The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

33 minutes ago, BritTim said:

The Paris embassy is known to be strict in their conditions for granting tourist visas.

In general, most consulates would want to see an onward flight out of Thailand, but not necessarily a flight back to France. Thus, a flight to, say, Ho Chi Minh City (an interesting city to explore) would be accepted. Paris might refuse to accept this. I would advise you to check with them directly.

On financials for the METV, I would expect Paris to be inflexible. At many consulates, if you have well over the minimum €5,000, they would often waive the requirement for a large balance every month. That said, the financials is the most important condition to be satisfied for the METV.

Many thanks for your answer Tim.

I will ask the Paris embassy then. I expect to have over 5000€ by the end of the year, but they will be split on different bank accounts, and I don't know if that would be acceptable for the visa application.

11 hours ago, BritTim said:

That said, the financials is the most important condition to be satisfied for the METV.

So, with the above statement. Would a large amount in the bank be enough to qualify for a METV even if I don't have an employment at the moment?

Of course together with a flight ticket back to my country.

Edited by 12Gon

1 hour ago, 12Gon said:

So, with the above statement. Would a large amount in the bank be enough to qualify for a METV even if I don't have an employment at the moment?

Of course together with a flight ticket back to my country.

It depends on the consulate where you are applying. In many cases, the answer seems to be yes (assuming you are talking a really substantial sum).

My mom has come in with a 6 month holiday Visa and as we know she has to go out before 60 days but she's 91 so I want to rather change her visa to retirement but I can't open a bank account, so does anyone know someone who can assist with this without charging me the earth. Preferably in Pattaya but not a problem if its somewhere else. She's been here 30 days so I've got about 25 days to do this. Thanks in advance. 

29 minutes ago, luis888 said:

My mom has come in with a 6 month holiday Visa and as we know she has to go out before 60 days but she's 91 so I want to rather change her visa to retirement but I can't open a bank account, so does anyone know someone who can assist with this without charging me the earth. Preferably in Pattaya but not a problem if its somewhere else. She's been here 30 days so I've got about 25 days to do this. Thanks in advance. 

Immigration can give you a proof of address. Then just take it to any Kasikorn bank or another if you prefer. Otherwise I have the number of a great agent on Kao Talo. Just helped my friend get a driving license and not expensive. 

Otherwise take a trip to Savnnakeht. I don't believe that you need financial proof there.

Edited by Bartman1369
Add more information

41 minutes ago, Bartman1369 said:

Immigration can give you a proof of address. Then just take it to any Kasikorn bank or another if you prefer. Otherwise I have the number of a great agent on Kao Talo. Just helped my friend get a driving license and not expensive. 

Otherwise take a trip to Savnnakeht. I don't believe that you need financial proof there.

Thanks for your input, yes I think an agent might be the way to go, I'd appreciate the agent in Kao Talo number. Thank you 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys

I am from Amsterdam, and am sorry but am a bit rushed so I will just drop my situation here.

Want to apply for a METV, I have quit my job officially at 29 November. 30 november I will go to thailand, want to stay 7-9 months with a METV.

Do I have to show a proof of employment in Den Haag / Holland? Because officially  I will be unemployed. Ofcourse, I can just ask proof of employment to my current boss.

Thanks!

5 hours ago, E020 said:

Hi guys

I am from Amsterdam, and am sorry but am a bit rushed so I will just drop my situation here.

Want to apply for a METV, I have quit my job officially at 29 November. 30 november I will go to thailand, want to stay 7-9 months with a METV.

Do I have to show a proof of employment in Den Haag / Holland? Because officially  I will be unemployed. Ofcourse, I can just ask proof of employment to my current boss.

Thanks!

Depends on the embassy or consulate but I was told in the UK that the letter needed to state I would still be employed when I returned from Thailand.

You definitely can't get an METV if you're unemployed.

Edited by edwardandtubs

22 minutes ago, sampson said:

What's the "safest" entry point with Malaysia?  Read a few bits about Pedang Besar not being the friendliest? Will be flying to Penang from the Uk and heading up to Samui

Based on recent reports, just coming up through Sadao by bus or shared taxi seems OK. Make sure you have the 20,000 baht equivalent in cash to show if asked.

Sadao has sometimes been problematic in the past, and there is a small chance they could take a turn for the worse again. However, alternatives like boat from Langkawi are a hassle I would not personally want to endure unless there were sudden reports of issues at Sadao.

8 hours ago, E020 said:

At most consulates when applying for an METV, the only non negotiable requirement is the financials. However, unless you are absolutely loaded, they also will want some objective evidence that you are unlikely to want to stay in Thailand working illegally. The employment letter (stating you are returning to an existing job) is one way of demonstrating this. Another is if you can show you are retired and have adequate funds. They will also be satisfied if you are self employed with a good income.

If your employer is willing to write a short latter like:

This is to confirm that <your name> is employed by <company name>. He is intending to take a leave of absence beginning November 28 2019 to travel in South East Asia, including Thailand. The company is aware of these plans and has no objection.

it ought to satisfy the authorities, and is not an outright lie.

13 hours ago, BritTim said:

At most consulates when applying for an METV, the only non negotiable requirement is the financials. However, unless you are absolutely loaded, they also will want some objective evidence that you are unlikely to want to stay in Thailand working illegally. The employment letter (stating you are returning to an existing job) is one way of demonstrating this. Another is if you can show you are retired and have adequate funds. They will also be satisfied if you are self employed with a good income.

If your employer is willing to write a short latter like:

it ought to satisfy the authorities, and is not an outright lie.

Thank you so much ( and all others who replied on me).

I have a letter now of my current boss that says I am working at at their company .

