Notaries

Timmaayy

Thailand does not have such service - it is provided by your Embassy.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-thailand

It is correct that Embassies can provide such services.

It is completely incorrect that "Thailand does not have such service." My company's in-house lawyer is a Thai Notary Public, as was one of my company's earlier lawyers. But - this is on Soi Asoke - so not applicable to the OP's search criteria.

MS

Do not believe any are legal outside Thailand without further action. Embassy is.

Not sure what you mean by "legal" but in my experience documents notarised by Thai lawyers are accepted by UK banks and insurance companies without question so there is no reason to believe other equally particular organisations would not accept them.

I have used Interactive Associates, one of your sponsors on several occasions and never an issue.

This thread is full of incorrect information, provided by ignorant people who do not know what they are talking about.

To be a Thai Notary Public, a Thai lawyer needs to specifically apply for and obtain registration as a Notary Public Attorney.

I am attaching an image of such a regsitration, and also an image of a Thai notary seal. If a Thai lawyer does not have such a registration, and does not have the seal, then they cannot provide notarial services. The vast majority of Thai attorneys are not registered as Notary Public Attormeys.

I have provided correct informatiom, as of 2015.

Cheers,
MS

Notary Certificate.pdf

Notary Seal.pdf

This thread is full of incorrect information, provided by ignorant people who do not know what they are talking about.

To be a Thai Notary Public, a Thai lawyer needs to specifically apply for and obtain registration as a Notary Public Attorney.

That's correct. Not all/any Thai attorney can notarize a document. But there are Thai attorneys who have been certified through, I believe, the Thai Bar or Lawyers Assn., to provide that service and they should have the certificate showing that.

However, there is an added complication. Thailand is not a party to the international notary public system. So, whether a Thai notary's seal will be accepted by some entity in a different country really depends on how exacting the other party wants/needs to be. Best to check in advance with the entity for whom you're needing to have the document notarized.

Because the U.S. Embassy charges $50+ for notarizing a document, I've had some documents I needed to use in the U.S. stamped by Thai notaries, and haven't yet had a problem. But that was all for pretty low-level, low-value stuff. Whether the same would apply for a high-value transaction, like purchasing property, I can't say.

The Interactive Associates office mentioned above is located along the BTS Sukhumvit line, have the notary certificate, and last I heard, were charging something in the neighborhood of 1000 baht per document. Other folks here have reported good experience in dealing with them.

A lot of the Thai law firms in BKK that offer notary services seem to be considerably higher priced, for doing something that takes little more than 5 minutes of their time.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I am attaching an image of such a regsitration, and also an image of a Thai notary seal. If a Thai lawyer does not have such a registration, and does not have the seal, then they cannot provide notarial services. The vast majority of Thai attorneys are not registered as Notary Public Attormeys.

I have provided correct informatiom, as of 2015.

Cheers,

MS

The thread actually has a lot of very accurate information provided by some people who not only do know what they are talking about but also are providing that information based on personal experience. The ignorant are those who, without any justification, dispute what actually has happened in real situations. The thread also has unnecessary comments from clever-dick pedants unable to spell correctly.

Obviously, a document will only be considered to be notarised if it is authorised by a lawyer who has the qualification and the seal to do so, otherwise it will just be a document without a notary's seal and no accompanying certification, i.e. it will be exactly the same piece of un-notarised paper that it was before you walked into the lawyer office.

The vast majority of Thai lawyers are able to provide this service and, to continue your pedanticism, they are called Notarial Services Attorneys not Notaries Public. Cheers.

Edited by Alration