The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

26 minutes ago, DUS said:

I generally agree with you re the funds etc.

Mind you, when you say 60 - 80 quid for 3 to 4 SETVs, I believe you are wrong as this does not include any costs for travelling 3 or 4 times to a neighbouring country. So, I think if you are in your home country (or can go there every 6-9 months) then the METV is much, much better and cheaper than numerous SETVs.

Do remember both metv & setv allow only 60 days max stay then need exit or pay extension fees.

Still costs every 60days to do border trips for METV so similar applies . £120 is for metv so add all your exit & travel costs to that also ;-)

Edited by BuckBee

SETV i do bus at 500bt each way (bkk to mukdahan), hotel is potentially cheap too if needed , nothing in it really at end of day .

Malaysia can work out cheap for brits & many nationals as visa free entry, flights can be dirt cheap (under £40 return) also train is option .

If you can do border runs yourself it can be cheap, I can get train to poipet for 50 baht but if use visa vans it not that cheap really ;-)
Also depends on your nationality and what you pay for visa entry into other countries.

Edited by BuckBee

I agree with Scuba.... METV is significantly more convenient (for me). No overnights requested, no queuing at the embassies and when you factor in visa costs for Laos, Cambodia etc. this also is a factor (at least when you claim that SETVs are cheaper). 

Anyway, there is no point in arguing about all this. Let´s be happy that we actually have numerous VISA options so everyone can chose what´s best for him/her. I certainly enjoy having the METV though I am most likely going to join TE next year. 

Edited by DUS

^

you pay same visa fees for lao or cambodia to do a re-entry on a metv so very little difference.

metv is indeed potentially more easy in use and flexible but for those who find the requirement hassle setv is cheap & easy .

Edited by BuckBee

12 minutes ago, BuckBee said:

^

you pay same visa fees for lao or cambodia to do a re-entry on a metv so very little difference.

Again, I don´t argue with you on this point (as it is obviously true). But ....

I haven´t had the need to apply for consecutive SETVs yet, but reading TV it seems you are better off at some places compared to others. So what I am doing with my METV is just hopping over to a country where I don´t have to pay any "entry fees" such as Malaysia or SIN. So, if you wanted to, with a METV you can avoid those countries that charge you for entering their countries. 

Again, i will certainly visit Laos and also Cambodia again and happily pay for their visas but as you focussed on the cost between SETV and METV I still think if you want or need to for financial reasons the METV is the cheaper, more convenient and more flexible option....... just imho.....

Edited by DUS

59 minutes ago, jay1980 said:

I got an METV recently without any employment letter, the requirement was an employment letter OR tax return.

I pay tax in my home country on the investment income I have there which is how I support myself in Thailand without the need to work. This income is all above board and was accepted to get my METV which IMO was fair enough.

My tax return from 2005 is still 'in process'

1 hour ago, notmyself said:

My tax return from 2005 is still 'in process'

I just gave them my completed UK tax return forms SA100, SA105 and SA110 that had been completed by my UK accountant. There was no check that they were the actual forms I submitted to the  UK inland revenue, theory I could have just printed out forms and filled in whatever I wanted. In practice in my case they were an exact copy of what I submitted to the UK HMRC so totally legit.

Obviously I can only comment on the UK procedure, if you are from a different country with a different tax return procedure that probably does not help you much!

Edited by jay1980

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

It's pretty futile venting on this thread about METV, it's not as if the authorities are monitoring for valuable feedback. Better to accept it the way it is, flawed, and find an alternative visa. Maybe they will change the visa criteria with any luck.

You're right except for the fact that it is not flawed.

The criteria is obviously designed to make it harder for people to stay long term that don't have the financial means or a reason to go home. The vast number of actual tourists are catered for with the SETV and Visa Exempt Scheme.

You're right except for the fact that it is not flawed.

The criteria is obviously designed to make it harder for people to stay long term that don't have the financial means or a reason to go home. The vast number of actual tourists are catered for with the SETV and Visa Exempt Scheme.

I guess we'll need to agree to disagree. Most people can see why it's flawed, just read this thread.

I guess we'll need to agree to disagree. Most people can see why it's flawed, just read this thread.

