Armoured Mercedes-Benz car purchase clarified

webfact

It must be some sort of a country if the chief and the hangers on need these to gallivant about in and they invite tourists to holiday there , just bring your second hand Presidential Ford Lincoln folks , the one that used to be for LBJ or the Russian Volga once owned by Stalin ............coffee1.gif

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the trouble Volkswagens in? facepalm.gif You just flushed that money down the crapper.w00t.gif

It'll be a cold day in hell when VW has any money worries.

you've got that right sir. Not sure what khwaibah is referring to. VW has some of the most prestigious cars in the world under its wings.

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=volkswagen+group+subsidiaries&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAOPgE-LQz9U3MI-vKtHSzCi30k_Oz8lJTS7JzM_Tzy9KT8zLrEoEcYqtikuTijNTMhOLMlOLAfHu9-Q3AAAA

I don't get why people are concerned about this? Why people are comparing to previous governments? This order is for armour plated cars, not luxury cars. To plate up a car will more than double it's weight so the idea of plating up a Honda Jazz or Civic is ridiculous. I read comments such as "these are clearly not needed" by people who seem to think sitting in their village shop getting pissed on rank beer makes them a security expert! What a load of b*ll*x. Any country has a duty of care to visiting dignitaries, could you imagine the TV outcry if an visiting president got shot whilst travelling around in Bangkok in a Toyota or something? These are not just toys, they are part of a security package.

Yingluck Govt has not been there for 19 months, you dont need to spend the budget.

Where are the 22 bullet proof Range Rovers that the Democrat Government ordered, are they not okay for visiting dignatories?

I do wonder who will be seen in these cars the most.... visitors? ...

Quality tourists

Depends if you can do maths or not

Under Yingluck it was 90million for 4 Mercedes = 22.5million each

Under Prayut it is 78million for 3 same Mercedes and Volkswagen for 78 million

Lets assume 5million for the van (a guess)

That leaves 73million for 3 Mercedes = 24.3million each

Someone is trying to confuse us with that van.

....and I have way too much time on my hands today.

http://www.therichest.com/luxury/most-expensive/armored-cars/

Mercedez Benz S-Guard 600: $ 1.4 Million USD = 50 million Baht.

so they are getting a good deal !

Edited by easybullet3

Who gives a crap about the previous government that you toppled in a coup. Why are you always comparing things done by the previous government in order to try to justify yours and their incompetence.

Hypothesis:

Well the previous government lost 600 billion baht in the rice scheme and we have only lost 599 billion baht so we saved 1 billion baht which makes us a better government.

They didn't lose 600 billion. 100 billion went where it was supposed to and they stole the other 500 billion.

And that is as near is your argument got to reality.

How do you figure buying armoured cars to transport politicians around is incompetence ?. What a ridiculous thing to write. Thailand needs them more than most countries with the M79 wielding terrorist problem it has.

And did you see the time Abhisit dared to go up North ?. Those medieval throwbacks would have killed him if they could have got to him.

Oh - you are just ranting with any old nonsense which comes into your head whilst speckling the keyboard with flem !!!. Dang, you got me that time.

Are you trying to make an intelligent and valid point or are you once again just showing us your 12 year old intellect?

So what the soldier government boys are saying that they are now running scared frightened that someone is going to take a shot at them and they are so loved by the people who could ever dream of such a thing or even that they have to come out of the cars eventually and also go into them leaving themselves wide open for a shot by some bad foreign assassin.

I don't get why people are concerned about this? Why people are comparing to previous governments? This order is for armour plated cars, not luxury cars. To plate up a car will more than double it's weight so the idea of plating up a Honda Jazz or Civic is ridiculous. I read comments such as "these are clearly not needed" by people who seem to think sitting in their village shop getting pissed on rank beer makes them a security expert! What a load of b*ll*x. Any country has a duty of care to visiting dignitaries, could you imagine the TV outcry if an visiting president got shot whilst travelling around in Bangkok in a Toyota or something? These are not just toys, they are part of a security package.

And they have already got a couple of dozen of the bloody things, bought some 5 years ago, why do they need more?

And they have already got a couple of dozen of the bloody things, bought some 5 years ago, why do they need more?

You answered your own question Jag. Bought 5 years ago. You can't be trolleying Presidents around in 5 year old cars!

A quick check online indicated the we S600 is selling fro just over 300,000 Aus. The Australian government is leasing 16 vehicles for the G20 conference coming up. At a cost of 1.8 million Ausy. With a quick calculation on XE the Thai government price of 23-24 million Thai baht prices there vehicle costs at about 950,000 Ausy dollars each.. Looks to me as if they are paying in the region of 2-3 times the standard price for the new S600 Guard. Thought this might be of interest......

A quick check online indicated the we S600 is selling fro just over 300,000 Aus. The Australian government is leasing 16 vehicles for the G20 conference coming up. At a cost of 1.8 million Ausy. With a quick calculation on XE the Thai government price of 23-24 million Thai baht prices there vehicle costs at about 950,000 Ausy dollars each.. Looks to me as if they are paying in the region of 2-3 times the standard price for the new S600 Guard. Thought this might be of interest......

http://www.caradvice.com.au/306972/australian-government-orders-16-million-mercedes-benz-s600-guard-armoured-limos-for-g20/

The Mercedes-Benz S600 Guard is based on the forthcoming S600 expected to cost more than $300,000 new when it lands in Australia later this year. The company says the armour added to make it a Guard makes it more than three times more expensive than the regular model.

However as the S600 Guard is not made in Thailand and is an imported vehicle customs duty of 250% is added to the price plus vat @ a further 7% unless the government can override its own department.

