Change in sense of humour 'a sign of impending dementia'

webfact

Change in sense of humour 'a sign of impending dementia'
By Michelle Roberts
Health editor, BBC News online

LONDON: -- An increasingly warped sense of humour could be an early warning sign of impending dementia, say UK experts.

The University College London study involved patients with frontotemporal dementia, with the results appearing in the Journal of Alzheimer's Disease.

Questionnaires from the friends and family of the 48 patients revealed many had noticed a change in humour years before the dementia had been diagnosed.

This included laughing inappropriately at tragic events.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/health-34766361

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2015-11-10

Questionnaires from the friends and family of the 48 patients revealed many had noticed a change in humour years before the dementia had been diagnosed.

And a study of 48 patients became the basis of an academic journal article on a precursor of dementia? My, the standards in academia may have just fallen to an all-time low. I don't think you can make any such conclusion given the subtle and dry nature of British humour.

A much more scientific study was recently released that shows a precursor symptom of Alzheimer's disease is a loss of smell. They are using peanut butter smell tests in clinical trials to quantify the correlation. It would be nice if scientists would stick to objective tests rather than ridiculous subjective beliefs that someone has gone "off".

And a study of 48 patients became the basis of an academic journal article on a precursor of dementia? My, the standards in academia may have just fallen to an all-time low. I don't think you can make any such conclusion given the subtle and dry nature of British humour.

A much more scientific study was recently released that shows a precursor symptom of Alzheimer's disease is a loss of smell. They are using peanut butter smell tests in clinical trials to quantify the correlation. It would be nice if scientists would stick to objective tests rather than ridiculous subjective beliefs that someone has gone "off".

Now you got me thinking, maybe it's not a cold I have but Alzheimer's as I can't smell anything...

And yes 48 is a low number. We did a study on 1250 slaughtered pigs to see if we could find a common DNA marker for intramuscular fat and it was deemed inconclusive as it was ONLY done on 1250 pigs of 5 different breeds.

Edited by Kasset Tak

As you grow older , you get a bigger perspective on life and tragic events....and you can laugh with it, it doesn't mean you are demented.

Yeah, sure. Keep telling yourself that.

I once had to bluff my way past a young, just out of school psychiatrist. I told her everything that she wanted to hear and she gave me what I was after.

When all was finished I asked her how someone of her age and with absolutely no experience in life could possibly evaluate someone like me. Her answer was that she had read all of the books.

Talk about the silence of the lambs.

As you grow older , you get a bigger perspective on life and tragic events....and you can laugh with it, it doesn't mean you are demented.

I have always said that the more irrelevant I become, the more irreverent I become.

My sister has dementia....I haven't.

I asked her one day to go to the ice-cream shop and buy me a chocolate dipped ice-cream.

She came back 2 hours later......I looked at what she was holding in her hands...

Lo and behold...she had forgotten to buy the tomato sauce

This could help explain why so many ex-pats living in Thailand have a change in sense of humour after being scammed out of their life's savings...

If my fellow idiots had any sense to begin with - humourous or otherwise - they would still have their life's savings.

I lost mine years ago... sense, humour, and life's savings.

TIT. Live with it.