The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

31 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

If this is your first METV and you've never stayed in Thailand before then you will have zero problems. Don't let this forum scare you, the people who have problems on re-entry are usually pushing the system for years and eventually run into an immigration officer on a bad day. Just avoid common mistakes and very unlikely you will be denied entry at airports OTHER THAN DMK - avoid DMK.

By common mistakes I mean things like same-day or 1-day visa run by air - ideally you should leave the country for at least a few days between entries as that helps show that you are a genuine tourist and not working in Thailand. And of course - DON'T work in Thailand, lol.

yes first METV and first time in Thailand...

thanks for the advice - really appreciate it!

7 hours ago, themorrow said:

what documents will I need? When I first landed in Thailand I expected to be grilled but all they asked for was my passport (with the METV in it)...

IO’s rarely grill tourists other than those spending too much time in the country claiming to be tourists.

The documents you need depend on where you apply. Mostly you will just need the application form and copies of your passport and departure card. These days some offices are insisting your stay is been registered by the hotel/guesthouse, owner, house-master or possessor at the property you’re staying at when you apply for an extension. That can be problematic for some.

7 hours ago, themorrow said:

can I not fly back into Thailand? Am I supposed to just stay in Thailand for 6 straight months doing border runs every 60 days? Asking because I was thinking of going to Kuala Lumpur for a few days at the end of this month (at this point I've been in Thailand for 5 weeks). Ideally I'd like to stay "based" in Thailand but do short trips every month or so...

Of course you can fly in/out. The METV is meant for people that want to exit/enter frequently during 6 months.

On 6/13/2019 at 4:43 AM, themorrow said:

can I not fly back into Thailand? Am I supposed to just stay in Thailand for 6 straight months doing border runs every 60 days? Asking because I was thinking of going to Kuala Lumpur for a few days at the end of this month (at this point I've been in Thailand for 5 weeks). Ideally I'd like to stay "based" in Thailand but do short trips every month or so...

On your first and 2nd entry, there is little chance of a problem flying in, provided you have 20K Baht worth of cash, proof of a flight out in 60-days, and proof of where you will be staying.  After that, you need to be more careful.

It is illegal for them to deny entry to you for "spending too much time" or "not being a real tourist" - since there is no time-period or definition of "real tourist" in the law.  But what is widely reported, is they tell you they are denying your entry for an illegal reason - too much time in Thailand - then stamp some legal reason which doesn't apply to you in your passport about not having shown proof of money to support yourself in the country for the next 60-days (since that is the maximum permitted stay you could receive). 

There is no point explaining that you have obeyed the laws and rules, any more than reciting the law to a mugger in an alley or a mafia-man's muscle who just broke your leg.  They have the power, know exactly what they are doing, and don't care about "the law," beyond using a lying-stamp to avoid admitting on paper they are flagrantly breaking it.  Once you realize what you are dealing with at entry-points that are dishonest, you can make better decisions about where to enter the country, based on your visiting history. 

The METV is Designed to allow repeat 60-day stays for 6 months - with the last entry for an additional 60-days right at the end of the 6 months, if desired.  Each entry is Designed to be extended for 30 days, at immigration's discretion, and these extensions are almost never rejected.  They wrote these rules - not us.  We do nothing wrong by obeying their rules.

The only problem is that some entry point personnel don't respect the law or the visas issued by their own government - so you have to be careful to avoid the bad-apples.  Corruption is rampant with immigration, and no loot to be gained via tourist visa users, so it is clear what the motivation is.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2019 at 10:31 PM, elviajero said:

IO’s rarely grill tourists other than those spending too much time in the country claiming to be tourists.

The documents you need depend on where you apply. Mostly you will just need the application form and copies of your passport and departure card. These days some offices are insisting your stay is been registered by the hotel/guesthouse, owner, house-master or possessor at the property you’re staying at when you apply for an extension. That can be problematic for some.

Of course you can fly in/out. The METV is meant for people that want to exit/enter frequently during 6 months.

you dont need jack flying into thailand with a valid visa. its a done deal.

Hello. I have metv already. I have a question about enter before date on visa. 

It is written on my visa 19.09.2019 as enter before. This means I can enter the kingdom on 19.09.2019 as last day , or my last entry day by using my visa is 18.09.2019. I’m confused about that date and don’t want to make mistake. Thanks for answers.  

10 minutes ago, kiever said:

Hello. I have metv already. I have a question about enter before date on visa. 

It is written on my visa 19.09.2019 as enter before. This means I can enter the kingdom on 19.09.2019 as last day , or my last entry day by using my visa is 18.09.2019. I’m confused about that date and don’t want to make mistake. Thanks for answers.  

Last date you can enter is 19.09.2019. "Before" here has a non standard meaning. You might anyway want to enter a day early, just in case of some unexpected problem disrupting your travel plans.

I am American. One of the requirements is:

"8. A letter proof of employment ( **we don’t accept pay stubs**)"

and

"10.For self-employed, business license or business registration indicating the applicant’s name."

and I have neither of these things.

I trade cryptocurrency and stocks. I have earned more than enough and have more than enough in savings to fulfill the requirement.

What would be an acceptable way for me to prove this to Thai Immigration?

Would they take a bank statement with all of the payments from cryptocurrency Exchanges?

Thanks in advanced.

Edited by Travello01

1 minute ago, Travello01 said:

One of the requirements is:

and

"10.For self-employed, business license or business registration indicating the applicant’s name."

