Questions from a digital nomad

So I'm part of the group of people you would call digital nomads and the recent changes have a pretty big impact on me. What I have been doing up until now is simply entering Thailand on triple entry visas and flying down to Australia to get a new one when needed. This has been working out well for me as I generally need to go down there once or twice a year anyway. I also go to Singapore or Hong Kong every 2 or 3 months, so the border hopping has not been inconvienient. I've never actually got a visa in Laos or anywhere else in Asia, so I have no experience in Laos or elsewhere. I do know about the Elite Visa, and the massive one-time cost of it, but I'd really prefer to avoid that giant expense since my long term plans are not to stay in Thailand. So my questions are as follows:

1) Does anyone know the limit of single entry visas one can obtain in a single passport without having problems? I have no issue going to different countries to get them every 3 months, but I can't imagine I'll be allowed unlimited?

2) Is there any new enforcement of a maximum of 6 months (or any amount) in the country as a tourist? So far I've never once been questioned (on anything), even though in total I've been spending about 10 months a year in the country.

3) As I am a dual Canadian-British citizen, is it all conceivable that I could send my British passport home to the UK whilst stamped into Thailand on my Canadian and get a MEV on the British one? Same goes for reverse of course. I'm also interested in knowing if anyone has ever done this, as I assume nobody could normally mail a passport home when they're currently in Thailand.

4) Assuming I can mail my passport to either the UK or Canada, does anyone know if they really require a bank statement showing a certain amount in either embassy after 13 Nov, or is this just a stated policy unlikely to be enforced? I've never had to provide proof of financials before.

Thanks in advance

1. No one as yet knows but I can predict there will be a limit.

2. There is no legal limit to the number of TV's. However, many Embassy's/Consulates already limit the number they will issue.

3. Not a good idea. You are required to be "in country" when a visa is applied for and passports will not be returned to a foreign address.

4. If a bank account is a stipulated requirement I would imagine it will be enforced in the same way that other visas with a financial requirement are currently enforced.

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't aware of any "in country" regulation, but I do wonder how this can be enforced if a passport is stamped out of Thailand (and any other country) and family members both receive and sent the applications in country (UK).

Oh my God!

You are everything this forum hate : Digital Nomad AND wanting to apply for METV by mail !!

We have dozens of topics hacked by this issue, where people argue for weeks.

Get ready for some serious bashing!

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't aware of any "in country" regulation, but I do wonder how this can be enforced if a passport is stamped out of Thailand (and any other country) and family members both receive and sent the applications in country (UK).

It might be possible, but you would at least need to exit thailand anyway. Check PM.

1. Unknown. But it's very likely that limits will be imposed.
  2. No. As long as the visa holders activity is limited to tourism and leisure you're considered a tourist regardless of how long you stay.
  3. As long as the embassy or consulate allow postal applications from outside the country you will be ok. I don't know about Canada but the Thai Embassy in London states that postal applicants must "reside permanently". Link.
  4. Unknown.

The best advice would be for you to contact the embassy/consulate and ask them if they will accept a postal application. The website will no doubt be updated with the METV criteria soon.

Oh my God!

You are everything this forum hate : Digital Nomad AND wanting to apply for METV by mail !!

We have dozens of topics hacked by this issue, where people argue for weeks.

Get ready for some serious bashing!

That's right -- if it is official policy that one must have legally entered a country before applying for a Thai visa at an embassy/consulate in that country and you want to discuss how you might falsely claim that you have so entered the country, then prepared to be bashed.

Some of these replies are a little amusing to me. I have filled a few tourist application forms and never had to affirm that I am residing in the country, so I doubt I would ever be "falsely claiming" anything if I did do this. In Australia one time they asked for my permanent Australian address, and when I informed the consulate face to face that I'm a tourist and have no Australian address, they literally told me to write down any address. We are talking about the same country right? Thailand, the land where people drive on sidewalks, setup restaurants wherever they please and pay police to avoid bothers. Every law and rule I've ever seen is up to constantly changing interpretations, so it's a bit rich to scold me about a small technicality that may actually cost me a great deal of time and money in flights.

