The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

On 8/9/2019 at 10:23 AM, BritTim said:

Getting tourist visas in countries that do not border Thailand, especially from your home country, probably helps in some cases. I doubt if switching between Malaysia, Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar helps much. Anyway, whatever you do, the rules applied by some immigration officials are liable only to look at "how many for how long", not "where from".

At the current time, enter at most land borders (exceptions Poipet and Padang Besar). Be prepared for land borders, even with visas, possibly becoming more strict in the future. If you really must stay in Thailand for an extended period, look for an alternative to tourist visas.

Thanks, BritTim, as always. I am mid-40's and don't know of a good option for staying which doesn't involve joining a martial arts school in Chiang Mai (I don't wan't to stay in Chiang Mai; I am settled in Udon), getting married, or getting double-taxed by both Thailand and the US if I do the gov't business scheme. If you -- or anyone else -- has reasonable suggestions, I'm all ears!

I have to return to my home country (US), anyway, so I am thinking the best option might be to get the METV, fly into Laos, and cross by land. How does that sound as options go?

1 hour ago, ThaiRebound said:

I have to return to my home country (US), anyway, so I am thinking the best option might be to get the METV, fly into Laos, and cross by land. How does that sound as options go?

Good short term plan. If you end up married to a Thai, as I am sure you are aware, it gives you other options.

Update (I'm an EU citizen):

Dear Mr Xxx,

If you will be in Australia on a tourist visa, you are not eligible to apply for a METV in Australia.
We suggest you apply in your home country.

Kind regards,
Royal Thai Consulate, Perth Staff

Ground Floor
28-42 Ventnor Avenue
West Perth, WA 6005
Postal Address: PO BOX 848, West Perth, WA 6872
Tel: (08) 9226 2288
Email: [email protected]

On 8/5/2019 at 2:32 PM, elviajero said:

The immigration office is in the Government Complex in Chaengwattana.

http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/location1.html

You can get a 60 day extension to visit your wife (1,900 baht). You’ll need;

• Original marriage certificate plus signed copy.
  • Signed copies of wife's ID and Tabien Baan.
  • Signed copies of your passport pages: ID page, visa, entry stamp, departure card.
  • 1 x photo 6 x 4.
  • Your wife will need to be with you.
  • Maybe they will want form TM30. This is the form used by the Owner/House-master to report that you are staying with them.

Just show up.

Really? With a METV but being married you can get a 60 day extension from immigration instead of the usual 30 days? Never heard that before. Anyone else can confirm this to be true?

53 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Really? With a METV but being married you can get a 60 day extension from immigration instead of the usual 30 days? Never heard that before. Anyone else can confirm this to be true?

If married to or the parent of a Thai it is possible to apply for a 60 day extension for any type of entry to visit them.

Some offices will even do the 60 day extension after the standard 30 day extension of a visa exempt or tourist visa entry has been done.

36 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Some offices will even do the 60 day extension after the standard 30 day extension of a visa exempt or tourist visa entry has been done.

Interesting. Which offices? Bkk & Jomtien?

Edited by bbi1

Hello. I'm going to apply at the Chicago Thai Embassy for a METV based on marriage. My wife is currently in Thailand. I see the documents required include a "certified" copy of my wife's Thai id and passport. What does certified mean to the embassy? I have copies of both but no special certification. They're just photocopies.

10 hours ago, JCP108 said:

Hello. I'm going to apply at the Chicago Thai Embassy for a METV based on marriage. My wife is currently in Thailand. I see the documents required include a "certified" copy of my wife's Thai id and passport. What does certified mean to the embassy? I have copies of both but no special certification. They're just photocopies.

Firstly, you are not applying for a ME tourist visa, you are applying for a ME Non O visa.

"Certified" just means that your wife has signed them. This is routine practice with such copies in Thailand. The only annoyance is that a scan of the signed documents will likely not be accepted. You will need to have the signed documents sent to you by post or courier.

12 hours ago, JCP108 said:

There's no such thing as a METV based on marriage. It's a tourist visa. You don't need your wife's Thai ID & passport. I suggest you re-read the documentation required on their website for a METV.

16 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Certainly Bangkok. No sure about Jomtien.

I would presume it's the same risk for re-entering Thailand via the airport with a METV that has been extended for 60 days via showing marriage as someone who isn't married? Possible of being rejected at the airport with a few METV's already?

2 hours ago, bbi1 said:

I would presume it's the same risk for re-entering Thailand via the airport with a METV that has been extended for 60 days via showing marriage as someone who isn't married? Possible of being rejected at the airport with a few METV's already?

