Win10 update hanging?

Digitalbanana

In my previous post I forgot to mention both ISO files were US-English x64 bit versions with the one that worked 500MB bigger. I don't know why.

I checked my languages, and Control Panel let me then install English (Australia) version and select it as primary, as I was using before this upgrade. I prefer the dates and currency format of it in Excel etc. I can add and remove more lnaguages using the newer settings language options as well. So all seems to work as you helpfully explained thanks.

post-21581-0-97491500-1447935867_thumb.j

post-21581-0-20253600-1447936145_thumb.j

Edited by Digitalbanana

Yea, you definitely don't have a Single Language version because if you did you would not be able to download any additional display languages...instead you would be stuck with what SL language that originally came with that Windows.

Many new computers come with a SL version because its cheaper for the computer manufacturer to license a SL version if they include Windows pre-installed with their computer. And in many countries you may only find a SL version available in a store if wanting to buy a Windows disk...Microsoft does that to help reduce piracy because of the different pricing they have in different countries, especially emerging/3d world countries.

If buying a new computer and it comes pre-installed with Windows it's easy to see if it is SL version or not by going to the Systems menu in Settings and see if "Single Language" is part of the Windows version description.

See this post for more info...a partial snapshot is below...it's talking Win 8 but same info applies to other versions of Windows

post-55970-0-86035500-1447938249_thumb.j

...maybe you would want to try downloading the ISO from the Microsoft TechBench web site since it presents the language versions differently. If you think you had a Single Language version before the selected Win 10 Single Language, the select the version of English you want which will either be "English" (which I think is US English) or "English International" (which I think is UK English). Download that ISO and give it another try.

Yea, something in my gut is telling me you are trying to install the wrong language version based on the version of Win 7/Win 8.X your originally upgraded from. Good luck.

Well done sir, you have finally helped me fix it. I owe you eternally, or at least until the next Win10 update! Now my PC is fully working with all the modern apps and store access. How I did it:

My system says Win10 Home 64 bit. Nothing about SL or languages before or after latest update. I'm pretty sure its set for English US and allows multi language support, I have always used Thai language added as extra language if that is what is meant by mulit language?.

I almost didn't your download link above having downloaded Win10 ISO three times already using the Media Creation Tool. But just out of interest I tried the download options on your link above using the first Win10 with English option and it creates an ISO file that is US English but 500MB bigger than the one created by Media Creation Tool that I used yesterday. I ran setup from the new ISO and the start menu is different with just two options as below with option to keep files and apps. It took 80 minutes off an SSD drive but now everything is back to normal.

So the Media Creation Tool I got from your previous link and still available here (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10) was the problem and causes Win10 to misbehave without recourse. (I suspected something was up when the help menu on it refers to it as Win8.1!). Great stuff MS.

Thanks Pib.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

I've upgraded five PC's now, three within the last three days. Two had some issues with the start menu, then audio, printer driver update and other problems.

I have to admit that I had some sleepless nights and went to work afterwards, but I've finally won the war. On all machines is W 10 pro running.

And I did two upgrades with an installation DVD.

I had situations where my Acronis backup didn't work, after showing 100 % set up and a dodgy message saying: A corrupt file was found, upgrade can't be done, bla bla.

Another issue I solved is the problem with the genuine MS office problem. Now I validate my systems thru Microsoft and I'm good to go.

I had already given up, but gave it another try after a night wth enough sleep. I'll never forget one night, 4 in the morning where I had to go to work afterwards being completely burned out and almost all went wrong and even the printer finally started to "eat" the paper.

Now I do my setups with good classic rock music and they all work well. It seems that these machines know how you feel. Lol. -thumbsup.gif

Here's an article on what to do if you are not getting the Win 10 November Update (like me) that some people have referred to as a Service Pack/Threshold update. I'll give it another week or so for this major update to arrive my computer the normal updates way before I try the approach in the article...and I'll be sure to do an image backup before also

http://www.windowscentral.com/use-media-creation-tool-update-windows10

After posting above last night I googled some more about the big November upgrade to Win 10 (i.e.., from ver 10240 to ver 10576) that some people refer to as Threshold or the first Service Pack and I saw that lots of folks were complaining about not receiving the upgrade while still continuing to receive standard Windows security/driver updates--a category I fell in. And there were plenty of webpages taking the issue. Here's a webpage that discusses the "new features" in the upgrade ver 10576.

Also found some websites discussing the three reasons Microsoft said people may not receive the upgrade immediately or at all (see this webpage for the three reasons). None of those three reasons applied to me. I clicked Windows Check for Updates a few more times last night and this morning and it continued to say I was up to date but I was still on ver 10240...I just wasn't being offered the upgrade for some unknown reason. Maybe there was some Microsoft download server queue system in play for the upgrade to arrive your computer via the normal Windows update/OTA...I don't know.

So, this morning I decided to try the method given in my earlier post above instead of waiting another week....if it didn't' work I would just reload my image backup. See this webpage for how to do it which is nothing more than an upgrade of Win 10 using Microsoft's Upgrade and Media Creator Tool. It's not a Clean Install...you don't lose your apps or settings. Well, it might remove any app which has an issue with the upgrade because I had one app removed...a small Freeware program called CPU-Z. But I just redownloaded/reinstalled CPU-Z no problem...it works fine. At the end of the upgrade process Windows will tell you if any removed any of your apps. I expect any app removal is by exception especially if you are all ready running Win 10 like I was...specifically I was running Win 10 Pro.

Anyway, I started a little after 7am this morning and right a 8am the upgrade was done. Over half of that time was spent downloading the upgrade files which is basically downloading all Windows files needed like you were upgrading from Win 7 or Win 8.X. A lot more files than if you got the upgrade normally via Windows Update/OTA. So, if you have a slow internet connection (I only have a 15Mb connection here in Bangkok), how loaded the Microsoft servers may be, and depending on the horsepower your computer has (I have a Lenovo i7 CPU based laptop) it may take a longer or shorter time than what it took me. I was not upgrading from Win 7 or Win 8.X as I was already running Win 10 Pro ver 10240 which was version released back on 29 Jul 15 when Win 10 was initially released to the public.

And since some people who when originally upgraded from Win 7 Pro or Win 8.X Pro a few months ago ended up being only upgraded to Win 7 Home or Win 8.X Home the upgrade this morning properly identified I was running Win 10 Pro just before beginning the install and when it completed the upgrade I was still running my activated Win 10 Pro but ver 10576 now instead of the original ver 10240.

Summary: I now have the Win 10 upgrade as shown below...my Win 10 Pro is still activated....all appears to be fine after playing with it for around an hour....knock on wood (my head)...keeping my fingers crossed, etc.

As FYI, updating from Win 10 ver 10240 to the new Win 10 ver 1511 Build 10586 by using the Windows Media Creation Tool (MCT) will apparently no longer work as Microsoft pulled the update from the MCT on 22 Nov. The update will not only show up the regular intended way via Microsoft update.

See this article with partial snapshot below: http://www.groovypost.com/news/windows-10-november-update-pulled/

post-55970-0-36715200-1448263900_thumb.j

And now when you got the Microsoft MMCT page down at the bottom it now says:

post-55970-0-53775600-1448264184_thumb.j