets hope that whatever happens it doesnt turn into a miny china or N. Korea

You understand nothing but think you do. Like the average North Korean actually. Do you really have any clue at all about why countries have international internet gateways ?.

I have seen nothing from Prayuth which leads me to doubt his intention to tackle the cause of things like the amnesty disgrace and a Parliament full of cronies before returning to whatever form of Thai-style democracy we have next.

The biggest danger to Thailand right now is if something happens to Prayuth and someone else gets to use article 44. That's the No.1 reason to get reforms in place and hold elections as quickly as possible.

"You actually think Prayuth might close Thailand like N Korea ?."

John, didn't he just say so?

"Man, you have no idea what's going on do you ?."

Well John, why don't you explain it to us since you obviously have inside information about what Dear Leader really means.

"You understand nothing but think you do. "

Tsk, tsk John. Calling people stupid without actually using the word.

"Do you really have any clue at all about why countries have international internet gateways ?."

Why don't you educate us, John?

"I have seen nothing from Prayuth which leads me to doubt his intention to tackle the cause of things like the amnesty disgrace and a Parliament full of cronies before returning to whatever form of Thai-style democracy we have next."

John, we all know that you wouldn't doubt your hero if he started burning babies alive so that really doesn't say much. And has your short attention span made you forget that your hero granted himself an amnesty from all past, present and future crimes right after overthrowing the elected government?

"The biggest danger to Thailand right now is if something happens to Prayuth and someone else gets to use article 44."

Actually John, it's Dear Leader who is the greatest threat to Thailand.

I wouldn't put to much faith in an amnesty if I were him. They can always be overturned and there may even be doubts about it's legitimacy.

Not sure how you typed that with your head buried so deep in the sand. You're the one with no idea what's going on.

this isn't about closing Thailand or not...

it's about maintaining a fake sense of danger which justifies the self-appointed "PM" staying in power indefinitely while simultaneously disguising the fact that when ever real violence does break out that it will be a reaction against the oppression of this self-appointed eternal interim "government".

coffee1.gif

The tighter the amart closes its fist the more will eventually slip through its fingers.

Come on chop chop close the country.....see what happens. coffee1.gif

We have less than a few months to go before ASEAN if he is going to persue the route of isolating Thailand he must start with pulling the country out of that before it goes live. After that itll be like getting out of the EU.

If Thailand does pull out or delay its time to really get bothered if it dosnt then there is no way they can close the country down much further while at the same time integrating and opening up.

Chances are hes just talking out the back of his neck.

We shall see

Edited by englishoak

Majority supports Prayut's "close country"

Such headlines are pure poison for foreign investors.

Regardless of the context in which this was said, at last some foreign investment projects will be reconsidered.
Some leaders are not at all clear, what effects inwardly directed, populist statements can have to foreign states and investments.

Edited by tomacht8

Poll Question: Do foreigners have too much influence causing Thai culture to be reduced?

Poll Question: Are most of Thailand's problems caused by Foreigners?

Poll Question: Will it solve most of Thailand's problems if we blame foreigners and their influence?

Just guess the percentages they will count...