Advice on visa now double-entry tourist visa is gone

Sell one of your rental properties and buy an Elite card with the equity. If your properties are mortaged you are soon going to be getting a lot less income when the tax relieve on mortgage payments ends so probably wont be in a position to stay here or anywhere else. Just a bit of forward thinking.

Good ideal but I have no plans to sell yet maybe never

Also when I hered about that new tax law I looked into it and I don't think it will effect me,i can't remember why it might be because I am on interest only morgatge's, or that I don't make much money any way, I am more worried about intrest rates going up, or i herd that if you become a non resident you will loose your tax free allowance which i herd old Gorge Osborne is talking about in the future

Maybe I will be going home anyway because of the above, if that happens I will just get a bed sit work for six months and come back on a METV

then maybe keep doing that for a few years

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Once the rules come into effect, you will only be able to deduct mortgage interest from your taxable earnings if you hold your properties in a company. Individual tax allowances will be withdrawn, so from what you are saying, you will be affected. Whether you are interest only or repayment is irrelevant. Whether you make any profit at all will depend on how much profit you make after both tax and mortgage payments, as you will be taxed on your income less only repairs and maintenance, which tends to be fractional compared to most people's mortgage payments.

If you register as a non-resident, you lose your personal allowances for that tax year. This already is in place.

This is a little bit of good news for me

Interest rates rise ruled out for foreseeable future - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34739307

Once the rules come into effect, you will only be able to deduct mortgage interest from your taxable earnings if you hold your properties in a company. Individual tax allowances will be withdrawn, so from what you are saying, you will be affected. Whether you are interest only or repayment is irrelevant. Whether you make any profit at all will depend on how much profit you make after both tax and mortgage payments, as you will be taxed on your income less only repairs and maintenance, which tends to be fractional compared to most people's mortgage payments.

If you register as a non-resident, you lose your personal allowances for that tax year. This already is in place.

Interest rates rise ruled out for foreseeable future - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34739307

Just get married and get a Non O visa, live in a small rural village in Isaan, watch the buffalo go by and wake up everyday at 5am to the sound of tractors and cockerels! After 7 days you will hate it, leave for BKK and you have a Non O visa, of course you must leave the wife behind, but remember to keep your copy of the marriage certificate for future Non O visas. Does sound a good plan or what?

• Like 1

Just get married and get a Non O visa, live in a small rural village in Isaan, watch the buffalo go by and wake up everyday at 5am to the sound of tractors and cockerels! After 7 days you will hate it, leave for BKK and you have a Non O visa, of course you must leave the wife behind, but remember to keep your copy of the marriage certificate for future Non O visas. Does sound a good plan or what?

Yes unless the inlaws kill me

Not every plan is fullproof! Do it on the cheap in BKK, don't cost anything to get married, didn't cost anything to get divorced either, apart from the MRT fare and a couple of pints in Silom Road.

Investment Visa, stick 10MillionTHB in the bank & when you're ready to leave take it with you [emoji106]

That would be one of the stupidest things to do imo. Who in their right mind would keep a sh*t load of cash or any assets in Thailand? An absolutely pathetic return on your cash & the potential of them one day deciding to take foreigners cash for themselves.

Keep everything in your home country & take pockete money here when you need it.

Keep playmoney here, I agree.

But returns are often better than the West. Have been for some time.

Not every plan is fullproof! Do it on the cheap in BKK, don't cost anything to get married, didn't cost anything to get divorced either, apart from the MRT fare and a couple of pints in Silom Road.

Wait are you saying get married then get divorced but keep the paper work for future visas applications

Haha good plan but not for me

But gold star for thinking out side the box

Think i would rather go to Cambodia haha

Edited by juice777

Wait are you saying get married then get divorced but keep the paper work for future visas applications

I did think of doing that, but she took my marriage certificate off me and kept hers too, b*tch! I have got a photocopy and a jpg on my laptop, not sure if the UK Thai embassy or consulates in the region will checkfacepalm.gif

I did think of doing that, but she took my marriage certificate off me and kept hers too, b*tch! I have got a photocopy and a jpg on my laptop, not sure if the UK Thai embassy or consulates in the region will checkfacepalm.gif

Sounds dodgy you could get black listed or something

Sell one of your rental properties and buy an Elite card with the equity. If your properties are mortaged you are soon going to be getting a lot less income when the tax relieve on mortgage payments ends so probably wont be in a position to stay here or anywhere else. Just a bit of forward thinking.

