Ideas Wanted. Simple Business plan for wife and I

Dont have much investment baht about 350,000 baht

any straight forward ideas on how to keep busy and not lose it all ?

Some stupid Ideas I have so far.

Hotdog stand Pattaya/Jomtien ?

rent out Used Motor Bikes ?

rent Mini Mart in Condo complex ?

beer bar partner ?

panhandle ? ;)Alcoholic-business-cards.jpg

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depending where you are renting out motor bikes can work, won't be to busy i would think for 200,000 you could buy 10 new ones, new is better than beat up used and get a better rate as well.

Everything else you mentioned is to much work and crap hours, better idea is to tell the wife to get a job and put your 350,000 into a term deposit, unless you or the wife have a business mind the investment will barley return a meger income, have a look around you and what do you see?

Too much potential hassle.

Brain dead boring

What skills/experience do and her you have?

She has been a cook for many years Thai and Basic Western food

Me not to much. Store salesman Bar Stool warmer

Mobile Fish and Chip guy in Chiang Mai does pretty well.

Go's to 6 or 7 bars each night (regularly) and sells fish and chips from his motorbike/kitchen.

No rent, no real estate...and he sells out each night.

Good fish and chips too, at ridiculously low prices.

Not saying copy exact idea...but for 350,000 baht...you need something affordable...Hot Dogs, Burgers, Mr Whippee ice cream...

https://www.facebook.com/MobileFishAndChips/

...and if you want independent reviews...

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293917-d5993515-Reviews-Dee_s_Mobile_Fish_Chips-Chiang_Mai.html

Seen someone want to sell frozen yogurt business, equipment machine and knowledge used to belong to his GF

he's asking 140,000 for the lot, that can be a good thing if she can find a good location to sell and it's

easy to operate...

You won't get many helpful ideas around here.

Why not a massage parlour?

You don't have to pay salaries, they just get half of the cost of the massage. You get the other half.

You don't have to buy stock, just oil, which isn't really perishable. Of course, you need a few mattresses too and sheets n pillows. And you have to rent a space obviously.

The key is location and skilled staff.

Cooking is likely the way to go.

Get her trained up in one type of Western Cuisine - or one type of Cuisine Westerners like. :D Indian, Mexican, etc. Then make a food cart out of that.

A clean mobile unit selling decent - say Tacos etc, or Some Indian curries and samoas/bahjis etc. Would likely do quite well.

Keep it all very clean and hygenic, decent training in how to prepare the food so it's good.

Kunar's your uncle, Salma's your aunt.

There's an Indian Cooking course available in BKK. Mrs. Balbir, I think.

Clean mobile foodstall, 4 pots with a different curry in each, another few pots with Samosa, nan, onion bhalji.

The missus doing everything of course.

You can sit and watch from a barstool then come along for a freebee, so to speak.

Job Done.

Edited by Happy Grumpy

Depending where you are renting out motor bikes can work, won't be to busy i would think for 200,000 you could buy 10 new ones, new is better than beat up used and get a better rate as well.

Everything else you mentioned is to much work and crap hours, better idea is to tell the wife to get a job and put your 350,000 into a term deposit, unless you or the wife have a business mind the investment will barley return a meger income, have a look around you and what do you see?

20K for a new bike, afraid not, cheapest twist and gos are at least 42K. Jomtien the kebabs always sell out by about 11.30 pm so obviously a call for them in that area.

Food is perishable (so you have to sell what you buy quickly) and you make little per dish. if you use good quality produce and serve decent portions, you probably will only make 10 baht profit per dish (of course it depends of type of food, target customer, and location). I know my wife only made 10 baht per dish doing noodle soup. You have to sell 100s per day to make decent money. Farang food might be different, but it'll have to be quality and filling.

Nail bar? Hair salon? Massage place (like I said before), Internet cafe?

My wife does fruit now. She sells it by the kilo, by the bag (from ice box), and makes fruit shakes. It is has higher profit margins than noodle soup (well, at least by the bag and in a shake anyway..maybe not sold by the kilo.

Less work in fruit than food too. Little expertise needed.

Ask yourself:

"

Hotdog stand Pattaya/Jomtien ?

beer bar partner ?"

are these unique ideas no one had before or do you compete with 100000 other people?

You need to find something new, think you are the customer.....Rent out Motor Bikes....there are already 100 places....You go to 1 random one. Beer Bar: there are already 10000...you go 1 random one.

You need to find something where you are the only one who offers it.

Problem is, for 350k you would be 'buying a job' with the kinds of ideas that can be funded with that amount. To me, a business is something that you can walk away from for periods of time. Otherwise, why not just invest the 350k and go get a job that pays 30k a month?

I've been looking to buy or start a business for a year now. It's not an easy environment here.

I tried to open an Xpress, 30 minute teeth whitening center. Permits denied. BTW, if anyone knows of a young dentist or soon to graduate dental student, Im interested in a partnership, with me putting up the money.

