The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

39 minutes ago, aaron80k said:

Thank you very much.  I have a follow up question:

When applying for METV, requirement states that I show proof of flight out of Thailand.  Can I assume that after 60 days, I can get a 30 day extension, and thus purchase an outward airline ticket that is 90 days from entry? 

As they told you, wrongly, extensions are no longer available, AND they highlight that the maximum stay per entry is 60 days, I suspect that they’re expecting an onward flight within 60 days.

If so you could by the cheapest flight you can find to anywhere.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2019 at 9:21 AM, Briggsy said:

However, I believe it is related to Thai Elite. The sale of Elite visas has rocketed since it has become very onerous to live in Thailand on METV's/SETV's. 

How do you know this? (that sales of Elite have skyrocketed)
Though I would not be surprised at all if this is the case.

On 7/20/2019 at 1:02 PM, kmw said:

Don't actually need to pay iglu

Are you sure about that? I've contacted Iglu before and asked what the minimum revenue I'll have to push through them and was told $3000 a month. I guess they lowered it to $2500/mo since but I'd assume they'll start asking questions if there's no revenue coming in.

18 hours ago, aaron80k said:

Hi,

I am a US citizen, and currently in Korea visiting family.

I called the Thai Royal Embassy in Korea to inquire about Multiple Entry Visa.   

When I asked about the 1 month extension after the 60 day initial stay, they said they no longer give extensions.

Is this true? 

Do you also have Korean citizenship? If not you can most likely not get a METV there.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

How do you know this? (that sales of Elite have skyrocketed)
Though I would not be surprised at all if this is the case.

In the early days, they released the figures. They were laughably low.

Lately, a number of people I know have moved on to the Elite. So my evidence is only circumstantial. However, I am convinced by it. 

Perhaps, Thai Privilege Card Co. Ltd release figures (but I doubt it) or the published financial statements may give more concrete evidence.

2 hours ago, aaron80k said:

When applying for METV, requirement states that I show proof of flight out of Thailand.  Can I assume that after 60 days, I can get a 30 day extension, and thus purchase an outward airline ticket that is 90 days from entry? 

Actually a hotel booking within the 60 days outside of Thailand is enough. The flight (at least in Germany) relates to your flight back to your home-country. Note however, that the visa `starts` with the day, where you apply for it. So if you apply 1month before your actual flight you loose that month.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2019 at 6:46 AM, aaron80k said:

I called them, with exactly that specific question, and they said it's O.K to have an ticket scheduled within 8 months (reenter before the visa expires & 60 days), didn't ask for the other 30 days extension. I don't really expect them to stick to it.

In the past I was always fine with an ticket just to Phnom Penh or Manila, which I'll probably get anyway, to get a bit less of stressful time in Thailand and more quality time elsewhere.

I'm also planning to reduce my usual 10 months in Thailand to somewhat 7-8.

I would also take a flight to my home country, but most sites I was looking now let you only book 1 year in advance, so that makes it a bit difficult now.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ThaiRebound said:

When someone has had 2 SETV's, 1 METV, then will use there 2 yearly visa-exempt 30 day's -- and all consecutively -- how likely is it they can get another METV or SETV again and be allowed in? Is this ridiculously risky? Thanks!

Whether you will get the METV/SETV depends on where you apply. Some nationals, with friendly Thai embassies in their home countries, can easily get back-to-back METVs, others cannot.

If you have been in Thailand for long periods with tourist entries, you risk being denied entry if flying in to most of the major airports. If entering by land at most crossings, you will currently be OK. Two crossings that should be avoided are Poipet and Padang Besar.

Any advice on such matters is subject to change without prior notice.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BritTim said:

If you have been in Thailand for long periods with tourist entries, you risk being denied entry if flying in to most of the major airports. If entering by land at most crossings, you will currently be OK. Two crossings that should be avoided are Poipet and Padang Besar.

@BritTimas you quite often mention Padang Besar. Can you please specify that? They are strict with the documents, 20k proof and 1night in Malaysia before heading back. Apart from that, there a no scam issues like in Poi Pet right? I ask, as I havn`t read about any weird stories in PB (apart from their strict rules)

Edited by SpanishExpat

Some additional questions are:

1. If you are denied entry with your SETV or METV, would you still be able to enter with a visa-exempt 30 days?

2. If I had used my 2 visa-exempt entries already, would I have another option, such as to try from a different border?

3. Is it ever or even typically the case to receive a passport-stamped ban of some amount of time?

Thank you

2 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

No more 30 days extensions on a METV?

