USA -- low budget repatriation specific locations that aren't horrible

Interesting list, thanks. I see several with bitter cold winters. I also would be more interested in the price of buying a home than rents. I think renting is financial suicide for retirement.

Some people are fortunate enough to be retired for 30 years or so. I look back 30 years to what things cost - houses, new cars - and it's shocking. I bought a new Ford Thunderbird loaded out in 1991 for $9,500. I built a really nice new home in 1990 or so for under $100,000. While building I rented a really nice 2br 2bth apartment for $375. Those days are long gone but many people who retired in 1990 are still alive and well.

Cheers.

High rent areas also coincide with high property tax areas. States like NJ/NY are outrageous (not that you would want to settle there) but the point is if you buy make sure you survey what property taxes/assessments are in your locale. I know people who pay monthly in property taxes what I was paying in rent in NJ...crazy.

Interesting list, thanks. I see several with bitter cold winters. I also would be more interested in the price of buying a home than rents. I think renting is financial suicide for retirement.

Some people are fortunate enough to be retired for 30 years or so. I look back 30 years to what things cost - houses, new cars - and it's shocking. I bought a new Ford Thunderbird loaded out in 1991 for $9,500. I built a really nice new home in 1990 or so for under $100,000. While building I rented a really nice 2br 2bth apartment for $375. Those days are long gone but many people who retired in 1990 are still alive and well.

Cheers.

High rent areas also coincide with high property tax areas. States like NJ/NY are outrageous (not that you would want to settle there) but the point is if you buy make sure you survey what property taxes/assessments are in your locale. I know people who pay monthly in property taxes what I was paying in rent in NJ...crazy.

Think he's using Zillow, among other sources. Pretty neat website, historical sales prices and property taxes for the listings.

• Like 2

San Diego is the best city in the US. Also is on the list of World's Smart Cities. Not just very beautiful.

But, it is an expensive and resort city with a secret. It is located by the Mexican border.

On the South areas of the city, where more Hispanic lives, food and rentals are lower, even if some of those areas are between the hills and the ocean, and 20 minutes to downtown San Diego. The San Diego Seniors Center offer a lot of free services, and good food for seniors. Great people.

Even cheaper? On the other side of the border, and by the beaches, from Playas de Tijuana to Ensenada, it is possible to find small condos for not more than $300/month, and the food is 1/2 price than in San Diego..and better, if do you like Mexican food.

With a Sentri pass, crossing the border is a lot easier and faster.

In San Diego, by the border, many good hospitals and doctors works with Medicare, specially on the Sharp Chula Vista Medical Center. Dental care in Mexico is very good and 1/2 price than in San Diego. Medications and local doctors up to 10 times cheaper, specially in Farmacias Similares.

Most people speaks English enough, and it is safe, keeping your walks out of the red light and entertainment areas of downtown Tijuana.

More info, just send me message now...and a bottle of Tequila if you move to Tijuana.

Edited by Muzarella
  • Like 1

San Diego is the best city in the US. Also is on the list of World's Smart Cities. Not just very beautiful.

But, it is an expensive and resort city with a secret. It is located by the Mexican border.

On the South areas of the city, where more Hispanic lives, food and rentals are lower, even if some of those areas are between the hills and the ocean, and 20 minutes to downtown San Diego. The San Diego Seniors Center offer a lot of free services, and good food for seniors. Great people.

Even cheaper? On the other side of the border, and by the beaches, from Playas de Tijuana to Ensenada, it is possible to find small condos for not more than $300/month, and the food is 1/2 price than in San Diego..and better, if do you like Mexican food.

With a Sentri pass, crossing the border is a lot easier and faster.

In San Diego, by the border, many good hospitals and doctors works with Medicare, specially on the Sharp Chula Vista Medical Center. Dental care in Mexico is very good and 1/2 price than in San Diego. Medications and local doctors up to 10 times cheaper, specially in Farmacias Similares.

Most people speaks English enough, and it is safe, keeping your walks out of the red light and entertainment areas of downtown Tijuana.

More info, just send me message now...and a bottle of Tequila if you move to Tijuana.

Man, you are sooo evil to bring this up. biggrin.png I just got back from a month long exploratory trip to NW Florida. I think I could do it, but I'm a San Diego/Baja kid, it's a tough decision. Wife loves SD more than Florida. Vamos a ver.

I lived in the North country for many years. Carlsbad and Oceanside. Worked in Del Mar and downtown. Many days on Harbor and Shelter islands. I love San Diego. Had a sailboat and really enjoyed the bay. But from what I hear, traffic is getting even worse than it was when I was there! (1988-2000). Real estate is expensive as is gas/electricity/water. Heck, most things are more expensive there. Sadly.

