Buying a second hand bmw

Avrock

The horrors that follow buying a bmw tests a man's nerves..ya of course people with an open mind & somewhat deep pockets can get it done easily through the dealers which in return charge a hefty commission but a person like me with & limited budget often wanders into the grey market..the stories everyone hear about the grey market cars I must say are true..the history behind the cars with altered mileage no service records & also auctioned cars which are considered a bad omen so dropping a significant value in the market..

Please correct me if I'm wrong but it seems M series and AMG are all show and no go in Thailand

You have to differentiate between true M-models (M3, M4, M5..) and normal cars with M-sport package (skirt, interior, breaks). This is the same everywhere.

True M-models are mostly imported through the gray market, but occasionally are sold through dealers. Though at very high prices. My M3 was priced at 9.9MB from the dealer, which of course explains the limited sale.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but it seems M series and AMG are all show and no go in Thailand

You have to differentiate between true M-models (M3, M4, M5..) and normal cars with M-sport package (skirt, interior, breaks). This is the same everywhere.

True M-models are mostly imported through the gray market, but occasionally are sold through dealers. Though at very high prices. My M3 was priced at 9.9MB from the dealer, which of course explains the limited sale.

Correct but I understood made in Thailand and this is M sport package as you correctly mentioned. I understand the negative comments, I like BMW because I appreciate all the high-tech, electrical steering system ( active steering) hydrolic valves,

Correct but I understood made in Thailand and this is M sport package as you correctly mentioned. I understand the negative comments, I like BMW because I appreciate all the high-tech, electrical steering system ( active steering) hydrolic valves,

Sorry, I dont understand what that sentence is supposed to mean..

Sorry, I dont understand what that sentence is supposed to mean..

I think he wants a Ford Wildtrak

Did you get all the aftermarket parts locally or you ordered it yourself?

Saw your mods on the 116, did perform the mods yourself too?

Good work and nicely done.

For the M3, I ordered almost everything myself.

All the retrofits are done by my contact in Singapore. He comes here, bring the parts, install and does the necessary "coding" of the car. They have been here three times now. PM me if you want any work done.

Did you get all the aftermarket parts locally or you ordered it yourself?

Saw your mods on the 116, did perform the mods yourself too?

Good work and nicely done.

For the M3, I ordered almost everything myself.

All the retrofits are done by my contact in Singapore. He comes here, bring the parts, install and does the necessary "coding" of the car. They have been here three times now. PM me if you want any work done.

don't really have anything that needs to be done right now, but good to keep your contact for future reference.

thanks

I'll be of course having a first class insurance in case of accidents so that would be covered..it's the maintenance & the small things I'm worried about like in case of oil leaks etc..I don't think second hand parts would be available even if they do they would be hard to get here won't they ??

You might want to ring a few brokers first to check whether they will cover whatever model / year you want, and on what basis. I bought a 2nd hand Scirocco a few months back (the officially imported 2.0 TSI DSG auto one) and Viriyah said they wouldn't cover it because it was 3 years old; another firm would only cover loss up to 800K (I paid 1.2), while Muang Thai are happy to insure a value of 1.2M.

On the grey market - the grey market 'Roc R's are more powerful but official VW dealers won't service or repair them. I don't know if it's the same with a BMW but I'd guess yes. If you buy a car that's more than 5 years old then it's out of warranty anyway so does it really matter - and there are obviously guys like Mortensaa who can hook you up with mechanics etc.

Personally I'd be reluctant to buy a 5-year old + BMW / VW or any other Euro car unless it's a model that sold well here so that, if it goes wrong, at least parts and mechanics are easier to come by. If I did look for one I'd want one with only 1 or max 2 owners. Some folk are very sensitive to mileage ie lower is always better. However it does depend on why it's lower. I'd take 50,000 km of mostly highway over 30,000 stop-start BKK traffic keep in D foot on brake 5-10 km journeys.

All that said … I bought my 'Roc because I wanted something a little more exciting to drive than a very competent and reliable but bland CRV. I gave that to the wife.

I just bought a 320d M Sport 2010 with 55000km a few months ago and I am very happy with it. Also got some really good advice from one member on this thread.

I have the exact same model

If the 5 year BSI is still active its a good idea to have the BMW outlet check the car over prior to the expiry date.

I just bought a 320d M Sport 2010 with 55000km a few months ago and I am very happy with it. Also got some really good advice from one member on this thread.

If the 5 year BSI is still active its a good idea to have the BMW outlet check the car over prior to the expiry date.

Yes it still had the BSI warranty and I got a few things done for free before it ran out. Car is better than the new ford focus sport I used to have even after 5 years. 55000km is nothing for a BMW and the car is in mint condition. I wont be buying anything other than a BMW or Benz from now on. Edited by dezy1801

Yes it still had the BSI warranty and I got a few things done for free before it ran out. Car is better than the new ford focus sport I used to have even after 5 years. 55000km is nothing for a BMW and the car is in mint condition. I wont be buying anything other than a BMW or Benz from now on.

