Thai motorcycle taxi fare to be standardized nationwide

webfact

Motorcycle taxi fare to be standardized nationwide

1721-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The government has announced that fares for motorcycle taxis will be standardized for the entire country.

Under the announcement by the Ministry of Transport, fares for the first 2 kilometre distance cannot exceed 25 Baht, and any distance between 2 – 5 kilometres thereafter, 5 Baht fare will be charged for every kilometre distance.

Fares of 10 Baht per kilometre are specified for distances of 5 -15 km following that.

Any distances exceeding 15 kilometres will be dependent on the negotiated price but must not exceed 150 Baht.

Ormsin Chiwapruek, the acting deputy transport minister, stated that the new rates will become effective 60 days after it is officially announced in the Royal Gazette or before the year ends.

He stated that the new fare rates were to ensure uniformity and fairness to consumers and operator alike.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/motorcycle-taxi-fare-to-be-standardised-nationwide

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-11-06

Is this an attempt to rein in police income?

In Bangkok, the daily "jacket" fee usually goes to the local police. 200 Baht per rider per day.

Or is it an attempt to push the male (mostly) population into doing some more constructive work?

Or is it just another very badly thought-out idea from those who are showing themselves incapable of providing direction for the national economy?

This is just a non-starter and so badly thought out it begets description.

Bangkok has a much higher cost of living, rents, food, school etc are all significantly higher as per capita income is higher when you compare this with places like Lopburi, Khon Kean, Nakon Ratchasima. - we know this as the government has stated in June 2015 that the current country wide minimum wage will be scrapped at the end of 2015 and a minimum wage based on cost of living in different provinces will be set accordingly for each province.

So standardizing the fair will have the most likely effect of bankrupting the Bangkok motorcycle taxi drivers who can't make enough for their families to live on. And have the same effect in other towns as the fare are too expensive.

Call me a miserable farang, but nothing annoys me more than when they splurt out some insane price for a short ride when you arrive.

I always just laugh and pay the going rate. Still, it leaves a bad taste in your mouth that they even had the audacity to try and charge so much.

In Bangkok, at least where I live, all the motorcycle stations have signs with a schedule of fares. Except for several rare instances, I've found the motorcycle drivers to be honest and helpful. Outside of Bangkok is a different story and I agree with several posts that regulation will be very difficult.

Call me a miserable farang, but nothing annoys me more than when they splurt out some insane price for a short ride when you arrive.

I always just laugh and pay the going rate. Still, it leaves a bad taste in your mouth that they even had the audacity to try and charge so much.

Tried that but got grabbed in the arm and threatened. Rather than puck a fight , I paid.

I think more and more motirbike taxis are trying to charge me double what my Thai colleagues pay.

The soi where I live is the only place I know with decent guys. They never over charge me, always have a lottle conversation with me and sometimes pick me up other places if they happen to be driving past.

Others are becoming more and more agressive in their behaviour.

Some months ago the government had the plan to mandate all motocy taxi's to wear a new vest. It should have their number and some more info.

I still haven't seen any of those. whistling.gif

In my area of Bangkok, Phayathai District, all the motorcycle drivers have the new vest with ID information and I have seen the vest in widespread use in other areas of Bangkok as well.

In Bangkok, at least where I live, all the motorcycle stations have signs with a schedule of fares. Except for several rare instances, I've found the motorcycle drivers to be honest and helpful. Outside of Bangkok is a different story and I agree with several posts that regulation will be very difficult.

I often get "Farangs pay double" or "oh after 5 pm double price".

Ok to be fair one of my Thai friends had the same experience about after 5 pm on Asoke.

One of the places I pass every day (Thong Lor boat pier) is the absolute worst place.

They have ganged up on me and all agreed to charge me much more than the shown price.

These guys are often drunk and agressive. They sit hidden away undrr the eoad and drink and gamble.

No point in complaining as the police know only too well.

I once saw a fight there between a taxi driver and one of the motorcycle guys. The cops were there and did absolutely nothing. They just stood back and watched.

Another day I heard and accident happen (didn't see it) , but turned round to see a couple of motorcycle taxi drivers drag the driver out of the car and started to hit him. The cop nearby crossed the road and walked away.

These guy have their own rules.

Ok. I have made a couple of complaining posts, but in general I agree with you. Most are friendly and honest.

It is just one or two places I know where the guys are bad. Usually the very busy places.

Some of them are OK expecially the blokes that service the Bangkok kids schools so they have to be on their best behaviour.

I rarely use them but i did take one several weeks ago and it was 15 baht for about 2km so i obviously paid Thai price.

The above news article makes no sense at all. 25 baht for a short trip on a bike? Farang,definitely yes, but this story is about Thais.

The ones that need to be avoided are those riders with a fanny pack around their waist. Those pricks have a knife or even a gun.

Alot of them are 'nahk lengs' and they often wear a black balaclava so you cant identify them.

I always pay 40baht for a less than 2km trip home, I know what the price should be and make sure they know I know that, therefore the tip of 15baht is appreciated, the fun starts if I have another passenger and they expect 80baht and I hand them 60baht lol

laugh and just give them what you want and they accept it.?

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Same S%$! - different story. I've been here 5+ years and I've never had a problem with motor taxis. That extends from On Nut to Nana. I take them infrequently..., don't ask the price..., pay a little more than what I know the fare would be when they get me there (called a "tip")..., and everyone's happy.

How soon westerners forget the exorbitant fares for public transportation in their home countries.

I never used a mototaxi since i have my own moto.

But one day i wanted to park infront of a mall where many motobikes were parked and they came to tell me i can't park there. It was their spot only.

So i moved on and never went to that mall again.

Same S%$! - different story. I've been here 5+ years and I've never had a problem with motor taxis. That extends from On Nut to Nana. I take them infrequently..., don't ask the price..., pay a little more than what I know the fare would be when they get me there (called a "tip")..., and everyone's happy.

How soon westerners forget the exorbitant fares for public transportation in their home countries.

Jesus is that you :rolleyes:

I often take a motorcycle from Soi Cowboy (@Asok) to Suk. Soi 4... 60THB for daytime, sometimes 80THB at night... going from there to Suk. Soi 22 is posted as about 30THB, and it's further!

From Soi 4 to the MRT right next to Terminal 21 is 50THB. Not sure how much Thais pay, but my fares are expensive, but I pay it because it isn't posted anywhere. They say because heavy traffic :-S

The rates up there is going to piss off a lot of motorcycle taxi drivers.

Archived