New Benelli TRK502 Adventure Bike

BBJ

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How did scooters creep into a thread about a mid-size adventure bike?

only on Thaivisa

Scooters can squeeze into the spaces between postings and so they get everywhere.

Contrary to some other's thoughts - I'd consider this if it was made in China - as this would give me more confidence on parts availability in Asia.

I'm after a long distance touring bike - and this looks possible except for fears about spare parts and servicing in remote areas. Sometimes the more common (less interesting?) options make more practical sense. CRF 250, CB500X and Versys will have better support even if non of these are really suited for long distance off road,

• 1 year later...

It was roadtested by MCN last week at its launch and was slated in most departments. Also comments on excess weight 40kg more than the Honda 500x. Looks like one to avoid shame as the benelli 300 I have is a excellent bike.

Edited by GARYZX6R

16 minutes ago, GARYZX6R said:

It was roadtested by MCN last week at its launch and was slated in most departments. Also comments on excess weight 40kg more than the Honda 500x. Looks like one to avoid shame as the benelli 300 I have is a excellent bike.

The Benelli TRK502 also has 10% more horsepower than the Honda CB500X, plus the front and rear suspension (forks and shock) are adjustable on the Benelli.

Unfortunately the reviews are not great for this bike. Brakes are spongy, abs feels very dated, it's heavy for a 500cc bike and I dare say it....spare parts will become a problem.

It has been compared to the 500X as it looks similar and has the same horsepower, but I don't think it's in the same league. Technology is the difference and Japan made bikes are at the front....and will be for some time IMHO.

• 5 months later...
On 5/5/2017 at 11:07 PM, CMKiwi said:

Unfortunately the reviews are not great for this bike. Brakes are spongy, abs feels very dated, it's heavy for a 500cc bike and I dare say it....spare parts will become a problem.

It has been compared to the 500X as it looks similar and has the same horsepower, but I don't think it's in the same league. Technology is the difference and Japan made bikes are at the front....and will be for some time IMHO.

so you have riden this bike or are you just repeating something you read from a biased reporter? i am posting a clip of someone who has ridden the bike and is pleasently surprised by it. there are also many clips on youtube of people who have ridden it. i do not dispute that the spares might be an issue if you live outside of Bangkok, but there are many benelli bikes on the road now so i'd say they are becoming more popular. I can't find many comparison with honda x500 on youtube in english, there are a few in other languages.......

I will admit that I  have not ridden this bike...in fact I havent seen it in Chiang Mai let alone Thailand yet.  Sure it looks ok.  However, like you I try and do my research and read/view reviews that you can find online.

The video you attached was but one mans opinion of what the thought after he had ridden the bike for a few miles/kilometers.  I was a bit taken back with his repeated view that 'this is a big bike'.  IMHO it is not a big bike. It is a midrange/size bike.  

Ive had Chinese made bikes in the past (Owned and ridden) and my general observation is that they do not come anywhere near the specs of a Japanese made bike.  Sure they may have the same cc rating but horsepower/torque are very different.

Back in the 70s Benelli brought out a 6 cylinder bike...now that looked sweet and the build was better then what is currently produced.

Many companies (Both car and motorcyle) are moving production to China as costs are less. I can understand that. However you will find that if you park up say 2 bikes of the same Brand/Model but manufactured in different countries, then there will be a difference in price that the consumer pays/ is willing to pay/  This is also reflected in resale prices.

Dont get me wrong, there is a market for these bikes.  I however will wait until the Chinese can mimic more closely to the original item. If they can do so at a lower price to the consumer, then in my eyes it will be a win/win situation.

Agreed, not a bad review however towards the end he does start to go on a bit.  For a cheaper option it appears to be a not bad bike.

Its a bit like the Lifan and Keeway bikes we see here, they look ok and perform adequately.  They are cheaper than the mainstream bikes, but after sales service can be a problem as are parts.  Forget resales...its a joke.   Iif you want to keep the bike for life then maybe you will do alright out of it.

You will possibly be on a winner if you can keep up with the maintainence and keep the bike looking good. In say 20 years someone will remember that brand and pay you a small fortune to get their hands on the bike. But for general day to day riding, methinks you get what you pay for.

Sorry but I'll stick top well known and trusted brands/models.  Boring maybe, but a lot easier on the wallet in the long run.

Now I always thought the purpose of an Adventure bike was a "go anywhere" machine, so unless you are Charles Atlas you are going to be restricted to "go anywhere that is covered in tarmac".

Or I suppose you could hire a couple of guys in 4x4's to follow you on your adventure.

I think any bike wearing this badge needs to be able to be picked up by the rider......when it is in the deep shit, or what's the point?

18 minutes ago, AllanB said:

Now I always thought the purpose of an Adventure bike was a "go anywhere" machine, so unless you are Charles Atlas you are going to be restricted to "go anywhere that is covered in tarmac".

Or I suppose you could hire a couple of guys in 4x4's to follow you on your adventure.

I think any bike wearing this badge needs to be able to be picked up by the rider......when it is in the deep shit, or what's the point?

I weigh 57 kg and I  agree.  Back in the day, I would ride into things off-road and turn around while I could still get out.  Hill-climb stuff.  I could do that with a bike that weighs maybe 120 kg.  Not something that weighs half as much as a small car.

3 hours ago, Neilly said:

It is possable...even for short folks...

Drop a bike like that on the tarmac you would probably not be in a fit state to do that, a nice demo when conditions are perfect, but not realistic. The more likely scenario on an "adventure ride" is off road in the mud and again you cannot do it that way, hence the need for a lightweight bike. Suggest you Youtube Steph Jeavons, who has the right bike and right idea how to use it.

Edited by AllanB

43 minutes ago, AllanB said:

Suggest you Youtube Steph Jeavons, who has the right bike and right idea how to use it.

I know full well who Steph Jeavons is, and I take my hat off to her...I've had a CRF250L for fives years now and there is no way in hell I'd like to ride it all day, every day...a change of seat made it better...but not enough for long distance touring...she must have an iron butt is all I can say.

2 hours ago, Neilly said:

I know full well who Steph Jeavons is, and I take my hat off to her...I've had a CRF250L for fives years now and there is no way in hell I'd like to ride it all day, every day...a change of seat made it better...but not enough for long distance touring...she must have an iron butt is all I can say.

Most bikes are transformed by a change of seat and come the dry weather I am going to try out a few ideas myself on two of my bikes. I spent two days two up on my CRF look-alike Lifan and agree she must have an iron butt, but she is a woman and they genetically enhanced in the buttock region.

So it's either plastic surgery, or a new design of seat, I think I will start with the latter.

On 10/8/2017 at 12:04 PM, AllanB said:

Ride with a strong person.?

;-)

Picking a bike up off road requires a different technique from the videos above.  If you’re on a hill with a heavy bike on dirt lifting like that will put you at risk.  Let’s face it.  A bike doesn’t always fall on the footbrake side affording you the side stand to rely on!    

1 hour ago, BBJ said:

Picking a bike up off road requires a different technique from the videos above.  If you’re on a hill with a heavy bike on dirt lifting like that will put you at risk.  Let’s face it.  A bike doesn’t always fall on the footbrake side affording you the side stand to rely on!    

Absolutely.... This is quite useful.

• 3 weeks later...