The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Registering you marriage at an Amphoe and getting a visa from an embassy are two very separate things. You could stay here after getting married on visa exempt entries if you wanted to.

What you wrote about is getting a single entry non-o visa that allows a 90 day entry and then applying for an extension of stay based upon marriage at immigration which does require 400k baht in the bank or proof of 40k baht income.

Nothing special at Savannakhet to get the multiple entry visa with no financial proof. There are many places that will issue the same visa with no financial proof.

Thanks Joe. So at Savannakhet I could apply for a multiple entry visa like a non-o or tourist? I'm not sure which visa you're referring to.

3 minutes ago, genericptr said:

Thanks Joe. So at Savannakhet I could apply for a multiple entry visa like a non-o or tourist? I'm not sure which visa you're referring to.

Multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage.

4 hours ago, genericptr said:

Thanks that makes sense. Which consulates are "friendly"? I live in Chiang Mai but I was at least planning to visit my dad in Cambodia (fly in to Phanom pen) and I did go to Vientiane once about 5 years ago when I messed up and lost my final entry but that was a land border I believe where Cambodia I flew in although you could cross by land...

Vientiane Laos in a friendly consulate, and the land border at Nong Khai is fine. Phnom Penh is OK for an SETV if you use an agent. If you fly, immigration should be no problem. The land borders between Thailand and Cambodia can be troublesome at times.

In the immediate vicinity of Thailand, the consulates to avoid are Kuala Lumpur and Singapore. The land border to avoid is the one between Thailand and Myanmar. One specific crossing point between Thailand and Malaysia (Sadao) has a reputation of shaking down travelers for bribes. Other locations tend to be fine, certainly for someone like you with few prior visas issued within the region.

On 14/11/2015 at 0:55 PM, jacksam said:

I am not alone in thinking that these requirements are antiquaited and just plain crazy. Time will tell if they relax some of the requirements. Such as job etc. Even funds in a bank is just silly. In meantime thaivisa is a forum to discuss. Sadly many threads have become crazy with nasty posts. Such as send all the dn home etc.

i personally live here on non o so does not effect me. However i believe this metv is not have much common sense. As a result i find it hard to profile a target group it suits

I read the discussions about the METV when it was first discussed here and could not understand what people were complaining about.  While I read posts of people stopped at Immigration and questioned, and in some cases turned away, I have found the visa has made life simple for me.  For someone like me who is aged under 50, retired and likes to come and go from Thailand (and other countries) as he pleases, this visa is great.  I applied for mine in February and have spent 4 of the last 6 months in Thailand and will probably spend another 4 or 5 weeks here.  I come and go, travelling around and it makes things easy.  It was easy to gt and only cost $225.  I don't know why so many people complained abut it.  Maybe the requirements were too onerous for those who complained?  Surely one should be able to demonstrate they are able t sustain themselves in Thailand and are not there to work illegally?  I will go home for Summer, Christmas and New Year and apply for another one in February and repeat the cycle.  To the detractors of the METV, I have no idea what your issue with it is.

4 hours ago, mstevens said:

I read the discussions about the METV when it was first discussed here and could not understand what people were complaining about.  While I read posts of people stopped at Immigration and questioned, and in some cases turned away, I have found the visa has made life simple for me.  For someone like me who is aged under 50, retired and likes to come and go from Thailand (and other countries) as he pleases, this visa is great.  I applied for mine in February and have spent 4 of the last 6 months in Thailand and will probably spend another 4 or 5 weeks here.  I come and go, travelling around and it makes things easy.  It was easy to gt and only cost $225.  I don't know why so many people complained abut it.  Maybe the requirements were too onerous for those who complained?  Surely one should be able to demonstrate they are able t sustain themselves in Thailand and are not there to work illegally?  I will go home for Summer, Christmas and New Year and apply for another one in February and repeat the cycle.  To the detractors of the METV, I have no idea what your issue with it is.

It depends on which country you are owned by (the cattle-brand on your passport), hence where you can apply.  This visa is not available at nearby friendly consulates, it would be fantastic.  Instead, you are expected to "ship your body" in a flying aluminum tube, across the planet, to a particular geographic region, where you application can be accepted, after which you can then "ship your body" back here, where you wanted to be in the first place.

