Average Thai consumes 26 teaspoons of sugar per day: officials

Jonathan Fairfield

Yes, there is research strongly indicating that consumption of "diet" sugars is strongly associated with increasing obesity. Weird, but true. It's not just about the simple minded math of calories. Obesity is much more complex than that.

Another example, fresh fruit has calories and has natural sugars but the sugars in fresh fruit (NOT JUICE!) are processed differently by the body.

I'm sure "diet" stuff does have a correlation to obesity. Just like the "other day" WHO said that eating bacon causes cancer. Funnily enough there is a very strong correlation between NOT eating bacon and ending up blowing yourself and other humans up with a bomb.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

most Thais get their sugar from beverages such as soft drinks (9 teaspoons per serving), green tea (13 teaspoons),

And yet the sugar free versions of those beverages are invisible in Thailand for most of the time

Don't get fooled by that.

Sugar free versions are worse than sugar containing and increase obesity rates - in particular, those containing Splenda, Aspartame, ACE-K, Neotame and Saccharin. Not only do they cause neuro-generative disease but they can cause cancer. Having said that, sugar is the leading cause of cancer and feeds the cancer once you have been afflicted by it.

So you are saying that the human body just ignores the laws of physics and magically turn 0 calories into "very high calories"?

No!! I'm saying that the human body obeys the laws of chemistry (I was a research chemist for 31 years). It is to do with glucose intolerance by compositional and functional alterations to the gut microbiota. If you want me to go into more detail I will. These chemical sweeteners also play havoc with the hunger and satiety hormones causing us to feel hungry when in fact we are not.

I don't think that you appreciate the complexity of the human body.

Yes, there is research strongly indicating that consumption of "diet" sugars is strongly associated with increasing obesity. Weird, but true. It's not just about the simple minded math of calories. Obesity is much more complex than that.

Another example, fresh fruit has calories and has natural sugars but the sugars in fresh fruit (NOT JUICE!) are processed differently by the body.

I'm sure "diet" stuff does have a correlation to obesity. Just like the "other day" WHO said that eating bacon causes cancer. Funnily enough there is a very strong correlation between NOT eating bacon and ending up blowing yourself and other humans up with a bomb.

You're just trolling now.

I obviously meant ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS such as are found in popular drinks like "Diet" sodas.

They are simply not the panacea many people think. Better to drink water or unsweetened tea/coffee.

Edited by Jingthing

Sugar free versions are worse than sugar containing and increase obesity rates - in particular, those containing Splenda, Aspartame, ACE-K, Neotame and Saccharin. Not only do they cause neuro-generative disease but they can cause cancer. Having said that, sugar is the leading cause of cancer and feeds the cancer once you have been afflicted by it.

So you are saying that the human body just ignores the laws of physics and magically turn 0 calories into "very high calories"?

No, that is not what he's saying.

Don't assume it's only about calories.

Because science is way beyond that simplistic thinking.

I'm not an oncologist but i do remember something about cancer feeding on carbohydrates (or well, the breakdown of it).

White sugar (99.9% sucrose) is a highly addictive drug. Don't think it's addictive? Try not eating any for one week. It has no nutritive value what-so-ever ... only empty calories.

Added sugar is the only thing commonly found in food which the human body does not need at all.

If you had written "carbohydrates" instead of sugars it would have been correct. A human being don't have to eat a single gram of carbohydrates in their entire life and still live a perfectly healthy life.

You can in theory, but you will suffer major multi-organ failures at some point (especially the kidney and heart), in other words, it is more correct to say you can live without refined sugar

No, that is not what he's saying.

Don't assume it's only about calories.

Because science is way beyond that simplistic thinking.

I'm not an oncologist but i do remember something about cancer feeding on carbohydrates (or well, the breakdown of it).

Correct!! which is why starving the body of simple carbohydrates for a prolonged period provides a cure through tumour necrosis.

Sugar in limited portions is fine.

It is in these high portions where disease is created.

Yes, white rice/white bread also converts to sugar.

Sugar is basically sugar, whether from brown sugar, sugar syrup, corn syrup, powdered, honey etc.

Sugars levels are very high in typical modern processed foods like ketchup and pretty much everything.

Such processed foods don't even have to taste very sweet to be packed with lots of sugar.

HIDDEN sugars, that's part of the daily dose, usually a BIG part.

Exception being fresh fruit as it's in the fiber the body processes differently so definitely healthier.

The modern world, including Thailand, has become an obesity promoting food environment. The masses are getting dosed with too much sugar without even consciously seeking the sugar or wanting to do that. Of course many do consciously pour on lots of sugar, but that's not necessary to get overdosed.