Since When?

The other poster was told by his embassy that extensions are not available anymore. elviajero wanted to say that this information is wrong.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TaaSaparot said:
On 7/23/2019 at 6:32 AM, elviajero said:

As they told you, wrongly, extensions are no longer available

No more 30 days extensions on a METV?

Since When?

I didn’t say that. You’ve part quoted a full sentence.

They are still available.

On 7/23/2019 at 5:46 AM, aaron80k said:

Last time I got an METV (UK,2016) I submitted evidence of a flight out of Thailand six months after my first arrival (I always have a return ticket when visiting Thailand, always 4+ months).

No problem getting METV.

I will be doing the same this year.

10 hours ago, ThaiRebound said:

Some additional questions are:

1. If you are denied entry with your SETV or METV, would you still be able to enter with a visa-exempt 30 days?

2. If I had used my 2 visa-exempt entries already, would I have another option, such as to try from a different border?

3. Is it ever or even typically the case to receive a passport-stamped ban of some amount of time?

Thank you

1. If they deny you entry with a visa, they most certainly will not give you a visa exempt entry at the same entry point on the same day.

2. When denied entry, you always have the option to try again on a different day, and/or at a different entry point. The chance of success will depend on where the original denial occurred, and the reason for the denial.

3. If you are blacklisted from Thailand, there will usually be a stamp in your passport indicating the number of years you are blacklisted for. This is a serious matter that does not occur simply because you are denied entry for "too many tourist visas".

• Like 1

Hi BritTim, thank you!

Getting blacklisted would suggest you have done something wrong/illegal in the country (which I haven't), but does it happen for reasons that border patrol "feels" the person has entered too many times on a tourist visa or some arbitrary reason like that? Also, is there any distinction of riskiness with the Nakhon Phanom border crossing? If one were denied entry with an SETV, say, at that border, and assuming they weren't blacklisted, would they be ok trying the next day at that border, better off trying at another border -- basically, could they get back in eventually somehow?

8 minutes ago, ThaiRebound said:

but does it happen for reasons that border patrol "feels" the person has entered too many times on a tourist visa or some arbitrary reason like that?

Not border control is denying people, but immigration police. They can't blacklist you because you didn't break any law. They don't even void a tourist visa, so if somebody is denied at an airport he can use the same visa to enter at a land border crossing.

8 minutes ago, ThaiRebound said:

If one were denied entry with an SETV

When talking about land borders, it looks like only Poipet is giving people problems (and Padang Besar in some rare cases). Any other land border crossing (where it's technically possible to enter for us foreigners) will allow you to enter, there is no risk to be denied entry.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

Hi. This is a SETV question so hope ok here. I have had 3 METV's in the last 2 years so this time coming from Australia to Thailand I came on a SETV. My plan was to marry my long term Thai girlfriend and I bought air tickets for us to go to Ho Chi Minh and get a Multi Entry based on marriage. I have been trying to organize the marriage certificate for weeks but has turned into a lengthy process. The tickets to Vietnam are for next week and am thinking of going there anyway for a holiday. My SETV does not expire till the1st of September so do you think an immigration officer would look kindly on me that I had the visa and left early and now want to come back on a visa free entry? I also vaguely remember Ubon Joe telling me years ago I could get a 'reentry permit before I left but not sure. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-J730F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

12 minutes ago, Chrisdoc said:

Hi. This is a SETV question so hope ok here. I have had 3 METV's in the last 2 years so this time coming from Australia to Thailand I came on a SETV. My plan was to marry my long term Thai girlfriend and I bought air tickets for us to go to Ho Chi Minh and get a Multi Entry based on marriage. I have been trying to organize the marriage certificate for weeks but has turned into a lengthy process. The tickets to Vietnam are for next week and am thinking of going there anyway for a holiday. My SETV does not expire till the1st of September so do you think an immigration officer would look kindly on me that I had the visa and left early and now want to come back on a visa free entry? I also vaguely remember Ubon Joe telling me years ago I could get a 'reentry permit before I left but not sure. Thanks.

First, make sure you understand the difference between the visa (and its expiry date) and your permission to stay (and the admitted until date).

Using a re-entry permit to prevent the cancellation of your permission to stay should work fine. Just be sure you are not assuming it changes the original admitted until date.

