New Zealand opens voting on new flag

webfact

New Zealand opens voting on new flag

WELLINGTON: -- Voting has begun in New Zealand in a referendum which could see the country getting a new national flag.

New Zealanders have just under a month to send in a postal ballot on which of five potential new flags they prefer.

A second vote in 2016 will ask whether they want to replace the existing flag, which features the UK's Union Jack, with the new design.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-34876354

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2015-11-20

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I like the one on the far left, which has the silver fern, stars and the tricolour., but does not look to cluttered.

This brings back memories of when Canada was selecting a new flag. It was quite a nasty fight. At the time French separatism was quite strong and violent. Canada's colours were red, white and blue - but the Liberal (governing party) colour was red and the Conservative colour was blue. Charlotte Whitten who was then mayor of Ottawa (think of an older Maggie Thatcher with an attitude) described the proposed flag as "a dying maple leaf (autumn red) between two rivers of blood" - she hated it. However the red and white flag won out over the red white and blue.

Hope that New Zealand's process is somewhat more calm.

Edited by tigermonkey

Personally I like the one on the far left, which has the silver fern, stars and the tricolour., but does not look to cluttered.

This brings back memories of when Canada was selecting a new flag. It was quite a nasty fight. At the time French separatism was quite strong and violent. Canada's colours were red, white and blue - but the Liberal (governing party) colour was red and the Conservative colour was blue. Charlotte Whitten who was then mayor of Ottawa (think of an older Maggie Thatcher with an attitude) described the proposed flag as "a dying maple leaf (autumn red) between two rivers of blood" - she hated it. However the red and white flag won out over the red white and blue.

Hope that New Zealand's process is somewhat more calm.

I also remember the same thing. I remember the three maple leaf idea( Like it).

CDN flag is in the top ten, best flags in the world( my option).

I am not a fan of most of the flags which have three color bars,bands. To me they are very boring. But when people fight and die to defend their

country; their flag is waving strong.

PS, New Zealand did use the Canadian flag as the bench mark in choosing their top five flag choices( saw on TV ).

The flag certainly is too similar to Australia’s one and people globally erroneously identify it as such unsure.png . I’d like to see the Union Jack kept in the corner, showing continuing allegiance to the Commonwealth, but an adaption of the fourth from left flag proposal with blue being the upper background colour. Remember the All Blacks (rugby team) logo is the silver fern on a black background. Otherwise, as some posters have suggested, a stylised kiwi, instead of the fern may be another favourable option.

What I find offensive is that the referendum excludes New Zealanders who haven't been in the country within the past 3 years crying.gif . Just because they haven’t done so does not follow that they have less love for their country or feelings of patriotism than those who have or who reside thereviolin.gif . Elements of personal financial status, commitments, or others factors can thwart fulfilling the want to visit or return home permanently.

Edited by Siamwhiteelephant

Just the fern, please.

Reminds me one of the best flags in the world, the Canadian Maple Leaf.

The issue of confusing the current flag with Australia is real and they'd be crazy to keep it.

I agree. Whatever the new flag will be, the old one just has to go. I'm a dual national of NZ and Australia and I even get confused. At a quick glance both flags are virtually identical.

It would be pleasing if both flags lost their Union Jacks. The Union Jacks stand for oppression of the indigenous people in both countries. It would also be nice if both countries threw out the Queen, Governor General and all that nonsense that doesn't make any sense in the context of a modern and independent NZ and Australia. I never could understand the silly obsession that Brits have with their Royal family.

The referendum is expensive and unpopular. There's no real NEED for change.

That the flag is confused with Australia's is really a minor issue, but if it really bothers some Kiwis, why not just tell the Aussies to change theirs.

Make it a wager on the next RWC: loser has to change.

The referendum is expensive and unpopular. There's no real NEED for change.

That the flag is confused with Australia's is really a minor issue, but if it really bothers some Kiwis, why not just tell the Aussies to change theirs.

Make it a wager on the next RWC: loser has to change.

Didn't Robert Muldoon tell them to just simply use a yellow flag?

To avoid all confusion, they could change the name New Zealand to Aotearoa.

There are some advocates of that but then again it might cloud the issue. smile.png

According to extensive scientific research (by me, last night), about 0,000000000000001% of TV Forum members understand the pun.

Wow I'm clever then...Land of the Long White Cloudiness and the All Black rugbyness

Edited by Linzz

Just the fern, please.

Reminds me one of the best flags in the world, the Canadian Maple Leaf.

The issue of confusing the current flag with Australia is real and they'd be crazy to keep it.

I agree. Whatever the new flag will be, the old one just has to go. I'm a dual national of NZ and Australia and I even get confused. At a quick glance both flags are virtually identical.

It would be pleasing if both flags lost their Union Jacks. The Union Jacks stand for oppression of the indigenous people in both countries. It would also be nice if both countries threw out the Queen, Governor General and all that nonsense that doesn't make any sense in the context of a modern and independent NZ and Australia. I never could understand the silly obsession that Brits have with their Royal family.

Not all ' Brits ' I can assure you.

To avoid all confusion, they could change the name New Zealand to Aotearoa.

There are some advocates of that but then again it might cloud the issue. smile.png

According to extensive scientific research (by me, last night), about 0,000000000000001% of TV Forum members understand the pun.

Wow I'm clever then...Land of the Long White Cloudiness and the All Black rugbyness

Great, as it is an obscure issue. thumbsup.gif You a Kiwi?? I happen to know cause ten years ago here I met a Kiwi who was hot on the trail of Aotearoa as the name.

The real challenge here is, however, should your choose to accept it, to communicate on the page how to pronounce Aotearoa (Aotea-roa). Even using the phonetic alphabet the pronunciation has to have both a NZ standard accent interlaced by the original Maori sound systems. No British or American phonics allowed. Fair is fair.

Having an island country btw named after the shape of the clouds it gets is sort of like naming a place "Iceland." Whatever may be true about a country, the name is just not an attraction. (Hence the pun...)

It's therefore all the more important to get the flag right, ne c'est pas. smile.png

Sorry Niddie....you'll have to add a few more zeroes.

The calculation is precisely accurate. I know cause I stayed up all night too to get the exact identical equation and result. At least up to the time of the post.

Since then however it's become necessary to subtract one zero but also to add a zero. Not calling anyone a zero mind you, just doing some calculus. gigglem.gif

The flag on the left end seems to be the lesser of several no-win choices in this to include continuing the present one. Don't know many people who think stars and stripes blend well together either and not only in Malaysia.

Present flags down there are plain but stark. The proposed ones at least look somewhat artsy. Softer. Easy on the eyes.

I am not a Kiwi no, but fell in love with Aotearoa when I first visited in 1977.

And each time I went back, it had become even better.

I had the chance to settle there, but I was young & restless...

Spent years tramping and picking fruit.

(tramping = walking in the national parks)