Korean honeymooner dies after diving lesson at Koh Hei

webfact

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

36 year old fit young women to not "get into difficulty" in one meter of water.

Questions

1. Could the lady swim ?

2. Was she introduced to the safe use of Scuba gear within the confines of a swimming pool prior to being "dumped" into the ocean ?

3. Was the equipment used well maintained and "fit for purpose"

4. Did an instructor enter the water with or immediately before the lady ?

These questions and probably more need to be answered.

Condolences from me to the ladies husband and her family.

All valid questions, and when I asked myself those same questions, one that you have not mentioned stood out,

Was the air in the scuba tank contaminated ?

Was the right gas mix used ?

An unknown allergic reaction because of a contamination ? Oil vapor contamination ?

Unlikely (?), but strange things do happen in this country, because there are rarely validated SOPs controlling basic operations in small private companies that run on a shoe-string budget..

The point you raise is covered in my post

3. Was the equipment used well maintained and "fit for purpose" fill the tanks .

That includes the compressors used to fill the tanks !

NB

No "gas mixes" are used in basic SCUBA diving ..........just plain , ordinary , air !

Thanks.

Having run a compressor for diving, I can categorically state no way.

You poison one fill, you poison them all. And I would fill 30 tanks at a time.

Can't see just one victim happening ever.

Not to mention, CO poisoning is obvious, blue lips and fingernails, about 2 seconds to diagnose.

Oh dear.......thank God you're not a doctor.

The symptoms for carbon monoxide poisoning is CHERRY RED lips and nails. You learn this in every PADI course.

What you describe is Hypoxia. A lack of sufficient oxygen (not involving carbon monoxide).

Edited by KarenBravo

A post violating forum rules has been removed from view.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

Having run a compressor for diving, I can categorically state no way.

You poison one fill, you poison them all. And I would fill 30 tanks at a time.

Can't see just one victim happening ever.

Not to mention, CO poisoning is obvious, blue lips and fingernails, about 2 seconds to diagnose.

Oh dear.......thank God you're not a doctor.

The symptoms for carbon monoxide poisoning is CHERRY RED lips and nails. You learn this in every PADI course.

What you describe is Hypoxia. A lack of sufficient oxygen (not involving carbon monoxide).

Thanks for the correction KB, it is of course blue for no oxygen, red for carbon monoxide.

So that's 2 more causes of death ruled out, along with not a PFO.

If /really/ one meter depth, then hypothermic shock;

- or a jellyfish.

Otherwise as someone here mentioned, rapid ascension without exhaling blocks air exhaust and that's the end.

Bends are another story, they happened after deep dive and Nitrogen forming bubbles in the blood (champagne)

FWIW

And I'm just saying that that stress might then cause existing but hidden health problems to come to the fore.

Indeed, and those health problems could perhaps have been triggered by any other stressful situation, such as bungy jumping, paragliding etc.

RIP

RIP young bride.

hello all divers,

when was the last time you went diving in one meter of water? even as a beginner diver, you are in a pool, then the ocean, maybe in a calm spot maybe 20-40 feet deep.

but maybe this was the first course, in the ocean in very shallow water.

anyway, you get in the water, inflate your BC and wait for your instructor on the surface.

but lets say she was in 1 meter of water. maybe a shallow beach and then paddle out to deeper water. then she must have been breathing from the tank, maybe for a few minutes, and collapsed.

or she was much deeper and panicked and held her breath as she returned to the surface.

it is possible she had some sort of preexisting condition.

they had problems like this in Mexico years ago. exhaust fumes from the compressor filling the tanks would be sucked into the air intake.

weird only her tank?

Edited by NCC1701A

36 year old fit young women to not "get into difficulty" in one meter of water.

Questions

1. Could the lady swim ?

2. Was she introduced to the safe use of Scuba gear within the confines of a swimming pool prior to being "dumped" into the ocean ?

3. Was the equipment used well maintained and "fit for purpose"

4. Did an instructor enter the water with or immediately before the lady ?

These questions and probably more need to be answered.

Condolences from me to the ladies husband and her family.

Get real , this is Thailand.