Prayut launches crackdown on organized crime to improve the image of his government

webfact

Prayuth Launches Crackdown on Organized Crime to Improve the Image of his Military Government

BANGKOK – On Thursday Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha and the Military launched a crackdown on organized crime, its latest effort to clean up the country and improve the image of the military government as it struggles to get a sluggish economy on track.

Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha, ushered in a “clean up Thailand” campaign shortly after he, as army chief, took power from an elected government in a 2014 coup, promising to root out vice and corruption in government and society in general.

This time, he said, the junta was targeting mafia-style crime bosses know as “influential figures”.

“We want people to be able to live their lives normally away from violence and its instigators, including those who use weapons,” said defense ministry spokesman Colonel Kongcheep Tantrawanit.

Full story: http://www.chiangraitimes.com/prayuth-launches-crackdown-on-organized-crime-to-improve-the-image-of-his-military-government.html

-- CHIANGRAI TIMES 2015-11-06

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ahha... another day, another crackdown, if it wasn't for the daily crackdown announcements, I would think

I'm living in another country, wouldn't be easier to form a crackdown ministry already

with it's on minister of crackdowns? by the way, how do you say crackdown in Thai? do they even

have a proper word for it?

We want people to be able to live their lives normally away from violence and its instigators, including those who use weapons, said defense ministry spokesman Colonel Kongcheep Tantrawanit.

The military have lots of weapons don't they?

Always to "improve the image" and never because it's the right thing to do. Have these people no morals?

Well if they had they would have ensured that the 2014 election happened, rather than allowing ( colluding in ) it to be trashed and then using that as the excuse to seize power for themselves.

This is likely to be another excuse to purge any ( internal ) opposition.

Edited by JAG

Always to "improve the image" and never because it's the right thing to do. Have these people no morals?

You are basing your comment as if the newspapers negative slanted interpretation is in fact true ?. Jeez - new in Thailand ?.

I remember the last protests where things which happened get put all over social media in real time - including pictures to show it. When I read some news articles I could not believe the things they hid. They are bought just like everyone else in this country.

Just be glad they are doing anything. It would NEVER have happened under the last lot.

I personally feel the answer to your question is NO.

Lack of morality is a malaise that is endemic in Land of Scams/Lack of Sanctions = LOS.

You are basing your comment as if the newspapers negative slanted interpretation is in fact true ?. Jeez - new in Thailand ?.

I remember the last protests where things which happened get put all over social media in real time - including pictures to show it. When I read some news articles I could not believe the things they hid. They are bought just like everyone else in this country.

Just be glad they are doing anything. It would NEVER have happened under the last lot.

It has NEVER happened under any lot, and NOTHING has happened under this lot. I could name you a dozen or more well-known mafia figures at the drop of the hat, which I, and everyone and their dog knows about, will they be touched? Of course not......

If the military Governments with section 44 cannot do anything about it, how the hell are normal Governments supposed to do anything, especially when many of these organized crime groups have extremely close relationships to police/military figures. Every elected Government panders to the military, and daren't really try to cut down on the corruption because it would be political suicide unfortunately.

It has NEVER happened under any lot, and NOTHING has happened under this lot. I could name you a dozen or more well-known mafia figures at the drop of the hat, which I, and everyone and their dog knows about, will they be touched? Of course not......

If the military Governments with section 44 cannot do anything about it, how the hell are normal Governments supposed to do anything, especially when many of these organized crime groups have extremely close relationships to police/military figures. Every elected Government panders to the military, and daren't really try to cut down on the corruption because it would be political suicide unfortunately.

Nail on the head !

Head to Samui with the corruption busters... The Taxi Mafia is out of hand and hurting the image of a happy place. There are also many many mafia figures on samui and in the Land Office... Land scams and encroachment... Its very sad here...