As CEO I can confirm that thrtyrty is currently working for our company as a werwerwer and is part of the team which develops in our werwerwerqwe. If you have any questions about our company or qweqweqw you can contact us by e-mail ([email protected]) or telephone.

would this be enough? I edited some data ofcourse in the text haha. Its complete with the sign of my boss and housestyle letter of my company . Thanks BritTim!!!

On 10/29/2019 at 4:17 PM, E020 said:

Thank you so much ( and all others who replied on me).

I have a letter now of my current boss that says I am working at at their company .

As CEO I can confirm that thrtyrty is currently working for our company as a werwerwer and is part of the team which develops in our werwerwerqwe. If you have any questions about our company or qweqweqw you can contact us by e-mail ([email protected]) or telephone.

would this be enough? I edited some data ofcourse in the text haha. Its complete with the sign of my boss and housestyle letter of my company . Thanks BritTim!!!

Possibly not enough. It should be clear that you have permission to take leave in Thailand and will still be employed on your return to Holland.

17 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

Possibly not enough. It should be clear that you have permission to take leave in Thailand and will still be employed on your return to Holland.

Great. Then I will add this also to the text.

Hello!

I want to get my second METV and to come to Thailand in December. I got first METV in November 2018, left Thailand last day of July, having one stay extension done in Bangkok Immigration Centre. No overstay etc. I spent around 197-8 days in total in Thailand this year (2019 yr). In 2018 it was just two times, first time ever for holiday in May, then since 20 November starting my METV visa.

I left Thailand first of August 2019.  

QUESTION:
Do you think it will be safe to fly this year or should I wait a bit?I keep hearing about rejecting people at the BKK airport, even with valid METV. I'm considering getting ED visa alternatively. In generl, I'm planing to get ED in few month, but would like to have a good base to travel for few months before I start ED in Thailand. Any advice will be truly appreciated. 

Edited by JasperB

59 minutes ago, JasperB said:

Hello!

I want to get my second METV and to come to Thailand in December. I got first METV in November 2018, left Thailand last day of July, having one stay extension done in Bangkok Immigration Centre. No overstay etc. I spent around 197-8 days in total in Thailand this year (2019 yr). In 2018 it was just two times, first time ever for holiday in May, then since 20 November starting my METV visa.

I left Thailand first of August 2019.  

QUESTION:
Do you think it will be safe to fly this year or should I wait a bit?I keep hearing about rejecting people at the BKK airport, even with valid METV. I'm considering getting ED visa alternatively. In generl, I'm planing to get ED in few month, but would like to have a good base to travel for few months before I start ED in Thailand. Any advice will be truly appreciated. 

With your history, entering via one of the Bangkok airports with an METV, you would be very unlucky to be denied entry, but it is definitely possible. Several members here will be cheering Immigration on to prevent you entering on a tourist visa.

Based on prior experience, there are completely safe ways of entering Thailand with an METV and your history, but they involve hassle and cost.

The very safest is to arrange to enter Thailand through most land crossings. A good example is flying to Kuala Lumpur, on from there to Vientiane, and crossing the Friendship Bridge to Nong Khai.

Historically, you would also be OK flying in to a handful of airports, notably Chiang Mai. This is not quite as safe because of the consequences if policies at the airport changed.

One dubious idea which has occurred to me and others is to fly into Bangkok, but with an onward flight booking for the following day out of Thailand (i.e. claiming you are arriving in Thailand only in transit) then "changing your mind" about taking the connecting flight. Immigration is unlikely to deny you entry under those circumstances unless they smell a rat.

Ultimately, it is a risk benefit analysis with no clearly right answer. Good luck!

Edited by BritTim

23 hours ago, BritTim said:

Based on prior experience, there are completely safe ways of entering Thailand with an METV and your history, but they involve hassle and cost.

What are those? Land-crossing isn't rather an option for me as I will be departing from Europe and I would like to avoid travelling to other country first (Vietnam, Laos etc).

7 minutes ago, JasperB said:
23 hours ago, BritTim said:

What are those? Land-crossing isn't rather an option for me as I will be departing from Europe and I would like to avoid travelling to other country first (Vietnam, Laos etc).

What you are saying is that you want a safe solution without extra hassle and cost. Sorry, but for those who want to spend long periods in Thailand as tourists, the simple, lowest cost methods are no longer safe.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BritTim said:

What you are saying is that you want a safe solution without extra hassle and cost. Sorry, but for those who want to spend long periods in Thailand as tourists, the simple, lowest cost methods are no longer safe.

Yeah, I noticed that. Thank you. 

10 minutes ago, aldriglikvid said:

In your experience, do the consulate call to verify any of the documents? More specifically the appendix of employment. 

No. As long as you provide the documents that satisfy their tick list they will issue the visa.

1 hour ago, randymarsh said:

Why would you get rejected if you have a valid METV?

Because the immigration official disagrees with the embassy's decision to issue you the METV. If it happens, you need to find a different entry point where the immigration official has a different opinion.

35 minutes ago, randymarsh said:

If you fly in from UK and they reject your visa at Suvarnabhumi, either METV or SETV, do they make you fly back to UK?  How does it work? 

They can insist you go back to the UK. Usual practice is to send you back to where you came from.

It is the responsibility of the airline that carried you to take you back. If you can convince immigration and the airline otherwise you might be able to fly elsewhere. 

35 minutes ago, randymarsh said:

Who pays for the flight back?  Or can you just fly to somewhere like Nam instead.

It's the airlines responsibility to fly you out again. They will charge you the cost.

1 hour ago, randymarsh said:

Do you still have to apply for an METV in your own country (UK?), or is it now possible to apply from Laos, Vietnam etc.  Ask as I am travelling in on a SETV but if possible, might move onto an METV after that without coming home.

The METV is only available from your home country, or a country where you are a legal resident.