Clinton faces tough question: What to call Bill if she wins

webfact

Clinton faces tough question: What to call Bill if she wins

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Hillary Rodham Clinton is facing a question with global implications as she seeks the White House: What do you call the husband of a U.S. president?

First man? First gentleman?

Funnyman Jimmy Kimmel asked the Democratic presidential contender about that quandary if her husband, former President Bill Clinton, becomes the official White House spouse.

Appearing on "Jimmy Kimmel Live" Thursday night, she offered a couple of ideas with a smile: "first dude" and "first mate."

Clinton says, "I really have to work on this."

She adds that husband Bill has told her he's trying to break the "iron grip" that women have had on being the spouse of a president.

Kimmel wanted to know if Bill Clinton would pick out the official china pattern for the White House.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-11-06

He was formerly president for two full terms.

I'd say Bill Clinton is a special case.

Perhaps call him President Bill.

While it's true we've never had a woman president with a "first gentleman" it's also true that no president has ever been married to a previous president.

I think the latter point trumps the gender question.

Edited by Jingthing

Oddsmakers have made some changes in the contest for POTUS. There have been significant changes since R Congressman Kevin McCarthy's statements, the Ben Ghazi hearings, the third R party debate; the first D party debate.

Today's odds to be elected POTUS:

HRClinton 4-6 (60% probability)

Marco Rubio 4-1 (20% probability

Donald Trump 8-1 (11.1% probability)

Bernie Sanders 8-1

Jeb? 14-1 (6.7% probability)

Carson 16-1 (5.9%)

Some guy named Cruz: 25-1 (3.8% probability)

John Kasich 33-1 (2.9% probability)

Odds in contrast to polls change more gradually and cautiously. Figuring odds in elections and examining polls is a good idea while keeping in mind the odds have been more on than not in recent elections of POTUS, 2000 having been an off year. The oddsmakers called it for Barack Obama in 2008 and in 2004.

So anyway I'd guess if Jeb? bets against himself he'd make out well. Same for Carson who's now selling his recent book.

Mr President Hillary Bill Clinton #42? wink.png

Edited by Publicus

Those odds sound about right.

Personally, I think Trump and Kasich odds should be higher than that and Carson and Sanders lower.

I think they're spot on seeing Rubio as the biggest threat to Hillary Clinton.

Edited by Jingthing

Oddsmakers have made some changes in the contest for POTUS. There have been significant changes since R Congressman Kevin McCarthy's statements, the Ben Ghazi hearings, the third R party debate; the first D party debate.

Bernie Sanders 8-1

Carson 16-1 (5.9%)

Odds in contrast to polls change more gradually and cautiously. Figuring odds in elections and examining polls is a good idea while keeping in mind the odds have been more on than not in recent elections of POTUS, 2000 having been an off year. The oddsmakers called it for Barack Obama in 2008 and in 2004.

So anyway I'd guess if Jeb? bets against himself he'd make out well. Same for Carson who's now selling his recent book.

We are one year out from Election Day. I put as much stock in these odds as I do in viewing long range weather forecasts - that would be little or none.

Bernie Sanders 8-1

Carson 16-1 (5.9%)

We are one year out from Election Day. I put as much stock in these odds as I do in viewing long range weather forecasts - that would be little or none.

Point is of course well and easily taken as who knows what a year from now what will be the weather or the elections.

So let's look at today's Republican party weather.

hurricane-blowing-300x193.jpg

I expect he will continue to be referred to as Mr President and suspect he will have little to no involvement in Hillary's Presidency. She doesn't strike me as a leader who needs any one backing her up. Very much her own person.

I expect he will continue to be referred to as Mr President and suspect he will have little to no involvement in Hillary's Presidency. She doesn't strike me as a leader who needs any one backing her up. Very much her own person.

That makes sense.

The issue is he was a president so to call him "first gentleman" would be inappropriate and disrespectful.

If it was reversed and a male president got elected and married to a former female president (imagine!) then there is NO WAY she would be called first lady.

When talking about them in a third party it would be easy. Madam President Hillary Clinton and husband former President Bill Clinton will attend a function at so and so. But in the first person t is not so easy and is worth thinking about.

Easy with Royalty when you can say the Royal Highness Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh, or Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall, but how do you address a husband of the President who himself was a President? You can't really say Madam President and Former President as the next Woman President may not have a husband who was anything more than a car mechanic. Hum?

After we solve that problem on TV maybe we can solve the issue that since Gay Marriages are legal now, what to call a President who is a Lady Boy who is married to another man? Ms. President and her Bum Boy Charlie?

Tough question? Tough question? TOUGH QUESTION, my arse!

How about wholesale bank and Wall Street corruption? How about failed education systems and crumbling infrastructure while subsidies are paid to successful companies as tax-breaks? How about off shore bank accounts to dodge taxes? How about the failing middle class and free trade agreements that send jobs overseas and simultaneously solidify the hegemony of multinational corporations?

I HATE this Kardashian fiasco called American politics. No candidate except Sanders even approaches substance, and instead distract and wave flags for religious righteousness and the military industrial complex, argue about pointless posing and more warfare like it's inevitable. We used to be heroes, and now we are greedy bullies!

It is simply that we are causing our own problems and talking about anything else.

I actually feel sick.

Edited by FangFerang