Downloading brought to a standstill

LALes

THis has happened before. Usually on a weekend, the whole downloading world comes to a grinding halt.

I cannot get anything with UTorrent. The speed is non-existent. Something is blocking any downloads via

UTorrent. The govt? Happened a few months ago in BKK and now in Jomtien. Has nothing to do with

specific carrier (ISP) either. Just an across-the-board shutdown.

Weekends is when people use the internet during the daytime hours and with smart TV the young are taking full advantage to watch there video programming via the internet. Expect you just do not have that much bandwidth. FYI I am getting full speed downloads here in Bangkok but have lowered by bandwidth to allow others access.

When this happens switch off the router for half a minute or so and then reconnect. Problem will be solved.

This happens to me on occasion and I think it has something to do with how long you have been connected - but inactive. It seems to 'retire' your connection at a peak demand time and use your allocated bandwidth.

I may be talking absolute parc here but it seems to work for me. laugh.png

Just doing some test file download:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/download/

About 6 to 7 MBit/s.

Not lightning fast but far from standstill.

Would not be surprised if they throttle torrents massively.

Is it still true that there video formats downloaded that need 10 GB for an average movie?

Crazy.

Not crazy at all. Under normal circumstances 8+ GB movies would be FullHD (1920x1080). If you have a large screen HD or 4K TV you want/need a quality rip. Yes crazy if you are just watching on your computer or tablet.

When this happens switch off the router for half a minute or so and then reconnect. Problem will be solved.

This happens to me on occasion and I think it has something to do with how long you have been connected - but inactive. It seems to 'retire' your connection at a peak demand time and use your allocated bandwidth.

I may be talking absolute parc here but it seems to work for me. laugh.png

^^^ Works for me too but I can't tell you why.

Probably a NAT thing.

Exceeding max number sessions per host, NAT session table becomes full.

I've always had True internet and always used UTorrent to download. After the army took over, my favourite news site was blocked and I noticed downloading wasn't as quick as before. I started using a VPN and for some reason, torrenting speeds improved, no idea what's going on there. I bought 12vpn, only $50 per year and you can use it on unlimited devices with just one subscription. Right now, I have it on my laptop (Chrome extension), smart phone and tablet (using Open Connect app). The 12vpn chrome extension just auto-detects the best server so I think this is why torrenting is better.

I used hide.me VPN to Hong Kong last weekend when as you say it grinds to a halt and I got a staggering 6MB/s

I fail to understand how a VPN can give you a faster speed, since that VPN is located outside the country, so you still need to go through the same gateway to get outside.

I used hide.me VPN to Hong Kong last weekend when as you say it grinds to a halt and I got a staggering 6MB/s

I fail to understand how a VPN can give you a faster speed, since that VPN is located outside the country, so you still need to go through the same gateway to get outside.

They cant inspect the traffic and throttle it based on being torrent traffic..

Well they can, because it has to enter Thailand though the same gateway, and it doesn't matter from which IP it is received if they can check the content or not.

At least that is how i understand it.

Well they can, because it has to enter Thailand though the same gateway, and it doesn't matter from which IP it is received if they can check the content or not.

At least that is how i understand it.

They only see encrypted data on VPN channels (ports) and have no idea what it contains.

I may be talking absolute parc here but it seems to work for me.

Probably a NAT thing.

Just out of curiosity, does the ISP network assign me a new IP address when I turn the router back on? My inkling is they track my usage (especially torrents?) to my IP address and I start with a clean slate when I get a new IP address. But that's just a guess. Still- cycling the router off then on often works for me, too.

I'll have to Google the NAT table thing.

I may be talking absolute parc here but it seems to work for me.

Probably a NAT thing.

Just out of curiosity, does the ISP network assign me a new IP address when I turn the router back on? My inkling is they track my usage (especially torrents?) to my IP address and I start with a clean slate when I get a new IP address. But that's just a guess. Still- cycling the router off then on often works for me, too.

I'll have to Google the NAT table thing.

Whether your ISP re-assigns your router the previous DHCP requested IP Address or issues a new one is dependent on how their authentication servers are set up, and how close the original IP Address lease time was to expiring. People using True DOCSIS Modems seem to always get the same address no matter how often they power-cycle off/on their equipment.

Many ISPs will log what IP Addresses are being assigned to which routers, so they always know what IP address your account has used and when.

If they want they can specifically monitor your account and watch for activity, even possibly imposing selective traffic shaping. If you're not using a VPN then the ISP can see all the IP Addresses over what Ports you're connecting or allowing connections with and pretty easily surmise your torrenting. When using a VPN the ISP will only see the (usually) single IP Address and the amount of data being conveyed. Some people have complained that their Thai ISP has cancelled their accounts because they suspected they were torrenting over a VPN, while other ISPs don't seem to care.

Some people have complained that their Thai ISP has cancelled their accounts because they suspected they were torrenting over a VPN, while other ISPs don't seem to care.

Maybe we will come to an end of the unlimited flat rate.

"fair use" is the keyword.

In Germany the biggest ISP has started that a while ago under protest.

If I remember right the cheapest "fair use flat rate" is 75 GB per month.

You can still get unlimited but for a price.