Pai rape of British tourist sparks bar closing time crackdown in Phuket

webfact

Pai rape of British tourist sparks bar closing time crackdown in Phuket
The Phuket News

1446787392_1-org.jpg
Phuket Police Chief Col Teeraphol Thipjaroen confirmed that the crackdown will be rolled out in Phuket, but will be done so in co-ordination with 'provincial policy'. Photo: The Phuket News / file

PHUKET: -- The Phuket police chief has confirmed that a nationwide order to enforce bar and entertainment venue closing times will be enforced in Phuket in the wake of a British tourist being raped in Pai province, in Northern Thailand.

The crackdown was ordered by Royal Thai Police Deputy Commissioner Pol Gen Wutthi Phuawade after he blamed the bar trading past legal closing time, and called on local officers to be held responsible for any entertainment venues trading late throughout the country.

“Police in each jurisdiction will strictly inspect whether any entertainment establishment opens later than the legal closing time. They must strictly adhere to the closing time,” he said.

“If any jurisdiction allows any establishment to disobey the closing time, the officers in charge will be punished for negligence,” he warned.

Phuket Provincial Police Commander Col Teeraphol Thipjaroen confirmed to The Phuket News that the crackdown will be rolled out in Phuket, but will be done so in co-ordination with “provincial policy”.

“I will certainly do what the national police deputy has ordered, and enforce the closing times even within the entertainment zones,” he said.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/pai-rape-of-british-tourist-sparks-bar-closing-time-crackdown-in-phuket-54843.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-11-06

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There you go...now that bars are closing at respectable times there will instantly and forever be no more rapes.

Thank goodness the police are on the ball and have it all sussed out. Why can't we figure these things out in the west?

However, he added, “I don’t think that will solve the rape problem completely. It’s not the entertainment industry’s fault that the crime happened."

Nice to hear someone state the obvious. Granted the statement is somewhat self serving since he's in the industry. But still...

The bar was operating after hours. No matter what they decided to do now. The police will start checking closing times now but a little to late for the rape victim. Why did they not do there job sooner except sleeping in there boxes! To little to late for this young lady.

I have a little trouble with this part:

nationwide order to enforce bar and entertainment venue closing times will be enforced in Phuket

I think what is being said here is that nationwide the bars will close earlier but the closures will only be enforced in Pattaya. IOW business as usual ..everywhere.

Reading many of the derogatory comments about Thailand and Thais, I DO wonder why folks live/visit here?

On the other hand, at the Bangkok airport gate, waiting for my flight, I noted a second lineup of people going to Phuket, and frankly if I was entering a bar back home with the likes of some of the knuckle-dragging goons with the skull and crossbones T-shirts stretched over a bulging gut, I'd probably turn around....and we have NO Thai bouncers...or cops where I come from

So without talking with these people you decided they are goons (whatever that means) and you be not drinking with them. Sounds to me you have a slight problem.

A complete overreaction to what has taken place. A person is raped and the perpetrator has been caught and we hope face justice. The closing hours of the bars have nothing to do with this crime. If you want to enforce closing times- do it all the time. If you want to protect tourists from rape and other crimes- make sure there is a police presence and a deterrent such as harsh punishment. Thailand keeps shooting itself in the foot with its ridiculous statements and lack of sensitivity to these type of incidents. People are starting to vote with their feet. Too bad, it used to be a great place to visit and have some fun.

I have a little trouble with this part:

nationwide order to enforce bar and entertainment venue closing times will be enforced in Phuket

I think what is being said here is that nationwide the bars will close earlier but the closures will only be enforced in Pattaya. IOW business as usual ..everywhere.

Pattaya or Phuket? Not the same you know