Further to your argument, quote from your own post

The Australian government is leasing 16 vehicles for the G20 conference coming up. At a cost of 1.8 million Aus.

However they are paying $1.8M AUD and at the end of that period they will not own even 1 car. At least the Thai government will own the cars they buy.

The money they sold the Armoured Range Rovers for covers the purchase of these Mercs.

Ah, but is that money which was raised by flogging the Armoured Range Rovers

1) Still in the bank?

2) Being used to pay for the armoured Mercedes?

Is getting rid of 22 Armoured Range Rovers, (yes I know they are 5 years old, but one expects their mileage to be low, and one assumes that they will have been maintained to the highest standard), to fund 3 Mercs and a VW van a good deal?

Think again the volkswagen is almost certainly a Volkswagen auroured vehicle like you see the king riding in when he leaves the palace.

One of the best aurmored vehicles generally available and 5 million baht may buy one hubcap.

The money they sold the Armoured Range Rovers for covers the purchase of these Mercs.

1) Still in the bank?

Is getting rid of 22 Armoured Range Rovers, (yes I know they are 5 years old, but one expects their mileage to be low, and one assumes that they will have been maintained to the highest standard), to fund 3 Mercs and a VW van a good deal?

The Range Rovers have an average of 60,000 km on the odometers.

One would assume the money from the sale obviously goes into a government bank account, from which the purchase of the mercs comes from .

Unless ofcourse your are suggesting the purchase of the mercs is made from an alternate currency like fairy dust or something.

Edited by Don Mega

1) Still in the bank?

One would assume the money from the sale obviously goes into a government bank account, from which the purchase of the mercs comes from .

Unless ofcourse your are suggesting the purchase of the mercs is made from an alternate currency like fairy dust or something.

Am i may be being stupid, but how do you know:

1) How many km's are on the odometers

2) That they have even been sold?

If 22 luxury range rovers have managed 60,000 km each carrying around foreign dignitaries, they must be transparent coloured.

This really is bizarre country.

It has gone from the brink of Pheu-Thai trying to arrange mega loans to be taken off-budget, not taken to any specific spending budget and not subject to normal scrutiny right through to the Thai press micro-scrutinizing every small thing the Junta try to do.

This really is la-la land.

The big cost in all these vehicles is converting them to armoured, so where does your disproportionate 5 mill for the van figure come from???

Another factor is these vehicles will have to be purchased using Euros, US dollars or anther foreign currency, in the last year or so the Baht has lost a lot against most currencies.

Given all the weight of these vehicles I doubt they have a life expectancy of more than 2 or 3 years

Edited by Basil B

I was in the armored car industry (Iraq).

The most advanced, armored Hummvee (HMMWV) we had went for $200,000 USD.

According to my math, these puppies cost ~ $730,000 USD each.

Where is EnglishJohn?

Corruption is alive and THRIVING.

Now, if we could just get those submarines.....

Mercedes Benz S-Guard 600: $1.4 million

http://www.therichest.com/luxury/most-expensive/armored-cars/

Think they will be a really good bargain at half the list price... where's the catch?

1) Still in the bank?

Am i may be being stupid, but how do you know:

1) How many km's are on the odometers

2) That they have even been sold?

If 22 luxury range rovers have managed 60,000 km each carrying around foreign dignitaries, they must be transparent coloured.

I drink beers with the JLR service guy.

The 60k figure could well be drunken bullshite but 32km per day average is not uncommon for a lot of vehicles.

Sorry but I think it is you that has confused me with that Van------ 5million for a van and 24million for a car.I would think it would cost twice as much to armour plate a van than a much smaller vehicle like a car------- just think about itcoffee1.gif

Sorry but I think it is you that has confused me with that Van------ 5million for a van and 24million for a car.I would think it would cost twice as much to armour plate a van than a much smaller vehicle like a car------- just think about itcoffee1.gif

The van would be bespoke, the mercs are oem.

The cost price for the merc (before armor) is in the region of 300k USD... the van (what ever it is) would be no more the 40k USD.

Edited by Don Mega

The most advanced, armored Hummvee (HMMWV) we had went for $200,000 USD.

According to my math, these puppies cost ~ $730,000 USD each.

Apples and Oranges. Not even close.

The Humvee does not exactly swaddle its passengers in opulent luxury and refinement; hand tailored Nappa leather, wood trim, infinitely adjustable seats with heating air conditioning and massage, cabin fragrance systems, in-car WiFi, premium sound system with satellite radio, rain sensing windshield wipers, and everything else a top-end Mercedes has to offer. All of this is where the serious money is, not a few more kilograms of steel plating or Kevlar.

Not to mention... a stunning paint job in colors other than olive drab or chocolate chip.

However as the S600 Guard is not made in Thailand and is an imported vehicle customs duty of 250% is added to the price plus vat @ a further 7% unless the government can override its own department.

The Australian government is leasing 16 vehicles for the G20 conference coming up. At a cost of 1.8 million Aus.

However they are paying $1.8M AUD and at the end of that period they will not own even 1 car. At least the Thai government will own the cars they buy.

Firstly this isn't an argument. Just a point of interest.The Australian government has no need for a fleet of 16 armoured Mercedes. This is done as a safety precaution for the G20 summit. Otherwise they would be left with an expensive fleet that requires housing and other ongoing lifetime costs that they couldn't justify.

Further tax exemptions exisiting for the importantion of certain privileged goods by certain government departments. This includes the prime ministers office and a number of others, foreign affairs, etc. Under customers tax laws for privileged goods.