Opinion on True satellite packages platinum and gold

WilliamCave

Posters out there that have either of theses packages that can give some insight to what package is better .

Was at true yesterday and looked at there packages and prices .

One of my questions would be in either package is the programming in English mostly ?

I was looking at the. Platinum package with Internet in my home and 2 mobiles the cost was around 3700 baht for 3 TVs

The. Price does not bother me if I am getting the programs that are listed on the platinum pack in English .

Like to hear other posters opinion on the various packages please

Thanks in advance

Yes the programmes are in English.

There is a function on most channels to change between English or Thai language.

The quality of their HD channels is very good IMO.

Many of the channels repeat much of the programming over and over again.

Many expats in Thailand dislike True Visions.

It will be interesting to see if they can regain the rights to the English Premiere League football.

There are many internet subscription based services which provide similar content for cheaper.

During heavy rain you will encounter rain fade with loss of transmission and during the hotter months sun outages occur also causing loss of transmission.

The content for children is very good IMO.

The best that is available, is True,some good packages available

CTH is garbage, just got rid after 29 months, robbing bastuards

Try to see if cable is available

picture quality excellant

very rarely goes down, and good staff to talk to on phone

repeats, the same as sky and bt

can pay at 7/11 or shop on pattaya klang

All the channels are "not" in English. Sure, if it's a foreign channel it will probably be in English, but if it's a Thai channel it will be in Thai although if it's a western movie on a Thai channel there may be an English and Thai soundtrack. And on some Thai news channels sometimes like Ch 3 I think there may be an English soundtrack provided by a slow speaking translator who leaves out half of what the reporters are saying.

Please note that if you get the Platinum package the 4th settop monthly fee is free and on the Gold package the 3rd settop box free of monthly charge when on cable; don't think )not sure) you can via dish.

post-55970-0-55958100-1446538774_thumb.j

Here's a link to the TrueVisions channels lineup by package....just click the icons at the top to select you package. But it won't tell you what language the channels mostly broadcast. Basically, if the channel is from a western source it will probably be in English...if from a Thai source it will probably be in Thai & a few might have an English sidetrack also.

http://truevisionsgroup.truecorp.co.th/channellineup_web/1

Edited by Pib

Regarding my post above showing the TrueVisions Promotion in effect since 1 Jan 15, I'm on the Platinum Plan via cable, have three boxes, and pay Bt2,592 total per month (tax included)....have been for a long time. A couple years back I use to only have two boxes, noticed one day they had a promotion to get the 3d box with no additional monthly fee...so I called and got the 3rd box installed a few days later...only charge was the box deposit.

And in looking at the the True Promotions at this webpage I notice on Page 64 of the Key Promotions download I could now get the 4th box with no additionally monthly fee and also the monthly total price for 2, 3, or 4 boxes had dropped to Bt2,314 (tax included)....Bt278 lower per month than what I've been paying. Not bad at all for 4 boxes.

As shown above there is a similar deal for the Gold Plan although only the 3rd box is free per month. And like mentioned earlier I know this applies to TrueVisions via "cable" but not sure it applies to TrueVisions via "satellite dish"....you would need to call and ask. I thought for TrueVisions on satellite dish only two boxes could be hooked to each dish but maybe that has changed now...best to call TrueVisions and ask.

So, I just got off the phone with TrueVisions to confirm the promotion info and ask for a 4th box. My monthly fee is being dropped to Bt2,314/month for 2, 3 or 4 boxes (will take 3 business days to go into effect). They could have delivered/installed the 4th box this coming Thursday (2 days from now) but I have appointments late this week and on Monday so I instead scheduled the install for next Tuesday afternoon (they could have done it on Friday, Saturday or Monday if I had wanted).

There is a Bt1,000 deposit for the settop box (it use to be Bt2,000/box) and for each meter of cable needed to install the box there will be a Bt25 charge but I already have the cable installed for the room the box will go in.

I asked why my monthly price didn't automatically dropped...I was told the customer must call and ask for change to the promotion. One thing about promotions in this country where you already have a company's service like TV, internet, phone, etc., do not expect your price to automatically drop to the new price...many times you need to call and ask for the new pricing and they will gladly do it....or that's the way it been for me with TrueVisions for TV and TrueOnline for internet over the years.

