The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

Hi

I have been going to Thailand for the last 5 years each winter always using the triple entry visa, and it was as easy as turning up at the consulate in Cardiff and getting just before flying.

I have just noticed this new Multiple entry tourist visa, and the requirements seem a bit extreme!

What do people who are unemployed do? Or people who have quit their jobs to go to asia and just see what happens It seems unlikely most people could get 6 months off their work?

If someone had a friend who runs a business, and they wrote the letter saying they had been employed and would return to work, would that be enough for the consulate? Do they check up on it?

It seems a difficult thing if you want to leave and not come back to your job

Any info greatly appreciated

2 hours ago, robodelfy said:

Hi

I have been going to Thailand for the last 5 years each winter always using the triple entry visa, and it was as easy as turning up at the consulate in Cardiff and getting just before flying.

I have just noticed this new Multiple entry tourist visa, and the requirements seem a bit extreme!

What do people who are unemployed do? Or people who have quit their jobs to go to asia and just see what happens It seems unlikely most people could get 6 months off their work?

If someone had a friend who runs a business, and they wrote the letter saying they had been employed and would return to work, would that be enough for the consulate? Do they check up on it?

A friend who works as an electrician self employed, had to show money 5K for ME. Basically they want to see 5k that is available to draw.

I am going for Multi Tourist and extend for a month at Jontiem lose the extra month as this seems the only way.

2 hours ago, drh1010 said:

The 5k doesn't have to be in your current account. Savings account worked for me.

An account that allows instant access would be acceptable?

This is a problem for quite a few people as they don't bank in that fashion at all. It actually highlights how much of the government works in that it fails to understand how people outside of the kingdom manage their money. Many people have their savings in a state of constant flux and call in debt as and when required. The banks are giving a rotten rate of return and have done for years (forever even) so better to do something with it yourself. If 5k is needed then you just ask a mate (who still uses banking) rather than disrupt the flux. 6 months is a bit long I think.

I've called up L'pool consulate many times over the years and this time it goes to answerphone - due to staff shortages - and you have to leave your name and number. I reach 50yo next May and am looking for an METV to tide me over until then. I always go in person at appointed time and then wonder off to get coffee for myself and another couple of ladies near reception. 30 minutes later walk out after a good chat (not busy) with a triple entry. Last year I went in the morning and flew out in the afternoon.. 270 days I got. I'll find out what they need and report back on it.

I have a fair bit more than 5k in my bank, so no problem showing them that.  It does seem ridiculous though

My question is about employment, what if I have quit my job a few months back and have no plans to return to it?  I dont know whats going to happen in 6 months

Hypothetically speaking, what if you had a friend who ran a business and they wrote a letter for you, would that be acceptable to the consulate or whoever issued the visa?

Thanks

I'll return to Thailand mid Sep, hopefully with a METV. Let's say I get my visa early September, would the visa expire approx. end of February, and would I get another 60 days if I enter before ? I know that I have to leave after 60 days, and I don't do the 30 day extensions, Reason for asking, the just run promotions to HK, and I want to get the dates right.

Embassy want to see a ticket anyway. 

51 minutes ago, jethro69 said:

I'll return to Thailand mid Sep, hopefully with a METV. Let's say I get my visa early September, would the visa expire approx. end of February, and would I get another 60 days if I enter before ? I know that I have to leave after 60 days, and I don't do the 30 day extensions, Reason for asking, the just run promotions to HK, and I want to get the dates right.

Embassy want to see a ticket anyway. 

• It will be valid for 6 months from the date it's issued. e.g. issued 6th September; expiry date 5th March.
  • The expiry date will be printed on the visa as the 'enter before' date.
  • If you enter on or before the 'enter before' date you'll get a full 60 day permit to stay.
  • Any 60 day entry can be extended by 30 days including the last one.

37 minutes ago, notmyself said:

METV will be valid for 6 months from date is issue and you can come and go as you please until that date. It's nothing more than a triple entry with a multiple re-entry permit. Book away I would say.

No you can't. You have unlimited entries, but you can only stay a maximum of 60 days per entry.

7 hours ago, robodelfy said:

I have a fair bit more than 5k in my bank, so no problem showing them that.  It does seem ridiculous though

My question is about employment, what if I have quit my job a few months back and have no plans to return to it?  I dont know whats going to happen in 6 months

Hypothetically speaking, what if you had a friend who ran a business and they wrote a letter for you, would that be acceptable to the consulate or whoever issued the visa?

Thanks

• It's simple, like with any visa, if you can't meet the requirements you can't get the visa.
  • A hypothetical fraudulent employers letter would be accepted.

9 hours ago, elviajero said:

No you can't. You have unlimited entries, but you can only stay a maximum of 60 days per entry.