I trade cryptocurrency and stocks. I have earned more than enough and have more than enough in savings to fulfill the requirement.

Would they take a bank statement with all of the payments from cryptocurrency Exchanges?

Thanks in advanced.

Depending on where you are applying, there may be no solution. Some embassies will accept your most recent tax assessment as proof of self employment.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Depending on where you are applying, there may be no solution. Some embassies will accept your most recent tax assessment as proof of self employment.

Good idea, thanks. I just happen to have a copy of State and Federal already printed.

I think I will use that & the deposits I've received from exchanges.

I'd rather not have to scurry around and create a shell company just to apply considering the entire point is to prove that I will have enough money to support myself.

If anyone else can add another solution or suggestion that will increase my odds I'd love to hear it.

34 minutes ago, Travello01 said:

I am American. One of the requirements is:

and

Thanks in advanced.

What if you tell them you're retired so unable to provide either of these?  Retired folk can be regular tourists too.

Edited by treetops

24 minutes ago, treetops said:

What if you tell them you're retired so unable to provide either of these?  Retired folk can be regular tourists too.

I have a decent amount of money in the bank, but not enough to retire on.

I'm under 40. So they probably wouldn't buy it, but it's technically true, I guess.

I've been calling them since they claim to have opened for the day, but nobody is picking up.

Edited by Travello01

That doesn't help though, some offices are more flexible than others. I've read that some offices will just except the bank statement

10 hours ago, Travello01 said:

I've been calling them since they claim to have opened for the day, but nobody is picking up.

METV's are issued by Consulates and Embassies in your home country. Are you phoning Thai Immigration? If so, you are wasting your time. You need to phone the consulate or embassy you intend to get the visa from.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
21 hours ago, treetops said:

That doesn't help though, some offices are more flexible than others. I've read that some offices will just except the bank statement

If the reply is along the lines of retired folk don't need to provide these documents then it'll help considerably IMO.

On 7/4/2019 at 8:45 PM, treetops said:
On 7/4/2019 at 9:30 AM, scubascuba3 said:
On 7/3/2019 at 11:05 PM, treetops said:

If the reply is along the lines of retired folk don't need to provide these documents then it'll help considerably IMO.

It varies by consulate - but I would bet most would accept proof of a pension in lieu of a job.  Others would accept proof of plenty of money w/o either.  But, again, varies by consulate, as each is free to make up its own rules, it seems.

Hey!

I was also almost denied entry on METV in Bkk. It is my second one after few months break in my country in EU. IO said I need to change visa to non 0 immigration (which I am pretty sure I can't get, I don't meet requirements) or I can get deported. That next time I will not be allowed in.

1.Above the entry stamp it was written TR0066, is that some kind of a code signifying that I rather not try to enter again?

2. If I fly in from neighbouring country when doing visa run and am denied exit, do I need to return back to that same neighbouring country, or back to my home country in Europe?

Am I just denied entry or I get some penalty/ get blacklisted?

Thank you!

Edited by Wizzy
Text mistake

50 minutes ago, Wizzy said:

1.Above the entry stamp it was written TR0066, is that some kind of a code signifying that I rather not try to enter again?

TR is the code for Tourist Visa. No idea what the 0066 means.

51 minutes ago, Wizzy said:

2. If I fly in from neighbouring country when doing visa run and am denied exit, do I need to return back to that same neighbouring country, or back to my home country in Europe?

They will send you back to the same neighbouring country.

You are just denied entry and the deportation isn’t recorded formally as a deportation. No blacklisting and you will be able to attempt entry again in the future.

Hey!

I was also almost denied entry on METV in Bkk. It is my second one after few months break in my country in EU. IO said I need to change visa to non 0 immigration (which I am pretty sure I can't get, I don't meet requirements) or I can get deported. That next time I will not be allowed in.

Thank you!

Maybe try for the Non O or Non O-A then they will stop harassing you

17 hours ago, Wizzy said:

Probably your flight number if it's written above the entry stamp, maybe you can check again (their handwriting can be hard to decipher).

On 7/9/2019 at 1:32 PM, Wizzy said:

Hey!

Thank you!

if you dont pass through immigration they cant make you go to a specific destination as long as you leave via flight from the airport and the country has a visa on arrival so the airline can let you board, for one thing you may not be able to afford the ticket back to the original location.

Edited by fhickson

On 6/6/2019 at 9:16 PM, Briggsy said:

I was denied on a brand new METV from the UK. I provided all the documentation required (proof of funds, UK employment, return flight, hotel booking). This was not even considered by Suwannaphum immigration. I was swiftly denied entry with no discussion.

METV's are now fair game for denial. Use a land entry.

how did you exit? did they require you to fly to a specific location or use a specific airline out or change the date on your return ticket home?

43 minutes ago, fhickson said:

if you dont pass through immigration they cant make you go to a specific destination as long as you leave via flight from the airport and the country has a visa on arrival so the airline can let you board, for one thing you may not be able to afford the ticket back to the original location.

They can and do insist where you fly to. It’s the airlines responsibility that flew you in to fly you out again.

1 hour ago, fhickson said:

how did you exit? did they require you to fly to a specific location or use a specific airline out or change the date on your return ticket home?

Discussed already on multiple threads. You'll find it. "By plane; yes; yes; yes" is the short answer to your 4 questions.

4 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Discussed already on multiple threads. You'll find it. "By plane; yes; yes; yes" is the short answer to your 4 questions. 

We had reports by people who were allowed to fly to somewhere else, so it depends.