METV Visa - Vientiane, Laos. It's official.

You see members posting that they decided to do it to end all of the hassle. They post it does what it says. This option is available to ANYONE so it is an easy option. If you are so committed to living here that you can not justify forking out a measly $15,000 maybe you are indeed the sort of person Thailand is trying to eliminate. I am not trying to be sanctimonious by any means but the thing people don't seem to realize is if you don't have an adequate amount of money or have it but claim to be unwilling to pay it Thailand no longer wants you. Get it?

Err... Actually there are posters who said they were quite cheesed off by elite visa.

No limo transfer as promised for one, another one also lost his passport, he was told to buy himself a visa run (sit in a smelly van for 2 days) to re-apply abroad. Not a happy chappy. So even 500K does not buy you the end of hassle.

So a few people had some problems with service. Imagine that in Thailand! He could have flew. I know that isn't ideal but why would somebody with money sit in a smelly visa run van? Anyway like it or not that is the option you have to stay here if you don't meet certain criteria for other visas. It is cheap and readily available and anybody can apply for one. I know that one day if I ever want to try Thailand again it is an option for me.

The following is not directed at you Kitsune. Obviously you can comment if you wish but I clarify that point otherwise people think everything typed is personally about them.

Many posters here are bending over backwards and getting out scientific calculators to figure out how they play the game next. The elite visa is designed for anybody in this situation. If you can not get a retirement visa work permit or marriage etc. elite is designed for people in your situation. It ends any argument about being able to afford being here and not needing to work. For those that can't afford it then it should be checkmate.

For those that won't commit for 5 years what do you have here that is so important you can not just go to another tropical country or need to be here full time? A lot of the people here used to make fun of backpackers and are now proving as difficult to get rid of. Some of the people here could do themselves a favor and leave while they are still asking nicely. If you can't commit to 5 years then you shouldn't have any assets here anyway.

It's like trying to kick a drunk out of a bar and he won't pay his bill and wants another drink.

Anyway good luck to everybody to find their work arounds to a problem that is easily fixed. It will be funny to see the angry TV mob all showing up at where ever the "easy" embassy is next. I would say I am off topic but I do not know what this thread is about anymore? Is it about the new visa regulations or how to get around them?

• Like 1

And these guys telling everyone to simply go get an elite visa,

These are the same who accuse everyone else of abusing the spirit in which the double entry and ED visas were offered.

Maybe someone should point out to you, that its called " Elite" because of the spirit in which it was offered.

Elite people who live in their own countries but travel the world over 5 years..maybe play golf in different countries, go see the American open, south of France for a week or so, fly around Asia when bored, new years eve in Monaco, visit Teerack in Thailand etc etc

Sorry to break it to you,

but by using the Elite visa to live in Pattaya, drink Chang all night and chase around ladyboys and post on TV daily...YOU are abusing the spirit in which the Thai elite visa was offered!

It gives 5 years no matter how you use it. You can even chase ladyboys on it if you like. So if you really believe the name makes somebody "elite" because they have 500K that is weird. What else should they offer the "destitute" visa?

Do you actually feel like a VIP when you ride the VIP visa bus? It is just a fricking name for God sake.

Now offering the Destitute visa. "Thailand where Destitution is the Destination" Available at any internet cafe nationwide.

Edited by anotheruser

I for one truely feel sorry for the under 50,s that came to los and followed the rules. Visa exempt,tourist visas etc. During that time here have made friends also maybe in a relatiinship etc. Now its al changed. Easy for me to not care as currently can stay here basically forever.. i wonder how people like myself on non imm o based on retirement might feel if rules changed. I seriously am sadbout folk that this has effected. Please dont talk anout genuine tourists . If thailand was so stupid or desperate to allow past legal methods of living here....then do a backflip. I love thailand but they do the most stupid things.

Your friends may have been "legal" to the letter of the law but not to the spirit of the law which provided tourist visas

not cheap residency visas !

Tourists come, see, enjoy and then go home as many of your friends may now have to do.

Not forgetting people on retirement Visas , who still have business interests back home and therefore are still officially not retired ,

People who rent out their property back home , should not get a retirement visa, because its flouting the regulations

I for one truely feel sorry for the under 50,s that came to los and followed the rules. Visa exempt,tourist visas etc. During that time here have made friends also maybe in a relatiinship etc. Now its al changed. Easy for me to not care as currently can stay here basically forever.. i wonder how people like myself on non imm o based on retirement might feel if rules changed. I seriously am sadbout folk that this has effected. Please dont talk anout genuine tourists . If thailand was so stupid or desperate to allow past legal methods of living here....then do a backflip. I love thailand but they do the most stupid things.

Your friends may have been "legal" to the letter of the law but not to the spirit of the law which provided tourist visas

not cheap residency visas !

Tourists come, see, enjoy and then go home as many of your friends may now have to do.

Not forgetting people on retirement Visas , who still have business interests back home and therefore are still officially not retired ,

People who rent out their property back home , should not get a retirement visa, because its flouting the regulations

" People who rent out their property back home , should not get a retirement visa, because its flouting the regulations"

Which regulations are being "flouted"

Precise details and links to the "regulations" please

" People who rent out their property back home , should not get a retirement visa, because its flouting the regulations"

Retirement means , well retired from work . Stopped working, retired .

