California university system revokes honorary Cosby degree

Jonathan Fairfield

California university system revokes honorary Cosby degree

POMONA, Calif. (AP) — The California State University system has become the latest to take back an honorary degree from Bill Cosby.

The Board of Trustees voted Friday to revoke an honorary doctorate given to Cosby by Cal Poly Pomona in 1992.

The Cal State board said in a statement that it was revoking an honorary degree for the first time because Cosby's conduct is contrary to the values of the university system.

With the move the system joins at least a half-dozen other institutions that have revoked degrees in an attempt to distance themselves from the 78-year-old Cosby as he has become embroiled in dozens of allegations of sexual assault. Cosby has not been charged in any of the cases and has denied many of the allegations while not addressing others. A message left with a Cosby representative was not immediately returned.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-11-21

I really do not understand the revoking of donors by this and other universities because he has not been charged.

Yep sure looks like he is guilty in the press but really, a court of law has to show he is guilty.

Hmmm yep I know so many have said bad stuff and its very hard not to accept that...yep I know that from the press I read.

However what if he is innocent?

Guilty in the court of public opinion. The mob has spoken, which sucks. ermm.gif His contributions to show business are legend.

Let's go back to the old saying, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Edited by connda

"The Board of Trustees voted Friday to revoke an honorary doctorate given to Cosby by Cal Poly Pomona in 1992."

I am sure this news has really ruined his life for ever.......

All the people I know who have honorary doctorates from Cal Poly could never bear to be without them.

Guilty in the court of public opinion. The mob has spoken, which sucks. ermm.gif His contributions to show business are legend.

Let's go back to the old saying, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Universities are not courts. They have a right to consider their reputation. An honorary degree is not a real degree; the latter cannot be revoked unless subsequent academic wrongdoing happens to be discovered.

I graduated from the California State University system, and I am proud of this decision. It's just a matter of time when this idiot is behind bars. Maybe karma will rule the day. Remember OJ?

Wow! Now Cosby is being classed as an OJ - a self confessed cold blooded murderer. Isn't it amazing what the press can achieve. If all the Universities there started doing post graduate courses in hindsight and vilification you could have a nation of PhD's.

I don't, and never have liked Cosby. And I have some personal experience related to his behavior toward women (an ex). I have no doubt that he will be found guilty at some point. However...

I don't believe in trial in the press, nor do I condone the present witch-hunt stance of US universities, and their imperious and anti-due-process actions.

They are corrupt toadies to PC and mindless irrationality.

The press are parasites.

Try the guy, or <deleted>.

So say I.

Edited by metisdead
Profane acronym removed.

Honorary degrees arnt worth Jack anyway.

Meaningless bit of paper, its unlikely all the allegations are false and if it turns out hes just a randy old git its still not what you want on your honorary list.

Shallow is as shallow does... give it for being a celeb and take it for the same.. sounds about right.

Where there is smoke there is fire. 20+ accusations of rape sets a theme ya think. Prior depositions from other similar law suits show Cosby admitted to using RX to accusers. Yes, Cosby certainly is not like OJ, however, serial forceable rape is not too far behind.