USA -- low budget repatriation specific locations that aren't horrible

So has anyone spent any time in Tulsa, OK in the last few years? If so, what do you think about it? It's not normally a place I would even want to VISIT, much less move to. 

Rather hilariously, right after posting the above, I was checking out this film called  Let Me Make You a Martyr. Coincidentally, there is a TULSA connection. 

LET ME MAKE YOU A MARTYR: The American South Is Hell On Earth

... Let Me Make You a Martyr, is a nightmarish vision of the detriment of the southern United States. Shot in the outskirts of Tulsa, Oklahoma near Green Country, the film emerges itself in the heart of a shockingly corrupt vision of the “Bible Belt” of America.

To add, I am aware that Oklahoma is in a terrible financial situation. Kind of a failing state. They've had to cut the school days down from 5 to 4 a week to save money! But I'm wouldn't be planning on going to grade school there. I assume there would be an impact to all residents, limited government services, roads not getting fixed, etc. Third world type stuff right in the USA. :coffee1:

Edited by Jingthing
6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

So has anyone spent any time in Tulsa, OK in the last few years? If so, what do you think about it? It's not normally a place I would even want to VISIT, much less move to. 

Rather hilariously, right after posting the above, I was checking out this film called  Let Me Make You a Martyr. Coincidentally, there is a TULSA connection. 

To add, I am aware that Oklahoma is in a terrible financial situation. Kind of a failing state. They've had to cut the school days down from 5 to 4 a week to save money! But I'm wouldn't be planning on going to grade school there. I assume there would be an impact to all residents, limited government services, roads not getting fixed, etc. Third world type stuff right in the USA. :coffee1:

I have a relatively good knowledge of Tulsa, my uncle lives there, but I haven't visited for years, Although if you can wait doing a road trip there for Thanksgiving.

But seriously, if you worry about Utah, you'd hate OK. At least in UT everything works, folks aren't bigots, regardless of the religious stuff.

yeah...Utah has got great scenery as well...OK has got rednecks and dust bowls...

a friend taught at the university in Norman fer awhile but I suspect that he just tolerated it, first job as a new PhD, etc...they later moved to Montana, which is supposed to be very nice but not sure as a retiree on a small budget...

1 hour ago, craigt3365 said:

Utah does have some spectacular scenery. But it's all outside SLC. Which has terrible air quality. And like OK, it's frickin cold in the winter!

Problem is, JT wants somewhere hot, so once you rule out the FL, CA etc, you're kinda down to places, which are affordable, that either have great summers, and real winters, or the bug laden, humidity dripping south, and all the baggage that goes along with the South.

Sooner or later compromise has to happen, since perfection comes at a price!

On 8/31/2017 at 10:48 AM, GinBoy2 said:

Problem is, JT wants somewhere hot, so once you rule out the FL, CA etc, you're kinda down to places, which are affordable, that either have great summers, and real winters, or the bug laden, humidity dripping south, and all the baggage that goes along with the South.

Sooner or later compromise has to happen, since perfection comes at a price!

That's not exactly accurate. I realize because relative affordability has by necessity has got to be very high on my list of needs if repatriating, there is no chance of moving to a location that would have the best weather year round. Personally, I have experienced very hot and very cold places and seasons, and would choose very hot over very cold. I well understand how unpleasant humidity is. I am open to more four season kinds of places but probably not as far north as Pittsburgh, which other than the weather definitely would be very much higher on my list. 

Edited by Jingthing
On 8/31/2017 at 9:33 AM, craigt3365 said:

Utah does have some spectacular scenery. But it's all outside SLC. Which has terrible air quality. And like OK, it's frickin cold in the winter!

I'm not surprised but the SLC area is the only place I would consider in that state and it turns out, even SLC isn't really on my personal list. I value urban amenities over scenery. Oh well. Actually, it makes it easier to eliminate some places. 

Edited by Jingthing
On 8/31/2017 at 5:25 AM, GinBoy2 said:

I have a relatively good knowledge of Tulsa, my uncle lives there, but I haven't visited for years, Although if you can wait doing a road trip there for Thanksgiving.

But seriously, if you worry about Utah, you'd hate OK. At least in UT everything works, folks aren't bigots, regardless of the religious stuff.

I reckon there are many not bigoted people enjoying their lives in Tulsa and similar places.

It turns out they have two OK Asian food markets there which given how few Asian people live there percentage-wise is a little surprising. 

Downside is that it seems to have less "cultural" stuff going on than I'd want moving to a rather ugly city, such as a good live theater scene. So for many reasons, it's not high on my list, but push come to shove, it may be hard to ignore the cheap rents in places like Tulsa.

Would rather have a roof over my head in someplace kind of terrible than no roof in a great place, eh?

35 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I reckon there are many not bigoted people enjoying their lives in Tulsa and similar places.

It turns out they have two OK Asian food markets there which given how few Asian people live there percentage-wise is a little surprising. 

Downside is that it seems to have less "cultural" stuff going on than I'd want moving to a rather ugly city, such as a good live theater scene. So for many reasons, it's not high on my list, but push come to shove, it may be hard to ignore the cheap rents in places like Tulsa.

Would rather have a roof over my head in someplace kind of terrible than no roof in a great place, eh?

To kinda demonstrate what I mean.

My uncle is 92 years old, and is very obviously Hispanic. He's lived in Tulsa probably close to 50 years.

Couple of months ago he has beaten up by a bunch of youths screaming various obscenities, telling him to 'go back to Mexico'. This happened in a Target parking lot, and not a single person tried to help him.

Says a lot about a society!