Returning through an airport, requesting a visa exempt entry with your history is asking for trouble. You may get lucky, but you certainly risk a denied entry. If you want to get a visa exempt entry, return overland through a friendly land border. Two options:

• Fly to Vientiane and cross the Friendship Bridge to Nong Khai.
  • Overland via Cambodia to Koh Kong, entering Thailand at Hat Lek, Trad province.
  • Like 1

First, make sure you understand the difference between the visa (and its expiry date) and your permission to stay (and the admitted until date).

Using a re-entry permit to prevent the cancellation of your permission to stay should work fine. Just be sure you are not assuming it changes the original admitted until date.

Returning through an airport, requesting a visa exempt entry with your history is asking for trouble. You may get lucky, but you certainly risk a denied entry. If you want to get a visa exempt entry, return overland through a friendly land border. Two options:
  • Fly to Vientiane and cross the Friendship Bridge to Nong Khai.
  • Overland via Cambodia to Koh Kong, entering Thailand at Hat Lek, Trad province.
Thanks Tim. I do understand about the visa expiry date. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my SM-J730F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

55 minutes ago, sampson said:

How long before expiry can you go to immigration and get an extra 30 days?

My latest stamp is up on the 25th, am i able to go now and extend or it is only possible closer to the time?

There is no published rule. Most offices will let you apply within the last couple weeks.

5 hours ago, sampson said:

How long before expiry can you go to immigration and get an extra 30 days?

My latest stamp is up on the 25th, am i able to go now and extend or it is only possible closer to the time?

Some will do it, some, if busy, may ask you to come back in the last week. Apparently a little pleading or explanation can work too. 

12 minutes ago, Mansinthe said:

So i have a METV - O .(im married , but not retired)

METV stands for Multiple Entry Tourist Visa.

You have a "multiple entry non-immigrant O visa", this is a different kind of visa.

Just open a new thread for your question, then this thread here doesn't go off-topic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mansinthe said:

My current stamp says i need to leave by 9th October. I will go back to Germany with my wife by the end of October.

I did never do a VISA extension, where do i need to go in BKK to do that and what do i need?

The immigration office is in the Government Complex in Chaengwattana.

http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/location1.html

You can get a 60 day extension to visit your wife (1,900 baht). You’ll need;

• Original marriage certificate plus signed copy.
  • Signed copies of wife's ID and Tabien Baan.
  • Signed copies of your passport pages: ID page, visa, entry stamp, departure card.
  • 1 x photo 6 x 4.
  • Your wife will need to be with you.
  • Maybe they will want form TM30. This is the form used by the Owner/House-master to report that you are staying with them.

Do i need to make a appointment or could i just show up there?

Just show up.

3 hours ago, Mansinthe said:

Alternatively i could go to Myanmar  for a visa run with my wife since we will be in chiang rai / mai for a few days before i would have to extend my Visa.

If you will be near Mae Sai (Northern part of Chiang Rai province) a border bounce for a fresh 90-day entry is probably easier (and cheaper) than an extension of stay. If you have US dollars, you can get a border pass to cross into Myanmar and return for US$10 (otherwise 500 baht). You need only your passport, a pen to write with, and the money for the border pass.

Are there any new rules limiting the number of tourist visas a person can enter with in either a calendar year or within a year of receiving one?

Is it advisable to rotate among the different Thai Consulates when obtaining new tourist visas to increase the likelihood of approval? of pass at the border?

If one were denied entry with an METV or SETV visa, what would be the best course of action to increase the chance of entry, in your estimation?

30 minutes ago, ThaiRebound said:

Are there any new rules limiting the number of tourist visas a person can enter with in either a calendar year or within a year of receiving one?

Is it advisable to rotate among the different Thai Consulates when obtaining new tourist visas to increase the likelihood of approval? of pass at the border?

If one were denied entry with an METV or SETV visa, what would be the best course of action to increase the chance of entry, in your estimation?

There are no official rules limiting the number of entries people can make when they hold a tourist visa from a consulate. There are clearly some unofficial rules being applied at some entry points into Thailand. Others have tried to enumerate what they might typically consist of, but I think it depends too much on the individual immigration official to say anything other than long stayers on tourist visas need to be very careful.

Getting tourist visas in countries that do not border Thailand, especially from your home country, probably helps in some cases. I doubt if switching between Malaysia, Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar helps much. Anyway, whatever you do, the rules applied by some immigration officials are liable only to look at "how many for how long", not "where from".

At the current time, enter at most land borders (exceptions Poipet and Padang Besar). Be prepared for land borders, even with visas, possibly becoming more strict in the future. If you really must stay in Thailand for an extended period, look for an alternative to tourist visas.