Spent a lot of time south of the border. All the way to Ixtapa. Spent many months up and down both coasts. Fantastic. But Mexico does have it's own issues. And there are many, as you well know. I've got many fond memories of San Diego and south...

• Like 2

The OP is "low budget" so my mind keeps going there. Many of the places on the above list of 20 best aren't the most affordable.

A lot depends on lifestyle and I'm a country boy so big cities don't interest me. I could live in the boonies and get to know my neighbors and the guys who hit the nearest coffee shop in the mornings. I'd want to be within 20 minutes of a good sized town with good shopping.

I've already said what I would do, but we are all different...

Just checked Zillow for Salem. Doesn't seem to be a fit but maybe someone else would be interested.

As I've explained I don't expect to be destitute enough for classical Medicaid anywhere, hopefully not, and I'd only have to make it to age 65 before Medicare.

Classical Medicaid generally disallows any significant LIQUID assets such as bank accounts. Not sure if they look at IRA funds.

The Medicaid I've talked alot about here is about EXPANDED MEDICAID, a new Obamacare thing. That doesn't look at assets at all but you need to be UNDER the minimum Obamacare threshold and live in a state that offers it.

Food stamps I think allow home and car ownership anywhere.

I think a lot of states have property tax breaks for elders. That's definitely worth looking into for any locality.

I think that might even be county by county in some states.

The places I'm looking at are so cheap that the property taxes are laughably low anyway ... except when I was looking at Cleveland.

Just looking at Cleveland is laughable !

Cleveland is very cold. It's had a loss of a lot of manufacturing, leaving some run down areas. Technically I think it's in the Great Plains and on the Great Lakes. It's just cold and not really attractive.

If I'm going to throw darts at a map of the US, I'm going to try to hit the southern parts that are warmer. 24/7/365 snowbird.

Cheers.

• Like 2

Cleveland is very cold. It's had a loss of a lot of manufacturing, leaving some run down areas. Technically I think it's in the Great Plains and on the Great Lakes. It's just cold and not really attractive.

If I'm going to throw darts at a map of the US, I'm going to try to hit the southern parts that are warmer. 24/7/365 snowbird.

Cheers.

I spent some 20 years in Ohio, Michigan, Minnesota and New York. Have no interest in going back. Bad memories of being snowed in, shoveling for hours to get out, and run down manufacturing towns. Perhaps a small part of Cleveland is interesting, but IMHO, there are much better options. I hated having to layer up to go outside, then be hotter than hell in the car, put everything back on, only to have to tear it all off again when you hit your destination...ugh....

• Like 1

I already rejected Cleveland but I thought it was worth considering based on high level big city cultural offerings with housing bargains. To me in a similar category as Rochester and Pittsburgh but even better buying opportunities than those places.

Yes I remember Chicago winters. Not fondly.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I already rejected Cleveland but I thought it was worth considering based on high level big city cultural offerings with housing bargains. To me in a similar category as Rochester and Pittsburgh.

Yes I remember Chicago winters. Not fondly.

I worked for a company that asked to relocate to Philly. As part of my research, I also visited Pittsburgh. I said no. They fired me. And I was happy. It's a very depressing part of the US. IMHO. Wifey hated it also...

The lovely Rust Belt. Hard winters there.

Oddly enough, I stumbled across an article just 2 days ago, naming the ex-coal cracking Euro immigrant town I spent a a handful of years in my early youth, Glen Lyon, PA (about 4 hours from Pitts) the "most depressed place in PA". I've been back there a few times over the decades, drive through, walk in the woods, nice memories, but the poverty and crushing despair was evident, band aided with alcohol and drug abuse.

The old adage sprang to mind ~ "A great place to be from! Not a good place to go back to". sad.png

• Like 1

There is always a reason for the low price! But I can't afford a high price.

I get why people love Portland. I just don't. C'est la vie. Just as well as I can't afford it. I like Seattle a lot of better which I also can't afford.

Apparently there are a lot of SNAKES in Phoenix? Could be a deal breaker. w00t.gif

If Portland ends up on your short list, then here's another thought:

You might want to consider Vancouver, Washington, which is just across the Columbia River - spitting distance - from Portland.

About a 15 minute drive.

Houses are considerably less expensive than in Portland, and the lots are larger.

I rented a nice 3br ranch for $800 in 2012.

No sales tax on food items, and no sales tax at all when you cross the river to Oregon.