Tried to buy a successful Bubble Tea franchise, only to have the landlord kill our deal by only willing to give a 12 month at a time lease. Thai landlords are famous for not renewing and taking over the business, or jacking up the rent when things go well.

Im interested in opening a badminton center if someone knows of an available warehouse in BKK.

Almost ready to start looking into Cambodia. PP is what BKK was 20 years ago. Its starting to boom.

You don't have to pay salaries, they just get half of the cost of the massage. You get the other half.

You don't have to buy stock, just oil, which isn't really perishable. Of course, you need a few mattresses too and sheets n pillows. And you have to rent a space obviously.

Excellent! Currently the massage parlors in Pattaya have to give out numbers (like at the Post Office or your Bank) to handle the onslaught of eager customers, willing to stand in line for 2 hours for a massage.cheesy.gif

Better Idea: Dye your hair black, grow massive "sideburns" wear dark sunglasses and call yourself an "Elvis Impersonator". Also in great demand.clap2.gif

Cheers.

Problem is, for 350k you would be 'buying a job' with the kinds of ideas that can be funded with that amount. To me, a business is something that you can walk away from for periods of time. Otherwise, why not just invest the 350k and go get a job that pays 30k a month?

I've been looking to buy or start a business for a year now. It's not an easy environment here.

I tried to open an Xpress, 30 minute teeth whitening center. Permits denied. BTW, if anyone knows of a young dentist or soon to graduate dental student, Im interested in a partnership, with me putting up the money.

Tried to buy a successful Bubble Tea franchise, only to have the landlord kill our deal by only willing to give a 12 month at a time lease. Thai landlords are famous for not renewing and taking over the business, or jacking up the rent when things go well.

Im interested in opening a badminton center if someone knows of an available warehouse in BKK.

Almost ready to start looking into Cambodia. PP is what BKK was 20 years ago. Its starting to boom.

Thailand is a difficult place for farang to start a business.

Everything has to appear to be in the wife's name.

Car and motorcycle wash.

Cheap set up costs if you can find a suitable plot of land for rent.

Jet washer are cheap enough at Macro.

Thai folk like to keep their vehicles clean.

I Don't know how many are around your area,maybe worth a look.

Mobile Fish and Chip guy in Chiang Mai does pretty well.

Go's to 6 or 7 bars each night (regularly) and sells fish and chips from his motorbike/kitchen.

No rent, no real estate...and he sells out each night.

Good fish and chips too, at ridiculously low prices.

Not saying copy exact idea...but for 350,000 baht...you need something affordable...Hot Dogs, Burgers, Mr Whippee ice cream...

https://www.facebook.com/MobileFishAndChips/

...and if you want independent reviews...

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293917-d5993515-Reviews-Dee_s_Mobile_Fish_Chips-Chiang_Mai.html

Edited by scorecard

Cooking is likely the way to go.

Get her trained up in one type of Western Cuisine - or one type of Cuisine Westerners like. biggrin.png Indian, Mexican, etc. Then make a food cart out of that.

A clean mobile unit selling decent - say Tacos etc, or Some Indian curries and samoas/bahjis etc. Would likely do quite well.

Keep it all very clean and hygenic, decent training in how to prepare the food so it's good.

Kunar's your uncle, Salma's your aunt.

Why try and cater for the few and fickle farang diners? There's plenty opportunities for doing Thai food for the locals. There's certain foods and dishes that are breakfast specialties and other that are lunch or dinner preferences. Choosing one or the other will dictate your market and your hours. Running a good jok (rice congee) shop could see an early morning and breakfast crowd and be done and dusted by noon. Alternately, it can also be a late night or all night stall giving you the whole day off. A noodle shop is pretty much 9 am to 3 pm.

If the OP's wife is a good cook, she should work with that.

My sincere advise

Keep close watch on your pennies man

I tried 2 times. at first time lost 300k +

in the second time almost 270k+

the biggest mistake was: transferring and transferring with out following what is going on, and she was telling me that everything recorded..!!! till the last day to get the door closed and everything gone with the wind,, lose in lose,

So please,, keep your eyes well opened, she may try her best, but not having the right skill of managing, keeping accounts on daily basis etc will lead to lose ur money for none benefit at the end,

Just sharing experience, and wish all the best,

Edited by momtaz

Excellent! Currently the massage parlors in Pattaya have to give out numbers (like at the Post Office or your Bank) to handle the onslaught of eager customers, willing to stand in line for 2 hours for a massage.cheesy.gif

Better Idea: Dye your hair black, grow massive "sideburns" wear dark sunglasses and call yourself an "Elvis Impersonator". Also in great demand.clap2.gif

Cheers.

Thank you. Thank you very much.elvis.jpg?quality=100&strip=all&w=300&h=

Too many businesses that Farangs can`t do, too much involved with laws having to involve Thai partners, too much involved with the police, too much involved with visas and work permits, too much worry having to hope you won`t be cheated by the Thais you have to trust, too much dependency on the Thais running the business for you.

With a pittance of 350000 baht, better to leave it in the bank earning some interest where it`s safe and secure.