USA -- low budget repatriation specific locations that aren't horrible

40 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Well we're coming up on two years of discussion and (apparently) seem no closer to a selection than when the thread started.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I think this thread is more now focused on other people wanting to repatriate, rather than JT

56 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Well we're coming up on two years of discussion and (apparently) seem no closer to a selection than when the thread started.

This has already been recently addressed --

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/870522-usa-low-budget-repatriation-specific-locations-that-arent-horrible/?page=73&tab=comments#comment-12191909

It would be interesting if there was any data related to how many farangs are repatriating. 

My sense is, from at least my little circle that out of 10 of us, with me, 6 others have decided to return home for various reasons.

The common thread was however that the fact that Thailand is no longer very cheap sorta made the insanity of the country too much to bear.

I think most like me most don't plan to be away forever, but living in Thailand 100% of the time is certainly not the appealing thought it once was

It would be interesting if there was any data related to how many farangs are repatriating. 
My sense is, from at least my little circle that out of 10 of us, with me, 6 others have decided to return home for various reasons.
The common thread was however that the fact that Thailand is no longer very cheap sorta made the insanity of the country too much to bear.
I think most like me most don't plan to be away forever, but living in Thailand 100% of the time is certainly not the appealing thought it once was

While Thailand has gotten somewhat more expensive it does not seem to me excessively so. Certainly not as much as things seem to be going up in the US?

What has the price gone up so much on?
24 minutes ago, mogandave said:

While Thailand has gotten somewhat more expensive it does not seem to me excessively so. Certainly not as much as things seem to be going up in the US?

24 minutes ago, mogandave said:

I've said this many pages back, but...

'If' you can take out housing and 'if' you lived a western lifestyle in Thailand, it's actually pretty much awash the cost of living.

I've been back in the US close to 6 months now, and honestly my monthly living expenses are pretty much the same. 

Some more, some less, but honestly not  lot of difference.

Now I owned a house from before, so I am just talking about day to day living expenses.

Edited by GinBoy2
I've said this many pages back, but...

'If' you can take out housing and 'if' you lived a western lifestyle in Thailand, it's actually pretty much awash the cost of living.
I've been back in the US close to 6 months now, and honestly my monthly living expenses are pretty much the same. 
Some more, some less, but honestly not  lot of difference.
Now I owned a house from before, so I am just talking about day to day living expenses.

Where int the US?
South Dakota

SD's supposed to be thriving, yes?

I guess it depends what you conceder a western lifestyle. I'm married with a kid and eat 9 out of 10 meals at home. Growing up in CA I ate 99 out of 100 meals at home. Seems to me groceries are significantly cheaper here than in CA

I go to the movies pretty often, and it costs less than half what I would pay in CA.

That said, the grocery and movie selection is limited.

Auto insurance & registration is cheaper, although most cars are more expensive.

Seems a lot cheaper to me to me in Thailand, but I guess It all depends on what you can earn where you are.

I think moving back to CA and likely earning less than I do will be a little tough...
26 minutes ago, mogandave said:

SD's supposed to be thriving, yes?

I guess it depends what you conceder a western lifestyle. I'm married with a kid and eat 9 out of 10 meals at home. Growing up in CA I ate 99 out of 100 meals at home. Seems to me groceries are significantly cheaper here than in CA

I go to the movies pretty often, and it costs less than half what I would pay in CA.

That said, the grocery and movie selection is limited.

Auto insurance & registration is cheaper, although most cars are more expensive.

Seems a lot cheaper to me to me in Thailand, but I guess It all depends on what you can earn where you are.

I think moving back to CA and likely earning less than I do will be a little tough...

It's a kinda mixed bag.

Car insurance, yeah thats more but not by much

Registration in SD is dirt cheap

Utilities pretty much the same, but I was an AC junkie

Cars, do I need to even need to comment, about half

Water, probably double what I paid in Thailand, $40/month

Internet, almost the same, I paid TOT ~$60/month for 200M. I pay Midco $91.month for 1Gig and phone.....and it works!