Hey Jingting....

I have read a lot of this thread...

But not all so I am sorry if I throw this into the mix and it has been covered already...but what were your feelings on Austin TX? I too am thinking to repatriate back to the states...and I am currently on a US tour...

Now in Austin and I just set up my residency here and am thinking to move here with my TGF..

I have family and friends who live here...and there are some really nice spots in austin imo pretty affordable for a nice quality of life...look at south lamar and even further south...and the east side...as well as round rock....

Sorry again if this has been covered...

You might want to consider Vancouver, Washington, which is just across the Columbia River - spitting distance - from Portland.

Seems pretty gloomy and rainy overall, and chilly a good part of the year. But, at least, not freezing most of the time.

post-58284-0-57027200-1458362626_thumb.j

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Seems pretty gloomy and rainy overall, and chilly a good part of the year. But, at least, not freezing most of the time.

Yep - this is true.

He said he didn't mind winter as long as it wasn't extremely cold.

attachicon.gifPS0111.jpg

I live about 50 miles S. of there. It does rain more than some places but of course that helps keep things green. It's a lot less rain than Seattle.

It snowed once this winter, about the first week of Jan. It melted off by noon and that was it. It's really mild but you're right, it has more rain than some places. I'll take it over desert or high heat any day.

Cheers.

• Like 1

I looked into the question of taking SS benefits early and found a source saying if you live to 62 you're better off taking it early if you die before 78. After that a bad choice. About 50 50 odds if you live to 62 of living longer than 78. People are probably poor judges of their own life expectancies but on the other hand it is possible to make educated guesses based on your parents, gender, and health conditions. Also I think poverty definitely tends to shorten lifespan in general. Grim perhaps to bet against yourself but old age ain't for wimps.

Edited by Jingthing

I looked into the question of taking SS benefits early and found a source saying if you live to 62 you're better off taking it early if you die before 78. After that a bad choice. About 50 50 odds if you live to 62 of living longer than 78. People are probably poor judges of their own life expectancies but on the other hand it is possible to make educated guesses based on your parents and health conditions. Also I think poverty definitely tends to shorten lifespan in general. Grim perhaps to bet against yourself but old age ain't for wimps.

If one is married, that can change the answer as well. If the higher earning spouse takes SS early and dies before the surviving spouse, then that surviving spouse has been limited on the amount he/she will get for his/her remaining days.

If only we knew the precise date of death, the answer would be simple. I am 65.5 and will wait another year before drawing SS. In running the numbers that makes the most sense to me.

But of course it really is an individual calculation based on individual circumstances. There is no absolute right or wrong answer.

Edited by SpokaneAl

Pension at 57 so I was not stressed for finances so I had the luxury of waiting until 66 to get full SS. But as long as you realistically determine how much you really need then make the decision based upon that, not an unreasonable fear that you won't live long enough to get your "contributions" back

• Like 2

Actually the bottom line should be whether or not you need SS early or not.

JT has already posted that he has substantial assets (or at least enough to cover the cost of housing and since expanded Medicare is no longer a requirement)

I retired with a full

Not that substantial. I will need the income.

The land lease issue is sometimes an issue with condos as well! w00t.gif

A pleasant retirement community now becoming a rental slum:

http://www.tampabay.com/news/humaninterest/depressed-property-values-land-leases-trouble-vendome-village-senior/1158148

These are cute little homes for the price though (don't look at the old lady wallpaper):

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/Pinellas-Park-FL/condo_type/47225816_zpid/26512_rid/0-100000_price/0-360_mp/any_days/27.902203,-82.520543,27.6966,-82.835026_rect/11_zm/?3col=true

Edited by Jingthing

I buy nothing where I don't own the land outright. I certainly wouldn't buy into a condo or other zero lot line deal where some association could dictate what my monthly charges would be. I wouldn't share ownership in land or a pool or a rec. room or anything else I didn't control. It's not just the uncertainty of what the fees will be, but there's also the uncertainty of whether others will pay their dues. In tough times of foreclosures many dues go unpaid and there isn't enough money to properly maintain the common areas. Things can go to crap.

First buy the land. As the old saying goes, "There are just three things to consider when appraising property. Location, location, and location." You can always do things to improve a dwelling but nothing to improve the location. Location includes it being in a place with or without a homeowners' association.

After choosing the land, choose the dwelling. They are probably both already there but it's the location we choose first and only then bother to assess the suitability of the dwelling on it. This is why I could choose a small rural piece with a double wide mobile on it if I were in that price range. They can take their condo and shove it - sideways.

Cheers.