The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

8 hours ago, ultramarine said:

I'm thinking of coming to Thailand for a few months this winter.  I have been coming for the past six years and staying for 4-6 months,  mostly with METVs.  I've had no issues in the past.  I'm Canadian.  But a couple of posts here have me wondering if I can do this again.  My passport is full of Thai, Lao and Cambodian visas. 

What are the chances that an IO is going to refuse me entry at Suvarnabhumi because "you come here too much" or some such?  Or at some border crossing when I do a border bounce to re-enter for the next 60 days? 

I know there is always a chance of getting an IO in a bad mood, but this year it seems like it is becoming a problem. 

There is a very good chance that you will have no problem, at worst nothing more than a few questions. However, in the current climate, there is no guarantee when entering at Suvarnabhumi. If you can fly via, say, Kuala Lumpur on the way to Thailand (without significant inconvenience and cost) it may be worth it. Then, if denied entry, you will almost certainly be returned to Kuala Lumpur, and can enter Thailand via a safe land border crossing. I would risk flying direct, though, if it saved a lot of money and/or aggravation.

6 hours ago, BritTim said:

There is a very good chance that you will have no problem, at worst nothing more than a few questions. However, in the current climate, there is no guarantee when entering at Suvarnabhumi. If you can fly via, say, Kuala Lumpur on the way to Thailand (without significant inconvenience and cost) it may be worth it. Then, if denied entry, you will almost certainly be returned to Kuala Lumpur, and can enter Thailand via a safe land border crossing. I would risk flying direct, though, if it saved a lot of money and/or aggravation.

Thanks for your input.

So you would agree that the denial of entry risk is increased this year.  Wow.  Strange given the fall in tourist numbers.  You'd think they would be less aggressive.  Maybe they will relax about it during high season. 

And just FYI, I last exited Thailand in late January 2019.   So they couldn't really suspect me of working there.  Lots of farang just come to spend the winter, or part of it.  Why should this suddenly be a suspicious or bad thing?  It's nuts.  I've been coming every winter since 2012. 

It's just bizarre how they can issue visas which are not then honored.  It is making me think twice about even coming to Thailand. 

If I do end up coming, I would just fly into BKK and take my chances. 

Alternatively, would my chances improve if I came with a SETV or even with just a visa exempt stamp?  I don't necessarily need to stay for six months this time so a shorter visit would also be worthwhile for me, especially if I knew my chances of refusal at the BKK would be less. 

Any thoughts on that?  Thanks.

5 hours ago, ultramarine said:

Alternatively, would my chances improve if I came with a SETV or even with just a visa exempt stamp?  I don't necessarily need to stay for six months this time so a shorter visit would also be worthwhile for me, especially if I knew my chances of refusal at the BKK would be less. 

A visa exempt entry would be much worse than coming with a visa. An METV is somewhat better than an SETV, though an SETV from home country is more likely to be honoured than one issued in a country neighbouring Thailand.

16 hours ago, BritTim said:

A visa exempt entry would be much worse than coming with a visa. An METV is somewhat better than an SETV, though an SETV from home country is more likely to be honoured than one issued in a country neighbouring Thailand.

Makes sense.  Thanks again. 

Just out of curiosity, how does the new TM 30 requirement factor into the METV?  If I rent an apartment or condo for, say, three or four months, then I will have to leave Thailand within 60 days and then re-enter.  Would the TM 30 have to be filed by the landlord within 24 hours after I returned from a foreign trip?  And if no TM 30 was filed, when might an IO alert me to the problem and possibly fine me? 

1 hour ago, ultramarine said:

Would the TM 30 have to be filed by the landlord within 24 hours after I returned from a foreign trip? 

By law, yes. But whether it’s required will be down to your local office.

1 hour ago, ultramarine said:

And if no TM 30 was filed, when might an IO alert me to the problem and possibly fine me? 

They won’t alert you, it would only be discovered if you had dealings with the local office or they visited (unlikely) you’d condo. They would only fine you if they considered you the Possessor of the property (max 2,000 baht.)

47 minutes ago, elviajero said:

By law, yes. But whether it’s required will be down to your local office.

They won’t alert you, it would only be discovered if you had dealings with the local office or they visited (unlikely) you’d condo. They would only fine you if they considered you the Possessor of the property (max 2,000 baht.)