Gas, little cheaper, $2.40/gal versus if I do the math about $3.20 in Thailand

Food. That gets trickier. I tended to buy western food from Tops which was always at a premium price. So buying the same tends to be  somewhat cheaper, and with much more choice 

I do have to pay property tax, but I paid that anyway, so it's a sunk cost

South Dakota is zero % state income tax location

Now I'm a Californian by birth, and I can tell you for sure, Cali is a helluva lot more expensive

Edited by GinBoy2

That was a fine detour but again a reminder that the purpose of this thread is to discuss specific USA locations.

Economics is often a big part of the motivation to expatriate or repatriate.

But this topic isn't so much about the reasons to repatriate. Those are going to be very specific for each person.

This thread is about where to live for those that either choose or are somehow forced to quit Thailand. Many reasons that people might be forced out such as not being able to get extensions any longer, etc. Of course some Americans that leave Thailand choose another country other than repatriation such as Cambodia. This isn't about that either.

At the risk of hypocrisy I think this article is worth citing.

http://uproxx.com/life/subprime-mortgages/

"At the moment, home prices are rising, with a new wrinkle: Only the rich can afford them. As Kiplinger tells us, luxury homes are selling, but first-time buyers and those who want to trade up are faced with ballooning home prices:"

Repatriating expats need housing and the article discusses the price and credit situation they will have to deal with.

Also as so many millennials not buying that puts continued upward pressure on rents as well.

For the too low budget types such as moi that might mean settling for even less desirable destinations.

1 hour ago, mogandave said:

Thailand seems pretty cheap to me.

I have no idea how old all you are or your health. But, if are looking closer to the setting sun with marginal income, assets, and health. Have no connections or family. Life will be 'Naraka'. This factor was discussed earlier in the forum then dropped off-the-radar'. This can vary state-to-state, community-by-community Coming here for 'Medicare' has some benefits, though it is limited without more money for gap coverage or go broke on Medicaid in a billeted nursing home, drugged into a stupor. You find cheaper and better assisted living, right where you live in Thailand.

Anyway, you might be looking for a Plan B with, at least, a death with dignity. This does happen, right here, in the US. I have a no invention contract with the VA.

A rather literary reflection touching on the issues of different locations in the USA having such wildly different political/demographic qualities, and how if you don't fit in with where you're at, well, that might not be so good!

Her father liked to say that his daughter had attained “peak enlightenment,” a sarcastic jab that Emily knew pointed to a larger truth. Her worldview had changed since she left Kahoka. She had voted against Trump. She had become increasingly worried about the country since the election. And at a moment when the phrase “cold civil war” was being used to describe the nation’s seemingly irreconcilable differences, coming home was beginning to feel like crossing over to the other side.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/t-h-e-h-o-m-e-c-o-m-i-n-g/2017/09/02/da59db82-88dd-11e7-961d-2f373b3977ee_story.html

I have no idea how old all you are or your health. But, if are looking closer to the setting sun with marginal income, assets, and health. Have no connections or family. Life will be 'Naraka'. This factor was discussed earlier in the forum then dropped off-the-radar'. This can vary state-to-state, community-by-community Coming here for 'Medicare' has some benefits, though it is limited without more money for gap coverage or go broke on Medicaid in a billeted nursing home, drugged into a stupor. You find cheaper and better assisted living, right where you live in Thailand.

Anyway, you might be looking for a Plan B with, at least, a death with dignity. This does happen, right here, in the US. I have a no invention contract with the VA.

I have a good job with full benefits, a wife and family and I am in good health.

7 hours ago, Kim1950 said:

Thailand and my family here has a reason to keep me alive (Pension and other government programs that only pay while I'm alive).  The USA has a reason to want me dead. (Don't have to pay pension and other government programs that only pay while I'm alive).  Isn't the 3rd leading cause of death in the USA doctor error?   Medical error—the third leading cause of death in the US.  http://www.bmj.com/content/353/bmj.i2139

Well the US needs to keep people like me alive to maintain benefits to people like you...

Relocating to the US for five years with my wife would (I believe) benefit me in that my wife could collect my social security benefit after my death.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, mogandave said:

Well the US needs to keep people like me alive to maintain benefits to people like you...

Relocating to the US for five years with my wife would (I believe) benefit me in that my wife could collect my social security benefit after my death.

I believe your wife has to live in the US for 3 years and then she'll be entitled to 75% of your SS benefits after you pass.