Are we being persecuted

big carl

I live in Chiang Mai and have been noticing an increasing amount of complaints for the treatment the people received at Immigration. Also the open hours for the bar scene seems to be under attack. I hear that every other community have none of these problems. Is this true? Are we the only community in Thailand receiving this kind of treatment? Or do we just have more complainers?

Is Chiang Mai the only place in Thailand where getting your various forms of visas can be problematical for some and easy for others. Is Chiang Mai the only place in Thailand where the police enforce the 12:00 closing time off and on.

I am not complaining just curious. Are we the only ones?

**unfounded accusation removed

Edited by CharlieH
changed imagination to immigration at OP request

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume you're talking about the bars that cater to foreigners. And no, it's not the only place. Udon Thani has a small strip of girly bars and western bars, and to the best of my knowledge they all close around midnight. I imagine those are not the only two provinces that operate as such. With regards to immigration, Chiang Mai has one of the highest if not the highest concentrations of foreigners in Thailand. Seriously, last time I was up there in the downtown area, it was a bit of a struggle to find Thai people. I think I heard there are about 200,000 Thais living in Chiang Mai province and an estimated 100,000 foreigners.

Edited by eldragon

I assume you're talking about the bars that cater to foreigners. And no, it's not the only place. Udon Thani has a small strip of girly bars and western bars, and to the best of my knowledge they all close around midnight. I imagine those are not the only two provinces that operate as such. With regards to immigration, Chiang Mai has one of the highest if not the highest concentrations of foreigners in Thailand. Seriously, last time I was up there in the downtown area, it was a bit of a struggle to find Thai people. I think I heard there are about 200,000 Thais living in Chiang Mai province and an estimated 100,000 foreigners.

I wouldn't say it's that high, but yes, lots of foreigners in Chiang Mai. Maybe something like 7-8% of the population...if even that. Much less than a place like Pattaya, but more than the typical Nakorn nowhere. If you go to the tourist areas, then of course there will be mostly tourists. I'd also say that foreigners in Chiang Mai are more of the "normal" variety, as opposed to the hardcore sexpats. The bar scene in Chiang Mai is tiny, compared to Pattaya, BKK, Phuket, etc. Hopefully it stays that way.

3,000,000 Thais Vs 100,000 foreigners.

Immigration in CM is a disgrace.

Bar opening times are restricted all over the world, drink when they're open.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

I wouldn't say it's that high, but yes, lots of foreigners in Chiang Mai. Maybe something like 7-8% of the population...if even that. Much less than a place like Pattaya, but more than the typical Nakorn nowhere. If you go to the tourist areas, then of course there will be mostly tourists. I'd also say that foreigners in Chiang Mai are more of the "normal" variety, as opposed to the hardcore sexpats. The bar scene in Chiang Mai is tiny, compared to Pattaya, BKK, Phuket, etc. Hopefully it stays that way.

My bad. I should've checked my numbers first. Just looking at the Internet here, it seems to be more like 400,000 Thais and 30K foreigners, so your guesstimate is right on. Still seems like there's a lot of us up there in the downtown area. My Thai friends complain about it all the time. Say it's turning into Phuket, slowly but surely. I predict Chiang Khan will become the new Chiang Mai, at least for the Thais.

Chiang Mai the only place in Thailand where the police enforce the 12:00 closing time off and on.-------- not true sakhon nakon also take a lunch break how very civilised mmm i get hungry also

Yes you and Udon Thani are what I was looking for. Also Immigration conditions where your offices are.

Dunno about Chiang Mai, Udon Thani always closed at 12pm, If you want late drinking go to Pattaya, a mate of mine usually goes out at 4am,

home 7-8am, says its the best time. Each immigration office is its own fiefdom, depends on the chief how he wants to treat foreigners and apply the law.

I still dont understand whybpeople are spending even 1 mn in chiangmai..

Because some of us have made a life in Chiang Mai that is not so easy to walk away from.

Recently up in Chiang Rai and saw none of the restrictions affecting the bars there. In one bar I was drinking right up to gone 3 in the morning, with loads of freelancers hanging about outside. Even some of the massage parlours were open to 2. 00 am. A friend that lives in the area told me he gets none of the problems as we experience at Chiang Mai with immigration.

With the numbers of foreigners in Chiang Mai, how many percent of them are Farangs? Just seems that lately we are not wanted here, because if we are, they have a strange way of showing their affections for us.

I still dont understand whybpeople are spending even 1 mn in chiangmai..

Because some of us have made a life in Chiang Mai that is not so easy to walk away from.

Recently up in Chiang Rai and saw none of the restrictions affecting the bars there. In one bar I was drinking right up to gone 3 in the morning, with loads of freelancers hanging about outside. Even some of the massage parlours were open to 2. 00 am. A friend that lives in the area told me he gets none of the problems as we experience at Chiang Mai with immigration.