Ahha... another day, another crackdown, if it wasn't for the daily crackdown announcements, I would think

I'm living in another country, wouldn't be easier to form a crackdown ministry already

with it's on minister of crackdowns? by the way, how do you say crackdown in Thai? do they even

have a proper word for it?

Yep. After a campaign on drugs they might be able to say 'Crackdown after crackdown by Crackdown Ministry". Good headline.

Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha, ushered in a clean up Thailand campaign shortly after he, as army chief, took power from an elected government in a 2014 coup, promising to root out vice and corruption in government and society in general.

Well, to date the clean up Thailand campaign has clearly failed. So this new crackdown is just more hot air from the rear end.

I've never seen you reply to a topic, no matter what, without referring to the last govt. Whether by fair means or foul, they are history. I for one should therefore be grateful if you would stick to the topic in hand ie Prayut launching crackdown on organised crime.

How about a crackdown on crackdowns?

In all honesty though, if you overlook the ridiculing of the use of language 'improve the appearance'. Surly this is a good thing?

99% of you guys really should go back to where you came from, you obviously hate living in Thailand.

Why doesn't he start with prosecuting the mafia inside the military and RTP? You know, the ones that smuggled or were paid off to provide protection for all those Royhinga and Uighurs that were trafficked through Thailand. That would be the best strategy for improving the image of the government.

In all honesty though, if you overlook the ridiculing of the use of language 'improve the appearance'. Surly this is a good thing?

99% of you guys really should go back to where you came from, you obviously hate living in Thailand.

Of course its a good thing, but maybe people who live here have heard all this time and time again, and nothing ever happens, which is why there is so much skepticism.

I am sure everyone on here would be delighted should it actually happen.

Perhaps if you think there is a good chance of this happening, you should think about coming to live here....

One cannot see where a crackdown on organized crime will improve the image or the sluggish economy , one doesn't go hand in hand with the other , to improve the economy will take Thailand at least five years given the worlds market economy improves and one wonders just how many have left the governments treasury and finance sections since the Junta seized power , improving the Junta image, the only consolation here is that the junta has acknowledged that in some quarters it is not all that popular and strange as it may seem you now look like a second rate Thaksin government , the starling thought is did the Junta at some stage encourage organized crime, now that would be hard to swallow ................. coffee1.gif

Edited by chainarong

Of course its a good thing, but maybe people who live here have heard all this time and time again, and nothing ever happens, which is why there is so much skepticism.

Perhaps if you think there is a good chance of this happening, you should think about coming to live here....

Not sure how you devised that I should 'think about coming to live here' from that statement?

First meeting to tackle mafia influence

174-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The government yesterday held the first meeting to tackle the mafia problem within a six-month period following prime minister's announcement addressing local mafia influence across the country as a priority in his policy.

The meeting of the committee for internal integration was attended by relevant departments such as the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO), the Ministry of Defense, the Royal Thai Police, Ministry of Interior and the Centre for Integrated Security Solutions.

At the meeting, deputy prime minister in charge of internal security Gen Prawit Wongsuwan stated that there will be no plans for blacklisting these individuals but instead direct action will be taken focusing on setting teams to gather intelligence and locate suspected groups.

Gen Prawit said the government was very serious about ensuring the safety of the population and their property.

The government, he said, wanted to provide a healthy living environment where everyone can live a normal life without the fear of violence or intimidation from illegitimate groups such as mafias and other influential figures.

He stated further that the greatest threat comes from assault weaponry in the possession of these groups which they employ to protect their interests.

He said the committee would urge all civilians to help in the effort by reporting to authorities any information related to mafias so that immediate action can be taken so that the country can be purged of these unsavory characters and curtail their violent activities.
Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/first-meeting-to-tackle-mafia-influence

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-11-06

Not sure how you devised that I should 'think about coming to live here' from that statement?

Sorry i was just being facetious, you implied anyone who was critical or skeptical obviously hates Thailand and should leave, and i was implying that if you believed they would actually crack down on mafia there is a good chance you dont actually live here.