Member already knows that.....

I know that I have to leave after 60 days, and I don't do the 30 day extensions

52 minutes ago, notmyself said:

Member already knows that.....

Yes they do but I wasn't replying to them. You said they can "come and go as you please" which is not true. You can come as often as you want, but you have to go after 60 days or apply for an extension of stay.

And for the record it is not, as you wrote, "nothing more than a triple entry with multiple re-entry permit". It is a multiple entry visa as opposed to a visa limited to three entries, and it doesn't include a re-entry permit.

4 minutes ago, notmyself said:

Interesting. What can I do with an METV that I could not do with a triple and a multi re-entry permit?

Enter 4 or more times  :rolleyes:

Why would anyone buy a multiple entry re-entry permit with a triple entry tourist visa?

4 minutes ago, notmyself said:

Interesting. What can I do with an METV that I could not do with a triple and a multi re-entry permit?

You could do as many 60 day entries as you wanted to do with a METV. If you could still get a 3 entry visa a a re-entry permit only keeps the 60 day entry from one of the entries valid.

The way I see it the METV almost makes getting a 30 day extension unneeded unless it is for the last entry done on or before the enter before date on the visa sticker.

• Like 1

L'pool consulate called me back and took my email address in which they said....

Hi John

The criteria for a multi entry 6 month tourist visa is as follows:-

Application form (download from royalthaiconsul.com)

2 passport photographs

Last 6 months bank statements showing 5,000 in your account

Passport valid for more than 6 months from date of entry into Thailand

Proof of residency in the UK if not British

Proof of employment letter from employer to show how long you have worked there and that you will be returning to work after your holiday  or  if self assessment - your tax form to show how much tax you have paid for the past year

Proof of flight to Thailand

Confirmation of hotel reservation for your arrival in Thailand

Please note that this visa is for people who are in employment only and will be returning to work after their visit to Thailand

On 03/08/2016 at 0:20 PM, robodelfy said:

Hi

I have been doing the same for many years.

Unless you want to go in and out of Thailand more than twice during your 6 mths then there is absolutely no need or advantage in getting a METV over a SETV except that on your one or two border runs, just as you did with the triple entry TV before (and u must also do with an METV), rather than just doing an in/out border run you must spend at least one night out of Thailand to obtain another SETV at the Thai consulate in the neighbouring country of your choice. All you need is a SETV with none of the ridiculous and extreme requirements of the METV.

It will make little difference to me as I have always regarded my border runs as a liitle holiday break from the Thai routine enjoying a couple of nights savouring the beer Laos. I have also done mini tours exploring Laos entering at one point and exiting at another, and also enjoyed a couple of 1-2 day Laos 'TAT' hiking/sightseeing tours....Once enjoyed a Myanmar visit from Ranong too but its too far to be practical now.

Edited by SunsetT
Clarity

Hi Sunset

Thanks for the info.  For some reason I was under the impression you couldnt just leave and get another SETV, unless that has changed now.

You say you need to obtain an SETV in a neighbouring country. Are you not talking about a visa on arrival....is that something that is still available too?

Maybe you are right though,...but then why does anyone get the METV?

Thanks

34 minutes ago, robodelfy said:

Hi Sunset

Thanks for the info.  For some reason I was under the impression you couldnt just leave and get another SETV, unless that has changed now.

You say you need to obtain an SETV in a neighbouring country. Are you not talking about a visa on arrival....is that something that is still available too?

Thanks

First, make sure you understand the difference between:

• SETV (single entry tourist visa) issued by a Thai consulate outside Thailand: allows a 60-day entry, extendable by a further 30 days without leaving Thailand
  • Visa on arrival, available to a few nationalities who are not qualified for visa exempt entries, and issued at the airport and a few land borders on entry into Thailand: allows a 15-day entry and is not extendable
  • Visa exempt entry, available to nationals of most rich nations, allowing entry without a visa. This allows a 30-day entry (only 15 days if entering by land and not from a G7 country) extendable by a further 30 days without leaving Thailand

The METV provides a lot of flexibility. With few limitations, you can travel freely in and out of Thailand during the validity of the visa without any worries. Visa exempt entries are convenient, but, if you use too many of them, immigration may give you problems. For tourists, multiple SETVs may not be convenient. They require you to go to cities with Thai consulates, and to be there for some number of working days. If, for instance, you wished to go to Siem Reap for a few days and return to Thailand, arranging a visa for your return might be tricky. In practice, even some cities with Thai consulates (such as Kuala Lumpur and Singapore) might well refuse to issue you an SETV which can throw your travel plans into chaos.