With the numbers of foreigners in Chiang Mai, how many percent of them are Farangs? Just seems that lately we are not wanted here, because if we are, they have a strange way of showing their affections for us.

Chiang Rai is a great place to party late into the night

I'm pretty sure the complaint is not that they're restricted, but that they're restricted to unreasonably early hours.

...and next you might say "if you don't like it live somewhere else." That would improve the OP's access to after midnight bars not change the closing times in CM.

Edited by BudRight

I'm pretty sure the complaint is not that they're restricted, but that they're restricted to unreasonably early hours.

...and next you might say "if you don't like it live somewhere else." That would improve the OP's access to after midnight bars not change the closing times in CM.

As to be expected the train is off the track. I am not complaining just stating an observation and asking if this is just in Chiang Mai or all of Thailand. I know Bangkok and Pattaya are under different conditions when it comes to bars. But what about immigration. Is Chiang Mai the only place in Thailand with the problems or is it a nation wide problem? One reasonable answer was that Chiang Mai is attracting far more permanent residents than other parts of Thailand. As usual when the train is off the track questions like that get ignored. As an 8 year resident here I have to agree the last four years I have seen the population grow. I remember 4 years ago going into Immigration at 8:00 in the morning to get my yearly extension and being out of there about 11:30. The population has grown so big that now they have 20 a day and tell people to-come back tomorrow. Often people who have been there since 6:00 or earlier are told to come back.

Judging by the responses here we are not the only place in Thailand that has an on and off again schedule for closing the bars at midnight but we are the only place with immigration problems.

As to be expected the train is off the track. I am not complaining just stating an observation and asking if this is just in Chiang Mai or all of Thailand. I know Bangkok and Pattaya are under different conditions when it comes to bars. But what about immigration. Is Chiang Mai the only place in Thailand with the problems or is it a nation wide problem? One reasonable answer was that Chiang Mai is attracting far more permanent residents than other parts of Thailand. As usual when the train is off the track questions like that get ignored. As an 8 year resident here I have to agree the last four years I have seen the population grow. I remember 4 years ago going into Immigration at 8:00 in the morning to get my yearly extension and being out of there about 11:30. The population has grown so big that now they have 20 a day and tell people to-come back tomorrow. Often people who have been there since 6:00 or earlier are told to come back.

Judging by the responses here we are not the only place in Thailand that has an on and off again schedule for closing the bars at midnight but we are the only place with immigration problems.

It's not uncommon for government agencies anywhere in the world to be inconsistent and do things with a little variety. Policies are sometimes vague and left to interpretation. Also, supervision among the ranks is rarely heavy handed. Plus, there might be some abstinence among the staff based on political issues here in TH. Staff may want to do things differently so they can feel like they're not totally aligned with the central region.

It's not uncommon for government agencies anywhere in the world to be inconsistent and do things with a little variety. Policies are sometimes vague and left to interpretation. Also, supervision among the ranks is rarely heavy handed. Plus, there might be some abstinence among the staff based on political issues here in TH. Staff may want to do things differently so they can feel like they're not totally aligned with the central region.

You are quite right but here in Chiang Mai we have seen two different changes in management yet the service is still lacking.. They have made a move so now they are operating out of two offices but with no more staff than they had in one. The waiting area is much better due to the landlord out of his own pocket improving it. The landlord is the Promenade Mall.

I was kind of hoping that there would be others but apparently not. In a way we have brought it on are selves. We should keep it a secret about how nice life is in Chiang Mai for retired people. Could be political after all we are in the hearty of Shinawatra land.

You are quite right but here in Chiang Mai we have seen two different changes in management yet the service is still lacking.. They have made a move so now they are operating out of two offices but with no more staff than they had in one. The waiting area is much better due to the landlord out of his own pocket improving it. The landlord is the Promenade Mall.

I was kind of hoping that there would be others but apparently not. In a way we have brought it on are selves. We should keep it a secret about how nice life is in Chiang Mai for retired people. Could be political after all we are in the hearty of Shinawatra land.

Service is lacking everywhere here, mate. Good luck up there.

I thought you were in Chiang Mai. Do you mean there is another office like Chiang Mai's.

I thought you were in Chiang Mai. Do you mean there is another office like Chiang Mai's.

BKK. And I mean Thais just don't have it when it comes to service.

Chiang Mai the only place in Thailand where the police enforce the 12:00 closing time off and on.-------- not true sakhon nakon also take a lunch break how very civilised mmm i get hungry also

Exact biggrin.png - I'm living in Sawang district - but if you know the Immigration officers you can have your 90 days report or a re-entry visa even they are eating a somtam or something else...

I completely agree it was brought on by people touting how good it was to live/retire/somehow-be-able-to-stay in Chiang Mai. Then too many want to change the Thais and Chiang Mai to suit their wants because something is not exactly to their liking. Many of these people never venture outside the ring roads except maybe a very infrequent trip far out of Chiang Mai province.