How about if I did a couple of border hops but didn't notify immigration but then on my third and final border hop I got my landlord to notify then 60 days later I went to Chaengwattana for a 30 day extension? Would I be fined for the previous failure to notify or would that be overlooked because the most recent one is in order?

10 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

How about if I did a couple of border hops but didn't notify immigration but then on my third and final border hop I got my landlord to notify then 60 days later I went to Chaengwattana for a 30 day extension? Would I be fined for the previous failure to notify or would that be overlooked because the most recent one is in order?

I’ve never heard of retroactive fines. They are only likely to want to see a TM.30 for the last arrival/stay at the current address given on your extension application form.

8 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

The logic of being in Thailand as a tourist is that you are moving around. When you have dealings with the local immigration office, they only want to verify that the TM30 was filed for your current arrival in your area. A rare rogue office may want to investigate if you were in violation of TM30 rules elsewhere, but only if they are angling for some money under the table.

2 hours ago, Nordude said:

Anyone know if I can apply for a new METV before the other one has expired? I'm going home for Christmas, and was thinking about getting a new METV while I'm there. The one I have expires the 20th of January.

Should be no problem. The consulate will cancel the old one.

• Like 1

Hi guys, 

Did 2 SETV on top of each other and then a border run: ~ Aug 2018 to 31 May 2019. On my second entry in Thailand (first SETV in my home country and the second one in a short visit in Vietnam) I got detained/questioned but allowed entry. 

Am I pushing my luck doing an METV in Jan 2020? (Would be 6 months and 15 days since left Thailand). 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, aldriglikvid said:

Hi guys, 

Did 2 SETV on top of each other and then a border run: ~ Aug 2018 to 31 May 2019. On my second entry in Thailand (first SETV in my home country and the second one in a short visit in Vietnam) I got detained/questioned but allowed entry. 

Am I pushing my luck doing an METV in Jan 2020? (Would be 6 months and 15 days since left Thailand). 

You are very likely to be OK. However, even with an METV, there are no guarantees. If you plan making full use of the METV, at least plan (after your first entry) to do border bounces at friendly land border crossings. Avoid airport arrivals (though airport departures are fine).

• Like 2

METV requirements seem to be:

1 If employed, a letter from employer confirming that you are employed by them.
or
2 If self-employed, copy of your HMRC SA100 or SA105 Self Assessment Tax Form for the latest tax year.
or
3 If retired (at any age) and receiving a State or Private Pension, confirmation of receiving such pension by providing a copy of the Pension Statement or similar which must bear the applicant’s name and address.

I decided to retire early last year and am not receiving any state or private pension at present.    I live off rental income and investment income, a lot of which is in an ISA, so isn't on the Self Assessment Form.   Whilst my income is perfectly satisfactory, I don't fall into anyone of the 3 nice categories above.   The most recent self assessment is for a period when I was employed (tax year ending in April 2018).

Has anyone had success with METV applications, without fitting into one of the above categories ?   

It would be perfectly possible to have several million in the bank, yet not meet the above requirements.     I don't have that much, but am perfectly solvent.

Edited by jaizan

6 minutes ago, jaizan said:

I decided to retire early last year and am not receiving any state or private pension at present.    I live off rental income and investment income, a lot of which is in an ISA, so isn't on the Self Assessment Form.   Whilst my income is perfectly satisfactory, I don't fall into anyone of the 3 nice categories above.   The most recent self assessment is for a period when I was employed (tax year ending in April 2018).

If you complete your 2018/19 tax return online you'll have the required self employed documents. I don't think they are bothered by the level of income.

With that and the bank statement they should issue the visa.

6 minutes ago, jaizan said:

It would be perfectly possible to have several million in the bank, yet not meet the above requirements. I don't have that much, but am perfectly solvent.

With millions in the bank you could buy a Privilege Entry visa.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2019 at 3:43 AM, jaizan said:

METV requirements seem to be:

1 If employed, a letter from employer confirming that you are employed by them.
or
2 If self-employed, copy of your HMRC SA100 or SA105 Self Assessment Tax Form for the latest tax year.
or
3 If retired (at any age) and receiving a State or Private Pension, confirmation of receiving such pension by providing a copy of the Pension Statement or similar which must bear the applicant’s name and address.

Has anyone had success with METV applications, without fitting into one of the above categories ?   