On top of that, the Thai consulates in some countries ask you to "prove you have a job via letter from your employer" to apply - as if someone with a regular-job could take 6 mo off at a time.  In other countries, and/or certain consulates in those countries (the rules may vary at each one), you simply show you have the funds to support yourself, a couple air-tickets, and are good to go.  I would guess you have access to one of the latter consulates - and it sounds like you return to your 'plantation of origination' every year, so it suits your needs and existing schedule.

Edited by JackThompson

Am I correct in thinking that soon, some people who were granted the METV and used it to its maximum potential (i.e. 6 months plus coming in just before final entry date to get another 60 days + 30 days extension at an immigration office) will be at the end of their overall period of stay in the Kingdom from it?

My question is, has anyone yet attempted to get another METV soon after their first one expired?

I guess this would also apply to people who just used it for the 6 months and didn't try and get the extra 60 + 30 days, although if one was to immediately try and get another one, I assume they would have tried to get as much out of the first one as possible.

Perhaps this has been posted elsewhere already but I am sure some people will be interested to know if anyone has any experience of this.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage.

The same non-o they issue here for one entry?? Then that begs the question why you would get the visa in USA and get only the first entry when you could get more in Laos? Maybe it's easier to just show the 400k and not hassle with traveling but most Americans don't have 400k in the bank and if they do they're working hard in the US and obviously not wasting time in Thailand.

6 hours ago, genericptr said:

The same non-o they issue here for one entry?? Then that begs the question why you would get the visa in USA and get only the first entry when you could get more in Laos? Maybe it's easier to just show the 400k and not hassle with traveling but most Americans don't have 400k in the bank and if they do they're working hard in the US and obviously not wasting time in Thailand.

You can also get a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage in the states with no financial proof needed.

Not many embassies and consulates want to see the 400k baht or proof of 40k baht income to get the multiple entry non-o visa. 

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can also get a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage in the states with no financial proof needed.

Not many embassies and consulates want to see the 400k baht or proof of 40k baht income to get the multiple entry non-o visa. 

Thanks again this takes some stress off me.

Hi All,

Is it possible to get a second METV right after your first one expires, or is there a waiting period before you can apply/obtain a second?

Can I apply for/obtain a second one if I'm back home, before my current (first) one expires?

I'm looking to go back to Canada for a couple months; currently have a METV that expires Nov.1st. If I came back after Nov.1 could I apply for and get a second METV while my current one is still valid or do I have to wait until the current one expires??

Looking to book flights soon, so this information is crucial to me booking the return flight back here!

Thank you very much everyone, any and all help is much appreciated!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, donaldinho9 said:

Hi All,

Is it possible to get a second METV right after your first one expires, or is there a waiting period before you can apply/obtain a second?

Can I apply for/obtain a second one if I'm back home, before my current (first) one expires?

I'm looking to go back to Canada for a couple months; currently have a METV that expires Nov.1st. If I came back after Nov.1 could I apply for and get a second METV while my current one is still valid or do I have to wait until the current one expires??

Looking to book flights soon, so this information is crucial to me booking the return flight back here!

Thank you very much everyone, any and all help is much appreciated!

• You should be able to get another METV although it would be entirely down to the Embassy/Consulate where you apply.
  • If you have a valid visa when applying for a new one they will cancel the existing visa when issuing the new one.
  • If the METV doesn't expire until Nov 1st ('enter before' date) you could do a final entry on or before that date to get a final 60 day permit to stay.

• 3 weeks later...

Last year I obtained a multi entry visa from the London Embassy.

I went in on one morning and collected the next.

I needed proof of being in recept of a pension, either a letter from the UK Pension Service or a bank account.

125 quid fee,

I had to be retired.

Completed application form.

2 photos

I did not have to show how much the pension was nor provide evidence of any savings.

Is it still the same?

Thanks in advance.

51 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

Last year I obtained a multi entry visa from the London Embassy.

I went in on one morning and collected the next.

I needed proof of being in recept of a pension, either a letter from the UK Pension Service or a bank account.