Impossible to say. I would guess being married and having your Thai wife on the other end of the phone ready to speak with Immigration officers would decrease the risk of denial of entry. Also carry your marriage documents as further evidence. Ultimately if they make the decision to deny entry, it will be made in a short time with very little input from you. So, it is out of your control.

9 hours ago, BritTim said:

Firstly, you are not applying for a ME tourist visa, you are applying for a ME Non O visa.

"Certified" just means that your wife has signed them. This is routine practice with such copies in Thailand. The only annoyance is that a scan of the signed documents will likely not be accepted. You will need to have the signed documents sent to you by post or courier.

I called the embassy and they didn't seem to direct me to the ME-O. I was going to convert to the marriage visa after I get to Thailand. I won't have the money in the Thai bank for the amount of time required by the time I want to travel there. I suppose the alternative plan would be to get either a 90-day visa or just get the visa on arrival and extend it once and then convert.

Simply amazing, I was told today at the local consulate, that they cannot process any visas before 26th as the honorary consul is not in the house. My flight is on 25th ????

I wrote a mail to the embassy to confirm, it won't change a damn thing. But it would at least serve nicely to prove I tried. However I doubt I'll hear anything from them.

3 hours ago, jethro69 said:

Simply amazing, I was told today at the local consulate, that they cannot process any visas before 26th as the honorary consul is not in the house. My flight is on 25th ????

I wrote a mail to the embassy to confirm, it won't change a damn thing. But it would at least serve nicely to prove I tried. However I doubt I'll hear anything from them.

Huh where is that? In Germany I always got my METV in 2min. Filled out, stamped and signed by a women, who works there part-time:) 

1 hour ago, SpanishExpat said:

Huh where is that? In Germany I always got my METV in 2min. Filled out, stamped and signed by a women, who works there part-time:) 

Close enough, Luxembourg.

It's basically a law firm, who handle affairs for the Belgium embassy.

Hope for the Thai community here that they handle things better, but I doubt it.

I contacted the embassy in Belgium directly, just to let them know about the circumstances, but it won't change a damn thing.

Let's look if they come up with a brilliant idea.....555

I would have not a problem if immigration in Thailand plays with their own rules.

I would need 1-2 visa exempt entries this year, and a SETV from Cambodia and Laos, which are trips planned anyways.

16 hours ago, jethro69 said:

My local honorary consul in the UK is a one person outfit too and I've been advised to call and check availability in plenty of time before applying, particularly in holiday season.  It's not as if there will be a spare honorary consul just hanging  around to cover holidays.

I was surprised by the information I got, which seemed to be verified by others working in the office, today at the Udon Thani Immigration Office. The date on my METV sticker in my passport is Sept 24, and if I leave the country up to or on that date, according to the office worker who processes the visa from across the desk (agent? officer?), I can return for an additional 2 months. Is this true? This is all news to me if true, except that I had met a European a few months ago who suggested something suspiciously similar. I nearly had a good natured argument with the person except that his English wasn't great and I thought there might be a miscommunication (I'm American, but my English is usually passable). Is there any truth to this about the additional 2 months available at the expiration of an METV. I have already done the 60 days plus 30 extension twice in a row, so this question refers to 2 months following all of that. 

Edited by ThaiRebound

7 minutes ago, ThaiRebound said:

I was surprised by the information I got, which seemed to be verified by others working in the office, today at the Udon Thani Immigration Office. The date on my METV sticker in my passport is Sept 24, and if I leave the country up to or on that date, according to the office worker who processes the visa from across the desk (agent? officer?), I can return for an additional 2 months. Is this true? This is all news to me if true, except that I had met a European a few months ago who suggested something suspiciously similar. I nearly had a good natured argument with the person except that his English wasn't great and I thought there might be a miscommunication (I'm American, but my English is usually passable). Is there any truth to this about the additional 2 months available at the expiration of an METV. I have already done the 60 days plus 30 extension twice in a row, so this question refers to 2 months following all of that. 

Yes, every time you enter Thailand before the visa expires you will be allowed to stay 60 days, which can be extended by 30 days. So you can spend nearly 9 months in Thailand (making border hops in between) with a METV.

Edited by jackdd

Thanks, JackDD. I don't know why I thought otherwise. This is like my 6th METV. Regretful and ecstatic. Will the "remark" stamp ('This foreign barbarian dirties our Godly Thai soil too often') from a tourist visa two priors ago in passport potentially threaten passage? Is this passage more precarious/scrutinized than others concerning the METV? What about the 2 visa-exempts allotted -- does that mean that one could stay 11 months without new visa needed? My brain is spinning but in a non-bad way, for once. 