It would be perfectly possible to have several million in the bank, yet not meet the above requirements.     I don't have that much, but am perfectly solvent.

you could get a shell company or llc online, a business license through the state and use that as employer.

but its a lot of work just for as visa but it is possible...if you have the money and time to play with it.

HELP PLEASE! Wish I had seen and read the above experiences before I tried for an e-visa

Have successfully registered for my e-visa online and after several, no, many attempts to enter first my p/p pics + other document requests the total number of tries has reached 10 at which point they have locked me out!

My situation is this; I have been visiting Thailand twice a year(usually for more than 60 days) on a METV for the last decade. I am retired with a state pension + company pension (will say not large enough sum to reside. My wife has a very good Thai state pension I might add) We married three years ago and a visa has been no problem in the past. Should i have applied for a tourist visa based on a retired person with a UK pension as opposed to my recent application for being married? Can't find anywhere on this e-visa application how to do this. I initially entered I was married so, can I now change this to a tourist visa? but, as I wrote earlier is has now blocked me so; Would they now let me ( as I have already registered online) to make a personal application to Hull with the required documents. 

I have already purchased my flight tickets and time is ticking. I thought that as in past years the process of obtaining a visa for a retired person would be straightforward as before. Wish I knew about the new process beforehand. 

Thanks guys

2 hours ago, ricky2002 said:

HELP PLEASE! Wish I had seen and read the above experiences before I tried for an e-visa

Have successfully registered for my e-visa online and after several, no, many attempts to enter first my p/p pics + other document requests the total number of tries has reached 10 at which point they have locked me out!

My situation is this; I have been visiting Thailand twice a year(usually for more than 60 days) on a METV for the last decade. I am retired with a state pension + company pension (will say not large enough sum to reside. My wife has a very good Thai state pension I might add) We married three years ago and a visa has been no problem in the past. Should i have applied for a tourist visa based on a retired person with a UK pension as opposed to my recent application for being married? Can't find anywhere on this e-visa application how to do this. I initially entered I was married so, can I now change this to a tourist visa? but, as I wrote earlier is has now blocked me so; Would they now let me ( as I have already registered online) to make a personal application to Hull with the required documents. 

I have already purchased my flight tickets and time is ticking. I thought that as in past years the process of obtaining a visa for a retired person would be straightforward as before. Wish I knew about the new process beforehand. 

Thanks guys

I am guessing that you have been applying for Non Immigrant O visas (probably multiple entry) in the past, rather than a multiple entry tourist visa, but it is not relevant at this point.

Do you live near one of the honorary consulates? The easiest solution would be to contact your nearest consulate, and arrange to get a single entry Non O visa to visit your wife. With prior arrangement, they can give you the visa while you wait. That avoids all this hassle with the so called "e-visa" system.

Where in the UK do you live?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ricky2002 said:

Thanks for reply Tim. Yes I would be happy to travel to Hull even 'tho I live in S/Beds. but I'm concerned that now I have registered at London can I now apply to Hull?

There is no problem applying in Hull in spite of your failed attempts at an application in London. You should, I believe, email Hull attaching copies of the documents you will be bringing with you, and confirm a time for your visit to them.

• Like 1

Hi! I have some questions about what is really needed to get a Multiple Entry Tourist Visa. I understand that it might differ on different embassies etc. 

I will cut in the text directly from 2 different embassies underneath as they are not equally worded. 

1. Would the 200 000 baht, have to be untouched in my account for the last 6 months or is it ok if you have 200000 baht in the account sometime during the last 6 months? Would it be ok to show that you have the founds in a thai bank (I have only installed the mobile app and could therefore, not print that out as a proof ( maybe take a screenshot and print that would be sufficient?))

2. Do you need to be employed at the moment or would it be enough with paper stating that you will start work on that or that day?  