125 quid fee,

I had to be retired.

Completed application form.

2 photos

I did not have to show how much the pension was nor provide evidence of any savings.

Is it still the same?

Thanks in advance.

This is the thread for the 6 month multiple entry tourist visa. You are posting your question in the wrong thread. However, in answer to your question, the special UK only rules to issue a one-year multiple Non O visa on the basis of retirement have not changed.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BritTim said:

This is the thread for the 6 month multiple entry tourist visa. You are posting your question in the wrong thread. However, in answer to your question, the special UK only rules to issue a one-year multiple Non O visa on the basis of retirement have not changed.

The heading says METV which I took to stand for Multiple Entry Tourist Visa.

It is a multiple entry visa I was actually inquiring about. The one in which you get 4 ninety day visits in a year which you can eke out to 15 months if you time it right.

Which would be the right thread and how do I transfer it?

1 minute ago, yogi100 said:

The heading says METV which I took to stand for Multiple Entry Tourist Visa.

It is a multiple entry visa I was actually inquiring about. The one in which you get 4 ninety day visits in a year which you can eke out to 15 months if you time it right.

Which would be the right thread and how do I transfer it?

The one-year multiple entry Non Immigrant visa is not a tourist visa.  If you check the London Embassy website, you will see that they are distinct visas. You cannot move your posts between threads. Do not worry about it. Lots of people post in the wrong threads. You have your answer. If you want to confirm it, search for threads on retirement visas from the UK.

• Like 1

Hi, just confirming. 

I got a 6 month multi entry tourist visa.

I can stay for 60 days, and then can extend here for 30 more days, then need to exit and repeat until my "enter before date" at which point I can get my final 60+30 days, right?

16 minutes ago, banagan said:

Hi, just confirming. 

I can stay for 60 days, and then can extend here for 30 more days, then need to exit and repeat until my "enter before date" at which point I can get my final 60+30 days, right?

You got it!

17 minutes ago, banagan said:

Hi, just confirming. 

You do as many entries as want up to the enter before date on you visa. You can get a 30 day extension of the last entry.

Since their is no limit on the number of entries they can do many people with a METV have found it  cost effective to do a border run to get a new 60 day entry than paying 1900 baht for a 30 day extension. Then only getting the 30 day extension for the last entry.

The IMO at Swappy stamped my Departure date on the  white Departure form that  they attach to your passport when you arrive with the same date that I arrived on??? I gather that would be 60 days from that ,date is  when I must leave the country.

48 minutes ago, riclag said:

The IMO at Swappy stamped my Departure date on the  white Departure form that  they attach to your passport when you arrive with the same date that I arrived on??? I gather that would be 60 days from that ,date is  when I must leave the country.

Immigration seldom puts the admitted until date on the departure card since it can change if you get an extension.

You will find the admitted until date on the entry stamp in your passport.

Hi Guys. Wow this has been a long read to try and catch up on as much information as possible in this thread.

It does seem to go back and forth a bit, and as such I wanted to clarify my findings with everyone here.

Details are as follows:

I am planning an extended stay in South East Asia, with Thailand being my home base. I have a girlfriend there (i know, I know, lol) in the Korat region where I will be staying most of the time. I am under 50, not married and not working (digital income), so all of those visas are off the table.

This leaves me with the Visa Exempt Stamp, along with the SETV and METV visas as my go to options.

I am pretty clear on what all those options allow, I am really just trying to work out the costs of each option, to stay for a 9 month (270 day) period (including border runs etc). I know these calculations wont be *to the day* but it should be close enough to get a fairly well educated idea.

The options are:

1) SETV X 3, with each SETV having a 30 day extension (60+30)+(60+30)+(60+30) = 270

2) METV x 1 (extensions), doing 2 x 60 day entries, with each entry having a 30 day extension (60+30)+(60+30)+(60+30) = 270

3) METV x 1 (travel runs), doing 3 x 60 day travel runs with the final entry having a 30 day extension (60)+(60)+(60)+(60+30) = 270

The Attached chart maps the costs of each of these variations. The costs are in $AUD as this is my home currency, however it shouldn't really matter, as long as the cost is the same across all of the options it should give a good base line to work from.

Unless I have calculated it wrong, option 2 - the METV x 1 (extensions) option is cheaper simply due to less travel costs, even with the extra 30 day extension fee.

To offer clarity on my travel costs, I have allowed $300 for each travel run, this is purely an estimate based on a guess of what will be required to get from Korat to BKK, fly to neighboring country, stay a day or 2, fly back and return to Korat. The cost could be lower or higher, but at this stage I don't really know. Unfortunately Korat is kindov out in the middle of nowhere, so it will require quite a bit of travel...

Can anyone offer any constructive feedback, or options I may have missed?

Thanks!

visa data.JPG

The big error I can see is your travel costs for the SETV's or 60 day entries.

You could travel overland to Vientiane or Savannakhet Laos overland from Korat for SETV's (or new entries from the METV).

You can go overland to the Chong Chom in Surin province to do a crossing to Cambodia to get your new entries from the METV.

32 minutes ago, firewight said:

Hi Guys. Wow this has been a long read to try and catch up on as much information as possible in this thread.

It does seem to go back and forth a bit, and as such I wanted to clarify my findings with everyone here.

Details are as follows:

I am planning an extended stay in South East Asia, with Thailand being my home base. I have a girlfriend there (i know, I know, lol) in the Korat region where I will be staying most of the time. I am under 50, not married and not working (digital income), so all of those visas are off the table.

This leaves me with the Visa Exempt Stamp, along with the SETV and METV visas as my go to options.

I am pretty clear on what all those options allow, I am really just trying to work out the costs of each option, to stay for a 9 month (270 day) period (including border runs etc). I know these calculations wont be *to the day* but it should be close enough to get a fairly well educated idea.

The options are:

1) SETV X 3, with each SETV having a 30 day extension (60+30)+(60+30)+(60+30) = 270

2) METV x 1 (extensions), doing 2 x 60 day entries, with each entry having a 30 day extension (60+30)+(60+30)+(60+30) = 270

3) METV x 1 (travel runs), doing 3 x 60 day travel runs with the final entry having a 30 day extension (60)+(60)+(60)+(60+30) = 270

The Attached chart maps the costs of each of these variations. The costs are in $AUD as this is my home currency, however it shouldn't really matter, as long as the cost is the same across all of the options it should give a good base line to work from.

Unless I have calculated it wrong, option 2 - the METV x 1 (extensions) option is cheaper simply due to less travel costs, even with the extra 30 day extension fee.

To offer clarity on my travel costs, I have allowed $300 for each travel run, this is purely an estimate based on a guess of what will be required to get from Korat to BKK, fly to neighboring country, stay a day or 2, fly back and return to Korat. The cost could be lower or higher, but at this stage I don't really know. Unfortunately Korat is kindov out in the middle of nowhere, so it will require quite a bit of travel...

Thanks!

visa data.JPG

The travel costs will obviously vary depending on where you go. However, the most immediate flaw in your comparison is that a border hop to get a further 60-day entry will invariably be cheaper than a visa run, simply because the visa run involves hotel costs.

42 minutes ago, firewight said:
Details are as follows:
The options are:
Thanks!

57d4eb18a3d08_visadata.JPG.7d4083f6bd977d7f149ff1f69ddbf318.JPG

For the METVs your travel costs seem high, border runs are only 2500 baht give or take. Arranged minibuses depending where you are.

5 minutes ago, BritTim said:

The travel costs will obviously vary depending on where you go. However, the most immediate flaw in your comparison is that a border hop to get a further 60-day entry will invariably be cheaper than a visa run, simply because the visa run involves hotel costs.

Thank you. Yes the mini vans are much cheaper, but I'm not a big fan of being crammed in like a sardine.

Just now, firewight said:

Thank you. Yes the mini vans are much cheaper, but I'm not a big fan of being crammed in like a sardine.

I would never recommend that. However, an in/out to get a new 60-day entry can be DMK-KUL back the same day. If you want another SETV (say in Penang) then you are faced with more expensive flights, two nights hotel, and probably agent costs if you want an easy life. That is a big difference.