20 minutes ago, ThaiRebound said:

The date on my METV sticker in my passport is Sept 24, and if I leave the country up to or on that date, according to the office worker who processes the visa from across the desk (agent? officer?), I can return for an additional 2 months. Is this true?

Yes. An entry on or before September 24th gets you another 60 days.

2 minutes ago, ThaiRebound said:

Thanks, JackDD. I don't know why I thought otherwise. This is like my 6th METV. Regretful and ecstatic. Will the "remark" stamp ('This foreign barbarian dirties our Godly Thai soil too often') from a tourist visa two priors ago in passport potentially threaten passage? Is this passage more precarious/scrutinized than others concerning the METV? What about the 2 visa-exempts allotted -- does that mean that one could stay 11 months without new visa needed? My brain is spinning but in a non-bad way, for once. 

The stamp itself shouldn’t affect anything, but Immigration Officers will be interested in the cumulative time you’ve spent in the country as a tourist when deciding on future entries.

Almost 9 months is the max you can get from one METV, unless you’re the spouse or parent if a Thai in which case it’s potentially 11.

Much appreciate, Elviajero. After this, I plan to lose my passport, fly to the US to get a new METV, and hope to get allowed back. The officer/worker at UD Immigration office said it shouldn't be a problem "flying in to Thailand" with yet another METV after looking at my long history, but she might know little about that. On a side not, she also apologized about having made a mistake with the date in my passport, stamping it with an alarming all-caps "Cancelled,' and then proceeded to scribble something in Thai below the error, ostensibly to inform the border officer to look for the correction on the *previous* page. I think that might have caused me some temporary trouble at my last re-entry.

1 hour ago, ThaiRebound said:

You are correct to be highly sceptical of anything an immigration official tells you that is not directly related to his own job. However, in this case, you were amazingly enough given correct information. If you enter Thailand on any day up to and including the expiry date of your visa, you will get a fresh 60-day permission to stay.

8 hours ago, BritTim said:

You are correct to be highly sceptical of anything an immigration official tells you that is not directly related to his own job. However, in this case, you were amazingly enough given correct information. If you enter Thailand on any day up to and including the expiry date of your visa, you will get a fresh 60-day permission to stay.

I appreciate the confirmation of the information. I don't presume them to know anything useful. I come here for that

• Thanks 1

On 7/23/2019 at 5:46 AM, aaron80k said:

Thank you very much.  I have a follow up question:

When applying for METV, requirement states that I show proof of flight out of Thailand.  Can I assume that after 60 days, I can get a 30 day extension, and thus purchase an outward airline ticket that is 90 days from entry? 

If you apply for a SETV do you need to have a flight to Thailand before you get the visa ? I do not want to confirm a flight before I get a visa. but could get a cheap short haul flight out of Thailand now. Thanks in advance for any info.

On 7/14/2019 at 10:29 AM, kmw said:

Your correct, about iglu, I don't personally use them, but have 3 friends who do, mainly just for long term visas, they don't even work, but use the work permit to stay here long term, iglu are a boi company who can issue as many work permits as they want, don't even need to be working or running a business for the hokders,, I think they initially started to help the digital nomads but it seems thier customer base is anyone who wants a 1 year visa to Thailand that can be extended every year, just will be a matter on time for the crack down, however it's probably going to take several years, as it has taken forever for immigration to crack down on ED and metv, roughly 4-5 years 

You're right on the crackdown. It has started.

Iglu are no longer able to obtain work permits. A friend on mine was in the middle of the process, and was emailed by Iglu, informing him that they as a company no longer meet the BOI requirements, and therefore all work permit applications from Iglu are being rejected.

This is the first time I've applied for a Visa in Thailand.

I'm American and mailed my passport and all documents to Washington DC Thai Royal Embassy 1 month and 11 days ago and since then I haven't heard any updates, nobody has answered the phone in 11 days (including the operator) and nobody has returned my 2 emails.

This included a $200 Money Order, $25 shipped both ways, 1 MISSED FLIGHT because they have my passport, and now I've been paying for rent & travel insurance in Thailand as I wait here with nobody answering my calls. 

Can anyone please help me resolve this? What action should I take. Is there anything else I can do other than reporting my passport stolen?

Thank you in advanced.

edit:

-I've called Chicago and they said they can't help with anything from the DC office.

-My package definitely DID arrive there

-I cannot check if they cashed my Money Order or not

Edited by Travello01
stating that I've done a lot to get this fixed

@Travello01 The only thing I can think of at this stage is a solicitor's letter demanding that they inform you of what is happening. This might seem extreme (and obviously expensive) but the only other alternatives I can see are

• visiting the Washington DC embassy in person; or
  • trying to contact them via the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok.