The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

Briggsy, thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, you are right, the visa exempt route is just not worth the hassle,

Thanks again
Getting an METV isn't straight forward though. Its worth checking your local consulates website to see what their requirements are. I've noticed they don't strictly adhere to the list. The £5k in the bank seems the most important. Letter from employer the least

6 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
13 minutes ago, dsfbrit said:
Briggsy, thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, you are right, the visa exempt route is just not worth the hassle,

Thanks again

Getting an METV isn't straight forward though. Its worth checking your local consulates website to see what their requirements are. I've noticed they don't strictly adhere to the list. The £5k in the bank seems the most important. Letter from employer the least

always been straight forward in london, never had any hassles. in fact reasonably polite and helpful staff.

always been straight forward in london, never had any hassles. in fact reasonably polite and helpful staff.
Depends if you have the correct paperwork? such as letter from employer, SA, co registration. Depends if they stick to their list of requirements. Can't just bowl up and pay the £125

19 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
9 hours ago, samsensam said:

Depends if you have the correct paperwork? such as letter from employer, SA, co registration. Depends if they stick to their list of requirements. Can't just bowl up and pay the £125

Yes, there are some extra documents. In the UK, the quoted extra documents are :-

Bank statement showing £5,000

Letter from employer or self-assessment form

Air ticket to Thailand

Confirmed hotel booking

The important one seems to be the bank statement.

You have also quoted :-

SA. (I don't know what this is.)

co registration (I assume this is company registration.)

I am sure these extra documents do not  relate to METV's.

Edit : SA probably means self-assessment.

Edited by Briggsy

1 minute ago, Yeahbutwhytho said:

Do you need to show the immigration counter in the airport all this stuff aswell? (hotel, bank, plane ticket etc)

No you will not.

At the most they could ask to see the equivalent of 20k baht in cash. But not likely to happen.

The important one seems to be the bank statement.

You have also quoted :-

SA. (I don't know what this is.)

co registration (I assume this is company registration.)

I am sure these extra documents do not  relate to METV's.

Edit : SA probably means self-assessment.

If you haven't got an employment letter i.e. you are self employed, or its your company, your self assessment is required plus Company Registration cert (is listed as a requirement but depends on your consulate). My most recent METV they said no need for Reg cert. Easy for me to take it anyway just in case.

I'm a little confused on the "employment" requirements of the METV. 

• I'm a US national, 40 yo, reside in Florida. 
  • I currently work in the healthcare industry and have been fortunate to do well for myself.  
  • At this point in life, I'd like to consider some extended, possibly multi-year, travel in SE Asia. 
  • Financially, I can certainly show substantial funds in U.S. banks, but wouldn't have a source of employment. 
  • I don't need or want to work any longer.  I don't own a company.  I don't do any kind of blogging, digital work online, or any thing of that nature.  I have no interest in teaching English, scuba diving, or any other such employment in Thailand.
  • Seeming to require "employment" of someone who has the time and financial means to travel for 2-3 years seems odd?  Almost by definition, if you have that kind of time and disposable income, you're not working!
  • Thoughts? How does one work around the "employment" requirement?
Edited by 365Sol

I'm a little confused on the "employment" requirements of the METV. 
  • I'm a US national, 40 yo, reside in Florida. 
  • I currently work in the healthcare industry and have been fortunate to do well for myself.  
  • At this point in life, I'd like to consider some extended, possibly multi-year, travel in SE Asia. 
  • Financially, I can certainly show substantial funds in U.S. banks, but wouldn't have a source of employment. 
  • I don't need or want to work any longer.  I don't own a company.  I don't do any kind of blogging, digital work online, or any thing of that nature.  I have no interest in teaching English, scuba diving, or any other such employment in Thailand.
  • Seeming to require "employment" of someone who has the time and financial means to travel for 2-3 years seems odd?  Almost by definition, if you have that kind of time and disposable income, you're not working!
  • Thoughts? How does one work around the "employment" requirement?
Many people have this same problem, I've seen it mentioned numerous times further up the thread. Consulates don't seem to be sticking to the full list of requirements so if you follow everthing except the employer letter etc then you may be fine. Failing that there's the Elite visa if you plan to stay in Thailand for many years. Costs 500k+, at 40 if i wanted to stay in Thailand I'd get the 1m 20 year option

I did see the Elite Card or whatever it's called, but wouldn't want to be committed to 5 or 10 years as this junction.  My time horizon is more like 2-3 at present.  I can certainly understand a sovereign country, Thailand or any other, wanting to ensure that visitors are capable of financially supporting themselves (and not needing to work in-country).  No objection there.  I just see it as really strange that an individual would have to offer proof of "employment" while at the same time being free to travel for 6+ months.  That's definitely not consistent with the way "employment" works in the U.S., where most employers offer 2-4 weeks of vacation per year, depending on length of tenure with the company.  Even Europe, with its generous vacation, is in the 6-8 week/year range.  So, no problem with providing proof of financial ability, but see the "employment" requirement as out of left field.  The suggestion then is just to try to explain that logic to the Thai embassy?      

I did see the Elite Card or whatever it's called, but wouldn't want to be committed to 5 or 10 years as this junction.  My time horizon is more like 2-3 at present.  I can certainly understand a sovereign country, Thailand or any other, wanting to ensure that visitors are capable of financially supporting themselves (and not needing to work in-country).  No objection there.  I just see it as really strange that an individual would have to offer proof of "employment" while at the same time being free to travel for 6+ months.  That's definitely not consistent with the way "employment" works in the U.S., where most employers offer 2-4 weeks of vacation per year, depending on length of tenure with the company.  Even Europe, with its generous vacation, is in the 6-8 week/year range.  So, no problem with providing proof of financial ability, but see the "employment" requirement as out of left field.  The suggestion then is just to try to explain that logic to the Thai embassy?      
They've heard it all before like we have, I'm not sure banging on about how much money someone has will help. Just do all other requirements, tell them why you haven't got the employment letter and hope for the best

I went through airport immigration the other day with a METV, was all fine except the immigration officer accidentally crossed it out because he thought it was a SETV. He realized his mistake before I did and wrote a little message 'visa still valid' along with his signature on top of the visa and apologized.

Will it still be ok to use?

3 hours ago, 365Sol said:

I just see it as really strange that an individual would have to offer proof of "employment" while at the same time being free to travel for 6+ months.

I imagine that a short letter with an explanation that you wish to travel for an extended period because you're taking time off work would suffice.  Providing proof of substantial funds would be a good way to back this up.  I don't imagine that not being in full-time employment when applying for the METV will be a problem.

8 hours ago, 365Sol said:

I just see it as really strange that an individual would have to offer proof of "employment" while at the same time being free to travel for 6+ months.  That's definitely not consistent with the way "employment" works in the U.S., where most employers offer 2-4 weeks of vacation per year, depending on length of tenure with the company.  Even Europe, with its generous vacation, is in the 6-8 week/year range.  So, no problem with providing proof of financial ability, but see the "employment" requirement as out of left field.  The suggestion then is just to try to explain that logic to the Thai embassy?      

It's not strange, it's very straightforward. They are looking for you to demonstrate a reason to return to your home country, and providing evidence that you have a job or business does that.

The visa was introduced for people that live/work outside of Thailand and want to visit regularly, and go home.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Yeahbutwhytho said:

I went through airport immigration the other day with a METV, was all fine except the immigration officer accidentally crossed it out because he thought it was a SETV. He realized his mistake before I did and wrote a little message 'visa still valid' along with his signature on top of the visa and apologized.

Will it still be ok to use?

Don’t see why you can’t keep using it.

14 hours ago, elviajero said:

It's not strange, it's very straightforward. They are looking for you to demonstrate a reason to return to your home country, and providing evidence that you have a job or business does that.

The visa was introduced for people that live/work outside of Thailand and want to visit regularly, and go home.

Absolutely correct.

I was told at a consulate that their supervising embassy has instructed them, "This is not a backpacker visa."

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lammbock said:

Will I get another 60 days if I re-enter before it expires? e.i. one week before or one day before?

Yes. By re-entering on the day of expiry or one day before, you can stretch the usage of the visa to 8 months. Then getting a 30-day extension at an immigration office you can stretch it even further to 9 months.

• Like 1

Yes. By re-entering on the day of expiry or one day before, you can stretch the usage of the visa to 8 months. Then getting a 30-day extension at an immigration office you can stretch it even further to 9 months.

9 months is only possible if you got the METV around a day before you flew to Thailand

• Like 1

im currently on my 2nd Entry of my 3rd METV in a row (2016, early 2017, late 2017) . Im 26, but look a lot older (~35) 

Yesterday at Malaysian Land Border (1st. Visit) , for the first time i was asked to show 20k Bath and got asked where i stay in Thailand. He didnt seem to be too happy to give me the stamp and looked at my passport for ~1 minute , before i could pass. 

Is it better , to fly in by Air (which airport) 
or do Land Crossings ? 

which documents should i prepare for the next time ? i have the feeling, that any bank statements or business documents from abroad wont really help too much if questioned)
What IF i get rejected the next time, will i be able to purchase a Thailand Elite Card from outside the country/ or have a chance to come back anytime soon ? 

Planning to get a new passport, but will my long stays show up in the system ? 
Is there even a legal way to deny my entry ? 
I know many officers like to claim, that its not allowed to stay more than 180 day as tourist, however Thai Elite Visa allows a Tourist 365 days? 

Thanks for your help. 

12 minutes ago, Austrian26 said:

Yesterday at Malaysian Land Border (1st. Visit) , for the first time i was asked to show 20k Bath and got asked where i stay in Thailand. He didnt seem to be too happy to give me the stamp and looked at my passport for ~1 minute , before i could pass. 

Which crossing?

The border crossings from Malaysia are the worst. Many reports of them asking for the 20k baht.

I suggest you always have the equivalent of 20k baht in cash when doing any entry in case you are asked to show it.

22 minutes ago, Austrian26 said:

What IF i get rejected the next time, will i be able to purchase a Thailand Elite Card from outside the country/ or have a chance to come back anytime soon ? 

I know many officers like to claim, that its not allowed to stay more than 180 day as tourist, however Thai Elite Visa allows a Tourist 365 days? 

Thanks for your help. 

On 12/17/2017 at 7:38 AM, kmw said:

I think the "Elite Team" would have the answers to the above questions... and if they will accept you.

As far as the new Passport is concerned : it will not show  where you have been before.

The Thai Immig will have no clue about where you have been, unless he brings up your file on the computer and if they are up to date, he will see the history of your crossing into and out of Thailand

Edited by bttao

2 hours ago, bttao said:

I think the "Elite Team" would have the answers to the above questions... and if they will accept you (due to age).

As far as the new Passport is concerned : it will not show  where you have been before.

The Thai Immig will have no clue about where you have been, unless he brings up your file on the computer and if they are up to date, he will see the history of your crossing into and out of Thailand

3 hours ago, Austrian26 said:

Is it better , to fly in by Air (which airport) 
or do Land Crossings ? 

You could get questioned or asked to show 20K at either, but you’ve less chance of getting denied entry at an airport.

which documents should i prepare for the next time ? i have the feeling, that any bank statements or business documents from abroad wont really help too much if questioned)

If they want proof of tourism they are looking for hotel bookings, onward flights pocket money (20K). Typical tourist stuff.

Yes.

Yes. 

4 hours ago, Austrian26 said:

There is no published limit. It’s left to the discretion of immigration officers. People stay for years as tourists.

19 hours ago, Austrian26 said:

im currently on my 2nd Entry of my 3rd METV in a row (2016, early 2017, late 2017) . Im 26, but look a lot older (~35) 

That is not uncommon at the Sadao crossing, and has also been reported more recently at the Pedang Besar crossing.  Sadao was infamous for wanting a bribe for each entry-stamp, then got busted by Bangkok (twice), so began enforcing the "show the money" rule on multiple visa/entry types as retribution.

Although Thailand is generally a more modern country with a friendly general population, it is best to treat border-crossings as if you are entering a primitive country. 

Thai immigration "law" requires a specific reason for denying entry.  Unless you fit into one of those categories, you cannot be legally-rejected.  In almost all cases, "not having the money" is the official-reason used.  In a few cases, "intending to work illegally" is used.

But "Legal" may not be ultimately relevant to outcome.  If an IO wants to deny you entry, he can make up a reason to make it "appear to be legal."  As cops in my passport-country (USA) are fond of saying, "I can come up with 100 reasons to put you in jail." 

The equation is "Human + Uniform = Power-Trips and/or Corruption" - absent a strict chain of command and supervision.  Given the inconsistencies and reported behavior, each checkpoint and immigration office seems to have limited supervision. 