Being a landlord IS working , you are running a business .

If you are running a business, you are not retired and therefore are abusing the Visa system by claiming that you are retired and no longer working

If you are running a business, you are not retired and therefore are abusing the Visa system by claiming that you are retired and no longer working

Why have not provided a link to the regulations you claim are being abused?

The only requirement needed to apply for an O/Visa is to be over 50 and an extension of stay based on retirement has similar requirements. No one is expected to affirm they are "retired" and it is entirely legal to continue "working" outside Thailand whilst "retired"

anotheruser, You don't get the point. Many, like myself would pay 100k for a Year. But for 5 Years? My plans can change. The Government can change, the stability of this country and many other variables.

100k is no money. But i wouldn't pay that for 5 Years in advance.

...This is a very very low amount of money to shell out to be a foreign resident. Try Malaysia and see how much they ask to reside there. They have set the bar very low in Thailand.

But the deal isn't for permanent residency. If it was - yes - it would be a great offer. It is just a 5-year pass, then "poof" - you are back to TVs (if still under 50 and/or the laws for over 50s haven't since excluded you).

Edit - correction, there is a 20-year offer, too - but still not a permanent solution, as even a 30 year-old doesn't know what the 50+ rules will be in the future. Could get all set up, then nowhere to go.

Okay, for the people that seem to fail to understand... you pay the money for 5 years, no country gives out permanent residency for 500K. If you are unwilling or unable to buy this visa and do not qualify for any other visa you simply are not welcome in Thailand. What is so hard for people to understand about this? People think they can haggle like they are buying flip flops at the market. 5 years for 500K is a bargain. Again this is about as low as you could possibly set the bar on this one.

For people saying they do not want to commit to 5 years, maybe part of the reason for making that the minimum is to affirm the people that buy it are committed to the country. By the time people do all their visa hops and going back and forth, assuming you stay in a reasonable hotel and now more than likely have to fly there isn't a great difference in what you are paying.

You see members posting that they decided to do it to end all of the hassle. They post it does what it says. This option is available to ANYONE so it is an easy option. If you are so committed to living here that you can not justify forking out a measly $15,000 maybe you are indeed the sort of person Thailand is trying to eliminate. I am not trying to be sanctimonious by any means but the thing people don't seem to realize is if you don't have an adequate amount of money or have it but claim to be unwilling to pay it Thailand no longer wants you. Get it?

Wrong again.

Sorry, but you are just full of fail.

Canada gives you permanent residency for 17k CAD$ (per head... less than 500,000 THB) if you are self sponsored.

Heck, they don't even take your money, it is just the amount required as a safety net..... yours to spend.

As for commitment, most people are correct to point out that it is a dangerous and costly commitment to make.

Of course, people who took the risk early on are reaping the rewards (in their opinion), but TE already broke commitments when they first released the visa.

People are aware that validity of contracts in a third world.... sorry, developing nation are non existent.

Yet, here you are lecturing everyone!

• Like 2

stoicccc

I think 2-3 entries will not be a problem.

totally thaied up

Absolute no speculations at all but the infos comes in part from our CEO, MFA and TAT.

You will be surprised how much the Thai government (both MFA and TAT) is interacting with inbound operators and airlines as we are always effected first on any regulation changes and the Thais want to clear their back to not have another Erawan Shrine bombing. That's why I keep saying all those regulations is not against the farangs but Thailand now wants to be on par with the rest of the world (Asia).

that is nonsense. If they want to be on par with neighbours, they would have to give 90-day-Visa-exempt stamps like Malaysia does

anotheruser, You don't get the point. Many, like myself would pay 100k for a Year. But for 5 Years? My plans can change. The Government can change, the stability of this country and many other variables.

100k is no money. But i wouldn't pay that for 5 Years in advance.

Try Malaysia and see how much they ask to reside there. They have set the bar very low in Thailand.

Actually, if Thailand would introduce a program like MM2H, i would sing up in a second.

Much better value than the Elite Visa, by far.

By the time people do all their visa hops and going back and forth, assuming you stay in a reasonable hotel and now more than likely have to fly there isn't a great difference in what you are paying.

I did spent three years on Visa exempt stamps .

There and back in a day , just needed to pay for a bus and 300 Baht for the Myanmar Visa

I quite often bought counterfeit goods back with me to fund the trip .

Three years staying for free or the Elite Visa would have cost 300 000 Baht for that duration

That is quite a big difference

• Like 1

Yes, TE Visa is a easy way out but I have only a few years to go till I am 50 and I did not get independently wealthy burning money.

Then who is to say they may raise the age to 55 and then what do you do then?

Nothing is set in concrete here and the new games they are now playing with the METV just proves that.

I have since found out it would be cheaper to sponsor my partner to come back with me to Australia then to go down the elite route and there is a lot more benefit in that for the both of us. I could even locate to another friendly country with my partner just for a few years and it still would be of more benefit then a elite visa due to experiences gained and the fun had in a new area while you explore that region.

