Thai Govt Seeks Blanket Amnesty for ‘Honest Use of Force’

Jonathan Fairfield

Ok whats deemed as honest use of force , Why would you worry about unhappy citizens when you poll so well.

Add to that conscription putting an additional 300,000 armed soldiers per year in to mix and it's not looking too rosy!

Not for the terrorists with M79's at least. Or the organizers of this imminent civil uprising you keep telling us about (when the funding is wired through). The rest of us aren't worried. I feel much safer at an Army checkpoint than a police one.

And why do you say 'additional 300,000 armed soldiers per year' ?. Is that just a red-shirt lie to agitate the ignorant ?. From what I read, the ones they pick only need to attend training for 2 months. Do you seriously think the Thai Army is going grow by 300,000 men every year ?. cheesy.gif

"It would allow the conscripts to be summoned for a variety of purposes such as helping with disaster relief, enforcing martial law, responding to emergency situations and preparing for war."

The real issue about this (which has gone completely over your head) is that it now takes older people who may have skill in some profession which a developing country needs. Don't worry yourself though, I doubt that applies to you.

"The real issue about this (which has gone completely over your head) ...."

Ah John, aren't we lucky to have you telling us less intelligent beings what's what! Much like your preference that the Bangkok elite must continue in perpetuity to tell the peasants what to do, think and say.

Obviously you're sorely needed because very few (even among the junta supporters) see how this latest hair raising proposals can be a good thing, John.

In fact, I'm pretty sure that more/most/the majority see the mind blowing hypocrisy in overthrowing an elected government because of an attempted introduction of an amnesty and then.......oh, what's the use.

Ok whats deemed as honest use of force , Why would you worry about unhappy citizens when you poll so well.

Add to that conscription putting an additional 300,000 armed soldiers per year in to mix and it's not looking too rosy!

Not for the terrorists with M79's at least. Or the organizers of this imminent civil uprising you keep telling us about (when the funding is wired through). The rest of us aren't worried. I feel much safer at an Army checkpoint than a police one.

And why do you say 'additional 300,000 armed soldiers per year' ?. Is that just a red-shirt lie to agitate the ignorant ?. From what I read, the ones they pick only need to attend training for 2 months. Do you seriously think the Thai Army is going grow by 300,000 men every year ?. cheesy.gif

"It would allow the conscripts to be summoned for a variety of purposes such as helping with disaster relief, enforcing martial law, responding to emergency situations and preparing for war."

The real issue about this (which has gone completely over your head) is that it now takes older people who may have skill in some profession which a developing country needs. Don't worry yourself though, I doubt that applies to you.

Ah John, aren't we lucky to have you telling us less intelligent beings what's what! Much like your preference that the Bangkok elite must continue in perpetuity to tell the peasants what to do, think and say.

Obviously you're sorely needed because very few (even among the junta supporters) see how this latest hair raising proposals can be a good thing, John.

In fact, I'm pretty sure that more/most/the majority see the mind blowing hypocrisy in overthrowing an elected government because of an attempted introduction of an amnesty and then.......oh, what's the use.

Why do you guys keep feeding the troll?

Why do you guys keep feeding the troll?

Because he's OUR troll and we love him!

"the sixth point calls for a special measure to solve unspecified political “dead ends” and “vacuums,” reminiscent of the controversial “chaos clause” of the previous, failed draft document."

If Meechai allows any of these NCPO points into the draft, then he is clearly an advocate of the Junta and not the independent he claims to be. As such his dishonesty would be a betrayal to the Thai people and the final draft would not deserve any credibility in serving the Thai people's independent soverneignty.

Self edit - Almost guilty of troll feeding.

Edited by Thailand

Reading, not only between the lines, but the script itself .... it's clear how the current government are attempting to cover themselves for all eventualities. It's also clear that they now know that they will never win any sort of election so there time is limited to how long they, or he, can stretch this current situation out. As little forethought is going into the "get out of jail" provisions, as to the whole takeover itself. Any law or constitution put in place illegally or under duress, will be invalid. For sure a similar persecution to that of ex-pm Yingluck will be made available to the current self imposed pm by the new legally formed, constituted and elected free government.

There is an old saying that fits this situation exceedingly well, albeit with a minor alteration to bring it up to date: Those that live by the gun ....................

The military has never been held accountable for its actions from 1976 Thammasat massacre to Tak Bai to Ratchadamnoen 1992 to the murder of Rohingyas to the embezzlement of the military budget to selling copy CD's at Jatujak.

Why they think another layer of blanket immunity from prosecution is required is beyond me? What do they have in mind?