3. Is proof of accommodation needed for more than the first night of arrival?

I read from one embassy: 

• Financial evidence e.g. original bank statement of the applicant showing a balance of at least £5,000 (for 6 months) or a print out with official stamp of the bank
  • A letter from the applicant's employer (in the UK and addressed to the Royal Thai Embassy)
            If you are self-employed, you self-assessment and a company registration document are required.
  • Travel booking confirmation
  • Proof of accommodation in Thailand e.g. hotel booking, invitation letter from family or friend in Thailand

And at another embassy:

1. A bank statement showing deposit account (CASH ONLY) with an amount of at least 57 000 SEK (200 000 baht) in the past 6 months.
  2. An employment certificate in English from an employer mentions the applicant's job position, salary, the purpose of visiting Thailand, and the date when the applicant is expected to return to work. For self-employed, Please submit the business license or business registration indicating the applicant's name. For a student, please submit an original certificate of student status in English from the school, college, or university. In the case of unemployment, you are not eligible to apply for this visa.
  3. A copy of the hotel/Accommodation reservation in Thailand. (showing your name, date of arrival and departure and full address of hotel reservation) OR if the applicant stays at a friend's house, please submit a letter of invitation, a copy of the friend's ID card or passport and a copy of house registration or leasing contract.
Edited by 12Gon
Aesthetics

On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 3:43 AM, jaizan said:

Snap, my last full year of employment was to April 2018. A short term health issue, and planned downsize at my Co. drove my early retirement, decision.

One product I looked at was Fixed Term annuities, to provide a regular income over a couple of years at a time. I would only of done one, if I had plenty cash left that I could not potentially fit in an ISA, as there rates are still quite low (kinda like paying for a standing order in advance, but getting slightly negative interest on the deposit).

The early retirement did not leave me with such a large free cash surplus though!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 12Gon said:

Hi! I have some questions about what is really needed to get a Multiple Entry Tourist Visa. I understand that it might differ on different embassies etc.

Yes, it depends entirely on which Embassy or consulate you're applying with. But the one I used in the UK definitely needed to see the full 6 months of bank statements with the balance never falling below £5000.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, UKresonant said:

Snap, my last full year of employment was to April 2018. A short term health issue, and planned downsize at my Co. drove my early retirement, decision.

One product I looked at was Fixed Term annuities, to provide a regular income over a couple of years at a time. I would only of done one, if I had plenty cash left that I could not potentially fit in an ISA, as there rates are still quite low (kinda like paying for a standing order in advance, but getting slightly negative interest on the deposit).

The early retirement did not leave me with such a large free cash surplus though!

Annuities are usually terrible value for money, but I guess the damage might not be too bad if you can find one that pays out over a short period.      I don't think I would be trying that in order to get a METV.

• Like 1

Hello to all,

This is my first ever message on the forum! I am a little bit overwhelmed by all the information available so I thought it would be maybe easier to ask questions directly. I am sorry if the questions have already been answered somewhere.

I am a 27yo French citizen and I want to move to Thailand. I thought going on a METV first (so I could travel out of the country), before finding a job there and then getting a work visa.

My first question is regarding the financial requirements. Do I really need to prove I had 5000€ each month on my bank account for the past 6 months?

Also, when applying to the METV, do I already need a return flight? Or the first flight out of Thailand?

I thought the METV would give me some flexibility and time before finding a job, but I am getting a bit scared by the list of requirements.

I wonder if I should just opt for the SETV instead but as I understand, I would need a return flight to France when applying. The thing is, I do not plan on going back to France anytime soon.

Many thanks for your help and clarifications.

1 hour ago, marionfrenchy said:

Hello to all,

This is my first ever message on the forum! I am a little bit overwhelmed by all the information available so I thought it would be maybe easier to ask questions directly. I am sorry if the questions have already been answered somewhere.

I am a 27yo French citizen and I want to move to Thailand. I thought going on a METV first (so I could travel out of the country), before finding a job there and then getting a work visa.

My first question is regarding the financial requirements. Do I really need to prove I had 5000€ each month on my bank account for the past 6 months?

Also, when applying to the METV, do I already need a return flight? Or the first flight out of Thailand?

I thought the METV would give me some flexibility and time before finding a job, but I am getting a bit scared by the list of requirements.

I wonder if I should just opt for the SETV instead but as I understand, I would need a return flight to France when applying. The thing is, I do not plan on going back to France anytime soon.

Many thanks for your help and clarifications.

The Paris embassy is known to be strict in their conditions for granting tourist visas.

In general, most consulates would want to see an onward flight out of Thailand, but not necessarily a flight back to France. Thus, a flight to, say, Ho Chi Minh City (an interesting city to explore) would be accepted. Paris might refuse to accept this. I would advise you to check with them directly.

On financials for the METV, I would expect Paris to be inflexible. At many consulates, if you have well over the minimum €5,000, they would often waive the requirement for a large balance every month. That said, the financials is the most important condition to be satisfied for the METV.