In summary, you can have an extended vacation in Thailand and surrounding countries without, but an METV provides peace of mind.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, robodelfy said:

Hi Sunset

Thanks

No I dont mean visas on arrival. SETV's are available and I have seen no reports on here of anyone having a problem leaving and getting an SETV. Here is a recent thread on obtaining one from Savannakhet, Laos:

There was another much longer, helpful and detailed thread on obtaining SETV's from Savannakhet but since the website has changed I cannot find it.

I was advised years ago to stop asking 'Why' about anything in Thailand. It was very good advice. Believe me,  If you dont your head might explode.....:)

Edited by SunsetT
correction

On 14 พฤศจิกายน 2558 at 9:07 AM, bubba said:

I see the Thai Consulate in Washington has now posted their METV requirements for Americans. Yes, the bank balance and employment requirements are there. Regarding the funds, it is interesting that they state "bank balance or evidence of adequate finance", so presumably that could mean monetary assets other than bank accounts, such as accounts at investment firms.

Purpose of Visit: This type of visa is issued to applicants who wish to enter the Kingdom for tourism purposes.
Documents Required:

1. Your actual Passport or Travel Document. (Passport or Travel Document must not expire within 6 months and contain at least ONE completely empty visa page).
2. One visa application form completely filled out  (Download)
3. Two passport-size photographs (2″x2″) (photocopy or photo taken from Photostat will not be accepted). Photographs must have a light color background with a full- face view of the person without wearing a hat or dark glasses and covering up shoulders Photos must be taken within 6 months.
4. Flight confirmation/reservation (The name of the applicant must clearly appear on it)
5. Hotel reservation confirmation (The name of the applicant must clearly appear on it)
6. A copy of bank statement or evidence of adequate finance for the last 6 months with a minimum balance of $7,000 (every months) (The name of the applicant must clearly appear on it)
7. For non-US citizen, a copy of permanent resident alien card or a copy of valid US visa
8. An employment verification
9. For students, full-time student status proof
10.For self-employed, business license or business registration indicating the applicant’s name.
11.For minor under 20 years old, copy of a birth certificate, copies of mother and father’s passports/ID and copy of Marriage Certificate if any, letter of consent from mother and father for the minor to travel abroad in case not accommany with the child (have to be notarized) . in case of sole custody, a copy of court order must be provided

Why an hotel confirmation?

Do they not realise one might be staying with friends or that guest houses are often not on line and do not issue confirmations.

And, do they expect one will stay at the same hotel for the entire 6 months?

Edited by thaibeachlovers

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Are bureaucrats so stupid that they do not realise one might be staying with friends or that guest houses are often not on line and do not issue confirmations.

And, are they so stupid that they expect one will stay at the same hotel for the entire 6 months?

Silly question of course. Yes, bureaucrats ARE stupid.

The law states here in Thailand, unless it has recently changed, that you are supposed to notify immigration if you change to an address that is different to what is stated on your landing card. I doubt many bother but the law says you are/was supposed to do so.

Edited by Ronuk

7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Do they not realise one might be staying with friends or that guest houses are often not on line and do not issue confirmations.

And, do they expect one will stay at the same hotel for the entire 6 months?

• Surely it is perfectly reasonable to ask a 'tourist' for a hotel booking. Most tourists stay in hotels!
  • If you are staying with friends then get a letter from the friend confirming you're staying with them and it's likely to be accepted.
  • It is a multiple entry visa NOT a visa allowing you to stay for 6 months.
  • The visa is aimed at those entering many times during 6 months, especially those living in SEA.

5 minutes ago, hgo said:

How do the embassy handle the employment certificate? Are they doing a detailed follow up by contacting the employer by phone or mail to verify the certificate?

They don't contact the employer.

8 hours ago, elviajero said:
  • Surely it is perfectly reasonable to ask a 'tourist' for a hotel booking. Most tourists stay in hotels!
  • If you are staying with friends then get a letter from the friend confirming you're staying with them and it's likely to be accepted.
  • It is a multiple entry visa NOT a visa allowing you to stay for 6 months.
  • The visa is aimed at those entering many times during 6 months, especially those living in SEA.

Those making short holidays in Thailand are very likely to have hotel bookings in advance. However, many planning long trips around Asia will be unsure of their movements in advance. Frankly, even having to show a flight into Thailand can be very annoying. Those, for instance, whose first stop is Singapore, planning to work their way up through Malaysia into Thailand, and then make side trips to Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar will (if they are me) have no idea of their day-to-day plans after initial arrival in Singapore. The whole idea of an METV should be travel flexibility.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mover1 said:

My 6 month METV runs out on 21/09/16, so if i get a flight back into Thailand on 20/09/16 does that mean i get another 60 days?

Yes, it does. Plus 30 days extension possible.....