Somsak cleared of unusual wealth charge

webfact

Simple fact is this: He is not unusually wealthy.

It is perfectly 'usual' for someone in his position to have assets way way beyond what he could have amassed from his official income. It is purely a play on words, it is not unusual because everyone in a position similar to his has a similar lifestyle, by definition making it not unusual.

It really is that simple.

I still think it is non-productive for the NLA to be staging these impeachment proceedings of former officials. Let the courts sort it out.

I agree. And in particular in the current situation. As they have been appointed by the Junta, they don't even have a democratic legitimacy.

Oh Please!! Don't give us the boring old "demcoratic Legitamacy" thing as there is not nor has there been anything of that nature in Thai Politics.

Big Surprise. NOT.

The problem is that everyone is scared that if they should ever set a precedent by convicting someone of having unusual wealth, they could be next.

Does not take much here to switch from the giving end to the receiving. Another show investigation Sadsack is innocent. Nothing to see here move on.(Always wanted to say that)

Edited by elgordo38

I still think it is non-productive for the NLA to be staging these impeachment proceedings of former officials. Let the courts sort it out.

I agree. And in particular in the current situation. As they have been appointed by the Junta, they don't even have a democratic legitimacy.

Yes they do.

Perhaps not in your eyes and opinion but that opinion is as worthless as mine in Thailand.

Thai PBS and The Nation forgot(?) to mention only 195 out of 220 NLA members participated to the vote! Where were the missing 25 NLA members then? Attending more important business elsewhere maybe, or ...? Changes and reforms, hmm... Yeah, sure!

Good points. Comes to mind, are we back to every five minutes checking if there is the required minimum for a quorum?

One would hope that thre NLA leadership would be pushing for a much better picture, displaying genuine ethics. It's going to be a long bumpy road. Example: 'but I had to go to my daughters release of her new fb page, nice chocolate cake too.'

Oh Please!! Don't give us the boring old "demcoratic Legitamacy" thing as there is not nor has there been anything of that nature in Thai Politics.

Oh please, don't give us the boring old excuse for rejecting any reference to democracy. Would you mind explaining us what is the legitimacy of the NLA?

I wonder if the records of taxes paid for these wealthy individuals would match their assets. Isn't that how they got Al Capone? After all if you have legitimately acquired say 600M Baht over a period of 20 years, then there should be a record of the taxes you have paid on the earnings - or is this too naive?

I am sure your last bit was with your tounge firmly planted in your cheek. One would think that there would be records but here it doesn't ever seem to be. If one of them falls then the rest could also

Corrupt politicians being cleared of wrongdoing by other corrupt politicians, the only way these guys fall is if someone at the very top tier of the Thai Elite wants them to fall.

When you have an ex Soldier PM who is incredibly wealthy. Police Chiefs who have also amassed unbelievable fortunes, unless they pizz the wrong person off, they are all safe.

There is nobody to prosecute these people, the corruption money flows uphill, the only people with any power or influence over the blatant corruption will do nothing, they need the Military and The Police to protect them and their own corrupt lifestyles.

Thailand's is a mess, always will be when you have a brainwashed poorly educated majority, who are kept firmly in their place by armed men in uniform who are led by the insanely wealthy Generals.

Edited by Broken Record

Yes they do.

Perhaps not in your eyes and opinion but that opinion is as worthless as mine in Thailand.

You should include the average Thai peoples opinion in that worthless category

Yes they do.

okok I'm going to bite

so enlighten us as to what 'democratic legitimacy' do your heroes have?

Yes they do.

okok I'm going to bite

so enlighten us as to what 'democratic legitimacy' do your heroes have?

Not worth a reply, just baiting and keeping up his regular negative post count. Ignore!

Not worth a reply, just baiting and keeping up his regular negative post count. Ignore!

so no answer? to where this poster CLAIMS the Junta have some democratic 'legitimacy'? or you want to answer for him or just swerve and avoid as you usually do?

BTW, as YOU bring it up, my positive vote count is very healthy compared to your poor count

scorecard : .54 average positive votes per post

lannaguy : 1.52 average positive votes per post

Edited by LannaGuy

Can I also remind to all the Junta fans who complain about this vote the composition of this NLA? All appointed by the Junta, half of them military and the other half dominantly anti-thaksin.

Do you think the Junta really wanted Somsak to be impeached for the specific charge of "unusual wealth"?

Can I also remind to all the Junta fans who complain about this vote the composition of this NLA? All appointed by the Junta, half of them military and the other half dominantly anti-thaksin.

Do you think the Junta really wanted Somsak to be impeached for the specific charge of "unusual wealth"?

None of them wanted impeachment, even those who voted for impeachment were probably told to vote that way, all anonymous, it was rigged to get the correct result, but you have to have a few negatives and abstainers to at least try to make it look legitimate, but unless he has made enemies at the top, the result was never in doubt.

So he's obviously towing the party line therefore he's safe.

None of them wanted impeachment, even those who voted for impeachment were probably told to vote that way, all anonymous, it was rigged to get the correct result, but you have to have a few negatives and abstainers to at least try to make it look legitimate, but unless he has made enemies at the top, the result was never in doubt.

So he's obviously towing the party line therefore he's safe.

Probably. Same as the vote on the draft charter.

Yes they do.

They might have lots of qualities good and bad, but I don't think democratic legitimacy can possibly be one of them.