If there was ever a shred of hope that the junta was honest in their goal to return Thailand to democracy, that hope has vanished completely with these provisions.

The article focuses on 'honest violence' but I find point 6 in particular very damaging to Thailand's future democracy.

It will be a democracy in name only. And point 6 will enable the army to get rid of any government attempting to change any of those points.

In other words, it doesn't really matter whom you vote for.

The people supporting madman Suthep and the Junta I can only say, you got what you asked for, som nam Na. People that did think saw this coming from a mile away...

As to the usage of the word honest. No one in this junta has any idea what the word means.

Edited by sjaak327

The military has never been held accountable for its actions from 1976 Thammasat massacre to Tak Bai to Ratchadamnoen 1992 to the murder of Rohingyas to the embezzlement of the military budget to selling copy CD's at Jatujak.

Why they think another layer of blanket immunity from prosecution is required is beyond me? What do they have in mind?

"What do they have in mind?"

Now that's a scary question!

Edited by MZurf

Well we have had an "Honest mistake", from a former P.M.

and he got away with it.

regards Worgeordie

The thought along this line crossed my mind. The honest use of force in the war on drugs by a previous administration would receive amnesty also? They might want to be particular with the wording...or not. Is there "wiggle room" to purposely but suripticiously allow for an amnesty to be broader in application?

"the sixth point calls for a special measure to solve unspecified political “dead ends” and “vacuums,” reminiscent of the controversial “chaos clause” of the previous, failed draft document."

If Meechai allows any of these NCPO points into the draft, then he is clearly an advocate of the Junta and not the independent he claims to be. As such his dishonesty would be a betrayal to the Thai people and the final draft would not deserve any credibility in serving the Thai people's independent soverneignty.

do you think that there is any chance that - at all - that Meechai is independent and not a junta lackey?

I love the Army Generals choice of clothes. Where can I get a jacket like that?

I expect it is a one off - it looks like he had it made out of the curtains in Government House!

smile.png

I wonder if that is one of the "special" microphones as well!?

Licenced to kill.

Yes, exactly. What a ridiculous statement to make by a so called leader. What it means is there can be no accountability by the military to the people. They are the only ones who can judge their own actions. A very very dangerous clause to insert into a constitution. It neans that there is no way Thailand can then call itself a democratic country. It also gives them total control on all media and public opinion.

Well put.

Our democratice nations fought two world wars to prevent evil regimes with constitutions like this taking over the world.

And yet we have posters (English John) here today supporting this call by the Junta to pardon themselves and any future military coup makers from recourse to the law.

Incredible.

What about an amnesty for an Honest F/U , like Yingluck and the Rice scheme

I'm glad these Bandits are obviously thinking of the wrong they have done to the people of Thailand while looking after their own interests. If they believed in their own shit they would stand in court and defend it

Edited by This Thing of Darkness

'Honest use of force'.. so basically, they would be able to use force against anyone, anytime, and say 'We were doing it for Thailand', and it would be ok then. An army, by its very existence and, indeed, definition, is there to use force when its country needs it.. to have to request it be exempt from prosecution 'if it uses force in the pursuit of national security', suggests the army, and those within it, are very much inclined to use such actions WHENEVER they wish and still not be held accountable. The request, in itself, gives away the thinking behind it as when else would ANY army need to make such a request, other than to try to have itself granted 'carte blanche' on any possible future actions against.. well, anyone? (Bit like a kid asking not to be punished if he/ she kicks the cat for a 'good' reason, which, of course, would be divulged AFTER the fact, and they'd had time to think of such, anyway!!)... :P

Edited by spectrumisgreen

"vaguely urges the new constitution guarantee the “political rights” and “freedom of political expression” for military personnel"

Concept that military is there to carry out orders of legitimately established government and stay the hell out of politics is just too alien for military here. Why junta wasting time trying to get this written into a Constitution which they can tear up on a whim is hard to fathom, however. The "rules" are whatever military decides they are. Always has been, it's part of "Thainess".

"vaguely urges the new constitution guarantee the political rights and freedom of political expression for military personnel"

Concept that military is there to carry out orders of legitimately established government and stay the hell out of politics is just too alien for military here. Why junta wasting time trying to get this written into a Constitution which they can tear up on a whim is hard to fathom, however. The "rules" are whatever military decides they are. Always has been, it's part of "Thainess".

An attempt to hoodwink everyone into believing that times are changing and the military with them? That the public will not settle for repeated coups and constitutions ad infinitum so time for a new strategy before the military become as loathed as any other greedy and corrupt institution?