Edited by Jingthing

Promotion ads of green tea and soft drinks to face banning

1581-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Promotion of green tea and soft drinks is now eyed by the Department of Health for banning after considering their high levels of sugar that is harmful to health, particularly children and adults.

The deputy director-general of the Department of Health Dr Sutha Jienmaneechotchai stated that the Department was considering a proposal to control green tea and carbonated drinks which have high sugar content because it is detrimental to health, According to Bangkok Post reported.

He said the Consumer Protection Board and the Food and Drug Administration would be asked to regulate advertising promotions on soft drinks and green tea adverts because of the high sugar content was harmful to health.

He said Thais daily sugar consumption is over four times the World Health Organisation (WHO)s recommended level.

According to WHO, it recommends adults and children reduce their daily intake of free sugars to less than 10% of their total energy intake. A further reduction to below 5% or roughly 25 grammes per day would provide additional health benefits.

Thai consumes 104 grammes of sugar per day or about 26 teaspoons, he said.

Promotion campaign of soft drinks that offered cars and gold to consumers has encouraged over consumption of sugar, he said.

He said intake of sugar from normal food, such as rice, fruit or cooked food, is not harmful to health because it contains low levels of sugar, but excessive sugar added to manufactured food or drinks such as green tea is detrimental to health.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/promotion-ads-of-green-tea-and-soft-drinks-to-face-banning

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2015-11-05

DRINK BEER, IT'S HEALTHIER!

By the way, all the synthetic sweeteners are highly toxic too, The only safe sugar substitute is Stevia, which is natural,

Sugar in limited portions is fine.

It is in these high portions where disease is created.

Yes, white rice/white bread also converts to sugar.

Sugar is basically sugar, whether from brown sugar, sugar syrup, corn syrup, powdered, honey etc.

Sugars levels are very high in typical modern processed foods like ketchup and pretty much everything.

Such processed foods don't even have to taste very sweet to be packed with lots of sugar.

HIDDEN sugars, that's part of the daily dose, usually a BIG part.

Exception being fresh fruit as it's in the fiber the body processes differently so definitely healthier.

A good staring point would be to remove products with added sugar.

All these other issues are hidden sugar in carbohydrates, but sodas a d sweets are obvious things to remove.

I agree sugar drinks are so bad that's a rich sugary target to go after.

In many ways: public education, banning in schools, taxation, warning labels, requiring larger businesses (such as 7-11) to have alternatives on offer always in stock and not priced higher than the sugar drinks.

These are complex problems where the social mixes in a messy way with the personal.

If a person CHOOSES to put a big load of sugar on their noodle soup (which probably already contains a lot of processed sugary foods such as in meatballs) there is nothing that can be done about it.

But social policy CAN address some aspects of this where it is actually hard (and more expensive) to avoid hidden sugars.

Other countries are experimenting with such policies with some success already, such as Mexico.

Edited by Jingthing

I agree sugar drinks are so bad that's a rich sugary target to go after.

In many ways: public education, banning in schools, taxation, warning labels, requiring larger businesses (such as 7-11) to have alternatives on offer always in stock and not priced higher than the sugar drinks.

These are complex problems where the social mixes in a messy way with the personal.

If a person CHOOSES to put a big load of sugar on their noodle soup (which probably already contains a lot of processed sugary foods such as in meatballs) there is nothing that can be done about it.

But social policy CAN address some aspects of this where it is actually hard (and more expensive) to avoid hidden sugars.

Other countries are experimenting with such policies with some success already, such as Mexico.

The only hope for stopping people adding it to food is education. How it has become ubiquitous God knows.

First of all they have to remove the cap on the domestic price. That is a truly crazy policy.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Having just returned from Lao, and I remember Vietnam, not having a global company like MacDonalds, KFC, 7/11.

They do have mini-marts but not as prolific.

i.e. countries that seem to have a lesser health burden, in terms of overweight/obesity are those not having global / national food chains. I know it is our right to choose what we should/should not eat but even with educational awareness, it doesn't seem that most 'developed' countries are doing very well and ironically impose things like a sugar tax. If the price of food in Maccas' KFC etc hasan added 'sugar' tax, would it help anyway?

In addition to diabetes and heart disease, sugar also contributes to cancer. Yet people the world over, not just Thailand, a stupidly consuming this poison in large quantities.

Indeed.

Too much sugar leads to obesity and obesity is linked to increased cancer rates.

Sugar is being correctly demonized.

It is not a revelation that sugar is bad and makes you fat.