Perhaps I should have stated from the beginning I was hoping for real-world experiences from members who have perhaps done the same previously. Thankfully, I've received a lot of good information though, so thank you to everyone, whether you despise me or not.

• Like 2

To the OP: Thank you. I am glad I have amused you. In your Post #3 you state there is/may be a regulation 'but I'm wondering how this can be enforced' so right up front your query is to how you can circumvent this regulation which is at least is stated by one of the US Honorary Consulate in USA's Visa Application Guidelines. It may today not be on others solely because the others are lax in updating their websites as to whether a Consulate will only issue METV visas by mail to persons who are within that country of application.

My real world experience is now 12 years residing in Thailand and filling out loads of applications and just hoping I have filled them out accurately and truthfully to the best of my knowledge and not supplying some piece of information and hoping that they don't check to see that it ain't what it says it is.

As to another above regarding what there should be, maybe go to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and look for this -- I'm sure they'll be happy to entertain your suggestions:

suggestion-box.gif

Edited by JLCrab

Yes there are lots of old threads. This was the update TODAY from the USA Portland Honorary General Consulate (wasn't there yesterday) which for years has been on the list as the most 'friendly' USA Thai Consulate:

EFFECTIVE NOVEMBER 13, 2015, THE NEW 6-MONTH, MULTIPLE ENTRY TOURIST VISA (METV) WILL BE AVAILABLE. THE 2-ENTRY AND 3-ENTRY TOURIST VISAS WILL NO LONGER BE AVAILABLE AFTER NOVEMBER 12, 2015. NEW APPLICATION WILL BE AVAILABLE ON THURSDAY. PLEASE SEE THE VISA INFORMATION PAGE FOR MORE DETAILS. (Their all caps)
FOR APPLICANTS APPLYING BY MAIL -- You must be physically in the United States at the time of application. (Their CAPS/bold)
Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 2

The old threads are still valid as there's no official policy on the matter on the MFA website, and you so far have one or two examples of consulates that wrote clear guidelines. Luckily there are plenty others, and from the other thread it might be possible to get an METV in Vietnam or Sri Lanka, remains to be confirmed.

• Unknown. But it's very likely that limits will be imposed.
  • No. As long as the visa holders activity is limited to tourism and leisure you're considered a tourist regardless of how long you stay.
  • As long as the embassy or consulate allow postal applications from outside the country you will be ok. I don't know about Canada but the Thai Embassy in London states that postal applicants must "reside permanently". Link.
  • Unknown.
The best advice would be for you to contact the embassy/consulate and ask them if they will accept a postal application. The website will no doubt be updated with the METV criteria soon.

As the OP clearly asked about applying for a new visa by post from within Thailand, your answer to question 3 is not correct. It is not legal to apply for a Thai visa while still physically being in Thailand.

From www.mfa.go.th:

5. To apply for a visa, a foreigner must possess a valid passport or travel document that is recognised by the Royal Thai Government and comply with the conditions set forth in the Immigration Act of Thailand B.E.2522 (1979) and its relevant regulations. In addition, the visa applicant must be outside of Thailand at the time of application. The applicant will be issued with a type of visa in accordance to his or her purpose of visit. For more information on types of visas and general requirements for each type of visa, please see Types of Visa and Issuance of Visa.

Applying by mail while being in another country is OK, as long as you meet the rules of the embassy/consulate you are applying at.