For me, it is not about the 'money' but more about 'trust'. The elite system could change in a moments notice or the Government may change retirement rules shortly.

Who really knows....

Until I can see clearly in what direction everyone decides to take, I am going to sit on the fence and by not spending AUD$20,000 that I would burn on a Visa just allows me to do that for quite a long time. Thailand is not the be all and end all for me and the only reason I am staying here is because of my partner but people can relocate easily and there are many other exciting places to visit in this world.

Edited by totally thaied up

Having rental incomes or indeed income streams is not "running a business"

Any income received is a business .

A pension is not money received, because its already your money .

Signing tenancy agreements, collecting rent and carrying out repairs IS working and therefore its a business and people not retired shouldnt be on a retirement Visa .

Signing tenancy agreements, collecting rent and carrying out repairs IS working and therefore its a business and people not retired shouldnt be on a retirement Visa .

So, everyone that is sitting over here retired that looks at there share portfolio every day and buys and sells to fund there existence (like everyone in the world does), even if you are still on a pension, should not be on a retirement extension....

Best post of the day.... lol

Edited by totally thaied up
  • Like 1

Luke go talk to your accountant. He will use big words and things like ABN and Pay as you go taxation and even explain what running a business means.

However has very little to do with METV.

NOR does an non o based on retirement. BTW no such thing as retirement visa.

So, everyone that is sitting over here retired that looks at there share portfolio every day and buys and sells to fund there existence (like everyone in the world does), even if you are still on a pension, should not be on a retirement extension....

Best post of the day.... lol

One way to qualify for an extension of stay based upon 'Retirement' according to Police Order 327/2557 is that one

"Must have evidence of having income of no less than Baht 65,000 per month"

• Like 1

Comical. the posts on Thai Visa get funnier every day

anyway I thought Laos is in ASEAN and they dont need visas at all? what im missing here?

Laotians only get a 30 day visa exempt entry based upon a bilateral agreement. For longer stays they need a visa.

ASEAN in not the EU. There is no freedom of movement agreement.

• Like 2

Okay, for the people that seem to fail to understand... you pay the money for 5 years, no country gives out permanent residency for 500K. If you are unwilling or unable to buy this visa and do not qualify for any other visa you simply are not welcome in Thailand. What is so hard for people to understand about this? People think they can haggle like they are buying flip flops at the market. 5 years for 500K is a bargain. Again this is about as low as you could possibly set the bar on this one.

For people saying they do not want to commit to 5 years, maybe part of the reason for making that the minimum is to affirm the people that buy it are committed to the country. By the time people do all their visa hops and going back and forth, assuming you stay in a reasonable hotel and now more than likely have to fly there isn't a great difference in what you are paying.

Argument is a bit flawed. Say Person A pays for TE then lives a very frugal existence because he could afford it but it was most of his savings gone in a lump sum. That 500k goes into the coffers of one company. Essentially the government.

Person B spends 70k baht a month, having an economic impact across the board, creating more jobs for people. He's able to do this because he hasn't paid a large sunken cost up front.

Finances are a lot easier when things are spread out into increments (the basis of the billion dollar credit card industry) while you're simultaneously earning money and letting money work for you.

Saying TE works out as a certain yearly or monthly cost (the most fashionable one to post for hyperbole is 295 baht/day) isn't really accurate.

Quite so, by following up on late rent payment from Thailand (according to some here on TV) you will be working without a work permit.

Retirement extensions are intended purely for people who have all their life savings in cash in bank (remember, managing investments would be a no-no).

Of course, it is just possible that immigration/labor department might exhibit a modicum of pragmatism and common sense unlike some groups here on TV.

Why nobody speaks abput the ED Visa? I never applied for one. So it could be just another option.

Easy.

Find a school pay the fees to get the paperwork needed to obtain a single entry 90 day Ed visa.

Extensions to the visa are dependent on meeting the visas requirements which include attending classes.

anotheruser, i have 500k. I could buy 10 x this Visa. I explained already why i wouldn't. It seems, you and others believe that all the visa runners are cheap poor charlies. Money is not the problem. You and many others assume that people who don't want spend 500k for the visa, can't effort it. That's just wrong. It was you who calculate how much the visa costs per day. Who cares?

It really doesn't matter if I think you are a cheap Charlie or not. It seems that Thai immigration does however. Maybe you can tell them you are just simply unwilling to purchase the relevant visa.

Go on and tell them your story. At the end when they come to the conclusion you can't or will not get the appropriate visa to stay, they may ask you why you are living here? You don't WANT to spend the 500K well I think they are beginning to say it isn't optional. You can get a visa of you want to stay. If not move on. It is pretty simple.

anotheruser, i have 500k. I could buy 10 x this Visa. I explained already why i wouldn't. It seems, you and others believe that all the visa runners are cheap poor charlies. Money is not the problem. You and many others assume that people who don't want spend 500k for the visa, can't effort it. That's just wrong. It was you who calculate how much the visa costs per day. Who cares?

It really doesn't matter if I think you are a cheap Charlie or not.

That's right. It doesn't matter. It even doesn't matter what you think about what Thai immigration think.