The Russians are coming back to Pattaya?

dabhand

Latest news from Egypt, after the Russian plane crash in the Sinai, is that Putin has in the process of suspending all Russian flights to Egypt.

Currently, there are 45,000 on holiday in Sharm el Sheikh and they are making plans to return them back to Russia asap.

Obviously there will be many tens of thousands of Russians who had booked to fly out to Egypt in the coming weeks and months. That will not be possible, certainly in the short-term.

So, any guesses as to how many might be switching back to Thailand, and likely Pattaya, for their winter sun? There may be cause for some dancing in the streets of Pattaya by the owners of businesses that target the Russian tourists. For the rest...oh no!!

Obviously a very sad event for those who lost family and friends in the crash.

Edited by dabhand

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Russians will come back as soon as the "Ruble" recovers. It;s a currency exchange matter. In the meantime, all the massage parlors that have changed their advertising from "Thai Massage" to :"MACCAX" have been betting on the wrong horse.

Cheers.

We'll get Russians this season.

Many already here.

Clearly not nearly as many as previous recent years.

How to measure how many because of Egypt?

Maybe there will be news about this from the travel industry. Maybe there won't be.

Taking it from previous posts from you, you have traveled S/E Asia extensively. Good for you.

Why is it that Russian Tourists (or Investors) have accumulated such a negative image of themselves in such a relatively short period of time ?

Thailand is a truly cosmopolitan turf. All nations of the world congregate here.

Only problem is: It seems,nobody likes Russians, And Russians don't like the rest of the word That may well be the root of the problem.

Cheers.

Many already here.

Maybe there will be news about this from the travel industry. Maybe there won't be.

Taking it from previous posts from you, you have traveled S/E Asia extensively. Good for you.

Why is it that Russian Tourists (or Investors) have accumulated such a negative image of themselves in such a relatively short period of time ?

Thailand is a truly cosmopolitan turf. All nations of the world congregate here.

Only problem is: It seems,nobody likes Russians, And Russians don't like the rest of the word That may well be the root of the problem.

Cheers.

just the effects of coldwar propaganda I think, most Thai probably couldnt tell the difference, and as a non US westerner they seem no different to any other eastern european to me

Edited by phycokiller

Many already here.

Cheers.

just the effects of coldwar propaganda I think, most Thai probably couldnt tell the difference, and as a non US westerner they seem no different to any other eastern european to me

It is always dangerous to indulge in stereotyping.

However, having lived and worked in Moscow I can tell you that Russia has many delightful, well educated citizens who would never consider holidaying in a place like Pattaya.

Pattaya attracts some distinctly unsavory people from the West and Russia.

Cozy Beach is their hangout and the other day, the place was deadsville. Oh, and that beautiful green area overlooking the beach has been bulldozed.annoyed.gif

Many, many shops have closed and some that were open had attractive Russian ladies pulling in guests to the restaurants. They were out there in the street begging.

Will the surviving shops on Russian Hill make it thru the winter season I am wondering?

Absolutely not. if they had the money and want to go to TH so they would have done. Egypt is worse for some of them. strong alcohol is banned and women just only domestic-russians...

Only return ticket to Thailand cost so much that the entire stay in Egypt.

Egypt is for them relatively cheap and without problems from the long flight to Thailand, English skills. traveling to Egypt, especially families and women. who like complete all inclusive...-iq 75-tourism-)). Egypt is the last 15 years also full of Eastern Europeans. The reasons are the same a lot of junk food for not much money. Brain less culture......biggrin.png

Edited by Bear78

There are definitely more Easties about than there was a few months ago.

They are not in huge numbers but noticeably more and I guess as it gets colder in Europe and closer to Xmas their numbers will increase.

I vote for more Eastie young women nice eye candy.

Even the Russians can't tell the difference. A lot of Russians have asked me for directions in Russian.

As long as they don't start too many golf tours!. The problem is often the language. To many it seems very gutteral and often gives a wrong impression - we had the same in the 70's with Germans, who are mainly delightful people.

I wonder what Englsih sounds like to Russians?.

There are definitely more Easties about than there was a few months ago.

They are not in huge numbers but noticeably more and I guess as it gets colder in Europe and closer to Xmas their numbers will increase.

I vote for more Eastie young women nice eye candy.

No, they are Farang, and the Thai woman are much more prettier.

The Russians will come back as soon as the "Ruble" recovers. It;s a currency exchange matter. In the meantime, all the massage parlors that have changed their advertising from "Thai Massage" to :"MACCAX" have been betting on the wrong horse.

Cheers.

They should change their advertising now to 按摩

As long as they don't start too many golf tours!. The problem is often the language. To many it seems very gutteral and often gives a wrong impression - we had the same in the 70's with Germans, who are mainly delightful people.

I wonder what Englsih sounds like to Russians?.

Like an angels voice!!!!!!!!

I must admit I'm looking forward to my favorite part of the Russian invasion.

Sitting on some Russkies on baht buses when three of them stretch out taking up the space of five or six and then failing to make any space when I board.

So just sit on them!

The shocking looks are priceless.

I do highly recommend.

So far none have punched me out ... but maybe check the Pattaya "press" for updates.

Edited by Jingthing

First came across Russians a few years back in Sharm - rude and arrogant. Then came across them in Thailand, they have not changed. Thais say same about Chinese and Russians.

I think problem stems from both nations previous lack of travel and therefore lack of miggling with other nationalities, they just dont have manners and dont know how to be polite at all !!!

Many already here.

Cheers.

However, having lived and worked in Moscow I can tell you that Russia has many delightful, well educated citizens who would never consider holidaying in a place like Pattaya.

Last year in Samui I had a couple of Russians neighbours, extremely well educated, always smiling, with a real sense of humour, their little girl round 10 years old already speaking a good English and certainly more polite than many Western children.

Last month my neighbours were an English man with his Thai wife and 3 teenagers. They left the house last week, then we discovered one month of garbage stockpiled under the house, even thought the garbage collection is 300 meters away, really hard to believe.

So I do not know if it's dangerous to indulge in stereotyping but it is stupid for sure smile.png

only because they have a different attitude to people who complain about it.

For all the business owners out there i hope they come back , along with many western tourists

They will be using Goa now more than before,why they ever came here at all surprises me

I haven't been there, but rumour is it is less expensive, as is Indonesia - Any comments/experience?

Many already here.

Cheers.

"Pattaya attracts some distinctly unsavory people from the West and Russia.".

Using that logic, I suppose one could say the same about this forum, however flawed.

My contact with Russians in Pattaya has been the same as my dealings with non-Russians. Most people I've met are nice, peaceful and are here to enjoy their time away from work. I avoid the "unsavory" people, regardless of their nationality, ethnicity or flavor.

Living here full-time, I hope the tourist numbers remain stable, otherwise many honest, working people are going to have a rough time.