Sophon

Edited by Sophon
  • Like 1

Many digital nomads have moved to Cambodia where the Internet is faster and the visa issues are fewer. If you are coder, you may enjoy spending time in Saigon. Seems to be the best place for coding in Asia. Good luck with Thailand.

faster internet in cambodia? perhaps if you are living under a rock in deepest darkest rural issan, however internet in bangkok puts phnom penh to shamer

• Like 1

Many digital nomads have moved to Cambodia where the Internet is faster and the visa issues are fewer. If you are coder, you may enjoy spending time in Saigon. Seems to be the best place for coding in Asia. Good luck with Thailand.

faster internet in cambodia? perhaps if you are living under a rock in deepest darkest rural issan, however internet in bangkok puts phnom penh to shamer

Yes it is faster. It is not oversold as of yet as it is in Thailand . Your experience and mine differ entirely.

time to go home boy !!!!!

For US$350 a year, the cost of a multi entry residence visa, Cambodia is home.

Yellowboat, I have heard others refer to it as a business visa. With the visa you mention, are you considered a resident of Cambodia by the Cambodian gov't? Either way, Cambodia is a real option with truly welcoming policies.

Edited by kanook

Money here rules above all.There will always be other options.

Look for an ed visa school out of BKK. In some provinces you can still get 1 yr Ed visa and it is fairly easy and cheap. You never have to show up.

In regards to sending your passport to a visa agent in another country and getting it done that is not a bad idea, you just have to make sure they dont enforce the being a resident requirement.

Ignore these negative jealous posts, they are all playa haters.

time to go home boy !!!!!

For US$350 a year, the cost of a multi entry residence visa, Cambodia is home.

Yellowboat, I have heard others refer to it as a business visa. With the visa you mention, are you considered a resident of Cambodia by the Cambodian gov't? Either way, Cambodia is a real option with truly welcoming policies.

You plunk down the money at a travel agency, you do not even speak to immigration, and you get a one year multi-entry. A completely different experience from Thailand.

• Like 2

Nothing further from the truth.

I have to reload this page 3 times to access server and I am in Bangkapi

• Like 1

Exactly, try using LINE after 5pm in Bangkok. If you are doing serious work on the Internet, Thailand has some really pitfalls: Lacking IT / programming professionals, low Internet speed and immigration hassles. It fascinates as to why people must live there.

• Like 1

The old threads are still valid as there's no official policy on the matter on the MFA website, and you so far have one or two examples of consulates that wrote clear guidelines. Luckily there are plenty others, and from the other thread it might be possible to get an METV in Vietnam or Sri Lanka, remains to be confirmed.

You are right -- the Portland Honorary Consulate website is an aberration in that their website is updated as of yesterday. Just because a website either at a Consulate or the MFA itself is not up-to-date does not mean that they are not following a policy that is not specifically reflected on the website.

The in-the-country-of application may be a new policy that applies to the METV or maybe just the choice of the individual consulate. For a while at least in USA, NO mail in applications could be handled by an Honorary Consulate. But I only looked at the Portland Honorary Consulate, again, because they had the reputation for years of being the most 'friendly' for issuing visas.

And while it is noted above that the MFA website specifically states that one must be outside of Thailand when applying for a visa, it also does not stay whether they are referring to in-person applications or applications by mail in fact it makes no reference to applications by mail on that page.

Edited by JLCrab

You need to find a new ISP. I just did a speed test and got about 32 down and 5 up with true online (cable).

Exactly, try using LINE after 5pm in Bangkok. If you are doing serious work on the Internet, Thailand has some really pitfalls: Lacking IT / programming professionals, low Internet speed and immigration hassles. It fascinates as to why people must live there.

Hmm internet is fine for me in BKK, I'm working online and trolling Thaivisa 16 hours/day.

There's no one internet, if you have a private 20mps line in your condo it's fine, if you're sharing a 10mbps connection with the rest of your floor in an apartment building, then yes you'll have issues. Same with anywhere. If you want you can get 50mbps or even higher.

20mbps is 799 baht/month plus tax at the moment, with Truemove.

On mobile 3g if you get the unlimited monthly package LINE is fine at all hours. 599 baht/month plus tax.

Visas are much easier in Cambodia, but its like going back in a time warp compared to Thailand. Phnom Penh is basically a village compared to Bangkok.

4819245148.png

Edited by jspill
  • Like 1