Telegram messaging app struggles to block ISIS sites

webfact

Telegram messaging app struggles to block ISIS sites

606x341_317419.jpg

BERLIN: -- Stung by revelations that ISIS was using the ultra-secure messaging app Telegram, the Berlin-based service has been racing to shut down dozens of channels used by the group to spread propaganda and recruit members.

But despite the move hailed by founder Pavel Durov, reports say no sooner has one channel been removed than many others are popping up in its place.

One analyst from a prominent hackers’ group says blocking or breaking encryption methods is not the solution.

“Encryption is everywhere. What’s App is encrypted, banking systems are encrypted… if we say ‘we must be able to break encryptions as a state regulator’ it’ll only lead to all citizens being tapped – but not the criminal terrorists because they use unbreakable encryption,” responded Frank Rieger of the Chaos Computer Club, which describes itself as Europe’s largest association of hackers.

Two months ago a new public broadcast feature of Telegram became the preferred communication method for ISIS.

The group used it to claim responsibility for the Paris attacks and the bombing of a Russian airliner over Egypt.

Some channels gained thousands of followers.

Telegram explicitly says it makes efforts to block ISIS, but unlike Twitter it is accused of having done nothing until this week to prevent it from operating.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2015-11-20

Shut the servers down. That will seriously hinder organisations/people using this method of communication for planning and commiting illegal acts. Why do private persons need encryption? If encryption methods are licenced to businesses and governments , free or at minimal cost, with verification of source of licence application, and all encrypted communications carry the licence id then encrypted data can be tracked, not decyphered, so still private, but unusual behaviour in message transmitting can be flagged. No licence id, message deleted. Private communication to banks, business, governments can be done by logging on to the site of the recipient and sending data using the sites encrypted data path. Is this possible?

I personally don't care if my SMS/Emails/Farcebook etc communications can be read by people who wish to ensure that my way of life, democracy,equality,freedom of speech, freedom of religious following, can be continued safely without constant checking of my environment and the people near me.

I personally don't care if my SMS/Emails/Farcebook etc communications can be read by people who wish to ensure that my way of life, democracy,equality,freedom of speech, freedom of religious following, can be continued safely without constant checking of my environment and the people near me.

Then you can choose to use unencrypted communications systems - nobody is forcing you to use encryption.

But don't take the choice to use encrypted communications away from those of us who value our privacy and security.

Intelligence agencies can simply comprise the endpoints - computers, phones, tablets - of individuals they wish to target and read all the encrypted communications. This should be done under the rubric of a warrant.