Is it better , to fly in by Air (which airport) ... I know many officers like to claim, that its not allowed to stay more than 180 day as tourist ...

If denied in an airport, you would be detained until leaving on a flight returning to where you came from (which you will purchase at last-minute prices).  In most cases, people are questioned, but not denied-entry.

For many airports, there are "denial of entry" reports for those on Tourist-type entries, including Tourist Visas and visa-exempt entries.  Most times, these are for "not having the cash."  Note that in airports, you will not be permitted to access an ATM if asked to "show the money" - making 100% clear that this is not an actual test of your financial-means. 

Officers at airports have been reported to claim that all sorts of non-existent rules exist.  You could be denied-entry for one of these non-existent rules - though they will write a "real rule" as the reason in you passport.

I have only seen one case reported where a person with a Tourist Visa PLUS 20K Baht was denied-entry.  I have not seen bad-reports (even harsh questioning) of people entering with a Tourist Visa at Chang Mai airport - so maybe they are more relaxed there.

or do Land Crossings ? 

At all land-crossings, if denied-entry, you just walk back and cancel your exit-stamp from the last country and go from there - no detention or last-minute flight purchases.  If asked to "show the money" at a land-border, you can go get it from an ATM and return.  The only "don't go there" crossing is the Aranyaprathet/Poipet entry-point (as bad or worse than airports).  The only points where "show the money" is reported are from Malaysia. 

When I was staying in Thailand most of the time using Tourist Visas, I found land-crossings to be a No Stress experience, vs the nervous-uncertainty of air-entries.  I never used airports to enter the country - though did use them for domestic-flights.

By land, these are unnecessary, but I used to carry them "just in case."  Even by air, if you have "the cash" - you will likely be admitted (only one case otherwise reported in years), though your financial documents could bolster your case.

Worst case - highly unlikely - they might deny entry by pretending that you came here to work as an under-the-table / no-work-visa domestic-servant or physical-laborer - even though arriving with an Austrian passport.  To sum up the absurdity, they need to "protect Thai workers" from low-wage competition from Austrians, flying to Thailand to earn 3rd-world illegal-alien pay.  Meanwhile, they allow literally millions of foreign-laborers to come in on work-visas from very poor countries. 

If they cared about a few English teachers or dive-instructors - the only jobs you might be likely take illegally - they could catch violators red-handed on the job much more easily than trying to read the minds of thousands at points of entry.

.. Thai Elite Visa allows a Tourist 365 days?

If you have 500K+ to spend on a temporary visa - the Elite Visa is a brown-envelope so thick, that it is "legalized".  It makes a mockery of the entire "visa" system by it's very existence, and fills powerful pockets, such that no border-guard will dare give you any grief.  Even though you might be flat-broke after buying it, no further financial-tests will be applied (as they are with annual extensions of stay). 

Well-heeled "bad guys" and wealthy honest people alike can use these to pay off immigration-corruption with a lump-sum, rather than deal with it in shorter, less-expensive increments and/or deal with entry-questioning. 

One could speculate that poor-treatment of those with Tourist-type entries at airports is part of a scheme to sell more Elite visas.  They are not market-priced, vs other country's much less expensive visa/stay options in SE Asia - and if not willing make a market-reasonable offer, the only way to sell something is via methods like: "Nice condo / life you've got in Thailand, there.  Shame if something were to happen to it.  Maybe buy some 'insurance'?"

Thanks for your help.

You are welcome.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JackThompson said:

When I was staying in Thailand most of the time using Tourist Visas, I found land-crossings to be a No Stress experience, vs the nervous-uncertainty of air-entries.  I never used airports to enter the country - though did use them for domestic-flights.

I'm on a METV and got a bit of a grilling by the IO at Phuket airport in November, asking if I worked here, etc. I have a lot of stamps in my passport, even though it's a new one I got in the summer of 2016 (I've spent most of the time in Thailand since May 2015). Anyway, because of my experience in November I avoided flying to KL or Singapore and instead went over to Myanmar by boat. I was in Myanmar for about 5 minutes and got stamped on re-entry, no questions asked. I'll be doing it again on my next 'run' as it was super easy and actually quite an enjoyable experience.

So yeah, I echo your thoughts.  

• Like 1