Good ideal but I have no plans to sell yet maybe never

Also when I hered about that new tax law I looked into it and I don't think it will effect me,i can't remember why it might be because I am on interest only morgatge's, or that I don't make much money any way, I am more worried about intrest rates going up, or i herd that if you become a non resident you will loose your tax free allowance which i herd old Gorge Osborne is talking about in the future

Maybe I will be going home anyway because of the above, if that happens I will just get a bed sit work for six months and come back on a METV

then maybe keep doing that for a few years

The last statement is wrong.....I thought that I had deleted it actually, as I posted in its place an article from the Telegraph which clarifies the same..anyway, maybe you can't delete stuff once posted or something as I can't manage to do it sorry so please just ignore this and stop replying to it....

• Like 1

orrible advice

That might work for the 1st year, but what happens when immigration wants your wife to accompany you for the extension, wants to see pictures of you together in the "Matrimonial Home" or even want to come visit for a cup of tea.

Edited by JB300

That might work for the 1st year, but what happens when immigration wants your wife to accompany you for the extension, wants to see pictures of you together in the "Matrimonial Home" or even want to come visit for a cup of tea

It's not fullproof I know, probably best to get a SETV or METV if possible.

Just get married and get a Non O visa, live in a small rural village in Isaan, watch the buffalo go by and wake up everyday at 5am to the sound of tractors and cockerels! After 7 days you will hate it, leave for BKK and you have a Non O visa, of course you must leave the wife behind, but remember to keep your copy of the marriage certificate for future Non O visas. Does sound a good plan or what? ...

Sounds dodgy you could get black listed or something

Not only black listed, but other criminal charges prior. Some foreigner got caught trying to rob a bank recently, because he ran out of money and wanted to stay here. He will get to stay in Thailand a very long time, now - but perhaps not in the accomodations he had envisioned.

The unscrupulous will (likely do) simply have a marriage of convenience, then pay the gal a stipend to "stay married" - which would include making appearences, the whisky-fund for the neighbors to go along, etc.

Does anyone really think the "bad guys" were diligently making runs to Laos for visas, to stay within the bounds of the law? Only those of us decent-folks, with mores and morals, are forced to utilize the diminishing legal options to stay in Thailand.

DETV = Double Entry Tourist Visa

TETV = Triple Entry Tourist Visa

SETV = Single Entry Tourist Visa

METV = Multi Entry Tourist Visa

DETV and TETV are being phased out on 13.11.15 to be replaced by SETV and METV (the latter only realistically being available from your country of residence/nationality)

There is no DETV and no TETV. Only SETV and METV are officially used acronyms, ie used by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and by Thai embassies and consulates.

We should not make up rogue acronyms and use them in our posts, because this would make the posts incomprehensible and thus irrelevant, subject to removal under forum rule 9.

I have corrected the topic title accordingly.

• Like 1

I have got two SETV and five 30-day stamps from Thailand in my passpprt (this year) Just arrived to DMK and got one more 30-day stamp without any problems or questions.

What is your VisaExempt history from previous years?

I ask because some seem to getting pulled aside for "having 6 visa-exempts," even when some of those are from years prior. I am not sure if it is a rolling 12-mo rule, or how they calcuate this.

I also realize that being questioned does not mean one will be refused, but I would like to stay on their "green" list.

I have new passport since last year but I have been to TH once on visa exemption in 2014 (Jan) with previous passport. I would like to know how they calculate this as well. After this month I have a plan to go to Vientiane to get SETV, so this year I won't stay here on visa exemption anymore. Probably I will after new year. Gonna know then..

Is the Elite card out of financial reach?

I would think that 500.000 Baht every five years would be out of financial reach for the vast majority of under fifties.

Especially when there is no return for it.

at the current exchange rate, the cost is less than 3,000 USD a year. Not an inconsequential amount, but iIf it is out of reach, then the person is barely getting by if he can't cover that much.

I would think that 500.000 Baht every five years would be out of financial reach for the vast majority of under fifties.

at the current exchange rate, the cost is less than 3,000 USD a year. Not an inconsequential amount, but iIf it is out of reach, then the person is barely getting by if he can't cover that much.

X5

That is rubbish, different people have different lifestyles, this topic is about the underfifties who want to live here, mostly on money the get regularly from their home country.

100.000 Bt per year to pay out for just living in a country before you even start contributing to it's economy. I think it's ridiculous, and only the very rich could afford it.

• Like 1

That is rubbish, different people have different lifestyles, this topic is about the underfifties who want to live here, mostly on money the get regularly from their home country.

100.000 Bt per year to pay out for just living in a country before you even start contributing to it's economy. I think it's ridiculous, and only the very rich could afford it.

Yes spot on there my friend

And 5 years to long one year maybe

You could buy it and anything could happen after one year you could change you're plans or die even

And with the red shirts and yellow shirts there could even be a civil war one day

Then what good is a elite visa then

• Like 1