Nissan begins X-Trail Hybrid SUV production in Thailand

webfact

Nissan begins X-Trail Hybrid SUV production in Thailand
TAMAKI KYOZUKA, Nikkei staff writer

BANGKOK -- Nissan Motor has started manufacturing and selling its X-Trail Hybrid in Thailand, hoping to tap demand among the country's well-heeled customers.

The Japanese automaker began churning out the sport utility vehicle in October at a factory in the central province of Samut Prakarn, expecting to deliver the first locally produced batch this month.

Nissan aims to sell 5,000 units in Thailand in 2016. With retail prices starting at 1.24 million baht ($35,000), the company plans to tout its relative affordability.

Full story: http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Companies/Nissan-begins-X-Trail-Hybrid-SUV-production-in-Thailand

-- NIKKEI ASIAN REVIEW 2015-11-20

relatively affordability?

It makes every other hybrid look positively over priced ;)

Now all they need to do is apply the same drivetrain / pricing to the Teana, and maybe they will actually achieve their 6-year "power 88" plan goals... they better be quick though - only a year for that to go :P

Oh yeah, and start fitting the 1.6L DiG turbo to the Juke :D

It makes every other hybrid look positively over priced wink.png

Now all they need to do is apply the same drivetrain / pricing to the Teana, and maybe they will actually achieve their 6-year "power 88" plan goals... they better be quick though - only a year for that to go tongue.png

Oh yeah, and start fitting the 1.6L DiG turbo to the Juke biggrin.png

I just can't imagine what a turbo is like with a cvt. I know it accelerates well....yes would be nice to see the turbo in the Juke. The x-trail looks very good value - much more hp, more economical, better value. Will they still be able to sell the regular version, given the hybrid is not that much more expensive. I wonder if the hybrid would have the performance of the 2.5 x-trail given the similar total hp.

Passed one yesterday outside Chiang Mai. Had big lettering on the side "1st hybrid SUV in Thailand"

Unfortunately, that's not true - I'm afraid Porsche and Lexus have the jump by several years ;)

First hybrid SUV made in Thailand, yes.

Passed one yesterday outside Chiang Mai. Had big lettering on the side "1st hybrid SUV in Thailand"

Unfortunately, that's not true - I'm afraid Porsche and Lexus have the jump by several years wink.png

First hybrid SUV made in Thailand, yes.

That's what I thought, as I passed by...

Is this hybrid version going to present any problems at all on the service and maintenance side in Thailand - I mean in comparison with the standard versions? Or would it not be more fussy to maintain in tip-top condition and on the road without constant garage visits?

It makes every other hybrid look positively over priced wink.png

Now all they need to do is apply the same drivetrain / pricing to the Teana, and maybe they will actually achieve their 6-year "power 88" plan goals... they better be quick though - only a year for that to go tongue.png

Oh yeah, and start fitting the 1.6L DiG turbo to the Juke biggrin.png

I just can't imagine what a turbo is like with a cvt. I know it accelerates well....yes would be nice to see the turbo in the Juke. The x-trail looks very good value - much more hp, more economical, better value. Will they still be able to sell the regular version, given the hybrid is not that much more expensive. I wonder if the hybrid would have the performance of the 2.5 x-trail given the similar total hp.

Having already booked a 2.5 of which i was given a 45,00 baht discount i went back to the dealers to explain that i wasn't happy at not being told told of the Hybrid when i made my original booking and that i didn't see a 123,000 baht difference between the cars and was thinking of changing to the Hybrid thus hoping to obtain a further discount.

In the meantime i'd been to another dealer who was still only giving 30,000 baht discount on the 2.5, anyway the stour faced sales manager was wasn't having none of it and wouldn't budge, telling me that the 2.5 was more powerful, the similar HP didn't mean too much as the hybrid part didn't really affect the power and also showing some figs out of a brochure which gave the 2.5 higher power readings of which i couldnt make head of tail due to being written in Thai ( i got the feeling that Nissan still viewed the 2.5 as the flagship of the X-Trail ).

The mail difference's between the car's apart from the obvious was the quality of the wheels with the Hybrid having smaller cheaper looking alloys against the 2.5's, the sunroof, 5+2 seats, reduced boot space ( 10cm higher across two thirds of the floor).

Regarding price rises in Jan, the 1st guy told me that the 2.5 would rise substantially and the Hybrid just a little and Mrs Stour face told me that both would rise by about 100,000 baht.

Regarding my own situation, if it wasn't for the price rise In Jan i would have waited for 6 months and looked at the 2.5 price again so at the moment i am still undecided, although i probably will sway for the 2.5 to avoid any complications down the line.

Edited by alfieconn

• 1 month later...

Don't know if this has been mentioned already but I'll mention it anyway. I see that in terms of airbags, the two top spec hybrids (2WD and 4WD) and the top spec petrol (2.5-4WD) have now been fitted with dual front and side airbags. Still nothing in the second or third rows but it's better than the dual front airbags that is standard on all the other trim lines (entry level hybrid and the 2.0 FWD and 4WD).