We westerners are the problem...look at all the fatties at the airport...all westerners !!!

Thais shold not follow the same path, but too much money in it. Western foods are a prime example of a millenium of bad choices. We are plagued with dieseases that are just now reaching over to asia.

Let us be a walking warning of changing to a fatty, sugary diet

We should be studying their diet, 30 years ago..before western Foods contaminated asia.

What a nonsense. The Mediterranean and Nordic diets are among the healthiest in the world.

Regardless of the food's origin, it tends to be processed foods that are the culprit. The Thai diet is excellent because of the heavy use of fresh herbs and natural ingredients. The use of sugars, salts and fats are minimal. Western food producers maximize profit by minimizing the cost of producing calories. The easiest way to do this is to add salt, sugar and cheap fats. Furthermore, the general processing of foods reduces their nutritional content and often removes the most beneficial elements of the food in it's natural state. Thus, eating more with less nutritional value -- fat and unhealthy.

BANGKOK: -- Promotion of green tea and soft drinks is now eyed by the Department of Health for banning after considering their high levels of sugar that is harmful to health, particularly children and adults.

Another genius lead in from Thai Visa. "harmful to health, particularly children and adults." Is there another category of human that they have not told us about? facepalm.gif

We westerners are the problem...look at all the fatties at the airport...all westerners !!!

Thais shold not follow the same path, but too much money in it. Western foods are a prime example of a millenium of bad choices. We are plagued with dieseases that are just now reaching over to asia.

We should be studying their diet, 30 years ago..before western Foods contaminated asia.

What a nonsense. The Mediterranean and Nordic diets are among the healthiest in the world.

Regardless of the food's origin, it tends to be processed foods that are the culprit. The Thai diet is excellent because of the heavy use of fresh herbs and natural ingredients. The use of sugars, salts and fats are minimal. Western food producers maximize profit by minimizing the cost of producing calories. The easiest way to do this is to add salt, sugar and cheap fats. Furthermore, the general processing of foods reduces their nutritional content and often removes the most beneficial elements of the food in it's natural state. Thus, eating more with less nutritional value -- fat and unhealthy.

Have you ever actually looked at all the prepackaged herbs and spices in Thailand and seen what's in them?

Any country that subscribes to Maggi sauce hardly has the right to claim a cuisine. Oyster sauces all with added sugars, msg and salt. Thailand is in no way immune to the problems of adulterated food.

Thai food isn't nearly as healthy in its current form as you think.

So are there any drinks sold at 7/11 that are 'healthy' and do not contain sugar, carbohydrates etc.

All I see are sweetened drinks.

Any specific drinks/brands to look out for?

Milk, unsweetened green tea, Gatorade, water, diet drinks...

Gatorade has about the same sugar content as the soft drinks though.

Coke light and Coke zero are the two choices for the people like me who wants something sweet to drink but are constantly fretting about calorie intake.

Wrong my friend!!

Zero and light drinks cause more obesity than sugar - don't believe me, then check the literature from independent scientists and health officials (not the drink producers though as they are manipulative liars).

If you are going to live unhealthily then don't deceive yourself by taking the zero calorie route.

I know someone who drinks several cans of pepsi max/diet coke everyday for the last decade. Still as fat as ever.

Personally I'm cutting down one sugar and carbohydrates in general, especially in the evenings an tending towards a paleo diet now - mostly fish / meats + vegetables and some fruit.

Once I came to Thailand I started to eat a traditional Thai diet. Rice and a lot of veggies and fruits. And a few traditional Thai snacks that are not highly sugared, like kalam or baked rice cakes with a little camel drizzled over the top. I lost 15 lbs. Now I look at other farang who live here and I'm thinking, how do you continue to eat the way you do. How can you live here and be borderline obese? Some I guess continue to eat like they did in their home countries.

No added sugar in my coffee thumbsup.gif

Fat sweet condensed milk is even worse and the Thai drink loads of that.

None of that crap in my coffee, either thumbsup.gif

I like a tad of cream in my coffee, but suffice here in the LOS with a bit of whole milk. I'd use evaporated milk if they had it here, but they don't. That garbage they call evaporated or condensed 'milk' is palm fat, sugar, with a splash of milk in it so it can be called a 'milk product'. Truth in labeling doesn't mean much here I've seen.

I've made my own evaporated milk at home. Place the milk in a double bowler and simmer until it's 2/3 to 1/2 the original volume, cool, then refrigerate. A tad bit of that in your coffee is about as good a cream and adds enough sweetness to boot if you like sweet. Don't need to add sugar. The increased lactose makes it sweet enough.