This is the focus you require but the import duty would be a killer.

post-1136-0-22877400-1448788343_thumb.jp

Yes it still had the BSI warranty and I got a few things done for free before it ran out. Car is better than the new ford focus sport I used to have even after 5 years. 55000km is nothing for a BMW and the car is in mint condition. I wont be buying anything other than a BMW or Benz from now on.
I wonder if you will still hold that opinion in 12 months time. I bought a new 520d when we first came to live here...it had the suspect engine ...N47 ... got shut of it just in time.

Guys I'm way over my head here...I've seen a decent 2009 325i...the car is in immaculate condition & boy does it feel nice to be seated inside such a beauty..the owner is asking 800k..it's a grey market import but all taxes have been cleared..the only problem is that it doesn't have the idrive system..now I've spent all day trying to figure out how to get one installed & how much this project would cost me..now I'm a guy who wants to go an extra step to save a few bucks..any suggestions from the experienced enthusiasts out here smile.png

Send me a PM. I have retrofitted three iDrives and a whole bunch of other stuff smile.png

This is one of my cars: http://f20.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1182160

why has no one pointed out the idrive costs half the price he is looking at paying for the car?

I wonder if you will still hold that opinion in 12 months time. I bought a new 520d when we first came to live here...it had the suspect engine ...N47 ... got shut of it just in time.
Who knows if I will still hold that opinion or not but as it stands the car has been checked out and I am very happy with my second hand car. Not all the N47 engines has that problem so maybe I will get lucky or maybe not.

Guys I'm way over my head here...I've seen a decent 2009 325i...the car is in immaculate condition & boy does it feel nice to be seated inside such a beauty..the owner is asking 800k..it's a grey market import but all taxes have been cleared..the only problem is that it doesn't have the idrive system..now I've spent all day trying to figure out how to get one installed & how much this project would cost me..now I'm a guy who wants to go an extra step to save a few bucks..any suggestions from the experienced enthusiasts out here smile.png

Send me a PM. I have retrofitted three iDrives and a whole bunch of other stuff smile.png

This is one of my cars: http://f20.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1182160

why has no one pointed out the idrive costs half the price he is looking at paying for the car?

I've got a quotation for the Idrive system without the dash...just the system plus the coding costs around us1200..

Avrock There are a few posters who are equating owning a BMW here the same as owning one back home. Nothing could be farther from the truth, they are cheap to fix and maintain here. I would say only slightly higher to fix than a Japanese car.

If you live in Bangkok its really cheap as there are used parts easily available. I have owned a 94 e36 318i for the last nine years and being an old car i have to fix different parts on it yearly. Some parts I won't buy used but some are perfectly fine depending on how critical they are to the engine.

For an E46 the three most expensive repairs would be: replace engine 30K used and fitted about 10k, replace transmission 60K for a rebuilt. Complete air con. system new 30K fitted. I just replaced my AC compressor last week used 3,500, fitted another 1,200 a two hour job including vacuuming the system.

Oil change with filter and synthetic oil costs 800 bath.

Stay away from the dealerships they can be expensive but I have had good luck there on some instances.

Edited by marinediscoking

Avrock There are a few posters who are equating owning a BMW here the same as owning one back home. Nothing could be farther from the truth, they are cheap to fix and maintain here. I would say only slightly higher to fix than a Japanese car.

If you live in Bangkok its really cheap as there are used parts easily available. I have owned a 94 e36 318i for the last nine years and being an old car i have to fix different parts on it yearly. Some parts I won't buy used but some are perfectly fine depending on how critical they are to the engine.

For an E46 the three most expensive repairs would be: replace engine 30K used and fitted about 10k, replace transmission 60K for a rebuilt. Complete air con. system new 30K fitted. I just replaced my AC compressor last week used 3,500, fitted another 1,200 a two hour job including vacuuming the system.

Stay away from the dealerships they can be expensive but I have had good luck there on some instances.

I wish i could find these amazing deals my OEM oil filter costs 1100 Baht and the real deal fully synthetic oil is 500 Baht for 1liter

I wish i could find these amazing deals my OEM oil filter costs 1100 Baht and the real deal fully synthetic oil is 500 Baht for 1liter

yes you are correct. forgot the one. oil and filter is 1,800.

Edited by marinediscoking

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a 2009 series 3 about 1 month ago. My advice is stick to one that is totally standard, owned by a middle aged woman, with a full service history, get it checked out first where it has been serviced. Stay away from the ones owned by little rich Thai 20 year olds. I say go for it...

Cars owned by middle aged women still suffer problems. I have a friend in Australia who happens to be a middle aged woman that bought a new 320 about 5 years ago. Her Transmission went about a year ago, after the 3 year warranty had expired. Luckily for her, BMW replaced the entire Trans for free. I wonder if they would do the same for a new owner if the car had be sold?

Cars owned by middle aged women still suffer problems. I have a friend in Australia who happens to be a middle aged woman that bought a new 320 about 5 years ago. Her Transmission went about a year ago, after the 3 year warranty had expired. Luckily for her, BMW replaced the entire Trans for free. I wonder if they would do the same for a new owner if the car had be sold?

Most new BMW's use the ZF eight-speed transmission (like many other brands today), and while its very reliable, there has been a few cases where it break down. I think BMW probably have a very good return policy with ZF. And transmission is supposed to last the lifetime of a car. I heard of cases where BMW replace it for free after 5 years, and then it might be a shared cost after that.