If interested in this promotion, the number to call is on your TrueVisions bill at the top...0-2725-2727, select English when prompted to get an English speaking rep.

I has the gold package for many years now, good kids programs as mentioned and the learning channels very good too. Movies not so good, so I download them instead. Don't know about the sports channels, never watch sports, well a bit motor sports now and again and that's okay too.

True is Ok, I've had over the years both platinum & gold. The quality is pretty good. The reason I dumped them, well I didn't dump them but I went for a much lower thai package was that I could stream more, and better English & Spanish language channels and hence didn't need their higher packages.

Many people on here complain about True, but I never had any problems with them. You may find them overpriced, but that is very much dependent on what your alternatives are. If you have access to a decent internet connection then your options are endless, if not, then True is a pretty darn good deal

Edited by GinBoy2

How your residence/business is setup (multi-room, multi-story residence or small condo/apartment), ease of TV use desired in each room, type of shows/movies desired, age/technical skill of folks using the TV, and other factors are key considerations in whether you just want to go with internet streaming or conventional TV use. Different setups for different people.

I've been on their Gold package for several years - this thread is a good reminder that I need to get in touch with them and take advantage of these promotions that are now available - thanks for that Pib!

I don't know if it's changed since I originally signed up but back then if you wanted to get the Discovery Channel, History Channel, Nat Geo etc. you had to pay extra and specify that you wanted the "Discovery Package". If those channels are important to you I'd suggest getting confirmation that they are included in whichever package you go for.

The best thing about True Visions for me (or UBC as it was back then, when they weren't allowed to show any advertisements), with hindsight, has been the availability of cartoon channels in English. From the day our little'un was born I made it a rule in our house that cartoons could only be watched in English. It's about the only rule that has been abided by and it has definitely paid huge dividends in terms of her English language skills. It bugs the hell out of me that I lose the TV signal at the first hint of a rain shower (why does it always seem to happen during a live UFC broadcast...?!?), and I feel belittled that I still haven't figured out how to scroll down through the program info when I hit the "Info" button on the remote (I know there's more info there coz I can see the up & down arrows... but how the hell do you get to see it???), and I really think the monthly fees should've dropped significantly when they were finally allowed to collect advertising revenue as well as the monthly fees from subscribers, and even though I don't watch a lot of TV myself, I consider the monthly fees money well spent for the English language cartoons alone. Sad to say that

I know you can get streaming English language cartoons via the Internet these days, but back when I signed up here in Pattaya it was either True or one of the local cable/satellite networks and their cartoon channels were almost exclusively in Thai, as was 90% of their other channels, and the difference in the English language skills of kids of mates of mine who either have not had English language cartoons as an option or else have not insisted upon it is really noticeable. Sad to say, but I consider my decision to stick with True and to strictly enforce the "cartoons in English" policy as my crowning glory in 7 years of parenthood... Lol. I've contemplated changing my setup but ultimately it's more important to keep things easy. I can't be around 24/7, my daughter learned how to change the language when she was 3 years old so she knows how to use it, as does my missus, as does our maid, as do the in-laws... start changing things around and all of a sudden when I'm not around it's "too difficult" to find the English language content and everything ends up being in Thai, which is not what i want.

On a side note, I also have True Internet at my home and at my office, and I am generally very happy with that also.The speed seems pretty good, they sms me if they will be doing work to the network that might disrupt my Internet connection (which is a nice touch) and in my experience their customer service is streets ahead of what TOT had to offer when I was signed up with them.

For folks using or interested in True products/services I would really, really recommend you go to below True webpage occasionally and download the package called Key Promotions pdf as it's in good English and explains all their various promotions for mobile, TV, internet, etc.

Here the webpage: http://true.listedcompany.com/investor_package.html

They update this Key Promotions pfd a couple times a year....it's not like a monthly update...maybe just a couple or three times per year. I mean it's something you can really understand compared to True webpages which many times have little English and what little English there is for some promotions/products and which might translate partially using Google Translate can end-up confusing a person to no end and leaving a lot of questions in your mind.

And remember, if you notice True is now offering a new/improved/lower monthly price for a service you already have with them DO NOT expect them to automatically lower the price...you will probably have to contact them and ask (I always call)...it's what I have had to do over the years.

