SURVEY: Do you believe the crackdown on mafia figures will be effective?

Scott

SURVEY: Do you believe the government crackdown on mafia figures will be effective?  

256 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I believe they will go after some smaller guys, without alot of power, wealth and influence. They will not touch the bigger boys, like the despicable Headman of Had Rin on Dark Tao. He is absolutely, positively, without a doubt above the law. Any and all laws. Many are. And THEY will not be touched.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The present Junta has done OK on this and I hope this continues to be worked on.

I'm not aware of any action taken against mafia figures by the present junta.

Seriously, can you (or anyone) give me a few examples?

Edited by Dap

Brave words and fighting talk is the mark of Thai governments with talk the operative word.

The present govt can promise all they want about crackdowns etc but were in power only days when it was made clear that certain peoples' wealth etc was off limits so where's the fair, across the board enforcement to come from ?

Everything here is very selective and for reasons not in the public interest.

Brave words and fighting talk is the mark of Thai governments with talk the operative word.

The present govt can promise all they want about crackdowns etc but were in power only days when it was made clear that certain peoples' wealth etc was off limits so where's the fair, across the board enforcement to come from ?

Everything here is very selective and for reasons not in the public interest.

Since taking power the junta have done some silly things. Counter-productive things. But, none have come close to the junta heads declaration that no investigation must be made into their unaccountable wealth. From that second on-wards, the junta have lost all legitimacy to "clean up" Thai politics. It was the political version of somebody dressed as Liberace walking into a crowded biker bar, just stunned silence, but it certainly got every ones attention and will not be forgotten in a hurry.

It is beyond me how people can think this lot have tackled corruption, bribery, extortion etc.

Because they cleared a few jet ski operators?

You've girl more chance of finding one of H G Wells' men on the moon than this lot doing anything.

Why?

1-They are too frightened.

2- have a guess

It is just re-aligning who collects the money.

True..........already happened here with the military demanding "Tea money" from a large entertainment venue so that they have "protection" and can stay open later.

Same trough, different snouts and it will never change because it is ingrained in Thai culture.

Singapore seems to be able to do what others cannot.

The government in Singapore is run by serious people who are able to see the bigger picture, something Thailand has never enjoyed. There must be a willingness to stamp out the gravy train mentality and punish very well connected people, the police, plus many ministers, governors and mayors, and army officials. Otherwise, it is all talk and no action. And that makes the general a very dull boy indeed.

Window dressing might get draped in response to some momentary outrage now & then, and it's true that the current government might've made some progress at the margin in comparison with its predecessor, but in general the corruption culture simply isn't compatible with the sustained effort and necessary resolve to really do something about the mafia(s). By now, mafia figures are used to ducking back behind their rocks whenever these "crackdowns" are announced. They keep a slightly lower profile for awhile and then go right back to business as usual. WAY too much money involved and a tolerant mindset far too widespread for anyone in authority to even seriously WANT to do anything. I don't think most average Thais even see this as a priority.

Edited by hawker9000