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
Just now, GinBoy2 said:

To kinda demonstrate what I men.

My uncle is 92 years old, and is very obviously Hispanic. He's lived in Tulsa probably close to 50 years.

Couple of months ago he has beaten up by a bunch of youths screaming various obscenities, telling him to 'go back to Mexico'. This happened in a Target parking lot, and not a single person tried to help him.

Says a lot about a society!

That's truly horrible. 

That kind of thing is happening more in many U.S. places, including blue states. Going there would be moving this into a political discussion, which it isn't. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

That's truly horrible. 

That kind of thing is happening more in many U.S. places, including blue states. Going there would be moving this into a political discussion, which it isn't. 

Never meant it as a political statement, more a reflection on Tulsa as a community

Edited by GinBoy2
Never meant it as a political statement, more a reflection on Tulsa as a community

In any case it's no secret it's Bible belt buckle territory and it's culturally no Berkeley.
Such things need to be taken into account.
They would impact different people differently.
5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

at one time I sorta thought about a trailer park in the coastal NW, maybe Gray's Harbor in WA...I'd fit right in, buncha retired loggers with battered pickups with lots Copenhagen snuff and Rainer beer, sit out in the rain and splice scrap bits of wire rope to pass the time...but I've moved on from that now...plus my SS ain't as much as I expected, current finances are more suited to rural Thailand...

I've become more flexible and have lowered my expectations to suit...makin' my own food from ingredients available at the local market and the ability to download books and films has helped a lot...

Edited by tutsiwarrior
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

In theory "mobile" homes can be OK. But the problem is the rental land. So you're mixing buying and renting and in a very vulnerable situation to the landlords. The landlords can even just end the park from under you.

That's a rare possibility. I know many who live in parks like these. Or, in over 50 villages that have small stick built homes. Not a bad way to go.

That's a rare possibility. I know many who live in parks like these. Or, in over 50 villages that have small stick built homes. Not a bad way to go.

Yeah, I would not recommend it for anyone unable to read and understand a lease...

You can always buy a motor-home and follow the weather around the states. Plenty of places to park.
3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

In theory "mobile" homes can be OK. But the problem is the rental land. So you're mixing buying and renting and in a very vulnerable situation to the landlords. The landlords can even just end the park from under you.

Lots and lots of 55+ MHPs are on fee simple land. You can buy a MH and land in Mesa AZ well under 100k. 20% down mortgages available with payment under $500/mo.

Lots and lots of 55+ MHPs are on fee simple land. You can buy a MH and land in Mesa AZ well under 100k. 20% down mortgages available with payment under $500/mo.

You can buy a pretty good one for $10k.

Another cheap option if you like the ocean is to buy a live-aboard that comes with a decent mooring, or if you have some income a slip.

Anyway, personally I have no interest of running around with an RV. I need a stable location. On the "mobile" home question, I would be open enough to consider that in places like Arizona but on the Florida coast where they tend to get blown away in storms, not so much. 

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Anyway, personally I have no interest of running around with an RV. I need a stable location. On the "mobile" home question, I would be open enough to consider that in places like Arizona but on the Florida coast where they tend to get blown away in storms, not so much. 

Keep away from anywhere subject to tornado's too....since mobile home parks seem to be a tornado magnet!

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Like 2
18 hours ago, Jingthing said:

No shit. This doesn't mean there are no not reasonable owners or corporations that lease lots to the home owner that aren't out to gouge you. No different than renting, where you are more vulnerable, or buying or doing business with anybody. Even Thailand. This can be easily researched by anybody. Like over the years how often has fees increased. What is the reputation of the property owner. 

Let's get real, if you have the money, connections, or sweat equity, any decent lot with property is 250K+. Any lower you are looking at lots of sweat. a inner city war zone, or access with dog sleds or ATV.

The other stretch, which does seem to pass on these posts, is connections, organizational or religious affiliations, or finding people a person like you. Like the world turns, all good deals, employment or places to live are not advertised anywhere. You know somebody. 

• Like 1
On 9/1/2017 at 2:58 PM, Kim1950 said:

As it's very difficult to buy a home. Trailer Parks are becoming more popular, and many of these are your not your 'white trash' hoods with cars on blocks. Many of these are newer modular homes and set in managed communities. Straight-out these beat renting, privacy, a yard for a barbecue or whatever, and no bumping into people. Though even on the low end and not new, these might run 55K to 100K. You could go lower and most often then want cash. Not great for a family, but for one or two they work. Your fees might run about $400\Month. That beats renting. Then again you need the upfront money. You also need a car but your mileage should be low. The car might out-live you. 

Get streaming video for entertainment, do your own cooking, or join free community groups of interest. You can mooch from the Elderly Care Centers. How do know, that's how 91 Year Old Mom lives with her boyfriend and a 40 minute drive from Boston or the ocean or the mountains. Otherwise, she'd be in the purgatory of a nursing home.

I'm going to ditto this.

My parents at the end of their lives lived in a trailer park. They could never afford to have bought a house in California Central Valley, so they had rented all their lives.

The trailer park, was actually pretty nice, they're not really trailers anymore, they are as you said, static modular manufactured homes, hooked up for cable, internet etc.

These parks tend to have an older demographic so pretty peaceful.

My Mom & Dad have both been dead for many years now, so I can't remember what they were paying, but I do remember it was substantially cheaper that what they were paying previously in apartment rent. My Mom actually mused that she wished they had done it years earlier, since now she could tend flowers, sit outside, something they couldn't do in the apartment

If I didn't already own a house I would most certainly consider this a rather good option

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Like 1