It's not flawed, it's aimed at the many 1,000s of Indian & Chinese who currently have to pay 2,000 THB & queue up for 1.5 hours (that's what happened 3 weeks ago when travelling to BKK with my 2 Indian passport holding / Singapore PR holders mates) to get a Visa on Arrival.

If I was in their shoes, I'd pay the 5,000 THB for 1 trip, any trip I make beyond that is a bonus (& we get at least 3 trips in on any given 6 month period).

Contrast that "Target" market with the handful of genuine multi-month tourists from places like the UK who can't get an METV because of insufficient funds in the bank (seriously, how many people are early, less than 50, retirees who don't have at least 6 months spends in the bank)?

Though I do agree the employment proof is frustrating, as somebody has said, you still need to file tax returns on any UK income (there may be a limit of needing to earn £10k income I've always had to file one),so might not need the proof of employment.

Edit: had to repeatedly re-edit the above due to the fact that the upgrade doesn't like you using HTML reserved characters if you edit so "less than 50. Blah blah blah" using the less than sign becomes

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JB300 said:

It's not flawed, it's aimed at the many 1,000s of Indian & Chinese who currently have to pay 2,000 THB & queue up for 1.5 hours (that's what happened 3 weeks ago when travelling to BKK with my 2 Indian passport holding / Singapore PR holders mates) to get a Visa on Arrival.

If I was in their shoes, I'd pay the 5,000 THB for 1 trip, any trip I make beyond that is a bonus (& we get at least 3 trips in on any given 6 month period).

They could pay only 1000 Baht per-trip for an SETV in India, China or Singapore, respectively.  Unless they are planning to visit 4 or 5 times in the next 6 months, it works out in their favor to do so.

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

I think most people that complain about the METV are looking at it the wrong way. It is not meant as a way to stay in Thailand long term. It is designed for visitors, mainly Asians, that visit regularly over 6 months, stay a short time, and return home between visits. The only flaw that exists is in the logic applied by people trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. 

Anyone that wants to stay in Thailand for 6/9 months can do so with 2/3 SETV's. The cost is practically the same as using one METV, and the only difference is the need for 1 or 2 nights in a neighbouring country to apply for the SETV's. As you have to exit every 60/90 days with the METV an overnight stay isn't a big deal.

• Like 1

They could pay only 1000 Baht per-trip for an SETV in India, China or Singapore, respectively.  Unless they are planning to visit 4 or 5 times in the next 6 months, it works out in their favor to do so.

I'll suggest that to them (though nobody likes to visit the Thai Embassy in Singapore) but the point is, if you could get a 6 month pass in your own country for the price of 2.5 times what you pay on Arrival plus have a much easier passage through immigration (the other 3 of us are Brits & were behind a max of 3 people in immigration, all had carry-on only so through to the driver in 10 mins)... What would you choose???
  • Like 1

Contrast that "Target" market with the handful of genuine multi-month tourists from places like the UK who can't get an METV because of insufficient funds in the bank (seriously, how many people are early, less than 50, retirees who don't have at least 6 months spends in the bank)?

Plenty of guys from UK and other countries under 50 with loads of money who would like a METV that caters for them. The self assessment is for people self employed/own company like me. Easy to be wealthy and not have your own company and no employer letter. And don't suggest Elite, not required.
  • Like 2

Plenty of guys from UK and other countries under 50 with loads of money who would like a METV that caters for them. The self assessment is for people self employed/own company like me. Easy to be wealthy and not have your own company and no employer letter. And don't suggest Elite, not required.

Take the "quiz" here... https://www.gov.uk/check-if-you-need-a-tax-return

I & I'm sure many other "Wealthy" under 50s (though I'm 50.5 now) trigger more than 1 of the criteria for needing to complete SA (income from UK property, Taxed income greater than £10,000 & living/working abroad).

