Tube glowing

zlodnick

A few years ago I had a real CU (fusebox) installed to replace the Issan style setup.

The first night after instalation, I noticed all the flouresent tubes in the house were glowing even though switched off.

The electrician came back and to fix the problem, he switched around the wires on each light switch and that did the trick.

About one year ago, I replaced the old kitchen light with a new 2 foot tube with electronic starter. Yesterday morning was the first time I have been in the kitchen in the dark since I replaced the light, and I noticed it was glowing.

I think I replaced the light switch a while back. Maybe I switched around the wires at that time.

If I switch the wires around again, would that stop the glowing or is something else going on?

Thanks for the reply Steve, but I dont get it.

My switches dont have a ground wire. There are just 2 wires, so there is only 1 way to switch them around?

Neutral and ground are not the same. By 2 wires, do you mean 2 wires of different color? Anyway, if one of the wires is simply going through the box and not connected to anything, chances are that's the live wire and the one connected to the switch is the neutral. If this is the case, you will need to disconnect the wires on the switch and connect them together. Then cut the wire running through and connect that to the switch.

If by "2-wires" you mean one wire connected to one side of the switch and the other wire connected to the other side then swapping them will do nothing as they are the same wire. In this case, you will need to find the source for the neutral and live and swap them at that point.

Edit: BTW - if/when you do this, be sure to turn off the power first.

Edited by bankruatsteve

F-bulbs glowing when switched off is almost always a case of switching the neutral instead of the live. With few exceptions, neutral should never be switched.

Just to be clear, when bankruatsteve describes "switching the neutral instead of the live", that means 'neutral' wire is being run through the 'power switch' for the light ...so it leaves the device/appliance in an always 'connected live' state.

Fluorescent tubes will 'glow' with the slightest amount of residual current exciting them.

For safety though, make sure the Live/Hot is always the wire going through a switch.

Some months ago we had PEA doing a replacement of the small meter with a 15/45.

So far so good.

In the evening, guess what I saw?

All neons glowing!!!

They had changed the polarity.

I was alarmed and next day (after some difficult discussions/explanations) my wife called PEA to fix the error.

Again some complicated discussion until I could convince them what has happened.

I had to lend to the experts my phasing tester (screw d.) theirs was broken blink.png

With few exceptions, neutral should never be switched.

One of the exceptions would be a multiple socket outlet with a switch.

And guess what the cheap crap does that is sold here?

They switch just one line.

That's the case with most 'consumer' power strips purchased anywhere.

So it's doubly important to have a front-end RCD (Residual Current Detector) Safe-T-Cut -like device for protection as people use these 'plug in any which way you like' power strips everywhere.

Thanks again to all. I just dont get electricity. How about if I just leave it as it is?

It really ought to be fixed although it's not going to cause a fire or the like.

Since you "dont get electricity" leaving it as is is the safest route unless you want to find and pay a competent sparks who understands the issue.

BUT

But do be aware, even if the light is "off" the wiring is quite capable of killing you (or your sparks) if left in this state.

Yah. If that's the only light that has the problem now then just leave it. You could call in the local spark and show him the issue. If he looks like OK he knows what the problem, then let him sort it out. If he just goes "duh" then send him off and live with it.

• 2 weeks later...

"Fluorescent tubes will 'glow' with the slightest amount of residual current exciting them."

Just out of interest I suppose this means than the electrical circuit is complete with the air or building structure acting as a (poor) conductor to earth, and electricity is being consumed. So it must be costing you!

"Fluorescent tubes will 'glow' with the slightest amount of residual current exciting them."

Just out of interest I suppose this means than the electrical circuit is complete with the air or building structure acting as a (poor) conductor to earth, and electricity is being consumed. So it must be costing you!

Energy is certainly being consumed. But it will be well below the threshold of what will register on the meter.