In fact over the last 12 months or so I also called to get my TrueOnline DOCSIS/cable 15Mb/1.5Mb internet plan lower in priced from Bt699 to Bt599. Fortunately, I spotted this lower price a month or so after the new pricing went into a affect. If I remember right when calling they said they would have automatically upgraded me to the 18Mb/1.8Mb plan at their new Bt699 fee for that plan but I said no I want to stay on 15Mb/1.5Mb and my price be adjusted down from Bt699/mo to Bt599/mo which was the new 15Mb/1.5Mb plan pricing. They said OK...took affect next business day.

I didn't want to upgrade to the 18Mb plan because I knew it would not offer me any more international speed plus with my 15Mb plan I was actually getting around 28Mb domestically due to the "bursting" capability of DOCSIS....now days I only get around 21Mb which is still way above the 15Mb advertised plan. And some domestic and international speed comparisons around a year ago with some other ThaiVisa members showed the 15Mb and 18Mb plan speeds, domestically and internationally, were basically the same. In fact, my 15Mb plan was besting their 18Mb plan in speed back then...don't know about today...but that was probably just a location thing as I was testing from western Bangkok and they were testing from the more populace central Bangkok. A few minutes ago is the speedtest.net result I got Bangkok to Bangkok.

post-55970-0-35429500-1446607006_thumb.j

Yeap, many times to take advantage of their new pricing on products/services you will need to contact them (I always just call) and request the change...if you don't contact them it probably will not happen automatically.

Regarding my post above showing the TrueVisions Promotion in effect since 1 Jan 15, I'm on the Platinum Plan via cable, have three boxes, and pay Bt2,592 total per month (tax included)....have been for a long time. A couple years back I use to only have two boxes, noticed one day they had a promotion to get the 3d box with no additional monthly fee...so I called and got the 3rd box installed a few days later...only charge was the box deposit.

And in looking at the the True Promotions at this webpage I notice on Page 64 of the Key Promotions download I could now get the 4th box with no additionally monthly fee and also the monthly total price for 2, 3, or 4 boxes had dropped to Bt2,314 (tax included)....Bt278 lower per month than what I've been paying. Not bad at all for 4 boxes.

As shown above there is a similar deal for the Gold Plan although only the 3rd box is free per month. And like mentioned earlier I know this applies to TrueVisions via "cable" but not sure it applies to TrueVisions via "satellite dish"....you would need to call and ask. I thought for TrueVisions on satellite dish only two boxes could be hooked to each dish but maybe that has changed now...best to call TrueVisions and ask.

So, I just got off the phone with TrueVisions to confirm the promotion info and ask for a 4th box. My monthly fee is being dropped to Bt2,314/month for 2, 3 or 4 boxes (will take 3 business days to go into effect). They could have delivered/installed the 4th box this coming Thursday (2 days from now) but I have appointments late this week and on Monday so I instead scheduled the install for next Tuesday afternoon (they could have done it on Friday, Saturday or Monday if I had wanted).

There is a Bt1,000 deposit for the settop box (it use to be Bt2,000/box) and for each meter of cable needed to install the box there will be a Bt25 charge but I already have the cable installed for the room the box will go in.

I asked why my monthly price didn't automatically dropped...I was told the customer must call and ask for change to the promotion. One thing about promotions in this country where you already have a company's service like TV, internet, phone, etc., do not expect your price to automatically drop to the new price...many times you need to call and ask for the new pricing and they will gladly do it....or that's the way it been for me with TrueVisions for TV and TrueOnline for internet over the years.

If interested in this promotion, the number to call is on your TrueVisions bill at the top...0-2725-2727, select English when prompted to get an English speaking rep.

As mentioned above I scheduled an appointment for 1-3pm Tuesday (today) to install the 4th box ....the True techs called at noon and said they would be at my house around 2pm and that's when they did indeed show up. Installed the 4th box....a Bt1,000 deposit for the box was the only charge as they didn't have to install any wiring which would have been Bt25/meter. They did swapout a 2 way RF power splitter for a 3 way RF power splitter due to the way my four boxes are wired up within the house...no charge for that splitter (these kind of splitter only cost around Bt100 and you can buy them most anywhere). So, I now have 4 settop boxes in my home on the Platinum package...3rd and 4th boxes are free of any additional monthly charge.