My wife and I just got our 6-month multiple entry tourist visas at the Thai consulate in LA. The process was a little different for a married couple than it was for singles. The income requirement was double, the bank statement needed to show both of our names, and we needed to print everything twice like the airline tickets and the hotel reservations. There are a lot of competing facts online about what exactly you need to apply and how much income you need to show. I made an in-depth blog post and video about how we got our visas and in it I talk about the roadblocks we encountered and how I creatively got around them. The coolest part was that they now make it possible to pick up your visa the same day after 3pm. By the way, Thai people are really friendly and cool. Looking forward to spending some time in Chiang Mai starting the 2nd of October. Here's the blog post with video: http://trevorjfenner.com/how-we-got-our-thailand-6-month-multiple-entry-tourist-visas/

Take the "quiz" here... https://www.gov.uk/check-if-you-need-a-tax-return

I & I'm sure many other "Wealthy" under 50s (though I'm 50.5 now) trigger more than 1 of the criteria for needing to complete SA (income from UK property, Taxed income greater than £10,000 & living/working abroad).

I think we all know who needs to do a self assessment. The requirements from the Thai Consulate state a self assessment PLUS Company reg doc if self employed is an alternative to a letter from the employer. Maybe they bend on that but that's what it states. It doesn't say a SA can be used instead of employment letter.

Hi - I'm about to apply for the 6 months METV from Denmark. One of the relevant requirements is this:

"In case of residing with a family, an invitation from the host family along with a copy of their undersigned Thai ID or house registration is required"

Does anyone have any notion what that letter is supposed to look like? Should it be in Thai? Short and sweet or roundabout?

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

25 minutes ago, jackTheRipper said:

Hi - I'm about to apply for the 6 months METV from Denmark. One of the relevant requirements is this:

"In case of residing with a family, an invitation from the host family along with a copy of their undersigned Thai ID or house registration is required"

Does anyone have any notion what that letter is supposed to look like? Should it be in Thai? Short and sweet or roundabout?

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

This letter worked for an METV application for the above requirement recently in the UK, included with it was a copy of a recent electric bill for the given address.

hope that helps

1467240554588.jpg

Edited by jay1980
  • Like 1

Currently I'm in UK and will be applying for METV - I am puzzled by by the different consulate requirements for:

1. Self employed

Hull requires  - ONE form:               "photocopy of Self assessment form SA100 / SA105" 

London requires - TWO forms:       "self assessment form and company registration document

2. Flights

Hull requires  - Onward air ticket FROM Thailand (within 6 months)

London requires - Photocopy of air ticket TO Thailand

The website might not reflect the actual - So wondering if there is a different requirements from each  location?

Does anyone have actual experience of  what was accepted - Flights and self employed?

Thanks Scbascuba3

OK since you are limited company  then Certificate of Incorporation has been used  - Hence sole trader coverage on (London) website and application form has been badly worded - It should not show requirement as "self assessment form AND company registration doc" - And should show: "single form (SA100/105)".

Thanks

Thanks Scbascuba3

OK since you are limited company  then Certificate of Incorporation has been used  - Hence sole trader coverage on (London) website and application form has been badly worded - It should not show requirement as "self assessment form AND company registration doc" - And should show: "single form (SA100/105)".

Thanks

Why do you think they should have asked for a single form SA100 only? My take on it (based on what the form says), if you are employed you need a letter from employer, self employed you need co reg doc and SA100. If not employed/ no employer letter and no co reg doc, then officially they can't issue a METV, but I'm guessing rules may be relaxed I'm not sure.

Thanks Scbascuba3

I am focused only requirements of a sole trader - And why do I think its going to be only the single SA100 for sole trader - The reason is: I could not see any possible documentation that could be used  from HRMC to use as proof for a business existence and there is no legal requirement to register a sole trader as a businesses so I could not work out what the Embassy might be referring to (in the case of a sole trader) that could be provided. There is however a legal requirement for limited company  to have a Certificate of Incorporation and hence this can be provided.

16 minutes ago, spambot said:
Thanks Scbascuba3

I am focused only requirements of a sole trader - And why do I think its going to be only the single SA100 for sole trader - The reason is: I could not see any possible documentation that could be used  from HRMC to use as proof for a business existence and there is no legal requirement to register a sole trader as a businesses so I could not work out what the Embassy might be referring to (in the case of a sole trader) that could be provided. There is however a legal requirement for limited company  to have a Certificate of Incorporation and hence this can be provided.

Good point, let us know how you get on